As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I still look at that and wonder 'why?'. It just seems like such a silly thing to add to the game, and will introduce yet more feature creep to a game that is seriously lacking in depth. I want space to be more interesting, not to wander around on foot too.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Let me land on all planets first. I don't need FPS twitch combat in my space simulation.
    Also why would you ever land on a piece of space rock to assault your enemies when you can nudge a meteorite into a planet surface.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Let me land on all planets first. I don't need FPS twitch combat in my space simulation.
    Also why would you ever land on a piece of space rock to assault your enemies when you can nudge a meteorite into a planet surface.
    Can't loot their shit if it's all a crater.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Just went to a Guardian site for the first time. It's pretty neat but the SRV is a pain to drive.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm the opposite. The announcement of Odyssey is actually what got me hyped up for the game and was a big enough draw to motivate me to actually play and start building up my personal fleet and my money and unlocks and stuff.

I'm super excited for Odyssey.

Really, the one thing I wish they'd flesh out more is the Horizons gameplay. Add more vehicles. Add more vehicle missions. Add a variety of vehicle based gameplay.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Hades wrote: »
    Just went to a Guardian site for the first time. It's pretty neat but the SRV is a pain to drive.

Indeed. I just flew out to Deciat to engineer my Diamondback's FSD and took my SRV to the nearby basin to look for Manganese... after riding over a small bump that sent me flying off the cliff into said basin.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    If it's not getting yeeted across the Guardian site it's getting weirdly stuck on things. Hopefully there's a new vehicle that controls better.

Hades on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    If it's not getting yeeted across the Guardian site it's getting weirdly stuck on things. Hopefully there's a new vehicle that controls better.

Just let me engineer it into a hovercraft

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
      Steam players beware, there's some login issues going around. Source is thought to be FDev taking Horizons off the store now that it's included in base E:D purchases.

steam_sig.png
      Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
      So I was giving this a look once I heard about the upcoming expansion and I'm curious to know if it's worth playing on a XB1. Also, how good/bad is it for new players? Will I have a rough time if I'm the sort for PvE?

• Options
      Owenashi wrote: »
      So I was giving this a look once I heard about the upcoming expansion and I'm curious to know if it's worth playing on a XB1. Also, how good/bad is it for new players? Will I have a rough time if I'm the sort for PvE?

As someone who flies using a gamepad, I find it perfectly playable in PvE. It's also easier than ever to earn monies between deep core mining and the recent buff to bounty hunting.

Do be advised that the game doesn't teach you a whole lot beyond the basics in the tutorial. But there are plenty of resources outside the game to help you make the most of your time.

steam_sig.png
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      My four YouTube sources for tutorials/explanations:

Down To Earth Astronomy
      Obsidian Ant
      CMDR Exegious
      Yamiks

Special shout out to The Pilot for making the most stunning videos about every ship in the game. Dude truly created a masterpiece.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      In other news, I finally ground out enough Imperial ranks to get my Courier! And also grabbed an FDS for mining while they were on sale.

steam_sig.png
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      Nebula's on fire, yo.

Thargoids done attacked the Coalsack and Witch Head Nebulae, nine stations between them. Bought meself a Chieftain to fit for AX combat.

Also took a trip out to Rosette! Getting around the permit locked systems was a pain, but I got access to Palin as well as 50m credits and halfway to Pioneer for the trouble.

steam_sig.png
      Backlog Challenge List
    • Options
      tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
      Started playing this a few days ago (got it free on Epic). Bought an Adder and went off to "explore the galaxy" with maybe 400k credits. Things are way scarier away from Pilots Federation planets! Took a mission that sent me way out to this place. But uhh what do I do now? Where do I go?

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
      edited January 2021
      tsmvengy wrote: »
      Started playing this a few days ago (got it free on Epic). Bought an Adder and went off to "explore the galaxy" with maybe 400k credits. Things are way scarier away from Pilots Federation planets! Took a mission that sent me way out to this place. But uhh what do I do now? Where do I go?

Whatever you want, that's the beauty.

I'm not sure if the rare commodities routes are still a decent payout, but they used to be a good starting point. Also potentially exploration.

Bigity on
    • Options
      edited January 2021
      Bigity wrote: »

I'm not sure if the rare commodities routes are still a decent payout, but they used to be a good starting point. Also potentially exploration.

Yeah, I was thinking exploration might be a good idea since you just flit about rather than being overwhelmed with 1000 missions...

EDIT: I saw the information about a group in the first post, but it doesn't look like it still works, is that the case? Anywhere we are playing together?

tsmvengy on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but I don't think much has changed in-game since the date of the info:

http://remlok-industries.fr/the-complete-explorer-guide/?lang=en

• Options

Yeah, I was thinking exploration might be a good idea since you just flit about rather than being overwhelmed with 1000 missions...

EDIT: I saw the information about a group in the first post, but it doesn't look like it still works, is that the case? Anywhere we are playing together?

