Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Yeah cart

• Options
    Left early, three days off now. Sorry in advance for the incoming global Scotch shortage.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    People run off with the carts from work all the time
    I see them when I am walking home as some of them someone built a house out of in the chute of a cistern.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    it is career week at my college! lot of talking to recruiters. any tips job thread?

Keep some hard copies of your resume and any reference letters you might have (I don't know how many recruiters you're planning on speaking with, or what field you're in, but bring a couple extras just in case), dress like you're going for a job interview... that's about it off the top of my head.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm now 1000% above quota for how much nasty dick I was expecting to see today.

So your daily quota of nasty dick is like... 9% of a nasty dick?

Do they add up? If you go 10 days without seeing a nasty dick, do you have to see a whole one the next day?

Gotta increase your exposure to nasty dicks to up your tolerance. I'm like 1/10 into my nasty dick quota tonight.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm not sure if this is local or in wide-use, but my Wal-Mart has a number they announce for all their employees to go outside and collect the shopping carts. This code is 187.

So I'll be there after work, and suddenly I'll hear "All employees, it's time for 187. 1-8-7. This is for everyone." First couple times I got real damn confused.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I always feel like people don't quit get how small my store is, being right on a major cities core district. My entire store could fit in the front lobby area of say, a Kansas walmart supercenter.

We have drastically different challenges.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The footprint of that upper parking lot, we pretty much have that on the ground floor as our space.

ariel_view-1.jpg

edit: Also wow that picture is ancient. That place marked as a Burger King has been a UPS store since I moved here in '09.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is local or in wide-use, but my Wal-Mart has a number they announce for all their employees to go outside and collect the shopping carts. This code is 187.

So I'll be there after work, and suddenly I'll hear "All employees, it's time for 187. 1-8-7. This is for everyone." First couple times I got real damn confused.

Didn't hear it in my two years there. Maybe the store manager just really liked The Purge.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    So hey, I've got a bit of free time and I'm trying to build my skillset. Gonna need some marketable skills if I end up getting these Australia scholarships.

Specifically, I want to learn programming Unity. I made a game in GameMaker for one of my University courses, and I'm proud of that game, but I'd like to pick up a more widely used language.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for me to get started on?

Unity's official website actually has a ton of really nice tutorials that are ordered really well for taking you from beginner to expert. I started learning Unity a couple years ago with almost zero programming experience (I also came to it after doing a couple small GameMaker projects), and their tutorial stuff got me up and running really fast.

If you haven't used Unity before and you don't have much experience with game dev/programming, I'd suggest starting off by doing some of their project tutorials (the first set of options at https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials). These are much more about learning the interface and basic workflow in Unity, so you won't be doing much programming (which was great for me) but since it gives you pre-made assets and scripts, it lets you feel like you're actually doing something without having to suffer through a lot of heavy lifting. Personally, I did the first four (roll-a-ball through tanks) then just started jumping around into their other tutorial sections.

Once you feel comfortable navigating the general Unity UI, I would personally suggest moving on to their Scripting set of tutorials. They're pretty granular and organized by general difficulty/complexity, so you can kind of just skip past any topics you feel like you already understand, and you won't miss much else by doing so. Beyond that, their audio and animation stuff is also good for clarifying how Unity does that stuff (which can be kind of a pain for those two topics especially).

Bear in mind that this isn't going to make you an expert coder, as a lot of time they'll teach you a command that does a thing, but won't spend much (or any) time explaining why that command does what it does. But for me at least, it was enough to give me the tools I needed to start building stuff, and then I started filling in gaps with other tutorials and info sources. The only other thing I'll say is that some (most?) of these tutorials were written using older versions of the engine, so in some cases the syntax or workflow is pretty different in the newest version, so you might have to stop and look up what's changed before their instructions actually work.

Thanks for this, but it looks like they haven't kept their tutorials up to date. I made it to the first code section well enough, but now I'm stuck because the code is throwing up a ton of errors depite being identical to the one shown in the video. Bummer.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Came out as a gay trans lady at work Friday via email. Everyone at work has been like... Surprisingly cool?

My boss is telling her boss today and they're going to research what needs to be done when I decide I am ready for a name change.

So yeah. Not too bad!

Also some asshole at work keeps messing with the ceiling mounted projectors. They're 12 feet up and someone keeps rotating the whole thing to face the not correct wall. I hate heights. I have to fix the issue. I am full of displeasure on that

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have 8 hours of work and about 20 minutes of energy to do it.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    If a listing for a casual job says "If interested, please apply with a short e-mail", does that mean they don't want a CV?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Send an email, attach CV, they can do what they want, but assume they won't open it when writing the email

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Done and done!

