As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular

Dragon Descending is awesome. I read the comment about it earning you "just 4 more Doom points". Yeah! 4 more Doom points is a lot! Besides, I think it is possible, most games, to end a turn with 4 gates and Yog' on the board, which gives 15 total Doom points, plus an Elder Sign, with Dragon Descending. That's over half a victory in one turn.

More than any other faction, I think Opener is reliant on having one big turn. The threat of Dragon Descending is super real. 4 gates and Yog is quite doable, especially if you go for a turn 2 Yog and use Dragon Ascending to refund your costs, and if you catch people sleeping (like if they spend turn 2 summoning their respective old ones) you might even be able to grab 5 gates and Yog. That's 2/3rds of the way to a win.

I guess this doesn't really address @MrBody 's original concerns, though, because this is absolutely a rush strategy. I see Opener as a fast, aggressive faction, so it makes sense that it doesn't have as much late game utility--that would make it pretty busted.

Now that said, I could imagine a more cautious Opener game that sticks to three on-board gates plus Yog for the whole game; turtling up and using Beyond-One to protect gates, maybe trying to rattlesnake people with Channel Power? If you can get off two rituals with this strategy, a turn 4 win with it is possible, and you'll certainly cross the 30 point threshold during turn 5's doom phase.

• Options
    MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    Saurfang wrote: »
    More than any other faction, I think Opener is reliant on having one big turn. The threat of Dragon Descending is super real. 4 gates and Yog is quite doable, especially if you go for a turn 2 Yog and use Dragon Ascending to refund your costs, and if you catch people sleeping (like if they spend turn 2 summoning their respective old ones) you might even be able to grab 5 gates and Yog. That's 2/3rds of the way to a win.

I guess this doesn't really address @MrBody 's original concerns, though, because this is absolutely a rush strategy. I see Opener as a fast, aggressive faction, so it makes sense that it doesn't have as much late game utility--that would make it pretty busted.

Now that said, I could imagine a more cautious Opener game that sticks to three on-board gates plus Yog for the whole game; turtling up and using Beyond-One to protect gates, maybe trying to rattlesnake people with Channel Power? If you can get off two rituals with this strategy, a turn 4 win with it is possible, and you'll certainly cross the 30 point threshold during turn 5's doom phase.
    I think I would play cautiously and try to time Dragon Ascending when I could do both a Ritual before the action phase and summon Yog' that round to get as close to 0 as possible while still benefiting from that Ritual.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hey, I just hope you like it, otherwise you'll resent me for enabling you.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I won't lie to you - our fate is now intertwined.

> DarkPrimus
    > MegaMan001

... oh yeah, there's no way this doesn't end in a multi-phase boss-fight in a giant castle shaped like a skull

Sound track should be pretty damn awesome, though ...

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DP i just left you a few messages on Steam.

OUR FATE IS INTERWTINED.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Oh, also if any of you bros know of a Gloomhaven 2.0 box for sale, just buy it and message me directly.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Megaman over here pulling a KLF

• Options
    My wife and I are starting Pandemic Legacy 2 tonight and I am VERY EXCITED! probably just do the prologue, with it being a school night and all.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I've asked this before in this thread but i'll ask agian, how does one actually buy Kingdom Death today?

EDIT: When I ask that question, I already know when you search "Kingdom" and or "Death" you get numerous single figure hits, but like, not actual game to playl

I wouldnt go with a third party just yet. They are very likely going to be offering it on there website for the retail price as a 1.5 core set soon. I'm sure he bought quite a few extra when they just did this new run to sell himself. If you go looking on ebay you probably are paying scalpers prices.

Edit: Little late since you bought it already.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I missed both Kingdom: Death and Gloomhaven 2.0 on kickstarter and it's SUPER ANNOYING to know that you missed out on a board game because you weren't IN TOUCH with the online sales / Kickstarter for these highly rated game.

Justl like, sell this shit in the store?

HOLD THE PHONE

You can still pre-order it!

https://kingdom-death-monster-15.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

$300 go go go
    Well. Just bought that. Thank you. You evil, vile, son of a bitch.

One of us.
    One of us.

• Options
    I'm helping!

I'm going to Double Post and I don't give a shit for the ramifications. I've been here since 2003.

DP, thank you good sir, my order went through I will be receiving Kingdom: Death: Whatever the FUCK when it releases next.

Thank you for the link and thank you for the honesty and the opportunity to actually buy a game that I've ONLY READ ABOUT.

I owe you one, let me know when I can pay it back.

