As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Never overestimate the height of the bar you are trying to clear with resume quality. The fact that you spend part of your leisure time in an online forum communicating in complete sentences pretty much guarantees you a place on the podium.

Not to say a great resume isn't better than a good one, but the average resume getting handed out at a career fair is rough.

We're hiring at my power plant. I've seen the resumes. They are mostly very rough.

Also stragint that schedule is hella dumb

It is, thought technically it is worse right now. Right now we have random 12pm to 8:30pm shifts and sometimes people will have to do that shift on Friday and come into work for an 8 hour Saturday shift that starts any where from 4:45am to 5:30am to 1:15pm to 2pm. This right now is relatively new, been doing it for about 3 months now. They are reverting it back starting 9/30 but that is just to the schedule I mentioned before.

Saturday shifts are for the most part why I am always in so much trouble for attendance.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Construction people in the street outside are doing something that involves repeatedly slamming something onto the pavement hard enough that it shakes the whole building, at consistent intervals of around 3.5 seconds.

Dude from the construction crew comes into our warehouse and asks to use our bathroom. Sure, no problem.

Over the sound of whatever the hell his crew is doing outside, as well as our noisy bathroom fan, I can hear him in there burping. Once, twice, three times, loud sustained belches. Then there's maybe 20 seconds of silence from the bathroom, then a fourth burp that goes "Ooo-AH-AH-AH-AH" like the Down With The Sickness song.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Never overestimate the height of the bar you are trying to clear with resume quality. The fact that you spend part of your leisure time in an online forum communicating in complete sentences pretty much guarantees you a place on the podium.

Not to say a great resume isn't better than a good one, but the average resume getting handed out at a career fair is rough.

We're hiring at my power plant. I've seen the resumes. They are mostly very rough.

It is, thought technically it is worse right now. Right now we have random 12pm to 8:30pm shifts and sometimes people will have to do that shift on Friday and come into work for an 8 hour Saturday shift that starts any where from 4:45am to 5:30am to 1:15pm to 2pm. This right now is relatively new, been doing it for about 3 months now. They are reverting it back starting 9/30 but that is just to the schedule I mentioned before.

Saturday shifts are for the most part why I am always in so much trouble for attendance.

Yeah, that's really dumb scheduling 2nd-shift folk to do 1st-shift hours. Zombie shifts can, and should, be avoided.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Construction people in the street outside are doing something that involves repeatedly slamming something onto the pavement hard enough that it shakes the whole building, at consistent intervals of around 3.5 seconds.

Dude from the construction crew comes into our warehouse and asks to use our bathroom. Sure, no problem.

Over the sound of whatever the hell his crew is doing outside, as well as our noisy bathroom fan, I can hear him in there burping. Once, twice, three times, loud sustained belches. Then there's maybe 20 seconds of silence from the bathroom, then a fourth burp that goes "Ooo-AH-AH-AH-AH" like the Down With The Sickness song.

Maybe those weren't burps.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

If they were farts, then this guy needs to have his magic butt examined by butt-scientists.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

If they were farts, then this guy needs to have his magic butt examined by butt-scientists.

I'll alert the Mix-a-lot Institute forthwith.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Uhoh, someone from work found me on facebook. The flood gates are open.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    New guy's daydreams caused us to miss exit and spend hour in traffic.

And I just missed my bus.
    TheStig wrote: »

My ex wife began scrambling her name to prevent this exact thing.

May God have pity on your soul

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    TheStig wrote: »

I hope they don't somehow link that to this forum. If one of your coworkers found out how much you respect and admire all of your superiors, it could get kind of awkward at work. Not to mention what kind of shenanigans would ensue if they discovered your deep-seated affection for animals who are friends with other species of animals, patriotism, local sports team, and everyone's mom. You are truly too good for facebook and your hospital's intranet, and that worries me.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

They have those??

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

They have those??

I believe they prefer the term arseologist.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I have a phone interview today to work as an analyst in a game studio! Hooray!

It turns out it's for a Product Analyst for one of those massively multiplayer base-building RTS games, which means "how do we maximize microtransactions". Boo. It's at least not as bad of a skinner box as some of the others I've seen in my life but still though.

