As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] 30th Anniversary Fest Tonight! Free 30 pull to get you started.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Here's hoping that the 5* magicite fights will be the FFXIV Primals.

Who'd be Dark?

Water: Leviathan
    Fire: Ifrit
    Ice: Shiva
    Wind: Garuda
    Earth: Titan
    Lightning: Ramuh

Holy would be KOTR, but who'd be Dark? I very much doubt we'll see a fight with Zodiark any time soon.

Nidhogg.

Also holy could be Alexander.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    5* will probably be just the most iconic across all the games

Ifrit
    Shiva
    Ramuh
    Leviathan
    I would have said Garuda, but since they're a 4 my bet is on sylph
    Titan
    Alexander
    Dark is a tough one; maybe Diabolos?

Then Bahamut for ultimate magicite or something

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Aegis wrote: »
    My anticipated Crystal Tower experience:

1st Floor: This was easy.
    Every Other Floor: Y'Shtola LIGHTNING I MISS YOU
    FTFY ;P
    Rius wrote: »
    I made extra copies of Aegis Strike (Celes) and Lifebane (Master), then shattered them and honed Lifebane to R3. In for a penny, in for a pound! Zell is so good for my Physical teams, it feels just fine to give him the goods.

I'm still mulling over R3 Valiagarmanda or R2 Neo Bahamut, as well as committing to Omega Drive or Dervish. Don't need any of the four just yet, anyway.

I am regretting my R2 Aegis Strike and R2 Sky High, both have seen almost no use at all and they've consumed a bunch of Earth Crystals. Fortunately since I didn't pay in Crystals for the R1s of each, I'll get almost the entire investment back if I shatter them. We'll see.
    Yeah I didn't see any responses to my question earlier, 6* abilities have me sort of scratching my head now that the obvious hones are out of the way. Lifebane R3 makes me really jealous but it's just not in my budget, takes too many Fire Crystals.

I don't think Neo Bahamut is worth taking to R2 even after it gets buffed. Yes, Omni bosses are more prevalent but the multitarget fights usually aren't or have some kind of weakness that Vali has a good chance of hitting.

If you like using anyone who can Combat doublecast then Omega Drive seems like a no-brainer. I don't seem to see many people using Dervish either, even with the sizable buffs.

Right now I'm deciding between:
    R1+R2 Omega Drive vs R3 Meltdown (Fire Crystals)
    R1+R2 Omega Drive vs R1+R2 Dervish vs R3 Snowspell Strike (Power Crystals)
    R3 Meltdown vs R2 Curada (Earth Crystals)

I don't use Cloud or Noctis so that devalues Omega Drive.
    SSS is unlocked for Celes and Ayame. Once I get Ayame's BSB and it gets buffed it's going to murder beyond all belief so that is very tempting, even if it'll be awhile. I have 10 motes left so I could unlock it for Bartz and someone else I guess but I don't have any candidates I really care about.
    Dervish capable people who I actually use are Lightning, Prishe, Rikku, Fran and I guess Lion and Orlandeau. Prishe is never going to use it because she has Lifebane. Lightning is probably not going to use it because she's just going to Thundering Twinstrike or something. I guess as a fight opener if she has absolutely nothing better to do in a JS instead of Powerchain but it doesn't give the same utility. I never bring Fran for damage, only breaks, so I guess if I needed it and she didn't have a Shooter skill that was more applicable, ditto for Rikku. It could replace Thief's Revenge on her right now, I suppose, though hone pressure is a thing and I'm a ways away from R3ing it.
    I've run out of both Meltdown and Curada hones but the latter is only a problem in fights where RNG hasn't targeted the healer much for me to BSB by the time the 4 uses run out. Both are amazing while they last. Curada technically gets used more but I think Meltdown is probably the bigger power jump, especially as it'll be awhile before we see the ability reworks for 5* elemental attacks.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    My anticipated Crystal Tower experience:

1st Floor: This was easy.
    Every Other Floor: Y'Shtola LIGHTNING I MISS YOU
    FTFY ;P

I hadn't even thought of that D:

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Ifrit
    Shiva
    Ramuh
    Leviathan
    Titan
    Alexander

Sylph is a 4*

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I was all ready to convince myself to Legend Dive Cid Raines and craft R2 Meltdown, solely to maybe try taking on Golem, and then I doublechecked his LM2 which I thought was Dualcast Blackmagic, and turned out to be Dualcast Holy/Dark.

