Options

The Boys of Webcomics

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    GCMRZaL.png

Hey Surma do you know what the Court is planning in today's Gunnerkrigg Court?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    we're reaching peak Soft Boy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So that's where this was leading. Not sure if this is going to be handled well.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    klemming wrote: »

taken with the DoA comic from yesterday, this is better character development for a dude what seemed like a bro-ish horndog than I thought Willis could do

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

taken with the DoA comic from yesterday, this is better character development for a dude what seemed like a bro-ish horndog than I thought Willis could do

At any given moment, your actions can create a Megatron or an Optimus Prime, Joe.

Wait, Joe's a transformers fan, right?

• Options
    Wait, Joe's a transformers fan, right?
    I don't think so? Ethan and Amber are the big fans, at least.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm trying to fill my facebook profile album up with brown people from webcomics. Going to the brothers from Girl Genius and Rebekah from Mare Internum (she made a friend this week), and I have Captain toma. Anyone else besides monster pulse?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I feel like that robot boy in QC is going to get his hair ruffled one time too many and go on a bloody rampage. Nobody likes that shit.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

my opinion re: headruffling
    thisisafetishforsomebody

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I feel like that robot boy in QC is going to get his hair ruffled one time too many and go on a bloody rampage. Nobody likes that shit.

no ruffle my hair constantly please, stroke it until the heat death of the universe

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    i'll let anyone play with my hair tbh

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Scratch my head and/or play with my hair and I become a drooling baby

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    Second dancer running her hands through my hair was the best part of my visit.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I really like it when people grind their wretched oily fleshy pseudopods into my head follicles

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Scratch my head and/or play with my hair and I become a drooling baby

As opposed to the rest of the time??????????

?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Head scratchies is a completely different thing from some smarmy adult coming over and planting their big sweaty hand on your head and just mashing hair into your scalp in a fit of paternal glee like we're trapped on the Andy Griffith Show.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I did not know there was a Hannalore iPod character before four strips ago

How do all these characters know about him, like Bubbles? I guess Momo makes sense, but the relatively recent war bot arc?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to fill my facebook profile album up with brown people from webcomics. Going to the brothers from Girl Genius and Rebekah from Mare Internum (she made a friend this week), and I have Captain toma. Anyone else besides monster pulse?

Couple of characters in Dumbing of Age - Walky and Sal I think are half black, and there's also Sarah and Jacob. Fran from Love me Nice. There are many brown folks in Unsounded, but I don't follow it enough anymore to remember thier names. Delilah Dirk has the Turkish lieutenant. Blindsprings has Street.

I think that's all I got.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Couple of characters in Dumbing of Age - Walky and Sal I think are half black, and there's also Sarah and Jacob. Fran from Love me Nice. There are many brown folks in Unsounded, but I don't follow it enough anymore to remember thier names. Delilah Dirk has the Turkish lieutenant. Blindsprings has Street.

I think that's all I got.

Roy from OotS. Durkon might count but he isn't a human (also currently possessed by a world-ending vampire spirit).

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I did not know there was a Hannalore iPod character before four strips ago

How do all these characters know about him, like Bubbles? I guess Momo makes sense, but the relatively recent war bot arc?

That character has existed in the strip for a long time. There's no reason to assume just because he hasn't appeared in recent stories none of the characters have interacted with him. Jeph often jumps ahead in time between story arcs.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular

Bubbles and soft boy go way back, they fought together in the Liberation of Neo-Michigan and the battlegrounds of Roko's Awakening. There's a lot of blood on those soft, soft hands

• Options

That character has existed in the strip for a long time. There's no reason to assume just because he hasn't appeared in recent stories none of the characters have interacted with him. Jeph often jumps ahead in time between story arcs.

They've met.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Not quite sure I see the social commentary point they are trying to make here.

This is a sentient robot. Which means she was created by humans for the purpose of being a humans companion. hanners 'bought' or 'acquired' him like a slave (No matter how well hes treated or whatever the intent the comparison is apt).
    The Body was gifted to him by Hanners...He apparently has no money himself so hes completely reliant on Hanners for everything short of him getting a job.

