As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    If I could paint (muscular dystrophy), I would. I wish I could. Luckily, the wallet substitutes for my lack of skills.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, already ordered a few pieces. Friends have stuff that's basically from an Aquarium and it works...it works well, actually, but I want more variety. Their stuff basically amounts to hills and a Parthenon style ruin.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Chrysis wrote: »
    In other news, I'm having real trouble making a Thousand Sons list I'm happy with because there are too many things I want to include. I think I've found something that works for me, but this is with a self imposed "No FW" rule due to any semi-local players not really having access. I have several FW things I'd add, but no points to add them unless I go to 3000 points, which sucks. Why did everything have to be so appealing?

Beuing spoiled for choice is a good problem to have. One that Thousand Sons players have not had before. In the 5th edition softcover CSM book book version, I would have given my left arm for a dependable shooty Drednought variant. Now I'm a snob and have to choose between several options.

Speaking of which, I played a 2k game last night with my newly purchased Lord of Change-

2k, 6 cp

Detachment 1, Thousand Sons:
    Ahriman, Exalted Sorcerer, 20 Tzaangors in 2 units, 20 Rubrics in 2 units, 5 Scarab Occult Terminators, Helbrute with twin Laz and fist, Predator with autocannon and twin laz, Vindicator.

Detachment 2, Demons of Tzeentch:
    Lord of Change, 20 Pink Horrors in 2 units

I fought against Primaris Blood Angels including Dante, Mephiston, a Sanguinary Ancient with the Feel No Pain banner, a one-off Custodes Captain on one of their crazy jetbikes, Sanguinary Guard, a Leviathan dred, a Contemptor, Redemptor, some Inceptors, and a bunch of Intercessors.

We drew at 12 vp each, I was leading by about VP most of the game, then he got some big draws on the Tactical Deck. I sent a TON of damage down field, and lost track of how many wounds I did via magic, not counting Smite alone.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    If I could paint (muscular dystrophy), I would. I wish I could. Luckily, the wallet substitutes for my lack of skills.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, already ordered a few pieces. Friends have stuff that's basically from an Aquarium and it works...it works well, actually, but I want more variety. Their stuff basically amounts to hills and a Parthenon style ruin.

Bandua Wargames, Muse on Minis, Antenocities Workshop and 4 Grounds all do coloured terrain as well.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Thanks Redcoat!

Time to earn some bonuses at work....!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So 2 day tournament this weekend. Came 4th out of 26 players so I can’t complain.

I will though, dark reapers under Ynari is way too strong.

That said I came across some issues with my list getting too split and appearing in waves. As much as I like my Death Guard, playing in a competitive tournament like that I can’t justify not being chaos soup, especially after some experiences.

The store we were playing at (my local FLGS) had one of the Christmas AOS tzeentch boxes in stock, which has a lot of what I wanted and worked out a saving. Turns out converting karmic acolytes to tzaangors is really easy. There is enough spare heads and weapons in a box of 10 tzangors to convert 20 karic acolytes.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Necromunda seems prety cool, you guys.

Guilds!
    https://warhammer-community.com/2018/02/19/preview-guilds-necromunda/

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Guilders might actually be getting models eventually. I actually really like that they are fleshing out the world of Necromunda so much more, like naming more of the major Hives, detailing how the hives haven’t, technically, descended into utter anarchy yet (basically feudalism all the way down), developing the guild(s) a bit more, and so on.

What I want to know, though, is where is the train-themed transport guild? You know, the guys that run the major arterial goods transport tubes and all the people movers, escalators, elevators, and so on?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, Guilders might actually be getting models eventually. I actually really like that they are fleshing out the world of Necromunda so much more, like naming more of the major Hives, detailing how the hives haven’t, technically, descended into utter anarchy yet (basically feudalism all the way down), developing the guild(s) a bit more, and so on.

What I want to know, though, is where is the train-themed transport guild? You know, the guys that run the major arterial goods transport tubes and all the people movers, escalators, elevators, and so on?

I'm sure GW is chugging along with their development, taking it one step at a time, creating something with a low floor and high ceiling that will really move their product.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DWaRtuZU0AAeYCV.jpg
    DWaRtuZVAAARJYS.jpg

As yet unnamed Gang Leader, and Crazy Old Ahob, who loves harpoons and harpoon accessories

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Imagine my surprise to find rules for all the units in the Tyranids Start Collecting! box.

