As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I prefer waking early. I'm just sad my daughter is now waking at 615, as I used to have 545-645 to myself to prep lunches and be alone. I'm putting off waking at 5 to work out because I need to bank more sleep.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaand the other shoe has dropped. Apparently someone on my shift (the part timer shift) has been missing dozens of books for check in, not just on a regular basis, but in bulk, resulting in an avalanche of Claims Returned books. Now, if this person doesn't get their shit together, or isn't removed from their position, all our jobs are at risk as the higher ups are already pushing for automation and this ain't helping one bit.

I wish I were better with words, because to simply say that I am profoundly upset does not remotely begin to describe my emotions right now.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    And someone mistakenly put in the customer's systems that I was no longer working there, borking a bunch of my systems accesses. At least, I hope it was a mistake. *checks stapler*

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I can't function before 8am or 9am...unless something very important/exciting is happening, like I'm catching a flight somewhere.

But for a regular workday? Hell naw.

I can't either but I still have to be at the office by about 7:30 and it suuuuuuucks.

I'm kind of a danger to myself when I first wake up. Clumsy and absentminded as fuck. Takes me a while to get ready in the morning just so that I become alert enough to safely drive to work.

Speaking of driving, I get to drive to Fort Worth tomorrow for the semi-weekly vendor site visit. I would have gone last week, but the vendor wrote and canceled...while I was on the road about an hour out from Houston. I was irate, but it could have been much worse. I should be able to blatantly sneak in a lot of study time but man, losing 8 hours in a car is a bitch. At least I don't have to worry about boarding my stupid dog right now. That gets old.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have no idea how I get to work in the morning.

My start time is 8:00. I've somehow convinced them over the past 9ish years that my start time is actually 8:30, so I wake up at about 7:50, shower, dress, brush teeth, and out the door by 8:10 and at work by about 8:30 if I'm lucky, or 8:45 if I'm not.

I have absolutely 0 recollection of driving in usually by noon, I'm pretty sure my brain is on autopilot until about 11:00am.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Today was my first day on my for-real shift time of 4pm to midnight. I looooooove this schedule, I am not a morning person in any way, shape or form. Added bonus is that I get 10% premium on top of regular pay for this schedule, which if it weren't for the lack of bonus from this company would actually put me at a higher pay grade than my last job.

Also I initially thought this week was going to be another 8am Mon-Fri, but when I asked the boss about it yesterday, he said if I wanted I could go ahead and start 4pm this week and he even said I wouldn't have to come in Fri-Sat since those are my regular days off. Woo-hoo for cool bossman.

I have this exact schedule, and I really hope it does work out for you. I started out loving it because I could go to bed when I felt tired (~4am) and wake up when I feel refreshed (~11am) and give me time to run errands before work. In the 5 years I've been doing it though I've grown to despise this schedule because it killed my social life and makes me feel like I'm married to a roommate I never see, but at least I get to sleep when I feel it's natural to do so.

When I had this schedule a few years back I hated it, yeah. The thing is, I don't care about social life much anymore? I got my cats and I got @Strikor. I've never been the type to go to bars or parties, the main reason I needed social time before was vidja game raiding and dating. I don't date anymore and I'm not currently on an MMO.

Hopefully that doesn't make anyone worry about me... I have always just preferred staying in. I used to think that what I wanted to was to build a log cabin in the woods and live there as a mountain witch, but the idea of no internet made me not wanna do that anymore.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I think I could do a get-up-at-5am schedule if I had to, I just prefer having my free time at night. I'd be on my porch until like 3am if I had the choice and mosquitoes weren't a thing.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My only complaint currently is there aren't enough salty snacks in the breakroom. Or aren't enough of most any snacks, I'd take those peanut M&M's if they had any left.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Do people ever give good reviews on Glassdoor though?

It seems like the kinda place where most people only go there to give a review if they have a negative experience

Like I just looked up some glassdoor reviews of my employer and they seemed kinda exaggerated. I mean, I don't know that reviewer's personal experience so maybe I'm wrong here.

I just looked up where I work and...yeah people from different locations within the company in various positions definitely have the same complaints I do about working here. So for me at least, its pretty accurate

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I've woken up past noon before too.