Welp, there goes that plan.

Characters
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Ifrit
    Shiva
    Ramuh
    Leviathan
    Titan
    Alexander

Sylph is a 4*

Wind Tiamat and Dark Chaos.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Bismark down, holy crap that whale dumps damage all over you. I could barely keep up with the damage. Did double entrust into TG CID.

Not sure if I want to try the burning man tonight.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So do 4* Magicite make 3* irrelevant?

Also it would be nice if they spread out the realms a bit.
    A steak! wrote: »
    Took UltraBartz up against Liquid Flame, and it's every bit as crazy as I had thought it would be. I don't even have him legend dived yet, either.

EDIT - Just fought it again and he's doing 9999x2 Twinstrikes with up to 26k on the chase. I could get used to this.

What buffs did you have, what was his attack at?
    ...You had his enelement BSB for that right?

That was Shout, USB, his en-element BSB and +40% from items. I had been saving for either this banner or the upcoming event for a while, and ended up blowing all my stockpile on this banner. I'll probably come to regret that.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Bismark down, holy crap that whale dumps damage all over you. I could barely keep up with the damage. Did double entrust into TG CID.

Not sure if I want to try the burning man tonight.
    Last Stand helps if you're only doing single healer if you can fit it in. He mostly only kills from Savage Breech Blast + something else before you can heal but you'll get a turn after that to recover even if any lives were popped.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    FF5-2 100 gem: 4* garbage. Bit of a terrible streak going here. Thought I was reverting to mean, but guess not!

FF5-1 1st 11 pull: 1 rainbow, zero discos. Kill me now, uuuugh. Galuf EnFire! The literal worst item on the banner! Garbage!!! OF COURSE!!!!!
    FF5-1 2nd 11 pull: 2 rainbows, zero discos. Grand prize forever lost, what else is new. And then... Faris SSB (dupe), Faris LMR.
    GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE!!!! LITERALLY NOTHING I WILL EVER USE EVER IN 100 MYTHRIL! COME ON!!! !@#$%^&*&^%$#$%^&*(

E: Somehow I still don't have a CM capable team for FFV! What the hell!

Data for posterity:
    8 misses in a row

15/131 lifetime

5/36 this batch

Note to self: No whining, Rikku USB, never forget. Also Cloud BSB2.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    This has gotta be some kind of a record

5053thpy25dn.png

Clearly I'm still not optimized here; so many Slows, right through Affliction Break. I just wanted an Enkidu; I'll come back to this chump again much later.

• Options
    This has gotta be some kind of a record

Clearly I'm still not optimized here; so many Slows, right through Affliction Break. I just wanted an Enkidu; I'll come back to this chump again much later.
    *cough*
    Bonus farming screenshot:
    tDmC3YFl.png

*shakes fist*
    I did get him firmly on farm under a minute after that run, though.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't know about Affliction Break on Fenrir. It's only a 15% chance to start with, reduced to 8% afterwards.

Characters
  • Options
    Sure doesn't feel like 15%, damn. I feel like he landed eight slows in that minute.

• Options
    Sure doesn't feel like 15%, damn. I feel like he landed eight slows in that minute.

That's because he hits your entire party, so one application only has a 44% chance of no slows.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Basically, between Fenrir and Golem, fuck slow and interrupt.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    VII Torment is next up. I have no idea what I'm going to do for the D300 CM because he's immune to water, which neatly cuts out Yuffie as my best VII option. Reno BSB will help even if it's AoE, but he's got a lot of HP and his Wind weakness doesn't open until 30%.

edit: Okay, 1CM will work. That's about as much as I can math out.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I don't know about Affliction Break on Fenrir. It's only a 15% chance to start with, reduced to 8% afterwards.