Like... unit rules IN the box.

Very cool.

• Options
    Thousand sons FAQ out. Nothing major except fire frenzy went from being HELBRUTE keyword to helbrute model like it is in every other codex.

I’ve already seen people online talking about taking a Tsons Detachment Just so they can have a double firing leviathan/dedero, and it’s like, obviously that wasn’t the intention, so good change.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Played a game today where my Dreadnought did 12 wounds to an Avatar of Khaine. Just walked up and punched him right in the dick.

I love Dreadnoughts.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok a dumb question can Craftworld autarch take a warp spider pack?
    In the Xenos 1 book it says yes in the craftworld book it makes no mention

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Ok a dumb question can Craftworld autarch take a warp spider pack?
    In the Xenos 1 book it says yes in the craftworld book it makes no mention

Page 6 of the desiger's commentary has a flowchart that shows the different interatcions of codex and index:
    https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

In short, yes you can still have an Autarch with the spider pack.

honovere on
  • Options
    The Index is a listing of every single model GW that has made rules for. The Codex is a listing of every single model that GW currently sells.

You can use any model or weapon that is in the Index for your army. If the model or weapon is in the Codex than you use the points cost from the Codex. If the model or weapon got a cost change in Chapter Approved than you use the points cost from Chapter Approved. An example:
    In the Index a Librarian in Terminator Armor is listed as having a Storm Bolter and a Force Stave. He can exchange his Storm Bolter for a Storm Shield or an item from the Terminator Combi-Weapons list.

In the Codex a Librarian in Terminator Armor is listed as having just a Force Stave, but he can also take a weapon from the Terminator Combi-Weapons list, with no mention of a Storm Shield.

Because the Storm Shield is in the Librarian Terminator's datasheet in the Index, I can take it on that model, but I have to use the updated points cost for it from the Codex, since it is newer book. If Storm Shields had a price adjustment in Chapter Approved than I would have to pay the points cost that was listed there instead of the Codex price. If Storm Shields were not listed in the Codex or Chapter Approved than I could use the Index price for them.

This means that you may run into a scenario where you have to reference three separate books to get an accurate point cost for a single unit, which is probably why Battlescribe is so popular. It's a really goofy system, but it's set up this way so that people who have older/unusual models or conversions (the Imperial Space Marine, Apothecary on a Bike, Rifleman Dreadnought) can still have rules to use those models in games, but GW doesn't have to add a bunch of datasheets to the new Codexes for models that they don't sell (or in some cases have never sold).

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I also feel like those Index-only models may at some point be phased out, right now they're being very cautious about "Yep, you can 100% keep playing with your current army, don't worry about it!" but once everyone has a codex that policy may change.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The weird part is that some armies do get units that don't have official models in their Codexes.

A little consistency would be nice.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    The weird part is that some armies do get units that don't have official models in their Codexes.

Especially annoying for all the armies that have easily switchable equipments due to being nearly all plastic that don'T even neead actuall conversions but just simple arm or weapon swaps. Some codexes aloow for that some don't.

We'll see how for example DE will handle this, an army with a range of kits that are designed to be universally interchangeable between kits.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I picked up a good amount of Nurgle stuff, so I was putting together a 1500 point Nurgle / Death Guard list for the next game here. I know y'all said Poxwalkers were better than Plaguebearers, but the idea is for variety, not necessarily super win rate etc....

...but due to the limitations on models I have, the eventual list ended up with 30 cultists, a Chaos Lord, three Plagueburst Crawlers, 6 Nurglings, 20+ plaguewalkers (I think 24ish), 3 Plague Drones, a Daemon Prince of Nurgle, a Soul Grinder (he looks cool af to me), and a Poxbearer (the herald dude).

I feel dirty over the PBCs.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    I picked up a good amount of Nurgle stuff, so I was putting together a 1500 point Nurgle / Death Guard list for the next game here. I know y'all said Poxwalkers were better than Plaguebearers, but the idea is for variety, not necessarily super win rate etc....

