As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Todays random picture, saw it on reddit:

rpip84ng14a21.jpg

Some confusing perspective there! On a related note, I urge everyone who hasn't tried it yet to check out the thargoid combat zones. Some great fun just popping scouts to be had there even if you don't have any guardian weapons, and everyone I've met in open have been really friendly and cooperative. Nice change from the usual ganking squads at CGs (I pressume, I haven't done any CGs in ages now, at least that was what it used to be like).

Aaaaaand.... seems that the servers just went down due to the launch of the Distant Worlds 2 expeditions haha. Was on my way to Pallaeni to check it out, but now the servers are dead.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I made a little survey for PC folks to play together sometime, but before answering can you think of other things to ask? I'll let people know when to take it.

Ok. Slightly adjusted!

PLEASE TAKE THE SURVEY AND WE'LL FIND A TIME FOR ALL OF US TO PLAY TOGETHER

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Took a guided tour on someones conda on the Distant worlds 2 expedition! Some nice views:

lms2umrhca3h.jpg

gcwt1fn1g836.jpg

It's a nice opportunity to see the sights of the galaxy if you are to lazy to go yourself/have other things to do.

@TimFiji I filled out the survey, for what its worth!

• Options
      Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
      Gosh, I really want to play Elite, but every time I do I feel like I'm just burning time.

• Options
      Lodbrok wrote: »
      Took a guided tour on someones conda on the Distant worlds 2 expedition! Some nice views:

It's a nice opportunity to see the sights of the galaxy if you are to lazy to go yourself/have other things to do.

@TimFiji I filled out the survey, for what its worth!

Thanks!

• Options
        Gosh, I really want to play Elite, but every time I do I feel like I'm just burning time.

I perfectly understand where you are coming from, there are periods when I hardly play at all. With that said, the latest patch has really improved the immersion, at least for me. Somehow the universe feels more alive and lived-in now, even though it still is far from perfect. Of course, Elite is what you make of it, if nothing else just jumping into someones fighter can be great fun for short play-sessions. I don't think I would still be playing if I didn't have my adopted home-system where I keep tab on things and make sure things go the way I want them to... I even made a squadron (Friends of the HIP 60953 Resistance, if anyone is interested) just to use the new tools for tracking changes... like I said, you find your own meaning in this game.

• Options

I perfectly understand where you are coming from, there are periods when I hardly play at all. With that said, the latest patch has really improved the immersion, at least for me. Somehow the universe feels more alive and lived-in now, even though it still is far from perfect. Of course, Elite is what you make of it, if nothing else just jumping into someones fighter can be great fun for short play-sessions. I don't think I would still be playing if I didn't have my adopted home-system where I keep tab on things and make sure things go the way I want them to... I even made a squadron (Friends of the HIP 60953 Resistance, if anyone is interested) just to use the new tools for tracking changes... like I said, you find your own meaning in this game.

Is there more radio chatter than before? I feel like there is and I love radio chatter.

• Options
          FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
          I'm honestly pretty bad at finding medium to long term "meaning" in this game. VR and having a HOTAS have made the minute to minute spaceshipping really damn fun, but I typically shoot stuff for like an hour and then I'm good for the day.

I looked into the engineer stuff last time around but totally forgot everything I learned and have still done jack with it, so I should probably meander back that way at some point.

How does having multiple ships work? If I buy a cool explorer ship and fly away from my cool combat ship in one direction for like 3 months, do I have to fly 3 months back to use my fighter ship? Or is there some way to teleport me to the ship or the ship to me?

steam_sig.png
        • Options
          BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

Is there more radio chatter than before? I feel like there is and I love radio chatter.

There has been some added voice chatter from NPCs yes. For certain activities I think, not just in general.

• Options
          El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
          Does PA have a guild or clan for this game on PC? Is that even a thing?

I played a bunch early last year but found the game incredibly lonely. I also felt quite overwhelmed and fairly directionless. I've been thinking about playing again but would love to at least have a place to ask questions.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
          Origin: theRealElMucho
        • Options
          crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
          edited January 2019
          Fiatil wrote: »
          I'm honestly pretty bad at finding medium to long term "meaning" in this game. VR and having a HOTAS have made the minute to minute spaceshipping really damn fun, but I typically shoot stuff for like an hour and then I'm good for the day.

I looked into the engineer stuff last time around but totally forgot everything I learned and have still done jack with it, so I should probably meander back that way at some point.

How does having multiple ships work? If I buy a cool explorer ship and fly away from my cool combat ship in one direction for like 3 months, do I have to fly 3 months back to use my fighter ship? Or is there some way to teleport me to the ship or the ship to me?

You can have other ships err... shipped to your current dock. You just have to wait for some real-time for it to arrive.

