As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    That Duckworth joke is the second time a modern Disney show has implied that and its never not hilarious

Scrooge is very motivated to remain immortal.
    Of course, considering Duckworth's alternate form, that's not too surprising. I mean, presumably, if Scrooge was going up, his undead butler would have a decidedly less demonic appearance.

Not surprising considering how much magic, dark or otherwise, he’s dabbled/run into over the years.
    Some of the filler is meh (even when it gets a callback in the finale like a certain crustacean here), but when it’s hitting on all cylinders like this episode I’m hard pressed to think of a cartoon that’s been better.

Even the filler episodes that fall flat get a free pass from me, because I've come to realize that a lot of them are nostalgiabait for subfandoms that don't include me.

The Fethry episode, for example, was throwing a bone to fans of the Italian comics. That's a subfandom I'm way outside of, but there are people who absolutely adore those stories. For every episode like that, I know another Darkwing Duck episode is coming, so I'm fine with it. When you play the nostalgiabait game, especially with a show drawing from as many sources as this one, you have to learn how to share.

This is fair. Prior to this thread I didn’t even know that serious Ducktales comics existed, let alone how popularity were in other countries.

To put on my pedantic hat (it is really a quite fancy hat), they're not "Ducktales" comics, since they're not based on the show (or really the other way around). Here, they're known as Donald-comics or simply Disney comics. (Which here is synonymous with Donald, Mickey, their friends, and some really obscure ones like Br'er Rabbit.)

And it is huge. In its heyday, a third of all households here subscribed to Donald Duck magazine. It's still the most sold magazine (of any kind).
    Some of the filler is meh (even when it gets a callback in the finale like a certain crustacean here), but when it’s hitting on all cylinders like this episode I’m hard pressed to think of a cartoon that’s been better.

Even the filler episodes that fall flat get a free pass from me, because I've come to realize that a lot of them are nostalgiabait for subfandoms that don't include me.

The Fethry episode, for example, was throwing a bone to fans of the Italian comics. That's a subfandom I'm way outside of, but there are people who absolutely adore those stories. For every episode like that, I know another Darkwing Duck episode is coming, so I'm fine with it. When you play the nostalgiabait game, especially with a show drawing from as many sources as this one, you have to learn how to share.
    see317 wrote: »
    The next he's literally humiliating Greek gods in their own home.
    Bombie's origin story in the comics began with the richest duck in the world telling a Voodoo tribe that they're foolish for putting religious worship above the financial wellbeing of their people.

The Greek pantheon may be satisfied with punishing mortal hubris by chucking a few lightning bolts in a guy's general direction and calling it a day, but the Voodoo pantheon knows how to hold a fucking grudge.

To keep my pedantry hat on (it really is fancy), the comics origins of BtZ is quite a bit darker and very different.
    This is a very early Carl Barks story about Scrooge, while he still had his original characterisation of a villainous robber baron. The origin of Bombie is told in a flashback.

While Scrooge was in Africa in his younger days, he wanted to buy a rubber forest from some natives, who didn't want to sell. So he sicced some local thugs on them, forcing the natives to sell to Scrooge. As a revenge, the local voodoo priest sent Bombie the Zombie (a voodoo zombie, not a Romero zombie) after Scrooge, to use voodoo magic to get Scrooge shrunk to the size of a (non-anthropomorphic) mouse.

(Bombie didn't find Scrooge until the present day, and now Scrooge doesn't look like his younger self, but Donald does…)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Also, just finished the season.

And although very different from the comics version, this alternate take on the Ducks is very good.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I love how the show is taking things from the comics (apparently ALL the comics) and the old show while mixing it up with new stuff to make a casserole of goodness.

Like, this show's marrying the backgrounds of comic Glomgold (who came from South Africa) and old show Glomgold (who came from Scotland) is just plain brilliant. Plus we now have Glomgold bragging about how he's the most Scottish.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So thanks to we hate movies I found out the money tree episode is a wuzzles refeernce

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Here's a thing: apparently enough people tweeted about watching Darkwing Duck on the newly-launched Disney+ that Darkwing trended on Twitter.