Not to be the doubly evil guy, but i think you will be able to buy a copy of Gloomhaven soon as well. They are about to start shipping the US KS copies and I'm sure the second printing included quite a bit of backlog given how many overorders there were from the first KS.

• Options
    I really hope you're right, I am planning to use it as a gateway drug to get some friends into Dungeons and Dragons.

• Options
    Well you have KDM already for that. KDM is just a bit more streamlined version of D&D i think, just one that does not require a DM.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well you have KDM already for that. KDM is just a bit more streamlined version of D&D i think, just one that does not require a DM.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh. KDM has you all playing the settlement tho really. The characters themselves are a secondary resource that you'll lose a lot, quickly and suddenly. That's sort of different than the focus for D&D.

• Options
    Eh, I think the settlement is equivilent to visiting a town, or building up your own stronghold. sure it has its different focus points but just a general introduction to the mechanics of D&D, rolling to hit etc, is fairly good. It's not going to get into the massive rule charts of D&D, its simplified. If they like that, they can move onto deeper systems but for new players i think it actually is a pretty good stepping stone into D&D.

• Options
    Eh, I think the settlement is equivilent to visiting a town, or building up your own stronghold. sure it has its different focus points but just a general introduction to the mechanics of D&D, rolling to hit etc, is fairly good. It's not going to get into the massive rule charts of D&D, its simplified. If they like that, they can move onto deeper systems but for new players i think it actually is a pretty good stepping stone into D&D.

Maybe. I just think the death rate might turn some folks off. Our last attempt at playing had a dedicated decades long D&D player and she hated the game. She said "Nothing good ever happens."

• Options
    Sure the difficulty curve is higher. I'm purely talking about game mechanics tho.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven reprint is starting to ship. Mine should be here early next week. I'm pretty excited for that.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Has anyone played The Expanse board game? Just looking for some opinions, I have a friend that I play Twilight Struggle with and we both really enjoy it and would love to get a similar experience but with more players.

It's fun. It's the cool card system on top of a pretty straightforward area majority game. If you like those is worth checking out for sure. It's way way lighter than Twilight Struggle, so if you're looking for something if that caliber probably look elsewhere.

@El mucho here's a good review that just popped up on BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1884472/twilight-expanse-space-biff-review

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular

Has anyone played The Expanse board game? Just looking for some opinions, I have a friend that I play Twilight Struggle with and we both really enjoy it and would love to get a similar experience but with more players.

It's fun. It's the cool card system on top of a pretty straightforward area majority game. If you like those is worth checking out for sure. It's way way lighter than Twilight Struggle, so if you're looking for something if that caliber probably look elsewhere.

@El mucho here's a good review that just popped up on BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1884472/twilight-expanse-space-biff-review

That review is definitely pushing me towards a purchase.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Maybe. I just think the death rate might turn some folks off. Our last attempt at playing had a dedicated decades long D&D player and she hated the game. She said "Nothing good ever happens."

I call bullshit on that... We made two babies and crafted two axes, a knife, a badass cat spear, and a new pair of pants for Cassie. Not to mention all the buildings we made, and the foundations of religion. A lot of good stuff happened. Only one person died!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

That review is definitely pushing me towards a purchase.

Me - "Hey what's this game?"
    PA - "Read this link!"
    Amazon - Delivery expected Saturday

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      RendRend Registered User regular

I call bullshit on that... We made two babies and crafted two axes, a knife, a badass cat spear, and a new pair of pants for Cassie. Not to mention all the buildings we made, and the foundations of religion. A lot of good stuff happened. Only one person died!

The kdm experience is very brittle in this way. There are enough unavoidable bad things that can happen in an up opportunity where good things could happen that some plays are just constant suffering until you die. In order to be a fan of kdm, which I am, you have to be a fan in spite of the absurdly random nature of the game's tone and pacing

• Options
      LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
      Anyone willing to talk me out of buying the Expanse boardgame, Blood Rage, or Sidereal Confluence?

• Options
      InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      KDM sounds like OG D&D, but not the modern version.

• Options
      RendRend Registered User regular
      Inquisitor wrote: »

Old school dnd is definitely closer to KDM than any version published after 2nd edition is or has been
      Though I still don't consider the comparison super apt. It's like dnd in the same way that all video games are nintendo games.

• Options
      Inquisitor wrote: »

That was my thought as well. In the old days you just had legions of followers and hirelings to soak up traps and one-hit-kills, and if your PC bought it, you just had a new character sheet ready for when the group got back to town...or one of the cannon fodder just got an instant promotion. Old D&D is the party over individual.

