Options

[GoT][ASoIaF] It had its moments. (OPEN SPOILERS FOR S8, BEWARE)

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    Book thing
    People keep going on about Aegon being fake because he's actually from the Blackfyre line. But didn't whathisface legitimize all his bastards before he died? And it kinda led to a big war?

I'm pretty sure they were legitimized, so they're real Targs and so is Aegon.

I don't necessarily think he's going to last to the end, and the show has certainly given Cersei way more power than she should have in order to chalk up victories against Dany's invasion that I'm sure in the books will be more down to the greater number of forces in play. But still, I don't think he exactly fits as the mummers dragon.
    Different Aegon. The name is a reoccurring one. The mummers dragon is Aegon. The second son of Aerys (danys older brother). His head was supposedly smashed into the wall by the mountain. Tyrion ends up falling into a group protecting this kid with dyed blue hair. He figures out and gets the griff knight protector to admit that the kid is supposedly Aegon, rushed out of kings landing during the seige. I don't buy it.
    No, that's the same Aegon. The theory is that he is the child Illyrio had with the wife he loved who was of the Blackfyre lineage. Varys and Illyrio then conspire to put the child on the Iron Throne by claiming that he is Aegon, son of Rhaegar (not Aerys).

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Book thoughts
    i think Aegon will flame out quickly but Connington will be important in the endgame
    I wonder if he might also be aware of Jon's parentage? He should at least know the nature Rhaegar and Lyanna relationship;
    he seems to be connected to everything due to being Rhaegar's friend.

George Martin implied. Book stuff
    connington was in love with rhaegar

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Book thoughts
    i think Aegon will flame out quickly but Connington will be important in the endgame
    I wonder if he might also be aware of Jon's parentage? He should at least know the nature Rhaegar and Lyanna relationship;
    he seems to be connected to everything due to being Rhaegar's friend.

George Martin implied. Book stuff
    connington was in love with rhaegar

I think my gaydar was busted when I read the books. I didn't catch on to this nor the Renly/Loras thing.

Amusingly, GRRM stated in an interview that he tried to make the latter super obvious. Not obvious enough, apparently :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    So, Beric and Tormund were on top of the wall when it came down...

Tell me Tormund isn't dead plz. I need reassurance.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »

I believe that they are on the part of the wall still standing, they were looking back towards the part that fell as it fell away and that ran along the top to get away from it

There's no indication they're dead imo

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Named characters with fans do not die offscreen.

• Options

RIP Blackfish tho

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Fucking Blackfish. Didn't even get a fight scene.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't think Tormund died there but it wouldn't be totally out of character. Remember when Barristan died even though it looked like Grey Worm saved him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYdh1UwShE

Then next episode Oh...well I mean...I guess it's nice his throat didn't get cut?

• Options
    Barristan and Blackfish are the worst written deaths of heroes in the show

Tsk tsk D&D

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Tormund is a fan favorite. I could see Beric dying offscreen.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    They probably both survived the wall coming down, Beric will probably die in the escape from the subsequent horse of zombies though.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    jon snow and dany died offscreen to the ice dragon

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Preparations to film season 8 have begun! The Irish sets are active, with stuff currently being built and lots of people on site.

Filming begins next month, mostly to take advantage of the shorter days since the show is in winter now.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    They probably both survived the wall coming down, Beric will probably die in the escape from the subsequent horse of zombies though.

I like that this works both as was presumably intended, and as written.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »

RIP Blackfish tho

Did Stannis die onscreen and I missed it?

Huh, yeah, he did sorta. I forgot they came back and showed it later.

Delmain on
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

RIP Blackfish tho

Did Stannis die onscreen and I missed it?