Are you kidding me? It is only 15% chance?! That has to be the most brutally punishing 15% odds event I have seen yet. Then again I can have some crap luck with statuses. Like Ray was a serious hinderance in a number of my Liquid Flame runs. Don't even talk to me about the bullshit that is the current multiplayer. I was ready to smash my phone honestly.

Did the U and up battles for V today in catching up after using Sundaily to catch up on my SBs, and boy we do behind as I had like 6 to go through. I must say though I am liking Bartz LMR. Triple cast Quake Strike just tears through shit with an alarming efficiency. He is up next for legend diving so I can go fishing for Pentacasts. If not for going all in on Cloud for dual cast combat (so worth it) I would have already. That will be my 4th LD physical DPS and my 4th that is a Spellblade. I guess I have a type.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Basically, between Fenrir and Golem, fuck slow and interrupt.

Iris's BSB says "Suck it."

E:
    Oh, the 30s rewards for 4* magicite is a 6* crystal and some gil. Well, not a huge deal still since crystals are farmable in dailies for Japan these days. They've also been reduced to 20 stamina.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    Farming up Magicite today. Doing things in a very orderly fashion:

-Skipped Magicite the last couple days waiting for weekly CM reset, and prioritized Sundaily to level existing magicite
    -Built my Golem team, loaded the drop inspector and am grinding up to 3 copies of each 3-star earth magicite

I know some people are going right to level 99 but I would prefer to keep flexibility. Plus I'm human and I am bound to forget to look at the drop and just fight the battle, so I would prefer not to get the 5th of one type before I have 4 of each.

After today I'll have completed both weekly quests and will be up to 8/20 on the monthly quest. This might be kind of a regular thing, where I do the quests the first day after Sundaily. We can call it "Magicite Monday"!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Blargh. Now I don't know what to do going forward. Skip FF4 and FF6 banners and wait for fest banners? That means forgoing the broken ninja stuff forever, as it doesn't reoccur. Even if I pull on the Bartz fest banner, assuming there's such a thing, there's no EnEarth BSB, just the Knife and Water BSB. The bottom of the banner is Krile and Gogo, whose BSBs don't fix my total lack of fundamental SBs for FF5, and are bad and useless in their own rights.

Ugh, this has seriously ruined all my plans for the month, any chance to complete FF5 CMs going forward, and made me sick with misery. I have come to despise FF5, because of how awful it's been to me in this game.

Intellectually I have perspective on my relative fortunes previous to now, but no matter how many times down turns like this happen in this game, it always makes my stomach hurt super bad. Absence of misery is more valuable than prescence of joy. WTB variance correction.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Blargh. Now I don't know what to do going forward. Skip FF4 and FF6 banners and wait for fest banners? That means forgoing the broken ninja stuff forever, as it doesn't reoccur. Even if I pull on the Bartz fest banner, assuming there's such a thing, there's no EnEarth BSB, just the Knife and Water BSB. The bottom of the banner is Krile and Gogo, whose BSBs don't fix my total lack of fundamental SBs for FF5, and are bad and useless in their own rights.

Ugh, this has seriously ruined all my plans for the month, any chance to complete FF5 CMs going forward, and made me sick with misery. I have come to despise FF5, because of how awful it's been to me in this game.

Intellectually I have perspective on my relative fortunes previous to now, but no matter how many times down turns like this happen in this game, it always makes my stomach hurt super bad. Absence of misery is more valuable than prescence of joy. WTB variance correction.

The good stuff always comes back eventually, DeNa knows where the money comes from.

That Galuf SSB you just got is bad for general usage, and for the Torment CM specifically, but it's probably fine for doing the regular event CMs. High Regen is a huge boon to your ability to stay healed with just cure spells, and the crit boost in conjunction with RW Shout and honed 5* abilities should generally work for offense.

• Options
    I just want a Lightning Chain that isn't magic or stapled to a Dragoon.

