Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I remember listening to a radio program from Australia, talking about the appalling condition the Aussie Indigenous population was living in. One expert said "We need to look at how other countries have changed. Like Canada, they have good policies"

I choked on whatever I was eating at the moment.

The sad truth is that, while we do treat our First Nation people horribly, we're still well ahead of the rest of the world in respecting them and affirming their rights.

Which is not to say that we're doing well, but that the rest of the world is complete shit towards them.

Yeah compared to how the Ainu people of Japan were and still are treated, we're definitely reaching a middle.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The only way to rectify and balance the situation is a massive transfer of wealth/land/both and to give them some true nation/state power... And that's 100% never going to happen and would be political suicide of the highest order.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    I remember listening to a radio program from Australia, talking about the appalling condition the Aussie Indigenous population was living in. One expert said "We need to look at how other countries have changed. Like Canada, they have good policies"

The sad truth is that, while we do treat our First Nation people horribly, we're still well ahead of the rest of the world in respecting them and affirming their rights.

Which is not to say that we're doing well, but that the rest of the world is complete shit towards them.

Yeah compared to how the Ainu people of Japan were and still are treated, we're definitely reaching a middle.

Or the shit Americans do to their First Nations.

sig.gif
  • Options

Or the shit Americans do to their First Nations.

Ouch. That's all pretty fucked.

• Options
    So my Conservative-voting parents forwarded me an email forwarded from my Conservative-voting aunt forwarded from somewhere else in the family, about how inadmissible it is that refugees are getting more money from the Canadian government than CPP recipients.

I just replied with an Mclean's article from 2013 with quotes from Harper and Flaherty about how they oppose any expansion of CPP and they believe retirement is a personal responsibility to save money.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    So my Conservative-voting parents forwarded me an email forwarded from my Conservative-voting aunt forwarded from somewhere else in the family, about how inadmissible it is that refugees are getting more money from the Canadian government than CPP recipients.

I just replied with an Mclean's article from 2013 with quotes from Harper and Flaherty about how they oppose any expansion of CPP and they believe retirement is a personal responsibility to save money.

Besides that fact, that particular rumor has been debunked many times over. Snopes has an article on it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/refugees.asp
    Relevant quote:

Refugees don’t receive more financial assistance from the federal government than Canadian pensioners. In [a letter to the Toronto Star], a one-time, start-up payment provided to some refugees in Canada was mistaken for an ongoing, monthly payment. Unfortunately, although the newspaper published a clarification, the misleading information had already spread widely over e-mail and the internet.

In truth, about three quarters of refugees receive financial assistance from the federal government, for a limited time, and at levels lower than Canadian pensioners. They are known as government-assisted refugees.

We have to remember that many of these people are fleeing from unimaginable hardship, and have lived in refugee camps for several years. Others are victims of trauma or torture in their home countries. Many arrive with little more than a few personal belongings, if that. Canada has a humanitarian role to accept refugees and help them start their new lives here.

For this reason, government-assisted refugees get a one-time payment of up to $1,095 from the federal government to cover essentials — basic, start-up needs like food, furniture and clothing. They also receive a temporary monthly allowance for food and shelter that is based on provincial social assistance rates. In Ontario, for example, a single refugee would receive $592 per month. This assistance is temporary — lasting only for one year or until they can find a job, whichever comes first.

This short-term support for refugees is a far cry from the lifetime benefits for Canada’s seniors. The Old Age Security (OAS) program, for example, provides people who have lived in Canada for at least 10 years with a pension at age 65. The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) is an additional monthly benefit for low-income pensioners. The Canada Pension Plan (CPP), or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) for people in Quebec, pays a monthly retirement pension to people who have worked and contributed to the plan over their career. In July 2006, Canadian seniors received an average of $463.20 in OAS benefits and $472.79 in CPP retirement benefits ($388.94 in QPP). Lower income OAS recipients also qualified for an average of an additional $361.94 in GIS benefits.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I love how chain email spam is like a constant of the right-wing world. No matter the country, no matter the issue, you can depend on an email with like 6 levels of forwards about politics being full of conservative clap-trap.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    It beats my brother sending me Alex Jones bullshit.

• Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

Besides that fact, that particular rumor has been debunked many times over. Snopes has an article on it.