Eh close. But yeah add that to the list :)

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just remember an entire year of people going "THERES NO WAY HES DEAD"

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I was gonna bring that one up, I don't even remember seeing it later but either way it counts

you saw the weapon but not the death. maybe she just chopped the tree.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    On Stannis (Winds of Winter Discussion from a Released Chapter)
    During the Theon Chapter that was released years ago, it mentioned that Stannis' snowed in Army was drilling holes into a lake to eat fish. So many holes were drilled that the surface was unstable, covered in snow, and in theory could collapse an Army. I really wish that the season ended on a cliff hanger with Stannis' Army being snowed in, the pink letter being sent, and Melisandre, the Queen, and Shireen being at Castle Black. The Pink Letter is sent, Jon is murdered, and Melisandre then burns Shireen plot thinking that it can save Stannis or something like that. I dunno. All the fun stuff happens, and then Jon and his Army marches South and find Stannis, alive. They don't break the news about what happened at Castle Black with his daughter/wife, and they fight on so that he doesn't lose his edge. Same battle takes place only crazy calvary scene takes place on the flanks where Stannis is leading the Cavalry. After Ramsay's Cavalry is defeated via falling through ice, they push forward. Somewhere in there as Stannis is doing his Commander thing he falls through the ice as the lake was bigger than anticipated and drowns. Meanwhile, Jon and his forces are being phalanxed to death when instead of the Vale arriving, the Baratheon Cav shows up and wipes out Ramsay instead of the Vale. Vale arrives this season with Littlefinger who shows up like the "late Walder Frey" type of thing.

Bleh. I dunno. That's how I would've done it if I were D&D. I remember reading that Stannis was portrayed off of a British Ruler during the War of the Roses and that his counterpart died via falling through a frozen lake. While I'mstealing that idea, I kinda feel that it would've been a better way to go. More "Games of Thronsies" in that bad luck can happen to anyone. That and it would've been cooler than Brienne of fucking Tarth getting vengeance/completing her vow. I liked the idea that Brienne was a Knight who could never fulfill her vows and that the romanticism of Knighthood is just romanticism.

See D&D. Its that easy. Just hire me as your writer. :)

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't think Tormund died there but it wouldn't be totally out of character. Remember when Barristan died even though it looked like Grey Worm saved him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYdh1UwShE

Then next episode Oh...well I mean...I guess it's nice his throat didn't get cut?

Grey worm recognized a real man like Barristan would not appreciate a coup de grace.

Much better to bleed out from your chopped up intestines. All knightly like.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Barristan "The Motherfucking Bold" Selmy is one of my favorite characters in GoT.

I normally roll my eyes at contemporary goody-goody white knights, since people really aren't normally like that, but I love Barristan because:

1. He's like that despite of the setting, which shows some rock hard convictions.

2. We later learn that he was internally conflicted, but still made each choice to the best of his ability, but in error of his notion of loyalty.

3. He gives a very nice contrast to Jamie, whom is actually more similar than not, on what happens when loyalty's and oaths conflict with each other.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Barristan "The Motherfucking Bold" Selmy is one of my favorite characters in GoT.

I normally roll my eyes at contemporary goody-goody white knights, since people really aren't normally like that, but I love Barristan because:

1. He's like that despite of the setting, which shows some rock hard convictions.

2. We later learn that he was internally conflicted, but still made each choice to the best of his ability, but in error of his notion of loyalty.

3. He gives a very nice contrast to Jamie, whom is actually more similar than not, on what happens when loyalty's and oaths conflict with each other.

He's also last of the old guard, from when the Kingsguard were the biggest badasses in Westeros.
    https://youtu.be/5OaMvxVHFs4

This aptly named clip is one of my favorite moments of the series. A shame that he goes out like Boba Fett fighting a blind guy.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Selmy dying felt fine to me. He's not a god, just a really good fighter. It felt somewhat appropriate: out to sing in the streets like Rhaegar, caught outnumbered and without his armor. Feels like a GoTy death to me.

• Options
    Selmy dying felt fine to me. He's not a god, just a really good fighter. It felt somewhat appropriate: out to sing in the streets like Rhaegar, caught outnumbered and without his armor. Feels like a GoTy death to me.

Well on that we agree.

Grrmy for sure, but I don't have to like it!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

The problem is more that he's supposed to be one of the greatest swordsmen ever. Notice in that clip that when he draws his sword everyone freaks out. His statement that "even now I could cut through the five of you" isn't him bragging, he's entirely serious and everyone in that room knows it.