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Had my dinner/interview with the california dudes last night. I think it went well and they emphasized that I will be hearing from them very soon. Which is cool and all but now after meeting my prospective manager I'm a bit worried about a cultural fit as well. I've had to deal with climate change denying, racially biased technical types most of my career in Texas. I would be somewhat piqued if I move to California and have the exact same issue. I think the racial thing comes from the field being largely dominated by older white dudes, but the climate change stuff is so frustrating. I guess it's mainly that it's been used as a cultural marker to demonstrate if you're for us or them, but there's so much science behind it! It's so fucking stupid. Even the Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual that I'm using to study for my exam throws in a short section on "Global Warming" under environmental concerns and the author makes it very clear that he's rather skeptical of the whole thing.

Anyway, with reference calls underway at the Boston place, and the in-person interview finally complete with the california guys, I think I'm going to be in the uncomfortable position of trying to encourage job offers be made in a timely manner so that I may compare them fairly against each other. Done poorly I can see how this could get an offer rescinded entirely but considering I waited over a month for the cali guys to get their shit together so that they could interview me in person, stalling for time so that I can hear the Boston dudes out doesn't seem that big of an ask. I'm pretty sure santa barbara is going to make an offer first, in spite of being so slow to meet me, I think they're much more nimble in that realm. Boston has been very methodical throughout the entire interviewing process and I definitely see that pattern continue during the next phase.

Aggh, this is a good place to be in but it doesn't relieve any of the stress whatsoever from the job hunt. I'm 40 now, I want to love my next job enough that I can pass the 5 year mark with them easily. That's kind of my baseline to determine if I fully got what I could out of the place. After a while companies stop giving raises commensurate with increased ability and responsibilities and the only way to get your due is to move on to the next gig.

Apologies for this super disjointed post but my mind is kind of going all over the place trying to wrestle with this problem and getting through it in a graceful manner.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Welp. They hired a new lady to be the lead over the AV shit after I asked for more money. A lot of the work has been delegated to me and the other guy I trained (trained her too as best as I could but she rarely showed up for stuff?) And now she's made a bunch of promises that aren't being kept and since I'm the AV person they know, all the anger and complaints are coming to me.

Meanwhile I'm being asked to help with like five projects and keep doing av and normal ticket work and I get sent out to fix high priority stuff that breaks and there's just not enough time or energy for this shit right now

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Welp. They hired a new lady to be the lead over the AV shit after I asked for more money. A lot of the work has been delegated to me and the other guy I trained (trained her too as best as I could but she rarely showed up for stuff?) And now she's made a bunch of promises that aren't being kept and since I'm the AV person they know, all the anger and complaints are coming to me.

Meanwhile I'm being asked to help with like five projects and keep doing av and normal ticket work and I get sent out to fix high priority stuff that breaks and there's just not enough time or energy for this shit right now

I have been in this exact position before and it blows. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that shit.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I have been in this exact position before and it blows. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that shit.

That's when you tell people to direct their complaints to the person in charge of fucking you over and putting the other person in charge.

"Sorry I wish I could help you, but my hands are tied after they decided to make this person the lead for that department. You should file formal complaints with (that person's boss)."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I have gently guided them in that direction. I also said if they want to CC me on emails to her I can throw stuff on my calendar to check in on. This is like the third meeting that setup help was promised for and then I get the angry call when the meeting is 10 minutes in and they're struggling with the systems.

She said she is really busy. I offered to take over lead duties. She and manager shot it down. I give too much of a shit to let everything burn but MAN I want to

• Options
    Yeah I know that feeling. I'm IT guy but people will vent to me about managerial duties of the office manager constantly.

Like.. what do you want me to do? I have zero authority to fix that even though I'm also technically a manager. I bring it up to my boss (who's above her) and not only does nothing get fixed, apparently I'm the bad guy.

Which is fine, I'll be the bad guy. Just do your god damned jobs jesus h christ.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have gently guided them in that direction. I also said if they want to CC me on emails to her I can throw stuff on my calendar to check in on. This is like the third meeting that setup help was promised for and then I get the angry call when the meeting is 10 minutes in and they're struggling with the systems.

