Options

It's the [Wrestling] Thread, Bay Bay!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://streamable.com/zznls WWE didn't let Bryan and Brie upload a Brie training video because Bryan took a bump

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    If I trusted Bryan to actually stick with his "safe" style I'd be more than willing to accept him going to New Japan or ROH.

But I don't.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Some of these are a bit more complicated than just bad booking but this still is a pretty big indictment on modern WWE.

If only the writing matched the talent level today this would without question be the greatest era ever. Oh well.

I was listening to that episode of The Attitude Era Podcast I posted earlier and Rhyno stood out as somebody who is currently suffering from WWE's shitty writing. When he first resurfaced in NXT he seemed like an absolute badass. It was like coming across a secret boss in a videogame. His presence lent credibility to Balor's main event push and the brand as a whole. Then he came up to main roster to achieve the same stuff for Smackdown and for a while it worked. Then they started having him make jokes and forgot to make him serious when it matters. Eventually this lead to Rhyno and by association Slater disappearing from TV because hey...those guys aren't serious characters who matter.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Some of these are a bit more complicated than just bad booking but this still is a pretty big indictment on modern WWE.

If only the writing matched the talent level today this would without question be the greatest era ever. Oh well.

I was listening to that episode of The Attitude Era Podcast I posted earlier and Rhyno stood out as somebody who is currently suffering from WWE's shitty writing. When he first resurfaced in NXT he seemed like an absolute badass. It was like coming across a secret boss in a videogame. His presence lent credibility to Balor's main event push and the brand as a whole. Then he came up to main roster to achieve the same stuff for Smackdown and for a while it worked. Then they started having him make jokes and forgot to make him serious when it matters. Eventually this lead to Rhyno and by association Slater disappearing from TV because hey...those guys aren't serious characters who matter.

I wonder if this is one of those things that is an issue with the WWE's fanaticism about, well, the last letter in the acronym? They fall back on jokes so quickly for so many characters, because every segment has to be "entertaining", that they forget that like, audiences appreciate serious stories/characters too, just in different ways.

So professionally, I speak for a living. About history specifically, but that's not important for the point I'm about to make, except that it acknowledges that things can, and indeed have to be, serious sometimes. At my first job in this field, one of our trainers has a spiel he frequently makes, about how it's very easy to fall back on making too many jokes in your presentations because it's much easier to gauge your audience's reactions if they're being audible, and the most common audible reaction is laughter. Basically the ultimate 'punchline' of his thing is that if you stop being serious and telling actual history, and only tell jokes to get that laughter, you are no longer a historian, you're a clown.

I think you can translate that to a medium like WWE too. And it's not just laughter and jokes, it's chants, it's catchphrases, it's cheap heat or pops, whatever. They fall back on those quick moments of reaction because they don't know how to tell longer-form, slower-build stories it sometimes seems. I have to believe Vince probably starts shouting at people if the audience is quiet for five minutes. But the jokes particularly, because they're so branded and built around being "entertainment", really ruin so many characters - and not just the characters that tell them, but the characters (like Cena) who make jokes about characters who should be viewed seriously.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Maybe things change if WWE gets severely financially hit when their TV deal expires in 2019.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Maybe things change if WWE gets severely financially hit when their TV deal expires in 2019.

Maybe. I mean companies have stuck to shitty business practices till their end or rode outdated business models into the ground.

"It'll all change when they get financially hit or it'll all change when Vince dies, etc..."
    We can guess/hope all we want but the reality is we don't know if it will ever change until it does. Or doesn't.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    WWE definitely changes for better or worse if Vince goes.

I don't see how it could get worse though if Hunter takes over. NXT has to count for something.

• Options
    Unless their are other forces at work making the main roster not what it could be besides 3 hour Raw.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

I wonder if this is one of those things that is an issue with the WWE's fanaticism about, well, the last letter in the acronym? They fall back on jokes so quickly for so many characters, because every segment has to be "entertaining", that they forget that like, audiences appreciate serious stories/characters too, just in different ways.

So professionally, I speak for a living. About history specifically, but that's not important for the point I'm about to make, except that it acknowledges that things can, and indeed have to be, serious sometimes. At my first job in this field, one of our trainers has a spiel he frequently makes, about how it's very easy to fall back on making too many jokes in your presentations because it's much easier to gauge your audience's reactions if they're being audible, and the most common audible reaction is laughter. Basically the ultimate 'punchline' of his thing is that if you stop being serious and telling actual history, and only tell jokes to get that laughter, you are no longer a historian, you're a clown.

I think you can translate that to a medium like WWE too. And it's not just laughter and jokes, it's chants, it's catchphrases, it's cheap heat or pops, whatever. They fall back on those quick moments of reaction because they don't know how to tell longer-form, slower-build stories it sometimes seems. I have to believe Vince probably starts shouting at people if the audience is quiet for five minutes. But the jokes particularly, because they're so branded and built around being "entertainment", really ruin so many characters - and not just the characters that tell them, but the characters (like Cena) who make jokes about characters who should be viewed seriously.