His death had him with a bunch of the soldiers under his command breaking their ranks and giving up their superior numbers in the enclosed hallways with spears so that they could fight the people with swords. I guess they wanted it to be more fair instead of a slaughter? But during this dumb tussle that shouldn't have even happened, someone comes up behind him, is about to slit his throat, but is saved at the last second by grey worm, hurray! In literally everything else ever, this is a scene that shows us that the character was saved in the nick of time. I was very happy Barristan was still kicking! And then the next episode opened with his corpse and I was very confused. Whoops, guess he died anyway, making that last second save very pointless and misleading. It was poorly done for a character who deserved a lot better and I very much doubt it'll be the same in the books.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Oh, hey, silver book lining re: Shireen
    Just occurred to me that if she really does burn, it's definitely Selyse and Mel going behind Stannis' back (maybe to bring back Jon?), and they'd probably put Patchface up there with her.

His meter frustrates me.

(Re: Speakimg of Grrmy things.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    I think some of the larger strokes of the show story is still from GRRM's idea of where he wants to story to go at this point, but the finer details are being brought in by the show writers. I use Hodor as proof of this.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The show IS using the larger strokes of the story 100%. So the deaths are probably going to match up to a really high degree or be exact. In the end result, that is.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The show IS using the larger strokes of the story 100%. So the deaths are probably going to match up to a really high degree or be exact. In the end result, that is.

Many butterflies have died to bring us this show. If they weren't a S1 cast member, I'm not putting much stock in their book arcs matching up.

We can be faily certain the Sand Snakes aren't going to murder Doran and Trystane, for example. On the scale of "Dorne ultimately fails," sure, but how and who dies are probably, for the most part, determined entirely by the show runners.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Many butterflies have died to bring us this show. If they weren't a S1 cast member, I'm not putting much stock in their book arcs matching up.

We can be faily certain the Sand Snakes aren't going to murder Doran and Trystane, for example. On the scale of "Dorne ultimately fails," sure, but how and who dies are probably, for the most part, determined entirely by the show runners.

The other half of that is a consequence of show adaptation which ultimately forces the show writers to fill in the gaps that doesn't always work out, even minor character interacts being cut to save on show bloat.

A great recent example is Littlefinger and Sansa at Winterfell on the show.
    It's actually supposed to be Jayne (Sansa's former handmaiden), not Sansa, that Ramsey is supposed to marry and Theon rescues.

But the show cut that character out and a consequence is the writers are forced to plot around that, leading to what we got this season. It still worked out, but was rather stilted at times.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I fully expect the show to never show Elia Martell again. Even if KL is retaken, somebody will forget to go check the prison cells.

I also wouldn't put it past the show that if for some reason Theon goes to the wrong place to free Yara (ie. we don't know if Yara is on the Fleet with Euron or back at Pyke. How would he know, for that matter?), that the show may never show Yara again either.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    We don't need to see Elia Martell Ellaria Sand again.

She killed an innocent kid, and got her just fuckin' desserts. I'm good with that.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    *Ellaria Sand.

Elia Martell was married to Rhaegar, and was sister to Oberyn and Doran. The mountain raped and killed her in the final bits of Robert's Rebellion - long before the events of the show.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Hangin' with Gregor: An Inspector Clegane Adventure might be the most undeserved fanwank I've participated in.

Dude is genuine walking nightmare of a human being. He's two kids in a trenchcoat, where the two kids are Ramsay and Joffrey, the trenchcoat is Space Marine armor, and the double dose of insecurity is an opoid addiction.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    *Ellaria Sand.

Elia Martell was married to Rhaegar, and was sister to Oberyn and Doran. The mountain raped and killed her in the final bits of Robert's Rebellion - long before the events of the show.

Derp. Ellaria Sand.

That's who I meant, yes.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man now im all sad again thinking of the bad the show writers did to Selmy and the Blackfish. So bad in the way they killed them. But then again there have only been a few sword fights in this show that were worth a damn. They clearly dont have it in the budget to hire a proper sword trainer and so those characters suffered.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    *Ellaria Sand.

Allegedly.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    *Ellaria Sand.

Allegedly.

He confessed as he was crushing oberyn's skull.

• Options
    JustTee wrote: »
    *Ellaria Sand.

Allegedly.

He confessed as he was crushing oberyn's skull.

Allegedly married, I believe.

This discussion has been closed.