...but due to the limitations on models I have, the eventual list ended up with 30 cultists, a Chaos Lord, three Plagueburst Crawlers, 6 Nurglings, 20+ plaguewalkers (I think 24ish), 3 Plague Drones, a Daemon Prince of Nurgle, a Soul Grinder (he looks cool af to me), and a Poxbearer (the herald dude).

That’s not dirty.

Dirty is picking up a bunch of Tsons to play alongside them so you can deepstrike a wave of tzaangors to act as a first wave and a bunch of enlightened to keep pace and shoot alongside them.

I may or may not have done this.

Speaking of Tsons you can take a daemon prince with twin claws (7 attacks) wings, diabolic strength (+2 strength +1 attacks for 8 str9 -2 2 dmg attacks at 2+ reroll one to hits), warptime and the aetherstride Warlord trait (advance and charge) for a 24+2d6 movement killing machine.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

That’s not dirty.

Dirty is picking up a bunch of Tsons to play alongside them so you can deepstrike a wave of tzaangors to act as a first wave and a bunch of enlightened to keep pace and shoot alongside them.

I may or may not have done this.

Speaking of Tsons you can take a daemon prince with twin claws (7 attacks) wings, diabolic strength (+2 strength +1 attacks for 8 str9 -2 2 dmg attacks at 2+ reroll one to hits), warptime and the aetherstride Warlord trait (advance and charge) for a 24+2d6 movement killing machine.

My standard go to with my prince as slaanesh is claws (7 attacks), diabolic strength (+2 str, +1 attack), and intoxicating elixir (+1 str, +1 attack). Then the wound and fnp warlord trait. Sadly not as fast but you can keep a sorc near by easily for warptime.

That is a 12+2d6(charge range) monster that has 9 str 10 2 dmg -2 ap attacks with 9 wounds and a 6++ fnp on top of everything else. Princes in general are just really good. Though that one I do call my blender.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Makes me envious. All I did with a Death Guard Daemon Prince of Nurgle was give him Arch Contaminator and fly three Foetid Blight Drones around to reroll all of their wounds and have him charge in to mop up.

Yours sounds more evil.

• Options
    So Tson's FAQ is up. One big thing in there that I think affects CSM as well.
    Q: Can I replace the Smite psychic power when using the Chaos
    Familiar Stratagem?
    A: Yes.

That makes that 1 cp stratagem even more useful.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

I feel they want to push the current autarch the fusion pistol one with swooping hawk wings and the striking scorpion helm
    Aka this
    49o5q47vawzp.png

The Skyrunner autarch I feel is not on the market with the shining spears because they use the old Siam Hann style bike which I don't think they have made for years as when I quit playing they went to the black guardian one {I don't know the name of the current model}
    Way back when the venom came out and Autarches were a new option for HQ I wanted to make my warchief/autarch riding in a custom vyper but it would not work since I envisioned a fighting platform the venom had it just I had to not make it look like a dark eldar item

But in general I know some of those eldar models are older than some of the people on this forum

• Options
    The store anniversary Primaris Captain with plasma pistol/power fist is a pretty nice looking model, but I don't really like the Iron Halo that they gave him, so I'm thinking of replacing it with another Primaris power pack. I think I'm going to go with the bare head and hold on to the laurel helmet for some other special model in the future.

• Options
    Thousand sons FAQ out. Nothing major except fire frenzy went from being HELBRUTE keyword to helbrute model like it is in every other codex.

I’ve already seen people online talking about taking a Tsons Detachment Just so they can have a double firing leviathan/dedero, and it’s like, obviously that wasn’t the intention, so good change.

There was also an error with Bolt of Change, it's casting cost went from 9 to 8. I had to thought that was a bit steep.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Familiar Stratagem?

Hmmm! I just looked, and it seems like you can absolutely switch out Smite on a Rubric or Scarab Occult squad.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Familiar Stratagem?

Hmmm! I just looked, and it seems like you can absolutely switch out Smite on a Rubric or Scarab Occult squad.

Scarab occult’s might be the only good terminators in the game I feel. Largely because a unit with helfyre missiles, reaper cannon and storm bolters is an infantry killing machine with all its - ap and the ability to warptime itself.