It just feels like their writing team is in this constant, almost nihilistic, crisis mode. Like, they've got an attitude of "why plan more than a week in advance because someone's ACL is going to disintegrate and ruin everything." That, combined with the let's say "mercurial" nature of the man at the top of the org chart hamstring any long-term plotting they might want to do.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »

Don't be silly he'd have worn the full Parka outfit.

He had it on under his clothes. Walked out the Cirkle K, turned a corner, yanked off the sweater and jeans and strutted away whistling. Thief, what thief? I'm just a totally regular La Parka.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you cannot prove that i was the cause of strange things being afoot at the circle k, and i dare you to try it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    you cannot prove that i was the cause of strange things being afoot at the circle k, and i dare you to try it
    What about that "I am the cause of strange things being afoot at the Circle K" tattoo you have?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

Thank you for providing me this material. In November I'm gonna photoshop theater logos and movie posters to make it look like AJ just snuck out of the theater after having successfully watched the shitty Death Wish remake

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    What about that "I am the cause of strange things being afoot at the Circle K" tattoo you have?

circumstantial evidence at best

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

well you fucked up because when you stole a soft drink you had the cashier put it on your loyalty card.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that the WWE's audience actually wants long-form storytelling either. In this age of social media, reactions tend to be knee-jerk. Say a wrestler loses a match as part of a longer storyline (example: the AJ/Dean/Ellsworth storyline from last year). Back in the day, you'd only have the crowd's reaction to go on for about 24+ hours. The dirtsheets would react a day or so later, and wrestling forums would be isolated pockets of opinions. Now, if they make a booking decision that they see as valuable to a story but a portion of the audience does not, the tsunami of vitriol is instantaneous thanks to Twitter.

So maybe they gave up. The Twitter fans continuously demonstrate that they only talk about moments, so why not give them only moments? Turns out the WWE does listen to the fans on social media. They just took the worst lesson from them.

As for the entertainment aspect of wrestling, they need fewer jokes and more physical in-ring comedy, especially if it's presented with a straight face.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    so Bryan can't wrestle even though he's been cleared by 3rd party doctors because WWE wants to win a lawsuit

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    so Bryan can't wrestle even though he's been cleared by 3rd party doctors because WWE wants to win a lawsuit

This is a completely unfair take. Bryan himself admitted to scary concussion complications since 2012 that he kept hidden.

Unless all his matches involve him taking NO bumps, he shouldn't be allowed to wrestle.

• Options
    Literally everything Daniel Bryan has said about wrestling after retiring and when he came back after dropping the World Title has heavily pointed at him valuing wrestling over his own well being and I do not trust his word one bit regarding how well he is to get back in the ring

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

well you fucked up because when you stole a soft drink you had the cashier put it on your loyalty card.

i show loyalty to no man

or convenience store

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    He's stated in the past he's perfectly fine with dying in a wrestling ring.

Bryan

Bryan

This carny, fake-ass business isn't worth it

• Options
    I mean the last time we had Bryan comment on returning was when he came back before Mania 31 and insisted he would work a much safer style and then proceeded to immediately get into Headbutt Contests with Ziggler and Sheamus

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Daniel Bryan manages to land on his head and neck while doing his corner dropkicks.

Miz manages to do those same corner dropkicks and not land on his head and neck.

Daniel Bryan has a ton of fire wrapped inside of a paper mache shell and it's a tragedy in the making.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that the WWE's audience actually wants long-form storytelling either. In this age of social media, reactions tend to be knee-jerk. Say a wrestler loses a match as part of a longer storyline (example: the AJ/Dean/Ellsworth storyline from last year). Back in the day, you'd only have the crowd's reaction to go on for about 24+ hours. The dirtsheets would react a day or so later, and wrestling forums would be isolated pockets of opinions. Now, if they make a booking decision that they see as valuable to a story but a portion of the audience does not, the tsunami of vitriol is instantaneous thanks to Twitter.

So maybe they gave up. The Twitter fans continuously demonstrate that they only talk about moments, so why not give them only moments? Turns out the WWE does listen to the fans on social media. They just took the worst lesson from them.
    I think clearly they do want long form storytelling, because they've given Roman a tonne of moments and it isn't working. They gave Bayley a moment and the crowd is turning on her because it was a completely idiotic time and decision to do that moment and ignored what was a perfect storytelling opportunity. Not everything needs to be epic, but the point about Ryhno is a valid one, you had two underdogs rising to the top, then Ryhno had a kind of one week heel turn then went back to comedy stuff. Which the guy might not mind, he seems nice, and it pays the bills, but from a storytelling point your former tag champs are now joke jobbers.

