As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural disasters] Hurricane season is upon us

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Looks like Boston area is flooding from the storm, which may freeze in place as the temperatures drop overnight

http://abcnews.go.com/US/snowstorm-floods-boston-harbor-coastal-massachusetts-streets-icy/story?id=52142213
    Over a foot of icy water filled the roadway of Revere Street and Winthrop Parkway, about 7 miles northeast of downtown Boston. A resident standing outside his house nearby watched as vehicles attempted to plow through the thick slush. He told ABC affiliate WCVB flooding in the area is common but the amount of snow and ice is unusual and makes the floodwater more difficult to move through.

"It's not so slushy like this, so it usually runs off more," the resident said. "I guess we'll see how it goes when we wake up in the morning."

This is some Day After Tomorrow shit, just on a much smaller scale.

Veevee on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I love in a fairly newish trailer in SC and it has been so cold that my heat, set only to 70, has not cut off in over a week. If course the trailer will only get to about 68 since it is insulated about as well as a metal box. The outside unit is covered in ice and there is no way for me to let it thaw without letting my house get stupid cold. When I left work Monday morning it was 10 degrees outside and my windshield made a loud pop when it finally started to warm up. I live in the deep south where there are all kinds of issues (racism, misogyny, homo and transphobia, etc), but it does not get this damn cold!

Did your windshield already have a crack or pitting from rock damage?

It did not have any structural damage before or after the pop. I think it was either the glass expanding from the heat or the metal frame or something. Whatever it was, I heard it quite clearly come from my windshield even with the radio on.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    The molding around car windows making popping noises is not to unusual when it gets cold. As long as you are not seeing cracking on the window it is likely just due to the expansion from going from really cold to warmed up car temps.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    This is some Day After Tomorrow shit, just on a much smaller scale.

Pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgizMjL4AaU

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What the fuck, that's crazy!!!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I suppose the ground's not lava...

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw the shark pulled from the water frozen solid I thought 'hang on this is the plot of The Day After Tomorrow'.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    W-what are you going to do with a car full of supposedly dead iguanas?

Iguana soup?
    Yes, basically. News report said he was planning on cooking and eating them.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Sub zero highs last week, and it's now in the 40's. Just opened the windows and it feels amazing. It may be cold on the east coast now, but this warmth is headed that way.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Sub zero highs last week, and it's now in the 40's. Just opened the windows and it feels amazing. It may be cold on the east coast now, but this warmth is headed that way.

I can't wait

the second it hits 50 I'm going to walk for 10* miles because I can

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The Sauce wrote: »

Iguana soup?
    Good on the Iguanas for fighting back then.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I heard iguanas an invasive species to Florida so there was some celebration around them being harmed by the weather.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Iguana soup?
    Good on the Iguanas for fighting back then.

They were not dead yet they were just pining for the fjords.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Good news: rain in California, so the fire season is finally over.

Bad news: heavy rain in places where the fires were, so we may see some mudslides.

http://weatherwest.com/ - California weather blog I casually follow. Most recent update is fine, but if you're on data caps, beware checking that place because sometimes updates have huge animated gifs which can chew through data.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I heard iguanas an invasive species to Florida so there was some celebration around them being harmed by the weather.

They are invasive. Some people hate them, most people don't care. The people who are afraid of snakes and lizards absolutely freak out if they see them, which can be pretty funny. So far, they haven't been as destructive as boas and pythons in the everglades, though.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

They are invasive. Some people hate them, most people don't care. The people who are afraid of snakes and lizards absolutely freak out if they see them, which can be pretty funny. So far, they haven't been as destructive as boas and pythons in the everglades, though.

I have bad news for these people about Florida...

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Bad news: heavy rain in places where the fires were, so we may see some mudslides.

http://weatherwest.com/ - California weather blog I casually follow. Most recent update is fine, but if you're on data caps, beware checking that place because sometimes updates have huge animated gifs which can chew through data.

Heh, we just got an automated call from the city of LA letting us know of potential evacuations from areas previously affected by wildfires. Fortunately, the fires never affected the hills on the side of this house, so we should be OK!

Kind of nice to have a day of light rain. We haven't really had anything like this since moving here 5 months ago. And after looking at the weather back in central Illinois, I'm quite happy to be here right now.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Heh, we just got an automated call from the city of LA letting us know of potential evacuations from areas previously affected by wildfires. Fortunately, the fires never affected the hills on the side of this house, so we should be OK!

Kind of nice to have a day of light rain. We haven't really had anything like this since moving here 5 months ago. And after looking at the weather back in central Illinois, I'm quite happy to be here right now.

In an "ideal" year, we'd have mostly light rain starting mid-to-late November going until about mid-April, then sunny the rest of the year.

Last winter we had a TON of rain, most other years we have very little. It's getting started late this year, so I'm not expecting a whole lot. But yeah, I end up missing and enjoying the rain when it happens here. What I REALLY miss are thunderstorms, though. We just don't seem to get those anymore.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

There's been a major mudslide in Montecito. 17 dead, 100 homes destroyed, and 30 miles of the 101 shut down.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The mudslide is all over the news even here. The damage is as unbelievable and apocalyptic looking as any of the other recent disasters. :(

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Man, I was just there on Sunday. We stopped at a cafe just a few hundred feet from where they were driving past that Caldwell Banker in the video.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Read something like 0.5 inches in 5 minutes.