If you're out in the middle of nowhere, then I dunno...

crimsoncoyote on
        • Options
          El Mucho wrote: »

I played a bunch early last year but found the game incredibly lonely. I also felt quite overwhelmed and fairly directionless. I've been thinking about playing again but would love to at least have a place to ask questions.

We got a discord and I'm trying to get together a squadron night. We don't have an official Squadron, but I offered my Ghost Raccoons Squadron (three of us!) as the squadron for PA.

• Options
            General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
            Or is there some way to teleport me to the ship or the ship to me?

There is a quick way to teleport back to the last port that you visited. IIRC it's in the right hand panel somewhere. It's the button labeled "self destruct. " Have your rebuy fee ready.

3DS Friend Code:
            Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
          • Options
            edited January 2019

We got a discord and I'm trying to get together a squadron night. We don't have an official Squadron, but I offered my Ghost Raccoons Squadron (three of us!) as the squadron for PA.

Is it the general PA discord, I don't see Elite Dangerous channels in the PA Discord I am in? Do you guys play PC or console?

Do you play open or on private instances?

El Mucho on
          • Options
            TubeTube Registered User admin
            I've been meaning to get back into playing, but I ordered some gear to mount my HOTAS so I've been waiting for that. Elite is very much a chillout game for me, so I don't know if it'll ever leave my rotation fully.

• Options

Is it the general PA discord, I don't see Elite Dangerous channels in the PA Discord I am in? Do you guys play PC or console?

There's a specific E:D PA discord. I'm at work but I can post it later unless someone else can hop in and help.

• Options
              ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular

There is a quick way to teleport back to the last port that you visited. IIRC it's in the right hand panel somewhere. It's the button labeled "self destruct. " Have your rebuy fee ready.

I believe this has changed a little bit. Ship destruction will now result in you being at the nearest station, unless you're a dirty crim, then it's the nearest detention facility. Which may not be all that near.

In any case, another option is to find a station, park your nice explorer ship and buy a sidewinder. You should probably sell any exploration data, or you'll lose it at the next step.
              Now self-destruct in the sidewinder and don't choose the rebuy. You'll wind up at your starter system in a different free sidewinder. You can then have your explorer shipped to you, if you want.

https://discord.gg/dSY3xj

• Options
              Zerocz wrote: »

I believe this has changed a little bit. Ship destruction will now result in you being at the nearest station, unless you're a dirty crim, then it's the nearest detention facility. Which may not be all that near.

In any case, another option is to find a station, park your nice explorer ship and buy a sidewinder. You should probably sell any exploration data, or you'll lose it at the next step.
              Now self-destruct in the sidewinder and don't choose the rebuy. You'll wind up at your starter system in a different free sidewinder. You can then have your explorer shipped to you, if you want.

https://discord.gg/dSY3xj

There aren't many stations to dock at 3 months travel time outside of the the bubble.

3DS Friend Code:
            • Options

I play both open and private. Let me know your CMDR name and I'll friend you and add you to my instance.

• Options
                I made a little survey for PC folks to play together sometime, but before answering can you think of other things to ask? I'll let people know when to take it.

Ok. Slightly adjusted!

And also add CMDR Archpriest to your friend list! :)

• Options
                  edited January 2019
                  I'm CMDR J. Brannigan.

Also, I filled out the survey.

I currently have Horizons, has there been additional purchasable content added? If so, is it something I need to look into buying?

El Mucho on
                • Options
                  So far I added everyone from the survey as a friend and to my private group. You can just run through that roster and add others. It's all PA folks except 3 friends of mine: Ogretz, Apache, Terminal Raptor.

Thanks for the responses!

• Options
                    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
                    edited January 2019
                    I didn't put any times on the survey because I work both night and day shifts, so it's better if you find a time that fits for everyone else and I will see if I'm even home! My usual days home are like monday/tuesday =D

LilleDjevel on
                    Grass Grows,
                    Birds Fly,
                    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
                  • Options
                    I'm having a tough time motivating myself to jump back the combination of re-setting up my HOTAS and the relearning the controls is giving me some serious anxiety.

I was watching a stream yesterday and they were using voice commands, that seemed pretty cool. Is that a seperate program I need to install or is that a game feature? I don't remember having voice commands when I played last year.

• Options
                    Voice attack is a separate utility that lets you activate macros via voice command. There is a free demo. Some suckers pay for macro profiles to load into voice attack instead of just making their own.

3DS Friend Code:
                  • Options
                    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
                    Voice attack is a separate utility that lets you activate macros via voice command. There is a free demo. Some suckers pay for macro profiles to load into voice attack instead of just making their own.

It's also super fucking fun.

Like, my Stealth mode voice macro is, "Computer, rig for silent running." :D

• Options
                    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
                    Is there a whats new in 2019 or elite catch up guide for someone who hasn't played in a year?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
                  • Options
                    I'm having a tough time motivating myself to jump back the combination of re-setting up my HOTAS and the relearning the controls is giving me some serious anxiety.