I'm not sure how to play it in the interview when they ask me if I've been playing the game and what I think.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

It turns out it's for a Product Analyst for one of those massively multiplayer base-building RTS games, which means "how do we maximize microtransactions". Boo. It's at least not as bad of a skinner box as some of the others I've seen in my life but still though.

I'm not sure how to play it in the interview when they ask me if I've been playing the game and what I think.

It's always good to try out a game before an interview, but if you can't do that, read up on the game as much as you can, so you can at least talk about it in the interview.

Also yeah...as a dev, I get why microtransactions are a thing, and I know that from a "studio survival/profitability" standpoint, they're great. As a gamer though, I hate them. :P It's weird to be in a position where you're on both sides of that issue.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

They have those??

Dr. Derriere

• Options
    edited September 2017

It's always good to try out a game before an interview, but if you can't do that, read up on the game as much as you can, so you can at least talk about it in the interview.

Also yeah...as a dev, I get why microtransactions are a thing, and I know that from a "studio survival/profitability" standpoint, they're great. As a gamer though, I hate them. :P It's weird to be in a position where you're on both sides of that issue.

I've been playing it for a day.

It's not the worst Skinner box I've ever crawled into.

that is a pretty low bar for success

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    To be fair, it's probably a super interesting job. It's probably not just maximizing profits, but also you need to make sure you aren't irritating about it to the point of people quitting. Even though I know a lot of those games get a ton of their money from whales that spend huge amounts to win, you still need to make sure you are keeping a user base and don't slide down the Play charts.

I'd imagine it's rather fascinating to see that data and the work that goes into a good balance.

• Options
    So all of my Eddie Bauer short-sleeve button-downs are getting worn the hell out. Anyone got some recommendations for my next four business casual shirts for work? The softer the better, stiff collars give me the contact dermatitis, which makes me cranky.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

They have those??

Dr. Derriere

Seymour Butts, M.D.
    P.H.D.
    B.A. in B.S.
    L-M-N-O-P
    Esquire

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Going back to substitute teaching this week.

I hate everything about my life right now.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

Sorry, man. If anything, the fact that the government is taking this long to hire you is just more proof that they need people like you knocking it into shape.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    I need to stop getting mad at incompetent call center employees. I just need to remind myself to hang up and call back and hopefully the wheel wont' stop on "idiot" the second time.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Sorry, man. If anything, the fact that the government is taking this long to hire you is just more proof that they need people like you knocking it into shape.

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment.

• Options

Yeah, that's really dumb scheduling 2nd-shift folk to do 1st-shift hours. Zombie shifts can, and should, be avoided.

I'm working on getting intermittent fmla right now so I can just avoid Saturday shifts forever.
    I need to stop getting mad at incompetent call center employees. I just need to remind myself to hang up and call back and hopefully the wheel wont' stop on "idiot" the second time.

What happened? I'm always interested in bad call center experiences since I work at one.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

They have those??

Dr. Derriere

Seymour Butts, M.D.
    P.H.D.
    B.A. in B.S.
    L-M-N-O-P
    Esquire

So you're the Assman huh?

• Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular

What happened? I'm always interested in bad call center experiences since I work at one.

Nothing terribly noteworthy. The agent I got kept insisting that they could do nothing to help me and that they had to transfer me to another department. I know this isn't true as I regularly have to deal with this group concerning problems with software I use. I hung up, called back, and the agent I got the second time was able to help me.

I have sympathy for how shitty is is to work in a call center. I used to work at the call center for the DMV in the state where I live. But something about people refusing to do their jobs and trying to pass the buck really sets me off.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Applied Mechanics seminar has wised up and moved their pizza table inside the lecture hall.

This is going to negatively impact my weekly food budget.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The Applied Mechanics seminar has wised up and moved their pizza table inside the lecture hall.

Walk in, ask if you're in the right place to apply to be a mechanic, and while they look around at each other, grab a couple of slices and leave.

Or not. It might just be a bad idea.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Walk in, ask if you're in the right place to apply to be a mechanic, and while they look around at each other, grab a couple of slices and leave.