Mudslides are often triggered by 0.4 inches in an hour.

And that was at 3:30 am to boot.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Footage from the Burbank fire department showing a Prius "bobsledding" with a mudflow down the street:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Xm7G_6nDA

The occupants of the vehicle are fine, and NBCNews has the driver's full story here.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Awesome for the safety of the driver (and passengers). Been seeing that floating around as a gif without context.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Seth Meyers did a news roundup tonight focusing on Puerto Rico and the recovery effort there in the wake of the hurricane a few months ago. The short of it is that they've been left to fend for themselves for the most part and the response by the government has gone from pathetically bad to non-existent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfWGEgVuxck

Edit - I am in fucking awe that we can be this far out from a hurricane and American citizens are getting fucked over like this. God we need a purge of racists out of our government.

Henroid on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Seth Meyers did a news roundup tonight focusing on Puerto Rico and the recovery effort there in the wake of the hurricane a few months ago. The short of it is that they've been left to fend for themselves for the most part and the response by the government has gone from pathetically bad to non-existent.

Edit - I am in fucking awe that we can be this far out from a hurricane and American citizens are getting fucked over like this. God we need a purge of racists out of our government.

To alot of americans and a lot of the government, they are american citizens with an asterisk. People forget about them and don't really see them as real americans.

And so the crisis just kinda goes on, unremarked upon.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

To alot of americans and a lot of the government, they are american citizens with an asterisk. People forget about them and don't really see them as real americans.

And so the crisis just kinda goes on, unremarked upon.

This doesn't surprise me too much

I mean full disclosure I wasn't even aware they were citizens until probably a few years ago because US territories weren't even really a footnote in the US history classes I took.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Part of the reason why the flu season this year has been so bad is because a lot of the medical supply manufacturers are in Puerto Rico. Hospitals are having shortages of basic goods, such as IV bags of saline for treating dehydration, which is important to have when people are sick and can't hold down food and drink and are getting dehydrated. Yeah, it's a bad flu, but death rates are spiking too because people can't get treated for it properly.

An evil but competent administration would have noted they at least should get power back on for the big medical manufacturers to avoid problems like this, and yeah Puerto Rico as a whole would benefit, but the companies still need to be propped up. Trump's regime just laughs at the suffering of nonwhite people and leaves and the now what they would consider "real Americans" on the mainland are dying, because nothing happens in a vacuum, but they still don't care. It's not like Fox News is going to be reporting that the reason half the Bingo club died from the flu is because of Puerto Rico being abandoned, so they're not going to know or connect the dots on their own and will still keep being Trump supporters.

Also I've been checking the CDC website weekly for flu updates, and Puerto Rico of course hasn't been reporting. They probably have much higher death rates from the flu too that aren't being reported, effectively more indirect casualties from the hurricane. We still don't have accurate counts of deaths from the hurricane. By this many months out from Katrina, we were well aware there were over a thousand deaths.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    It's something that makes it increasingly hard for me to like this country/white people in general. Never really felt this way before this administration. I hate that I'm becoming like this :( .

sig.gif
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, don't become a racist in response to racism... that just makes the problem that much worse.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Recognizing institutional racism isn't becoming racist.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Iguana soup?

Were about 150 years too early in the timeline for this ffs

• Options
    Estimated 500,000 Bees killed by vandals in Iowa on December 27th. Just read two boys, age 12 and 13, have been arrested for this.

Estimated 200,000 Bees killed by vandals in California on January 13th.

God damnit people, please be nice to the bees. Bees are our friends. We need Bees for life on this planet as we know it to survive.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Estimated 500,000 Bees killed by vandals in Iowa on December 27th. Just read two boys, age 12 and 13, have been arrested for this.

God damnit people, please be nice to the bees. Bees are our friends. We need Bees for life on this planet as we know it to survive.

I saw both these stories and both times it was just "WTF!? WE FUCKIN NEED THOSE BEES!"

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

I don't like bees, but I'd never visit violence upon one unless it entered my home or car. I try to promote that understanding with every bee I encounter outdoors.

Wasps can go fuck themselves, though. What a uselessly mean creature a wasp is.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I used to rescue wasps that had fallen into my swimming pool when I was a kid(with diving sticks, not my hands). Then one time, a wasp thanked me with a sting to the thumb. The rescues turned into murders after that.

Also, now I have what appear to be fat little black bees that burrow into the wood around my house and spray liquid shit all over my doors. Are those bees ok to kill, because I kill them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Removing pests from your home is fine. It’s when you go to the trouble of finding the hives to eradicate a half a million agriculturally vital insects is there a problem.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yeah. I didn't feel good about getting an exterminator to wipe out a nest, but my A/C is not a nesting area and my living room is not an alternate means of entry.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    you can always reach out to local um...bee enthusiasts (I forget the term) to see if they would like to rehome a hive

This discussion has been closed.