I might be misremembering and maybe it was shorter than I think, but DX V Austin was great long form storytelling, a constant uphill battle of one man vs an entire group of competent people that culminated in a fantastic title match that the crowd were invested in. Or even Daniel Bryan's story, which wasn't so much storytelling as fluke, but it led to one of those Eddie Guerrero, or Chris Benoit feel good moments at the top of the show where they make it big.

There is a new epic story to be told between now and Mania, of a superstar who can't get that opportunity, because the authority is against him, because the current champ is holding him back or a faction is in his way, but he makes it through a condition match or wins the Rumble against overwhelming odds (and is someone the crowd will go nuts for winning), and then has to fight his way through to Mania to crown a new superstar.

It seems more like WWE is lazy than the audience just don't like following a story for more than a week. They've been following Fashion Peaks.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    The current audience having no patience is a valid argument.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It's not even a "funny don't draw money" thing, which is hard to believe because all the most well thought out plattitudes rhyme. There are a lot of acts in other companies that are primarily comedic but they know when to hit those serious moments.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    It's not even a "funny don't draw money" thing, which is hard to believe because all the most well thought out plattitudes rhyme. There are a lot of acts in other companies that are primarily comedic but they know when to hit those serious moments.

Or exhibit A in the WWE, the New Day. They largely became popular because of how funny they were and their chemistry together, on top of in-ring skill.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think there is a difference between being funny, and being a joke. The New Day are funny, but they also win and do so effectively and competently where most joke teams will lose to silly distractions and quick rollups. Breeze dressing up as a janitor and tripping up opponents is funny, but on a regular basis it makes both teams look weak, Breezango for not taking it seriously and the other team for pratfalling.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    DX was a comedy gimmick a lot of the time and they made bank

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The whole "WWE creative can't do long term booking because it's paranoid about injuries" theory wouldn't even matter if Vince just fucking protected his talent better in terms of wins and losses.

Which is why the wins and losses don't matter booking philosophy needs to die.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Which is why the wins and losses don't matter booking philosophy needs to die.

I thought you just said HHH would definitely do better running things than Vince

One of these people has been very much "wins and losses don't matter" publicly, and it isn't Vince

Bonus: Road Dogg (HHH's bff and current SD booker) is also publicly of the W&LDM mentality

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    I'm going to bet Hunter is saying that not to ruffle feathers. He doesn't have that mindset for NXT.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Wins and losses kinda matter. Only kinda, though. Everything needs to be in service to telling the story.

Back to the AJ/Dean/Ellsworth angle from last year. People lost their minds that Ellsworth was even in the ring with AJ. They couldn't believe that Ellsworth got some shots in, that he won the ladder match, even through shenanigans. They focused so much on the week to week that they lost sight of the story in the mix.

Wins and losses do matter, but not nearly as much as some people say. The story is what really matters. Now, the WWE is indeed lacking in the story department much of the time. Oftentimes, the story sucks. But fans scrambling to Twitter every time they disagree with a match result are often missing the forest for the trees. They wanted a moment and got a story beat instead.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Yes, hi, hello this seems relevant to my interests thank you.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Wins and losses kinda matter. Only kinda, though. Everything needs to be in service to telling the story.

Back to the AJ/Dean/Ellsworth angle from last year. People lost their minds that Ellsworth was even in the ring with AJ. They couldn't believe that Ellsworth got some shots in, that he won the ladder match, even through shenanigans. They focused so much on the week to week that they lost sight of the story in the mix.

Wins and losses do matter, but not nearly as much as some people say. The story is what really matters. Now, the WWE is indeed lacking in the story department much of the time. Oftentimes, the story sucks. But fans scrambling to Twitter every time they disagree with a match result are often missing the forest for the trees. They wanted a moment and got a story beat instead.

I think part of the problem is that the fans don't trust WWE to give us great stories at this point. Other promotions like ROH, Lucha Underground, even NXT seem to be able to do these things without people freaking out, but nobody really trusts mainline WWE to tell the story in the end, and part of that is that we've already seen so many stories and characters ruined in service to the almighty moment and/or making the current chosen one look strong. And I think that will continue until WWE earns back that trust, and the only way to do that would be to put together a good story and stick with it even if the initial reaction is not good.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I think part of the problem is that the fans don't trust WWE to give us great stories at this point. Other promotions like ROH, Lucha Underground, even NXT seem to be able to do these things without people freaking out, but nobody really trusts mainline WWE to tell the story in the end, and part of that is that we've already seen so many stories and characters ruined in service to the almighty moment and/or making the current chosen one look strong. And I think that will continue until WWE earns back that trust, and the only way to do that would be to put together a good story and stick with it even if the initial reaction is not good.

Doesn't help that the one long term plan WWE has right now is hated by the ever increasing smart fan base.

wirehead26 on
This discussion has been closed.