As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Wait, it costs CP for relics? I thought they were free. Let me go back to the rules.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Wait, it costs CP for relics? I thought they were free. Let me go back to the rules.

First one's free, IIRC.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

First one's free, IIRC.

First one is free.Second one is one point, third is 3 points.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    So GT results from this weekend are up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/16/the-grand-tournament-heat-1-the-roundup/

Top 2 are space marines, 2 chaos and 1 chaos daemons. 2 Imperial soup. 1 craftworld and 1 Ynnari. 1 Genestealer cult. And the majority of the top 15 are Guard. 5 guard in the top 15.

Though the highest rank was 6th. With SM, soup, and chaos all above them.

Still no Orks, Necrons, non-codex SM, or GK in the list. The winner was a UM list with Guillyman to no one's surprise.

Edit:

Reading the list it was a UM parking lot full of razorbacks and lascannons.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/16/the-grand-tournament-heat-1-the-roundup/

Top 2 are space marines, 2 chaos and 1 chaos daemons. 2 Imperial soup. 1 craftworld and 1 Ynnari. 1 Genestealer cult. And the majority of the top 15 are Guard. 5 guard in the top 15.

Still no Orks, Necrons, non-codex SM, or GK in the list. The winner was a UM list with Guillyman to no one's surprise.

Edit:

It was won by Lawrence from tabletop tactics, probably my favourite battlereports YouTube channel.

Also proof that being a competitive player doesn't mean being a dick. I like their channel the best because out of all the YouTube battlereports they seem like they are having the most fun by miles.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

Edit:

It was won by Lawrence from tabletop tactics, probably my favourite battlereports YouTube channel.

Also proof that being a competitive player doesn't mean being a dick. I like their channel the best because out of all the YouTube battlereports they seem like they are having the most fun by miles.

I love Lawrence and I am glad he won because he and the guys at TT seem cool.

Doesn't mean I don't get a bit of an eye roll with the UM parking lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Something to note; the Guard Codex had been out for a grand total of a week at this point.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Ulthwe
    https://warhammer-community.com/2017/10/17/craftworld-focus-ulthwe-oct-17gw-homepage-post-3/

Ulthwe specific:
    armywide 6+ feel no pain that doesn't stack.
    1cp to give Guardians +1 to hit.
    Eldrad cheaper

non specific:
    Guardians probably still at 8 points.
    1cp stratagem to give a guardian unit a 4+ inv. save for a shooting phase.
    Path of Command improved in a not specified way
    Mind War is back but now works only against characters

Not that exciting and I haven't seen anything so far that adresses the actual imbalances of the index list. Like wasn't Eldrad not already one of the better choices? Same as with the Ghostseer yesterday - those were already much better than warlock but got cheper while Warlocks don't?

edit: Also still the focus of Guardians as the mainstay of the army. I hope tomorrow we get some good news about Aspect Warriors.

honovere on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ve been working on an Iron Warriors contemptor dread and it’s making me want to use its color scheme for a ravenguard army, with glossy dark steel and chrome instead of the usual black and white.
    909966_sm-.jpeg

Also finally cobbled together this Lord of Skulls I got at a swap meet.
    909928_sm-Replacement%20Arm.jpeg
    I paid about 20% retail but it was horribly assembled and missing its entire dang left side. Still need to go over it with some green stuff to get the gaps, and probably put the whole thing on a knight base to reinforce the frame so it doesn’t collapse in on itself.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    That's a pretty nice metal colour.

Looking at the roumors for the other craftworlds.

Alaitoc: -1 to hit over 12" away
    Saim-Hann: ignore -1 to hit when moving with heavy weapons, reroll charges for jetbikes
    Biel-Tan: +1ld, reroll 1s with Shuriken weapon weapons.