But... showing up at 2:30?

It's a Tuesday! In like the third week of the semester!

DSPS is a harsh mistress.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Is it possible to get impostor syndrome in school? I feel like this is all too easy and thats making me wonder if I'm actually learning anything or just good at finding answers to homework, what if I can't ever figure out how to set up IP addresses in the real world.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Is it possible to get impostor syndrome in school? I feel like this is all too easy and thats making me wonder if I'm actually learning anything or just good at finding answers to homework, what if I can't ever figure out how to set up IP addresses in the real world.

Sometimes, you're legitimately not learning anything, because schools sometimes cater to the lowest denominator and struggle to give every student a curriculum they can all find sufficiently challenging. If it bothers you, you can sometimes ask for more advanced work...but not all teachers/professors want to accommodate that.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I get up around 1pm, shift starts at 2:30, off at 11. Stay up till between 3-5am. It's the same pattern everyone does, just shifted later because that's what my work schedule is.

Way better than the 3am-noon shift I had back in the mid-2000's that one broke my mind.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have discovered glorious benadryl in the apartment!

Sleep Will be mine!

Training new guy, or at least observing. Very good for lack of sleep.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I go to work when it starts at 1400
    I am lucky if it ends at 2300

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    One of the Where's Waldo books was banned because on the beach pages there's a little kid throwing cold water on the back of a woman who is sunbathing. She is raising her upper body in surprise and you can see sideboob.

Those book banners probably had a lot of free time.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Most days I wake up around 5:15, shower, dress, make lunch for the wife and myself, breakfast for me, her, and my son. I see her out the door around 6:30, him by 6:45 and then I leave at 7:10 to grab coffee and get to work by 8. We stay up into about 11:30 each night. I'm starting to feel like I might be needing more sleep this year though, it's taking a toll on me.

Days I work from home are a bit more leisurely, especially once they both leave.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

You might just legit not be challenged right now. If your grades are truly aces, asking the prof for more reading or recommend exercise resources shouldn't bother them. Just don't sound haughty, just eager for more.
    Hell yes you can have imposter syndrome in school, but it's generally characterized by feeling like a failure despite repeated measureable success, waiting for everyone to find out you are actually a shit scientist who will never get anywhere, and whose research project is secretly (even to you) a lie, and a paper will be published right after yours proving you are a cad and a liar, or a moron of a researcher. Or both. Somehow.
    ...yeah 5th year is great, thanks for asking! *Grimace smile*

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

You might just legit not be challenged right now. If your grades are truly aces, asking the prof for more reading or recommend exercise resources shouldn't bother them. Just don't sound haughty, just eager for more.
    Hell yes you can have imposter syndrome in school, but it's generally characterized by feeling like a failure despite repeated measureable success, waiting for everyone to find out you are actually a shit scientist who will never get anywhere, and whose research project is secretly (even to you) a lie, and a paper will be published right after yours proving you are a cad and a liar, or a moron of a researcher. Or both. Somehow.
    ...yeah 5th year is great, thanks for asking! *Grimace smile*

When I went back to school after over a decade of having a real job, I treated school much differently than I had the first time. Back when I was in my late teens/early twenties, I treated school like school. I blew off homework, didn't give teachers my undivided attention, didn't study as much as I should, and skipped class whenever I felt like it. My grades weren't good.

Now in my late thirties, I find myself treating school like I do my job. I have to go, I have to do the work, I have to do the training. It's not optional, just like doing my job isn't optional. And I determined that when you actually do all the work, pay attention, and study, getting good grades is surprisingly easy. Y'know, like every teacher ever told me to.

So it could be that it's not that you aren't learning, it's just that you're approaching it as a goddamn grownup, which makes it easy.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    New guy too chatty.

Tonight about driving, bringing more details.