Characters
  • Options
    Sylph (8 ST Wind magic, party h85 heal)
    Silver Dragon (5 AOE Wind magic, party Haste)
    Tiamat (5 AOE Wind magic, Wind Boost)

Wind Magicite continues to be pretty darn good.

• Options
    What are folks doing with excess 1 and 2* Magicite? Selling? Feeding to other Magicite?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    38 second clear on Sealion. I wonder if there's a way to tweak my team to get sub-30.

Current team is:

Terra @ Blood Sword+, Blaze Armlet: Chain Firaga, Wrath | Fire Beam, Scorching Flames | Ace Striker, Esperbond, Magitek Warrior
    Krile @ Fire Lash, Heart of Gold: Meltdown, Valigarmanda | Sheepsong | Mako Might
    Alphinaud: Shellga, Curaja | Deployment Tactics | Dr Mog's Teachings
    Tyro: Wrath, Entrust | Battleforged
    Larsa: Curada, Enveloping Etude | Lifecrystal | Gathering Storm

I wonder how I can chip off another few moments. My current battle flow has Terra using Wrath once, then Chain Firaga on herself, then another two Wraths before using Fire Beam and Scorching Flames. And one of her turns has her use Chain Firaga instead of Scorching Flames, due to lack of meter before Tyro can Entrust once more.

I wonder if Terra can still hit 99999 with OSB in Esper mode with only one MAG buff online. If that can work, then maybe I can swap Alphy for Onion (same skills), and exchange Krile for Locke (Steal Power, Lifesiphon, SSB, OSB, Mako Might)? I feel like one more early-battle OSB hit for 99999 could tip the timer in my favor. Or maybe all I need to do is have someone other than Tyro use Fabula Guardian.

Otherwise, I may have to wait until either Shelke's Legend Dive becomes available, or I can get my hand on Terra's USB, to use in place of Fire Beam.

Any thoughts?

Do you think I'll get horribly murdered if turn one is Onion using VOF and Larsa using Gathering Storm to quickcast Fabula Guardian, with nobody using Protectga or Shellga until turn 2?

Enlong on
  • Options
    Okay, time to put this game down. Just wasted 2 hours of my life for nothing because I didn't think to bring breaks for medal conditions for Odin++. Saw the time limit medal condition and my eyes must've rolled into my head as I tunnel-visioned the fastest kill team possible.

So incredibly livid with myself.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I wonder how I can chip off another few moments. My current battle flow has Terra using Wrath once, then Chain Firaga on herself, then another two Wraths before using Fire Beam and Scorching Flames. And one of her turns has her use Chain Firaga instead of Scorching Flames, due to lack of meter before Tyro can Entrust once more.

I wonder if Terra can still hit 99999 with OSB in Esper mode with only one MAG buff online. If that can work, then maybe I can swap Alphy for Onion (same skills), and exchange Krile for Locke (Steal Power, Lifesiphon, SSB, OSB, Mako Might)? I feel like one more early-battle OSB hit for 99999 could tip the timer in my favor. Or maybe all I need to do is have someone other than Tyro use Fabula Guardian.

Otherwise, I may have to wait until either Shelke's Legend Dive becomes available, or I can get my hand on Terra's USB, to use in place of Fire Beam.

Any thoughts?

Do you think I'll get horribly murdered if turn one is Onion using VOF and Larsa using Gathering Storm to quickcast Fabula Guardian, with nobody using Protectga or Shellga until turn 2?
    Terra gets +20% MAG in Esper Mode. My math shows that against Sea Lion with that and another 30%, with a 20% booster, no Imperil, and with 30% Fire RM you need 555~ MAG to cap OSB. With 30% weakness RM you need 540~ MAG to cap OSB. Either way in general you should probably avoid Ace Striker on your combat engine because you need the damage, though it's a little threshold dependent. Wrath to almost 2 bars, entruster should have 2 bars and change by then, then start trigger Esper Mode, start Fire Beam etc. I'm still not sure this will get you sub30 without Omen, though. Actually, because of fastcast, you might want to see if you can't reorient to get a second Entruster on the team instead.

Fabula by Turn 2 should be fine assuming resist accessories.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

Any thoughts?