Alaitoc is kinda expected. Personally I thin it doesn't fit the Craftworld as the only sneaky part in the background is the Rangers which formally aren't even part of the Craftworld's army. The Craftworld itself is zealously adherent to the path system.
    I have no idea about the Biel-Tan trait. It seems mostly useful for Guardian units. The only aspect that can get some use out of it is Dire Avenger. I guess someone saw the Biel-Tan armies are called Bahzhakhain, the Swordwind, and mixed it up with Bladestorm.

honovere on
  • Options
    So hearing more about the GT, the #2 was a Raven Guard army. Doesn't surprise me. I have been playing with at least one Alpha Legion detachment my last few games even if I don't get shot at a lot the infiltration stratagem alone is worth it. Infiltrating a plasma havoc squad is devastating.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Saim-Hann: ignore -1 to hit when moving with heavy weapons, reroll charges for jetbikes

Yes. I want this. Give this to me.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’ve been working on an Iron Warriors contemptor dread and it’s making me want to use its color scheme for a ravenguard army, with glossy dark steel and chrome instead of the usual black and white.
    909966_sm-.jpeg
    […]

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I figure almost every codex will have one group with the -1 to hit rule.

Which is a fantastic rule and I will continue to abuse it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I agree but what more is there?

I did not know my brother had a Bein Tann army he was building but abandoned because of the rigid command choices you had for Eldar back then
    So with the made to order he wants to see what autarch he can get since he kind of wants one of the older ones I have so I feel he might like what tomorrow brings

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

I agree but what more is there?

I did not know my brother had a Bein Tann army he was building but abandoned because of the rigid command choices you had for Eldar back then
    So with the made to order he wants to see what autarch he can get since he kind of wants one of the older ones I have so I feel he might like what tomorrow brings

Biel-Tan focus would be the fitting place to talk about the "improved" path of command.

Saim Hann is nice for all those 7th ed scatterbike armies.

At the moment I'm a bit disappointed that these traits all push Guardians and vehicles and do not much for Aspects.

Also because the Guard codex shows what is possible with the traits. They are much more interesting than the ther armies' traits, not the least because they distinguish between vehicles and infantry.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well would they talk about how Bein Tann was the place where Ynnari came into being?

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular

My only problem with the -1 to hit rules are that they get applied after rerolls. It feels very counter-intuitive, though I suppose once you get used to just stopping after rerolls to remove the penalty misses, you get used to it.

Statistically

3+ to hit is 66% to hit

3+ to hit with -1 penalty is 50%

3+ with reroll is 89% to hit

3+ with reroll and -1 penalty is 66% to hit

4+ with reroll (If we applied penalty before reroll) is 75% to hit.

The -1 penalty actually just negates a full reroll, which seems a little bit too strong to me when you consider how much it costs to get full rerolls in most context. It is definitely one of the strongest army wide special rules, atm. I'd say that and Ultramarines, though neither affects vehicles. If they did, SM/RG mech would be so painful.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options

My only problem with the -1 to hit rules are that they get applied after rerolls. It feels very counter-intuitive, though I suppose once you get used to just stopping after rerolls to remove the penalty misses, you get used to it.

Statistically

3+ to hit is 66% to hit

3+ to hit with -1 penalty is 50%

3+ with reroll is 89% to hit

3+ with reroll and -1 penalty is 66% to hit

4+ with reroll (If we applied penalty before reroll) is 75% to hit.

The -1 penalty actually just negates a full reroll, which seems a little bit too strong to me when you consider how much it costs to get full rerolls in most context. It is definitely one of the strongest army wide special rules, atm. I'd say that and Ultramarines, though neither affects vehicles. If they did, SM/RG mech would be so painful.

I think I have gotten to actually use it once in a few weeks. Grey Knights deep striking and gating to 9" negates my Alpha Legion a lot. Takes some real careful placement of my non-bubble wrap to keep that -1 and still be useful.

Also again, I am going to state Emperor's Children is a really good legion trait and really forces your enemy to make hard choices even if they charge you.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I can confirm @TraceofToxin is a good guy to play against.
    He’s an awful human being for reasons entirely unrelated to Warhammer

I know I'm late, but I just wanted to offer a second confirmation that @TraceofToxin is a fun guy to play games with/against but is otherwise terrible. Mostly because he won't come back for visits.