Probably not better than 30 Tzaangors. But still if you wanna play terminators those are the ones to choose.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It looks like a kharadron overlord start collecting box is finally showing up. Always thought the models were rad, and kinda want to make a 40k army of counts-as squats out of them. Though with a range composed of a bunch of airships and shooty guys, it seems like the Dark Eldar index would be the best book to run them out of. Or maybe orks. Would an all-loota army in transports be at all viable?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    I got the Adeptus Custodes codex yesterday and well I want to get the ones out of the burning of prospero and see if they can live against a cult army

• Options
    edited February 2018
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Familiar Stratagem?

Scarab occult’s might be the only good terminators in the game I feel. Largely because a unit with helfyre missiles, reaper cannon and storm bolters is an infantry killing machine with all its - ap and the ability to warptime itself.

Probably not better than 30 Tzaangors. But still if you wanna play terminators those are the ones to choose.

Still think plasma slaanesh termis are perfectly fine and well worth their points in damage. The biggest issue is they do need some support.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad that's legal because I've been using chaos familiar to pick situational powers on Huron Blackheart. He can cast 2 while his parrot is still alive but only knows Smite + 1 other

• Options
    I'm glad that's legal because I've been using chaos familiar to pick situational powers on Huron Blackheart. He can cast 2 while his parrot is still alive but only knows Smite + 1 other

It’s really strong four thousand sons because you can also pay a CP to cast an additional spell.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    So I am finally getting in my game for the campaign this weekend it seems. I have been holding onto the list for it for like a month and I am excited to play. I am in a 2v1, 2k point game. So I have 2k points, they have two 1k point armies. My opponents are a primaris UM force and an inquisitorial force (GK+Tempestus).

This list I am planning on using just seems like it will be fun.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [20 PL, 313pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 93pts]: Combi-flamer, Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh

Sorcerer [6 PL, 100pts]: Combi-bolter, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience, Warptime

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [42 PL, 754pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic)

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 78pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh, Power maul, The Black Mace

Exalted Champion [5 PL, 82pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Plasma pistol, Power axe

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 92pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-bolter
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon

Noise Marines [6 PL, 121pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Doom siren, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines [6 PL, 121pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Doom siren, Sonic blaster

+ Elites +

Possessed [11 PL, 186pts]: Icon of Excess, Mark of Slaanesh, 8x Possessed

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [54 PL, 931pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord with Jump Pack [6 PL, 99pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh, Power sword

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 255pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power axe

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler [11 PL, 167pts]: Defiler scourge, Mark of Slaanesh, Reaper autocannon

Havocs [10 PL, 184pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
    . 4x Havoc w/ boltgun
    . Havoc w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 152pts]: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh

++ Total: [116 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScr

Possessed go in one rhino with the apostle+champ. Havocs in the other with the non-JP chaos lord. Termis and the jp lord are a drop in plasma squad. Sorc pulls up the rear helping buff the maulerfiend/defiler as they advance or if it seems better making sure the back line fire hits more. It has a good mix of armor, some big monsters, lots of plasma, and some good cc/tarpits.

Originally I had oblits instead of the termis and had everything based off of the number 6 but decided I rather have the termi drop squad. My plasma termis have won me many a game.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

So I was debating a buddy about the above as I do have two Leviathans on the way. Is that just for TSons / is it for all? You say in every other codex, but I don't remember how it's worded in every codex that would invalidate the Leviathans (specifically Death Guard for me).

• Options
    edited February 2018

So I was debating a buddy about the above as I do have two Leviathans on the way. Is that just for TSons / is it for all? You say in every other codex, but I don't remember how it's worded in every codex that would invalidate the Leviathans (specifically Death Guard for me).

All CSM codexes have the wording the way the FAQ is. Tsons was the only one who didn't if I remember right. I have to dig up my codex when I get home. It works with normal helbrutes but not like doderos and such.

Edit:

You can still use the DG chapter tactic as that is for keyword helbrute not the unit helbrute.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

All the other codexs were already like this, they state Helbrute (as in the model) not HELBRUTE (as in the keyword). Non all-caps means the actual data sheet name. Tsons had HELBRUTE keyword instead of the unit name, the opposite of the other two Chaos codexs.

• Options
    So Fire Frenzy does work on Leviathans?

• Options
    So Fire Frenzy does work on Leviathans?

No, it does not.

It works on just Helbrutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm okay with that. Feels like it would be crazy with it, anyways.

This discussion has been closed.