I need to update the first post. I have a group with 99% PA people on it if we want to use that, just let me know your name or friend request me CMDR Archpriest

• Options
        It's official: Lakon Spaceways has been purchased by Core Dynamics. Pending an investigation of the new Board of Directors, I'm quite looking forward to the idea of smaller Federation ships come Odyssey. Federal FDS plz?

steam_sig.png
        Backlog Challenge List
      • Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

I need to update the first post. I have a group with 99% PA people on it if we want to use that, just let me know your name or friend request me CMDR Archpriest

Cool, invite sent.

steam_sig.png
      • Options
        20210106064428_1.jpg?width=788&height=443

Imperial Eagle, engineered to 745km/s boost speed. I can probably peg 850 with a bit more work.

...I've already made one crater on Pomeche 2C :biggrin:

steam_sig.png
        Backlog Challenge List
      • Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

Cool, invite sent.

Got ya. Should be good now. If you want to join a squadron I run Ghost Raccoons, nothing really organized. Just something to mess around with.

• Options
          Today I joined Operation Ida, tagging along with one of their Fleet Carriers as we ferried goods from the bubble to Betancourt Station. Finally shelled out for a Type 9 and hoo boy does it steer in slow motion.

steam_sig.png
          Backlog Challenge List
        • Options
          SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
          Made Trader Elite today (my first one hurrah!) since starting in December, can now start on maybe getting some Engineers unlocked and stuff. Most of that was in the last week, found a really short hop that was really profitable for bulk resources so my Xmas Type 9 paid for itself a whole load of times over.

7qmGNt5.png
          D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
        • Options
          daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
          I was about 5k out from Sol when I ran into my first Earthlike planet, added fun in that I was the first to discover it. So I immediately got twitchy and ran screaming back to the bubble to sell off the data and get my name on it. Got about 80M or so for all the data I had, dropped most of it into upgrading the Anaconda. Not A-rated, not even close, but certainly a lot spiffier than it was. I need to get on the fat loot from mining (or whatever) train.

On my way back to the bubble I saw my first space mollusks, so that was cool. Also ran into a system with heaps on non-human signal sources. The Diamondback isn't exactly a murder machine, so I didn't investigate further.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
        • Options
          It's fun getting your name on something even if it might just be a frozen rock.

• Options
          SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I had to travel a surprisingly long way to find my first undiscovered system.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
        • Options

I had to travel a surprisingly long way to find my first undiscovered system.

Were you doing efficient jumps? A lot of people travel that way, if you do shorter jumps or go up or down from the galactic plane a bit there are loads of new systems.

I think FDev has said like less than 1% of them have been tagged.

• Options
          I found some around the Coalsack nebula. The systems were surveyed but no one bothered to DSS the planets.

• Options
          InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
          While I haven't found a completely new system, I did find some planets in some systems that were never scanned a while back(I haven't done much exploring since they changed the scanners). Since I had the upgraded scanner, I figure that the people who originally scanned the system only had the limited range scanner, so didn't know there were more planets further away from the sun of the system.

• Options
          LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
          Apparently, Odyssey is delayed until sometime later in the spring. If I understand correctly, alpha(/beta) in april, and release before end of may? Unfortunately, consoles will come later, sometime in the fall... that's a bummer. Hopefully they will be able to tweak things during the beta for a better release, I guess covid has taken a toll on the UK in particular. OA video here:
          https://youtube.com/watch?v=Aimsnu5nuSw

• Options
          It's an ambitious expansion. I am not surprised by the delay.

• Options
          I am highly bummed about the delay on consoles. Maybe they're looking to only put it out on the new hotness.

• Options
          If there is one thing you can count on with Elite content releases, it is delay. Just hope it ends up worth the delay.

• Options
          If there is one thing you can count on with Elite content releases, it is delay. Just hope it ends up worth the delay.

I've got money in Star Citizen, so I'm not going to complain about any delays from Frontier on this. I'll simply do the shut up and take my money when it's released. I might get grumpy if the expansion has a more murderous version of the SRV and I have to wait to get my hands on it.

• Options
          TubeTube Registered User admin
          I honestly assumed it was coming out in like, Q3 anyway.

• Options
          kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
          I just wanted to share something that some folks may find useful. All my long years of playing flight sims, I've used a hotas, or at least a stick and keyboard. Just tried using an xbox controller as a novelty, but with the chatpad attached it's actually quite nice. Sometimes I don't want to pull my full vr setup out to mine for a half hour, and this makes it almost fully functional, giving me access to 50+ extra hotkeys

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
        • Options
          SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
          edited January 2021
          I discovered two things tonight.

1) there's a music player in the Steam overlay
          2) CCR works really well for surface mining

Syngyne on
          5gsowHm.png
        • Options
          Credence Clearwater Revival? That's the only acronym I can come up with that matches those letters.