Terra gets +20% MAG in Esper Mode. My math shows that against Sea Lion with that and another 30%, with a 20% booster, no Imperil, and with 30% Fire RM you need 555~ MAG to cap OSB. With 30% weakness RM you need 540~ MAG to cap OSB. Either way in general you should probably avoid Ace Striker on your combat engine because you need the damage, though it's a little threshold dependent. Wrath to almost 2 bars, entruster should have 2 bars and change by then, then start trigger Esper Mode, start Fire Beam etc. I'm still not sure this will get you sub30 without Omen, though. Actually, because of fastcast, you might want to see if you can't reorient to get a second Entruster on the team instead.

Oh, right. I should've mentioned this before, 'cause it's important. I'm using Mom Bomb magicite, to apply Imperil Fire.

• Options

Any thoughts?

Oh, right. I should've mentioned this before, 'cause it's important. I'm using Mom Bomb magicite, to apply Imperil Fire.
    In that case you need 500MAG with 30% Weakness. If you have 590MAG you can run Ace Striker instead. If you can't hit that but are trying for speed, consider putting Faith on someone.

Also some timing math...

Under fast cast:
    Scorching Beam - 1.65s ATB + 1.25s cast = 2.9s
    6 OSBs - same as above * 6 = 17.4s
    That means you have a 10s opening window to buff and generate SB before you don't go sub30 any more. That is just enough for 3 Wraths or 2 + some self-spell to trigger her Trance. It also probably means then that you need to have an opening entruster to have enough bars to even get started because she probably won't have enough solo.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Sea Lion sub 1 minute!

No idea how people get sub 30 seconds. Hoy.

Now to figure what to focus on next. Bismarck seems to be the obvious choice. Damned if I know how I'll get the damage low enough to master.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Alright. I'll give that plan a shot. Going to have to experiment to see if I'm better off with Locke or with some random second entruster with Mako Might. Also need to experiment with esper mode triggers. Chain Firaga won't quite do it with just the one boost.

Wait, it does work... oh right! I always used it after Mog's dance, but before DT.

Just realized that I have Raijin's Aura. That might be a good plan C, if the Locke and Entruster#2 plans don't work.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Bismarck super close to sub 1 minute, still losing 3 medals - 2 damage, 1 action.

Much more for weapon type RM is better than much more for element/weakness, right? Or do they applu/stack different ways?

• Options
    mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    Weapon, weakness and element +dmg is generally 30% in their best incarnation. I believe these all use the "much more" terminology.

The only RM that give more than that are the school-specific RM, such as Celes RM4.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    They stack in different and goofy ways. The numbers for those 3 are the same 30%, and the differences are marginal as I recall. As in, even with Cloud USB running there isn't a huge impact, but weakness is the best if you are always hitting a weakness. If you are using any non-elemental stuff the difference tends to favor weapon RM.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I meant better as in "damage applies to lifesiphon, too."

Just wanted to make sure there was no odd ways in which weakness damage counted more.

E: school ones apply to BSB commands, too, right?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Bismarck super close to sub 1 minute, still losing 3 medals - 2 damage, 1 action.

Much more for weapon type RM is better than much more for element/weakness, right? Or do they applu/stack different ways?
    It depends on the character involved but 30% weakness is generally superior to element or weapon because of the way RM/RD stacking works.

RM+RD for Element * RM+RD for Weapon * RM+RD for Weakness (if applicable) * RM+RD for School (if applicable) * Equipment+Aura * Weakness+Imperil

Most characters have Element, School, and/or Weapon in their dives, very few have Weakness. This means that RMs in the same category will sum with the RD bonuses instead of multiply. Multiplication is marginally more damage assuming same tier bonuses.

Lifesiphon damage against Magicite is generally trivial enough to not really matter IMO because their defenses are so high but you can check the gains/losses there for Lifesiphon vs the rest of the fight.

Weapon works fine if you didn't have any Weapon bonuses in that character's dive, though.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Did they change the time Dungeon Updates drop?

This discussion has been closed.