As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump's Afghanistan Policy Speech: 9 PM ET

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    "We are not nation-building again, we are killing terrorists"

So we are going to be there forever.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    At least he said we won't be nation building anymore

Of course that's one good sentence in 18 minutes (currently) of wted hmm mug hgffdfcyj

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oh so it is literally the same exact play he did of "I'll crush ISIS within thirty days of being in office."

That is, there's nothing but a slow, wet fart coming out of his ass.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    We will no longer be nation building, we will be killing terrorists.

but... uhh... is the Taliban part of that declaration? Because if so, killing them will create one hell of a vacuum if you aren't willing to engage in nation building.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    At least he said we won't be nation building anymore

Of course that's one good sentence in 18 minutes (currently) of wted hmm mug hgffdfcyj

the degree to which most american military operations have ever nation built is highly debateable

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh uh hmm

This Pakistan India stuff

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    He's talking about Pakistan's connections to the Taliban, like he found out about it today. Wants more cooperation from Pakistan. Also want more Indian involvement... that's not peanut butter and chocolate.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "We are not nation-building again. We are killing terrorists."

Holy mother of hell.
    There's some saying I remember about the only thing that grows when you put terrorists in the ground being more terrorists, but I can't fully recall who said it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He kind of struggled with Indo-Pacific

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ....That's how the military has worked since forever?

• Options
    And now he is quoting Dubya, but sounds dumber.

• Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    He is lifting rules of engagement for our forces? That seems like a humanitarian disaster about to happen

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    This fucking sucks. Listened to songs protesting this stupid war in highschool.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    That speech is freaking Pakistan now. Hes more or less saying we're going to ally with India so long as Pakistan is involved.

And I guess we'll be in Afghanistan forever.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Killing more terrorists also means killing way more civilians. Congratulations trump voting America, you are finally the bad guys the terrorists always wanted you to be

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

This was in Axios, earlier.
    "Operation Resolute Support": While the Trump administration is explicitly repudiating both the idea and the phrase "nation building," ORS is a train, advise and assist mission to help the Afghan army fight the Taliban, an official tells me. It's meant to help keep the government from collapsing while reversing Taliban gains.

This plan is made up entirely of dumb rhetoric. Besides the troop surge that he doesn't want to confirm, I still have no idea what he's changing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Killing more terrorists also means killing way more civilians. Congratulations trump voting America, you are finally the bad guys the terrorists always wanted you to be

at the risk of a thread derail, large portions of america and the american government have always been those bad guys

the presumption that the terrorists have never had rational reason to hate america is part of the mythology that keeps the war going

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So this is sounding an awful lot like the status quo

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Trump can't even announce bad policy effectively. He basically said nothing. We know less

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Trump has announced America's new policy of no longer tolerating terrorism against itself.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Nuclear is explicitly on the table.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Well this is a big nothing burger.

Completely worthless rhetoric.

• Options
    Bursar wrote: »

I missed that

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    yeah, there is absolutely nothing being said here aside from some platitudes about not nation building, but just killing bad guys because we prevail at what we do because we are Americans.

And now he is slowly enunciating Arlington. National. Cemetery *snort*

God I hate this man.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    what a hollow, vapid, totally devoid of any substance, bunch of hot fucking air

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    That was at best a waste of time

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was cooking dinner just now but the immediate summary responses I'm seeing is "no new policy actually announced." Is that correct?

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was cooking dinner just now but the immediate summary responses I'm seeing is "no new policy actually announced." Is that correct?

Yup!

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    reminder that India and Pakistan are nuclear powers and that siding with one against the other is a really poor strategy.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    I mean, if Trump was telling the truth there will be no new resources dedicated to infrastructure building in Afghanistan

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

There's a new policy, but it's a secret, because he doesn't want to give anything away to the enemy.

Because he doesn't understand how this stuff works, it sounds like.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Trump has announced America's new policy of no longer tolerating terrorism against it.

Finally

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    reminder that India and Pakistan are nuclear powers and that siding with one against the other is a really poor strategy.

Yeah I'm sure Pakistan was SUPER pleased with this

• Options

I missed that

"Under my administration, many billions of dollars more is being spent on our military, and this includes vast amounts being spent on our nuclear arsenal and missile defense."

This might be a North Korea reference slipped into the Afghanistan speech, but when he's giving a speech about an ongoing war and casually mentions that by the way we're going to have a whole lot more nukes available, I can't stop from thinking it's relevant.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Also this line is actually very scary. I'd much rather be in the nation building business than the killing people business I think. It's not a good look. Like at least say bring to justice or something.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    TetraRay wrote: »
    what a hollow, vapid, totally devoid of any substance, bunch of hot fucking air

I can't wait for the articles calling the speech "presidential," simply because Trump didn't stand up there and give us his usual off-the-cuff word vomit.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

I'd like to thank all of you that watched/listened to this and condensed it down to something that only needed 10s of everyone else's time.

• Options

I missed that

"Under my administration, many billions of dollars more is being spent on our military, and this includes vast amounts being spent on our nuclear arsenal and missile defense."

This might be a North Korea reference slipped into the Afghanistan speech, but when he's giving a speech about an ongoing war and casually mentions that by the way we're going to have a whole lot more nukes available, I can't stop from thinking it's relevant.

Well all the presidents since truman have spent $texas on our nuclear arsenal one way or another

• Options
    Richard Reeves was reporting on president Ford for New York Magazine a long time ago, and as far as I'm concerned he was really writing about Trump when he wrote this.

So it went as President Ford traveled 16,685 miles campaigning for Republican candidates in the month before Election Day, 1974. It was a big story — Nightly News, Page One! — with airport announcers parodying The China Trip at every stop. But journalism has its limits. Journalism is covering something, even when there is nothing. There is no accepted technique that deals adequately with the president’s travels. Do you write:

Grand Junction, Colorado, Nov. 2 — President Ford had nothing to say and said it badly to a friendly and respectful but slightly stunned crowd of 5,000.

It is not a question of saying the emperor has no clothes — there is a question of whether there is an emperor.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Trump is president of the USA somehow. From four years ago:

This discussion has been closed.