Don't give up! Fly with us!

• Options
                      edited January 2019
                      Elvenshae wrote: »

It's also super fucking fun.

Like, my Stealth mode voice macro is, "Computer, rig for silent running." :D

My trigger phrase for stealth mode is "button up."

General_Armchair on
                      3DS Friend Code:
                    • Options
                      edited January 2019
                      mojojoeo wrote: »
                      Is there a whats new in 2019 or elite catch up guide for someone who hasn't played in a year?

This link has a decent summary of the newer things. Hope that helps. I think anything specific we can answer here.

TimFiji on
                      • Options
                        IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
                        Good lord, the mining CG filled up so fast I think they added two more tiers to it.

steam_sig.png
                        Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
                        Backlog Challenge List
                      • Options
                        JazzJazz Registered User regular
                        edited January 2019

Ok. Slightly adjusted!

I filled out the survey.

Having PA handles to match to CMDR names might be a good addition to the form. Also which platform we're playing on (I'm on PC). (Forgot this was a PC survey!)

As might be able to be guessed by my avatar here, I'm CMDR Tali'Zorah. :)

I'm out of practice in the game and effectively still in early stages, so I put down trading just because right now I'm peacefully making a little money. I have a Cobra MkIII which was a backer reward, which helps a bit.

Jazz on
                      • Options
                        Jazz wrote: »

Ok. Slightly adjusted!

I filled out the survey.

Having PA handles to match to CMDR names might be a good addition to the form. Also which platform we're playing on (I'm on PC).

As might be able to be guessed by my avatar here, I'm CMDR Tali'Zorah. :)

I'm out of practice in the game and effectively still in early stages, so I put down trading just because right now I'm peacefully making a little money. I have a Cobra MkIII which was a backer reward, which helps a bit.

Yeah I saw I messed that up when I was adding people. I'll add people to my private group for now and others can see everyone in it to add them. Or PM your CMDR and forum name to me? I don't know the easiest solution.

• Options
                          What are recommendations for making money and generally learning the systems of the game? Any goals I should set and aim for?

When I last played I mostly did simple jobs and just ran between nearby systems. I am quite bad at the combat and died pretty much every time I shot at something. I did upgrade from the sidewinder to a slightly larger ship but I don't recall what it was.

• Options
                          JazzJazz Registered User regular
                          edited January 2019
                          Is anyone here (or does anyone know) CMDR Dextermaximus? I have a pending friend request from them but have no idea who they are. (I assume it's no-one here since I don't think I've mentioned my CMDR name before, but it's worth asking.)

@TimFiji I added you and requested to join your group. Fired you off a friend request on Steam too.

Jazz on
                        • Options
                          What are recommendations for making money and generally learning the systems of the game? Any goals I should set and aim for?

When I last played I mostly did simple jobs and just ran between nearby systems. I am quite bad at the combat and died pretty much every time I shot at something. I did upgrade from the sidewinder to a slightly larger ship but I don't recall what it was.

Last I checked, the big money making scheme is mining void opals and low temperature diamonds by blowing up motherload asteroids.

Information about deep core mining is what you want to read up on. I'm phone posting, so I can't go into depth about how. You will need to use some of the community resources to find a target point of sale, since there are usually only a handful of stations that are offering $$$$ at any given point in time. You generally won't encounter resistance during the act of mining, but the game will spawn npcs to interdict you as you try to fly home to sell it. If you're playing in open, players might be camping the stations with the most lucrative payouts.

As for cheapest ship that can deep core mine, I don't know if the hauler can equip everything that you need for deep core mining. I think that the adder probably can. Granted they're both bad at it and they'll just be stepping stones to bigger ships. The asp explorer is a popular deep core miner.

For a general purpose ship that's available pretty early, the cobra mkiii is downright op for its weight class and price point.

3DS Friend Code:
                        • Options
                          LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
                          And if mining dosn't sound like something you wanna do, the road to riches is a good option. Fly about and scan planets, then return to a station and bank in all your scan data.

Reddit explains better than me: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6foccy/road_to_riches_improved/

Grass Grows,
                          Birds Fly,
                          'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
                        • Options
                          Jazz wrote: »
                          Is anyone here (or does anyone know) CMDR Dextermaximus? I have a pending friend request from them but have no idea who they are. (I assume it's no-one here since I don't think I've mentioned my CMDR name before, but it's worth asking.)

@TimFiji I added you and requested to join your group. Fired you off a friend request on Steam too.

Added!

• Options
                            Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
                            I did the survey, having some PC problems at the moment but as soon it’s up and running I will check in. Been too long and I miss the call of space.

• Options
                            BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
                            edited January 2019
                            I'm having internet problems. AT&T cut my fiber line accidentally doing something with the neighbors line. Best part is they say they can't come to fix it until Tuesday. Weeee. Gonna get a couple free months out of this.

Bigity on