Similartly, KDM features the town, not the individual, and someone who gets mangled and can't fight anymore is not necessarily a big tragedy, because their stats might help for town events, and the battle they got beat up in might have provided crucial resources that lead to important advancements.

• Options
      Lykouragh wrote: »
      Anyone willing to talk me out of buying the Expanse boardgame, Blood Rage, or Sidereal Confluence?

Don't buy those games! Just think of all the games you already have, man!

I gave it a shot. The Expanse is real fun and I would really like to try Sideareal Confluence too... So yknow...

• Options
      edited November 2017

That's what I think! But she's always been "magic treasure or GTFO". That's why she said Massive Darkness was so good; she doesn't like challenge, she just likes easy rewards.

Not that that's bad; hell I love that in my video games. But hell we made an axe out of two shards of bone tied together with a lung

That's awesome!

Magic Pink on
    • Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

The only play reports I've seen from the Sidereal Confluence have been pretty poor. Mostly that games play out identically which seems maddening given the premise of being a diplomatic trade game

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options

I gave it a shot. The Expanse is real fun and I would really like to try Sideareal Confluence too... So yknow...

Thanks for the heroic attempt :)

• Options
      tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
      Maybe once people get used to the strategy of Sidereal Confluence games play out similarly, but having done a 7-player game and had a lot of fun I didn't see a clearly winning strategy. I think it's a game that does get better the more people are playing.

• Options

I'll have you know all of those games are racist against the French.

• Options
      Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The only play reports I've seen from the Sidereal Confluence have been pretty poor. Mostly that games play out identically which seems maddening given the premise of being a diplomatic trade game

Can you link me?

• Options

That's what I think! But she's always been "magic treasure or GTFO". That's why she said Massive Darkness was so good; she doesn't like challenge, she just likes easy rewards.

Not that that's bad; hell I love that in my video games. But hell we made an axe out of two shards of bone tied together with a lung

That's awesome!

Frankly the amount of loot in Massive Darkness was kinda a turn-off for me. It beggared the imagination just how much STUFF fell out of every enemy and chest like a pinata. It was hard to feel anything about any particular item, too, because most of it was functionally identical.

• Options

I'll have you know all of those games are racist against the French.

Also if I keep buying games eventually my house will connect to yours via a portal in the Boardgame Dimension ...

• Options
      Any opinions on must have expansions for Kingdom Death Monster?

• Options
      KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
      So, despite my mixed feelings on TI4 thus far, it looks like the copy I pre-ordered back in August will be arriving by Tuesday. My old TI3 group has been scattered to the wind, and it was a friend of mine who actually owned the game, so I decided to go for TI4 as the better choice for my current gaming group since none of them have played TI3 at all. It should be a great experience for them, and we'll likely only play it once every 4 months or so at best, so hopefully they'll have an expansion that addresses some of my issues with the game by the time we actually manage enough plays that the others will be ready for some changes.

• Options
      MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
      Ketar wrote: »
      So, despite my mixed feelings on TI4 thus far, it looks like the copy I pre-ordered back in August will be arriving by Tuesday. My old TI3 group has been scattered to the wind, and it was a friend of mine who actually owned the game, so I decided to go for TI4 as the better choice for my current gaming group since none of them have played TI3 at all. It should be a great experience for them, and we'll likely only play it once every 4 months or so at best, so hopefully they'll have an expansion that addresses some of my issues with the game by the time we actually manage enough plays that the others will be ready for some changes.
      My group had been playing TI3 once a month; last game was 2 months ago when I declared it the "last game of TI3" and I actually played with the grey pieces so they were at least 'used.' Just received my TI4 yesterday (in Australia) and have it all punched and bagged. It's a great piece of work, visually, and I like what I've read in the rules. We'll see how it goes before I sell off all my TI3 stuff.

• Options
      El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

For what it's worth, since no one else mentioned it, Blood Rage is a pretty good game. My group only played it once, but it sits on a shelf, with sweet, solid-looking minis, ready to be played again.

I should really bring that out again at board game night this weekend.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
      Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

For what it's worth, since no one else mentioned it, Blood Rage is a pretty good game. My group only played it once, but it sits on a shelf, with sweet, solid-looking minis, ready to be played again.

I should really bring that out again at board game night this weekend.

It's too late anyway my willpower ran out like half an hour ago. Then I read this lore thread about Sidereal Confluence and now my hype levels are increasing exponentially. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1869473/trying-understanding-depth-design