Or not. It might just be a bad idea.

Or, you could use....Pocket Sand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8TGkhmQRko

• Options

:bro:

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Update: they're passing me on to the next round and skipping the technical, which is weird that they told me, but hey I'll take it.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

For what it's worth things have gone super quiet on this front and I think it's because it's just running painfully slow right now.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Update: they're passing me on to the next round and skipping the technical, which is weird that they told me, but hey I'll take it.

Technical interview is only unlocked for gold level applicants. You bought that upgrade, right?

Also if you didn't pay to remove ads someone is going to come in and scream about other games every six minutes

• Options

That's a really good sign, good luck bro.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Questions about raises and expectations:
    I had my second annual review at my job today. This is typically when people get raises. Last year, nobody got raises due to an unexpected contract renegotiation that left the entire company in dire straits around Christmas of 2015, to the point that some folks were even laid off during the holidays.

This year, I got a 3% raise of 50 cents.

Some quick googling tells me that 3% is an average raise for a single year, but I feel like I might not be satisfied with it for the following reasons:

1. Regardless of last year's wage freeze, the freeze is off, and my cost of living certainly didn't get a freeze in the meantime. I'm not necessarily expecting a full two years' worth of increase, but a little bit of catch-up seems reasonable.
    2. In the past 2 years, I've maintained top-level stats here. I'm consistently in the top 5 agents, and am producing comparable stats to our daytime agents even though I work a later, lower-volume shift.
    3. In addition, during the past year I've taken on extra work, worked overtime when they needed me to, always been available for holidays, and have been filling in for my supervisor (without any extra pay) while he's away at basic training. I've also worked on my own time to produce automation tools to assist some of our upper staff, even though nobody asked me to do that, just because I saw that it would be helpful to the company.

Am I being completely unreasonable here? Before entering the review today, I had pretty much decided that if they gave me anything less than 50 cents, I was going to start looking for a different job. I can't be certain a raise of this size will even cover the rent hike that's no doubt coming this spring. But at the same time, this is literally the first raise I've ever received in my life, having worked shitty jobs previously that were pretty much stagnant rent-chasing affairs. Is this the kind of thing I should talk to my boss about, or do I just have unreasonable expectations?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I have (re)discovered somethings I loathe about journal publications that involve any sort of formulas.

1. When the author doesn't define any of the variables, and just expects the readers to know that φ always means a specific type of angle, except for two or three times in their article and none of these usages match the general practices in the discipline.
    2. When the author lists an equation that doesn't pass a dimensional analysis review and the reason is they left out some additional conversion terms (kN + kN = kN•s????). It's even better when they have dimensionless factors on the variables (W = 0.533jH³), but still leave out their conversion factors/terms.
    3. When the author provides an "example" calculation that is just some vague question set-up and a final answer without any intermediate steps, or even enough information to be able to recreate and solve the problem.
    4. When there are multiple math errors in the equations in the supposedly peer reviewed article. (ƒx²dx =/= 2x) and the integral is the step whereby the equation is "simplified".
    5. When the entire theory behind the "worst case" scenario used to simplify the problem doesn't actually match a more common scenario in the real world that produces worse results.
    6. When the journal article is still the industry standard that everyone supposedly follows, but in reality, no on actually does and it's all just experience, engineering judgment, and factors of safety.

And the kicker, is when I spend several days trying to figure out why I'm not getting realistic values from any of the equations, the person who gave me the journal article told me to use these methods to solve the problem, then tells me that he doesn't actually follow the method and just does point #6. Thanks a lot for wasting my time.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    I've got a really excellent job at a defense contractor doing software things. I get to come in at noon (just because!), I love the people I work with (we do karaoke nights, go out for Thai, all kinds of stuff), I'm in a pretty great spot (I got to design, implement, and lead the team on our first automated testing initiative around here, as well as be the main resource for several software components, and, well, lots of other things). I've been at this place for about two and a half years, first real job out of college.

Buuuttttt...I'm getting poached by the place next door. Same kind of work for 30% more salary (putting me at 80k+ in the Midwest, which goes quite a ways) with a 15k starting bonus, which is basically bananas.