So any "Privilege" acquired here was gifted to him by his 'controller/owner/master', so hes suppose to feel guilty about it?

Meanwhile the admitted robot felon is pissy that she has to work for a living as a result of her own actions and choices, and is upset that the robot body she was given by the government because she didnt get to pick the color or butt size? yet she is not privileged to have what she has?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

A reminder that the team is passing through a monster-filled apocalyptic hellscape on foot in Stand Still Stay Silent.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    the breadth of the variability of the infected troll forms is absolutely terrifying

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    azith28 wrote: »

Not quite sure I see the social commentary point they are trying to make here.

This is a sentient robot. Which means she was created by humans for the purpose of being a humans companion. hanners 'bought' or 'acquired' him like a slave (No matter how well hes treated or whatever the intent the comparison is apt).
    The Body was gifted to him by Hanners...He apparently has no money himself so hes completely reliant on Hanners for everything short of him getting a job.

So any "Privilege" acquired here was gifted to him by his 'controller/owner/master', so hes suppose to feel guilty about it?

Meanwhile the admitted robot felon is pissy that she has to work for a living as a result of her own actions and choices, and is upset that the robot body she was given by the government because she didnt get to pick the color or butt size? yet she is not privileged to have what she has?

Basically, yeah. Kind of like how a child who was lucky enough to be born into a wealthy family should acknowledge that privilege when their parents buy them a car and can send them on various extravagant vacations.

EDIT: Also I think they went over the rules about robot companionship, and I think it's more like adoption? Like, the human opts-in, and there's an organization or something that tries to pair the human up with a robot that's a good fit, but I'm pretty sure it has to be consensual on both sides? Like, the robot can't be paired with someone against their will, and is able to say no.

Javen on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I just don't think the comparison works in this situation. May has been shown to have a pretty shitty attitude about everything, so either you try to make the argument that shes a disgruntled person who screwed herself by committing crimes and her arguments are not suppose to be given much weight, or that May should not be greatful of anything she has right now...a job, a human companion, her freedom dispite her crime.

It doesn't really matter how nice they are about the adoption. The society that seems to be on a pedestal here is one very close to indentured servitude. They Create a manufactured 'life' make it reliant on its human (Look at Winslows body before this storyline and how vulnerable and reliant on its human it was), and as we have seen with May, its improvement is apparently dependant on how 'nicely' you serve your human and on that humans ability and willingness to provide support.

Sure, you could make the comparison of everything I said about human children...except these beings are born aware and sentient with intelligence. a child has no choice but to rely on its parents...An AI is basically a brain in a box when its born....think about that...would you be very picky or selective about what human took you out of that box as long as it happen? It's a slave being sold thinking 'well it can't be worse than where i am now'.

Sure I'm overthinking this. I just prefer my comics without the SocJus in it at all if they can't do it without making it seem so hypocritical. Look at the comic "Herd Thinners". I love how it constantly is treating itself like many of its characters are so much better 'people' because they take the high road....all while Literally EATING people who disagree with them.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The exact nature of the robot-human relationship in the cases of pintsize/marten or winston/hanners has kinda shifted a lot since JJ started the comic. I think they were more like advanced, co-habiting appliances early on but probably because he hadn't really thought about it much yet.

So now we have a kinda weird grey area where that relationship doesn't seem very well defined because it's changed a lot over the years as the characters have grown and their relationships have changed. In the end I don't think the exact nature is that important anymore, personally.

• Options
    gwd4n7hh8qss.jpg
    Atomic Robo

At any point in time, Sir Richard Branson is trying to pull many things.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I could be wrong, but I think the only reason JJ brought up privilege in that instance is probably to try to illustrate a situation where just because you're a good person, and the person you have privilege over is a bad person, that doesn't make the privilege go away somehow. I also don't think it goes away if you look at the relationships as slavery instead of the light style of thing that JJ is actually going for - if anything a slavery metaphor makes the privilege worse.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
This discussion has been closed.