Relevant quote:

Refugees don’t receive more financial assistance from the federal government than Canadian pensioners. In [a letter to the Toronto Star], a one-time, start-up payment provided to some refugees in Canada was mistaken for an ongoing, monthly payment. Unfortunately, although the newspaper published a clarification, the misleading information had already spread widely over e-mail and the internet.

In truth, about three quarters of refugees receive financial assistance from the federal government, for a limited time, and at levels lower than Canadian pensioners. They are known as government-assisted refugees.

We have to remember that many of these people are fleeing from unimaginable hardship, and have lived in refugee camps for several years. Others are victims of trauma or torture in their home countries. Many arrive with little more than a few personal belongings, if that. Canada has a humanitarian role to accept refugees and help them start their new lives here.

For this reason, government-assisted refugees get a one-time payment of up to $1,095 from the federal government to cover essentials — basic, start-up needs like food, furniture and clothing. They also receive a temporary monthly allowance for food and shelter that is based on provincial social assistance rates. In Ontario, for example, a single refugee would receive $592 per month. This assistance is temporary — lasting only for one year or until they can find a job, whichever comes first.

This short-term support for refugees is a far cry from the lifetime benefits for Canada’s seniors. The Old Age Security (OAS) program, for example, provides people who have lived in Canada for at least 10 years with a pension at age 65. The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) is an additional monthly benefit for low-income pensioners. The Canada Pension Plan (CPP), or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) for people in Quebec, pays a monthly retirement pension to people who have worked and contributed to the plan over their career. In July 2006, Canadian seniors received an average of $463.20 in OAS benefits and $472.79 in CPP retirement benefits ($388.94 in QPP). Lower income OAS recipients also qualified for an average of an additional $361.94 in GIS benefits.

I wasn't aware about that, thanks. I sent them a second email. I wonder if they'll forward it...

(I don't really wonder that)

sig.gif
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

Relevant quote:

I wasn't aware about that, thanks. I sent them a second email. I wonder if they'll forward it...

(I don't really wonder that)

Lol, living in Southern Alberta, I have to have that article basically on a hotkey. You wouldn't believe how often I have people telling me how angry I ought to be with how long my wife's permanent residency application took with all these "illegal refugees" that are getting "let in before her".

I just have to tell them that patience is something we could afford, that refugees cannot.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »

Yeah I had a co-worker that consistently listened to his podcast in the office. It was just god awful.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    My family doesn't send me stuff anymore because I told them to stop being so fucking stupid.

Its not very effective at changing minds I bet but I just don't have the energy.

Most of my immediate family has and will vote NDP forever so it's not all bad.

• Options

Yeah I had a co-worker that consistently listened to his podcast in the office. It was just god awful.

How? I'm seriously curious how someone can listen to that unironically.

My brain starts to run out of my ears after 5 minutes... How someone people can look at Jones as anything but a charlatan is beyond me.

I mean, he sells more crap on his website the the home shopping network.

• Options
    He mostly stopped sending them to me when I told him that if he couldn't formulate a rational argument why I should waste my time listening to it then I would put him on my spam filter if he kept sending them.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The legislature came back today in BC. To keep things exciting, a Liberal has volunteered to be speaker, and is now being called a traitor by the interim party-leader. Since, you know, this is a NDP government propped up by a supply and confidence agreement with the Greens. Good times!

:so_raven:
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It's not politics related, but the BC wildfires officially have their first mandatory evacuation here in Alberta. emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2017/09/4585.html.

The only reason I know, is they sounded the alarm on the radio. Thank goodness for those emergency alerts, they really do good work.

BouwsT on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yep, the speaker, Darryl Plecas, is my MLA. Interesting fellow who was pretty unhappy with the Liberal leadership's top-down party rule and their lack of funding for social services. He'd already turned down the role a few times over the summer... but was also making it known that he seriously wanted Clark to resign. I have my suspicions from reading his statements between the lines that he used that offer as a threat and was a big part of the reason she resigned so suddenly. Then I guess he must not have liked the way the party was operating post-Clark and this was his way of basically going independent. The Vancouver Sun is going nuts calling him a traitor, but I kind of like the Game of Thrones feel to the whole thing.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    The SaskParty finally has a survey up for cannabis legislation. Fellow Saskatchewanians can check it out here.

• Options
    I am happy someone stepped forward to keep the government in a functional state. Yeah, I bet his party isn't real happy but the people of the province need a working government.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    The legislature came back today in BC. To keep things exciting, a Liberal has volunteered to be speaker, and is now being called a traitor by the interim party-leader. Since, you know, this is a NDP government propped up by a supply and confidence agreement with the Greens. Good times!