I WANT to stay here, but I'd be a fool to pass up this kind of opportunity at this stage of my career. I'm hoping to get a counter-offer, but the last guy that got nabbed by these dudes only got offered about 12% to try and keep him. I could work 10+ years here and not reach the kind of money I'm being offered now. I've still got to do the interview, so nothing's guaranteed.

I can keep in touch with all my work mates, of course, but what if I get a terrible manager? What if I hate the environment in the new place? Should I even be thinking about this since I don't have an offer yet?

Something about boats in harbor being safe, etc. Change is scary.

Or I could just not get the job and then none of this will matter anyway!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Questions about raises and expectations:
    I had my second annual review at my job today. This is typically when people get raises. Last year, nobody got raises due to an unexpected contract renegotiation that left the entire company in dire straits around Christmas of 2015, to the point that some folks were even laid off during the holidays.

This year, I got a 3% raise of 50 cents.

Some quick googling tells me that 3% is an average raise for a single year, but I feel like I might not be satisfied with it for the following reasons:

1. Regardless of last year's wage freeze, the freeze is off, and my cost of living certainly didn't get a freeze in the meantime. I'm not necessarily expecting a full two years' worth of increase, but a little bit of catch-up seems reasonable.
    2. In the past 2 years, I've maintained top-level stats here. I'm consistently in the top 5 agents, and am producing comparable stats to our daytime agents even though I work a later, lower-volume shift.
    3. In addition, during the past year I've taken on extra work, worked overtime when they needed me to, always been available for holidays, and have been filling in for my supervisor (without any extra pay) while he's away at basic training. I've also worked on my own time to produce automation tools to assist some of our upper staff, even though nobody asked me to do that, just because I saw that it would be helpful to the company.

Am I being completely unreasonable here? Before entering the review today, I had pretty much decided that if they gave me anything less than 50 cents, I was going to start looking for a different job. I can't be certain a raise of this size will even cover the rent hike that's no doubt coming this spring. But at the same time, this is literally the first raise I've ever received in my life, having worked shitty jobs previously that were pretty much stagnant rent-chasing affairs. Is this the kind of thing I should talk to my boss about, or do I just have unreasonable expectations?

The absolute worst thing that can happen to you if you talk to your boss about it respectfully is they will say no. Nobody gets thrown out in the street Oliver Twist style for asking for another portion of gruel.

That said you've got a few options:

1) "I ought to get a cost of living increase for two years" is true and sympathetic, but probably not your best move because it doesn't create any pressure in their minds.
    2) "I've been delivering above my pay grade for a year in these specific ways, and I think I deserve a raise commensurate with those additional duties/KPIs. We could even formalize them in a new offer letter so I'm accountable for delivering on them" is better. To the extent that your new offer coincides with work you've done in the past, it's sometimes reasonable to press them for a backdated adjustment.
    3) If that doesn't work, you can try, "hey boss, I really like working here," (or a lie as close to that as you can plausibly tell) "but I've been thinking about my next career move and I'd like your advice as to what I can work on to take then next step here." And then segue that into "and how much would it be worth to you if I could make those improvements?"

The only thing that's guaranteed is that if you say nothing they'll take it as evidence that they only have to give you CoL adjustments every two years in order to keep you performing.

Edit: reading the wiki, it turns out not even Oliver Swift actually gets turned out in the street for asking for a second serving; they just threaten to sell him to a chimneysweep for five pounds but don't actually go through with it.

later he gets a job as a professional mourner at children's funerals because he looks sad all the time so maybe let's stop thinking about this analogy

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    I am so very disappointed in myself. My team coach was helping me with a collections call and giving me advice and I was a straight up asshat to him. I've been really aggravated for no real reason today. Just very annoyed and calls have not been great and I just feel like a scumbag.

I said sorry but I still feel like a jackass.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I often remind students that my calculator is older than they are.

They tell me to get a new one.
    HP 48GX for life

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guys I've never had a business card before. Mine haven't come in yet but this is what they'll look like:

mBYK4fE.jpg

I'm so jazzed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.