Here's hoping that has enough power to get exec notice...

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yes please, I need a new Darkwing Duck with the animation style of the new Ducktales. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Here's a thing: apparently enough people tweeted about watching Darkwing Duck on the newly-launched Disney+ that Darkwing trended on Twitter.

I umm... may have been one of these >.>

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Good Man (dog? Helicopter?)

Keep up the excellent work

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

All are accurate/acceptable

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

All are accurate/acceptable

Good Mandoghelicopter then!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    More Della please.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yes more Ducktales is what I want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    But goddamn it will be good to see some of those crossovers at last.

Absalon on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Will this season be on Disney+ as it airs or when out finishes? Last I checked they didn't even have the full most recent season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    AT LAST

Yes please gosh. I have been so waiting for Ducktales to continue.

• Options
    Will this season be on Disney+ as it airs or when out finishes? Last I checked they didn't even have the full most recent season.

Probably after if Owl house is any indication.

Ill just buy the season again I guess. Disney really needs to get this figured put

• Options
    edited March 2020
    cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to find out who Bebe Neuwirth and Clancy Brown are voicing.

• Options
    Giancarlo Esposito for me.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Doug Jones... in a speaking role? Interesting...

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Synopses for the first few episodes are floating around the internet if you want to go looking for them.
    Viskod wrote: »
    I cannot wait to find out who Bebe Neuwirth and Clancy Brown are voicing.

Clancy Brown has got to be Taurus Bulba, right?

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Doug Jones... in a speaking role? Interesting...

He did Abe Sapien in Hellboy 2and most of the DTV stuff

• Options
    Synopses for the first few episodes are floating around the internet if you want to go looking for them.

Oh man. There's an episode of the show named
    Quack Pack? After the kind of crappy, short-lived, non-beloved Donald Duck show in the 90s?

This show, man.

• Options

Oh man. There's an episode of the show named
    Quack Pack? After the kind of crappy, short-lived, non-beloved Donald Duck show in the 90s?

This show, man.

Promo art from last year's Comic Con:
    a0ewqfn92eoc.jpeg

Compare to the original:
    QuackPack.jpg

A few comments I made at the time:
    The show {Quack Pack} does have the distinction of being the first series to give the triplets their own individual personalities, which were basically the same as the ones they have in the Ducktales reboot, but all mixed up. Huey was the troublemaker, Dewey was the intellectual, and Louie was the athlete. Beakley and Scrooge are wearing their clothing from the old Ducktales, while Donald is wearing his classic sailor uniform from his old shorts.

• Options
    I hope Della is in the intro this season

• Options

One thing I really respect about this show is that, in an era where the conventional wisdom is that all kids' shows need to be screwball comedies that can be easily broken up into 30 second clips on youtube in order to hold children's attention, Ducktales unapologetically advertises itself as an adventure show.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Goof Troop era Goofy now?

Jeez, this really is becoming the D(isney) A(fternoon) U(niverse).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    My body is ready.

• Options
    eeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Dewey and Fella had already done the Good Troop movie dance, so yeah, it's already a shared universe.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And Dewey (I think) and Della were singing Powerline if I'm not mistaken

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

Dewey and Fella had already done the Good Troop movie dance, so yeah, it's already a shared universe.

Fella Duck is my new headcanon name for Rule 63 Della. Thanks for that.

• Options
    Theres a clip floating around out there from what I assume is the quack pack episode.

Its gonna be a great episode

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Of course my DVR didn't record the new episodes today. Luckily On Demand exists.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Of course my DVR didn't record the new episodes today. Luckily On Demand exists.

The show has moved from Disney Channel to Disney XD. You probably need to delete your old timer make a new one.

• Options
    have they aired already?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

The show has moved from Disney Channel to Disney XD. You probably need to delete your old timer make a new one.

Oh so I'm not going to be able to watch this season unless/until it becomes available on demand. Good to know.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »
    have they aired already?

This morning yeah

The disney now app has the first episode up for free. Both if you have cable

I only saw the first. Its really good. Violet gets a much needed spotlight and also
    She has two dads and they are very clear about it

King Riptor on