She said she is really busy. I offered to take over lead duties. She and manager shot it down. I give too much of a shit to let everything burn but MAN I want to

Do it! (don't do it)

• Options
    Instructions unclear. Caught self on fire

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Fail forward - lurch into the lady screwing everything up and light her on fire too.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Finally, all those hours of Stop Drop and Roll education will be useful.
    What you're going to want to do, TRV, is to stop running around as the oxygen will only feed the flames.
    Second, drop to the ground.
    Finally... Oh crap, I forgot this one...I don't know, go get a small loaf of bread for lunch? That doesn't make sense. How is that supposed to help a person who's on fire?

Why did I stop paying attention after the first two steps???

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I don't exactly hate how my recorded voice sounds, but it's a bit jarring sometimes because I forget I have a pronounced regional accent until I hear it recorded.

Hearing my own voice on a recording makes me super-self-conscious, so much so that I stop talking for a good hour or two.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The person that managed all our social media left the company a bit ago.

I needed to make some changes to our Youtube page, and since I was logged in, looked at the history.

Bike crashes, right wing conspiracy videos, and say yes to the dress clips.

Strange dude.

Also, don't be logged into company owned accounts when you're surfing around.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Two weeks on and still no word from Samsung yet. I'm getting really antsy and I keep checking my inbox and spam.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    There is nothing -- NO things are happening -- at our office today.
    The boss ain't here and I'd really like to go home. But gotta get that paycheck, you know.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    when i had a youtube account tied to work it was full of searches for cute dog videos

because what else are you going to test youtube access with???

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So Tuesday evening I worked an info desk over at our city's pool to advertise our upcoming recreation programs.

I was told that I was picked to do this because I am a very good public speaker and because I am the most knowledgeable person regarding all of these programs (because I either set them up, plan them or supervise them).

Well today our new director sent one of my supervisors an email singing my praises, saying that I was super-duper good and that more folks are registering for our programs as a result.

So, woo! I like being good at my second job which I have no aspirations to advance higher in! Woo!!!!

Hey, an update on this!

Apparently I did such a good job that they want me to do it again!

Like, maybe once a week! On Saturdays & Sundays!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, that is one of the things I am going to bring up during my assessment next month.

Currently the department has me listed as a Recreation Assistant but I do a lot of things that the other Rec Assistants don't do. In fact I do a lot of things my direct superiors, Recreation Leaders, don't do for our department.

And I'm trying to figure out how to approach that issue with my supervisors.

Like, I enjoy helping out and doing odd-jobs. But at a certain point this is a secondary part-time job, and I feel like I am be groomed for a career advancement that I have expressed I do not want.

Would it be unreasonable to bring up that I deserve to earn more money if they are going to keep having me do jobs outside of my station?

• Options
    Absolutely. Depending on how confrontaional/budget frugal they are, they may hit you back with 'we know you don't really want to be here, we're just giving you things to do,' so maybe be prepared for that.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Absolutely. Depending on how confrontaional/budget frugal they are, they may hit you back with 'we know you don't really want to be here, we're just giving you things to do,' so maybe be prepared for that.

Yeah, I'm prepared for the, "What? Would you like less hours of work?"

And... Maybe? The difference between 5 hours a week and 8 hours a week is pretty slim if I'm not earning more per hour.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    This morning the network was out, so absolutely nobody could get any work done.

I used this opportunity to clean my keyboard.

I mean really clean it. Popping the keys off and giving it a good scrubbing. Took me a few hours, but man, I have a super nice clean keyboard now.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Two weeks on and still no word from Samsung yet. I'm getting really antsy and I keep checking my inbox and spam.

Give them a buzz to see if you're still in the running and say you're really excited to come work for them.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Good to show interest, and you said they were opening a whole new plant right? I imagine hiring is going through a LOT right now. You have the boards rooting for you, we know you have karmically earned this, at the very least. Maybe lye bucket guy too. For his own sake.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Kadith wrote: »
    when i had a youtube account tied to work it was full of searches for cute dog videos

because what else are you going to test youtube access with???

I have no doubt in the ability of youtube analytics to tie Mechwarrior videos to something involving boobs and antisemitism.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    There is nothing -- NO things are happening -- at our office today.
    The boss ain't here and I'd really like to go home. But gotta get that paycheck, you know.

Nothing Going On: An Update.

There is still nothing going on. I downloaded a puzzle game on my phone and played it up to the paywall. It's 90 minutes until lunch.
    Looking for another game.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    sadly today I return to work after 9 days of vacation
    It will be interesting

This discussion has been closed.