Proper tour tomorrow.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I worked 6am-3pm for a few places. Worked really well when I was driving to work. Now I have a normal 9-5, and it's aces. I get to take the subway, and it gets crowded but manageable.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    have you ever had one of those mornings where you're so congested you just want to die?

that's me

I guess it's about that time for my allergies to kick in

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Career fair at school today, trying to update my resume but the more I fiddle with it the more I feel it needs way more time in the oven than just the next few hours

I'm definitely gonna go but I can't decide if I think I would be better off not bringing anything than bringing something that potentially looks sloppy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As a morning person the schedule of secondary schools (6th to 12th grade) is perfect for me.

Arrive at 7 a.m. and peace out around 3 p.m.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The last two days I slept horribly but just decided I was going to be cheery. It was a little rough at the start but that decision seemed to help.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Going in to work late Monday, after spending two hours the previous night in a mosh pit at Andrew W.K.'s show, was a rough experience.

It felt like I had been beaten up all Double Dragon style.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    d

I think you said you were doing programming of some sort. The starting courses are easy as hell if you have played any logic type game. It starts to be more of a challenge when you get to pointers and data structure type stuff. At least that was my experience. That was around the time I started to really doubt my ability.

*edit bleh I gotta read the whole message. Need sleep...

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Career fair at school today, trying to update my resume but the more I fiddle with it the more I feel it needs way more time in the oven than just the next few hours

I'm definitely gonna go but I can't decide if I think I would be better off not bringing anything than bringing something that potentially looks sloppy

I don't think there's really any damage you can do by taking a shot. They should be getting enough resumes that if they don't like yours they'll just toss it, it's not like they're gonna blacklist you or something. And if you don't hand them out you're denying yourself the chance that someone will like it!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Never overestimate the height of the bar you are trying to clear with resume quality. The fact that you spend part of your leisure time in an online forum communicating in complete sentences pretty much guarantees you a place on the podium.

Not to say a great resume isn't better than a good one, but the average resume getting handed out at a career fair is rough.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just realized that I've worked in the library industry for fifteen years.

Longer than some of these students have been alive.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I often remind students that my calculator is older than they are.

They tell me to get a new one.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

'No. Because unlike you, it can solve quadratic equations.'

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I have fought the work hours at my job for the last year.

Right now my night shift schedule is 10:30am to 7pm M-F. If I work Saturday (I have to work 2 a month) I get a weekday off and work 10am to 7pm and then I work a 6 hour shift on Saturday, 4:45am to 11am.

I'm very vocal on how dumb that is and we have two big ass morning teams and how they should be the only ones doing morning shifts. The Saturday shift gives me insane amounts of anxiety. I get off Friday night at 7pm and then I need to find some way to force myself to sleep and I usually can't because of stress and anxiety about getting sleep so I'm lucky if I finally get to sleep by midnight.

Since I live in Arizona, when the time change happens in November i start working 11:30am to 8pm or 11am to 8pm with a 5:45am to 12pm Saturday shift.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Never overestimate the height of the bar you are trying to clear with resume quality. The fact that you spend part of your leisure time in an online forum communicating in complete sentences pretty much guarantees you a place on the podium.

Not to say a great resume isn't better than a good one, but the average resume getting handed out at a career fair is rough.

We're hiring at my power plant. I've seen the resumes. They are mostly very rough.

Also stragint that schedule is hella dumb

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Joke's on them. We haven't invented a new calculator in over two decades.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I am finally done with the 3000-radio order from May and actually getting to do some bench work the last couple of days.

Whose bright idea was it to jam these transistors into a dinky little metal bracket and then solder or epoxy them in there so they'd be an unbelievable pain in the ass to replace?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

'No. Because unlike you, it can solve quadratic equations.'

Awww shit.

I just tell them I like that one because I know where all the buttons are.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I spent 8 hours today walking in the bush by myself doing tree transects. Just walking, and looking at trees, and writing down information about those trees. Didn't stop for lunch or anything. Now my right knee is buggered.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Last week I woke up and noticed that it was getting brighter outside. I thought to myself "Oh man, is the alarm gonna go off any second now and ruin this? No, no, it's fine, it's Saturday."

It was Wednesday.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Last week I woke up and noticed that it was getting brighter outside. I thought to myself "Oh man, is the alarm gonna go off any second now and ruin this? No, no, it's fine, it's Saturday."

It was Wednesday.

that's awful

This discussion has been closed.