I don't get it. Does he make the difference in the math or something?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Yes. The Greens + NDP only had one seat over the Liberals (Clark riding byelection aside), so taking a Liberal seat out of commission instead of an NDP seat makes a big difference and strengthens the coalition's chances.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Yeah it helps with the math in that they only need one green now.

• Options

Yes. The Greens + NDP only had one seat over the Liberals (Clark riding byelection aside), so taking a Liberal seat out of commission instead of an NDP seat makes a big difference and strengthens the coalition's chances.

So if the Speaker was NDP... Speakers break ties, so they still win votes, but the margin is just half a vote? And now it's... at least a full vote, possibly 1.5 depending on how he'll break ties? Hm.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Biggest thing I think is now they can have someone off sick without a snap confidence vote toppling the government. Also, traditionally the speaker doesn't vote most of the time and it would be a breech of tradition to have them constantly voting with the government.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Convention is that the speaker votes to maintain the status quo, rather than voting as his/her party desires. While that favors the government in most cases, it is not always the case.

• Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Biggest thing I think is now they can have someone off sick without a snap confidence vote toppling the government. Also, traditionally the speaker doesn't vote most of the time and it would be a breech of tradition to have them constantly voting with the government.

Ah. That's what Aridhol was talking about. Boy, what kinda fucking assholes would just constantly hold that over the government from day 1? "Don't get cancer, any of you, or we take over!" :mad:

• Options

Ah. That's what Aridhol was talking about. Boy, what kinda fucking assholes would just constantly hold that over the government from day 1? "Don't get cancer, any of you, or we take over!" :mad:

The same kind of asshole who calls a MLA who helps bring about a stable functional government a "traitor".

sig.gif
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular

The same kind of asshole who calls a MLA who helps bring about a stable functional government a "traitor".

But it's not OUR government, it's that shitty NDP one. Party before Province

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Update on an old story we talked about way back when: Supreme Court says woman and brother should be extradited to India in 'honour killing' case

Ruling was unanimous.

hippofant on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    It would be great if that lady's employer got to see that. Not only is she a bigot but she's an idiot as well.
    Can't even get her irrational hate right.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    It would be great if that lady's employer got to see that. Not only is she a bigot but she's an idiot as well.
    Can't even get her irrational hate right.

This is why I'm comfortable calling a lot of the anti Muslim sentiment racism. Because it is.

• Options
    That lady was apparently not just some random. She's been to various anti-Muslim protests and is apparently tied to Rise Canada:

http://anti-racistcanada.blogspot.ca/2017/09/woman-who-verbally-attacked-jagmeet.html

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

How? I'm seriously curious how someone can listen to that unironically.

My brain starts to run out of my ears after 5 minutes... How someone people can look at Jones as anything but a charlatan is beyond me.

I mean, he sells more crap on his website the the home shopping network.

We have a customer who is a big fan. I cringe in anticipation every time he opens his mouth.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm generally supportive of large mega sports complexes because after all the rhetoric they do actually attract events that are of interest to people and people are incapable of thinking beyond their next property tax bill.

That said, Fuck Bettman. What hockey players need out of an arena hasn't changed in a hundred years, go Fuck yourself.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I'm generally supportive of large mega sports complexes because after all the rhetoric they do actually attract events that are of interest to people and people are incapable of thinking beyond their next property tax bill.

That said, Fuck Bettman. What hockey players need out of an arena hasn't changed in a hundred years, go Fuck yourself.

When you can build dozen's of public spaces instead of an arena that 90% of the population can't afford to use I have zero interest in paying a red cent for it.

• Options
    When all the community centers and rinks are properly maintained and provided then we can talk about half billion dollar monstrosities.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    If the city was getting a proportion of the revenue from the venue equal to the cost split I could see putting public money into them, but as it stands now, unless I'm misunderstanding things, I gather that the teams the arenas are being built for get all the revenue from events/games and the city just gets 'economic spinoffs'. Plus another ransom note for a new arena 10-20 years down the line I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    When all the community centers and rinks are properly maintained and provided then we can talk about half billion dollar monstrosities.

Leisure center pass for a year for 2 x adults and 1 x teenager in Calgary is just under 1200$

Fuck using my tax dollars so that millionaires don't need to use out of pocket Money.

This discussion has been closed.