I haven't played any games with him. Except like X-Wing maybe?

But I can also confirm that he is just a garbage human being.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I like the Fists/Iron Warrior traits, if only because they let me skip that entire phase of arguing about what is cover, what kind of cover it is, and just what percentage of that vehicle is in the cover. That’s like another 30 minutes of precious life given back to me.

• Options
    I like the Fists/Iron Warrior traits, if only because they let me skip that entire phase of arguing about what is cover, what kind of cover it is, and just what percentage of that vehicle is in the cover. That’s like another 30 minutes of precious life given back to me.

Damn.

My discussion tends to be:
    1)If you have stuff in this area/on this and it is infantry it is cover.
    2)Vehicles that are in something and 50% obscure are covered.

I think usually about 5 minutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a source for an Inquisitorial seal that could be put on tanks or something? Like the brass etch stuff, or forge world doors, but just one you could slap on an already built but repurposed tank.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options

Damn.

My discussion tends to be:
    1)If you have stuff in this area/on this and it is infantry it is cover.
    2)Vehicles that are in something and 50% obscure are covered.

I think usually about 5 minutes.

This is what I do as well, but in most of my games it leads to the inevitable conclusion "Nothing gets any benefit from cover, ever".

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a source for an Inquisitorial seal that could be put on tanks or something? Like the brass etch stuff, or forge world doors, but just one you could slap on an already built but repurposed tank.

I remember forgeworld also having resin upgrade sets for inquisition vehicles.

Maybe there also some workable bits from the Grey Knight or Deathwatch plastic sets available?

• Options
    I’ve got a bunch of the flat Sisters of Battle fleur de lis symbols that went on the old 3rd ed rhinos doors. I’d imagine they had something similar for Inquisition rhinos too.

• Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    So I really don't understand why exactly I did this, so I started reading about 8th edition and theorycrafted the following list : adeptus militarum 1st turn assault. Is it remotely viable?

1500 points, 3 detachments. 1 x elysian air wind detachment. Everything else is in 2 Catachan vanguard detachments.
    valkyrie
    4xbullgryns

344 valkyrie
    9 crusaders
    nork deddog
    ministorum priest

300 vendetta
    straken
    ministorum prienst
    10x command squad laspistols & ccws, regimental standard, voxcaster

280 vendetta
    9 crusaders
    ministorum priest
    officer of the fleet

253 vendetta
    ministorum priest
    primaris psyker

Idea would be to use the elysian "Aerial drop ability" on the valkyries and vendettas to deploy them 9" from the enemy.

During first turn the transports would fly over the enemy, dropping troops using the "grav chute insertion" rule that allows them to place the troops somewhere on there 20" of movement path.

As I understand it in 8th edition units which are disembarked count as having moved, but can still assault? Hehehe. I'd then land on them with bullgryns / crusaders etc.
    Priests give +1 attack and rerolls to both crusaders and catachans. Catachans get +1 strength for being catachans. Straken gives +1 attack in a bubble to catchans. Ogryns are ugly enough without any of those buffs.

I imagine that even a humble ccw&laspistol command squad can lay the hurt out with 4 strength 4 attacks on the charge with rerolls on misses. Especially when "fix bayonets" means it can be done twice per round.
    Nork Deddog with the crusaders because I want him absorbing wounds from units that are harder to wound than he is.

Think it might be weak on anti-tank -- though I'd hope that the officer of the fleet and vendetta lascannons would be able to mostly sort my enemy antitank.

Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I beat my brother's 2000 point Death Guard army with my 2000 point Necron army. I think the only reason I won is because he focused really hard on my Night Scythe with his Defiler and he dropped his Terminators pretty far from my Warriors.

Also Necron Destroyers are still pretty awesome.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Chake99 wrote: »
    So I really don't understand why exactly I did this, so I started reading about 8th edition and theorycrafted the following list : adeptus militarum 1st turn assault. Is it remotely viable?

1500 points, 3 detachments. 1 x elysian air wind detachment. Everything else is in 2 Catachan vanguard detachments.
    valkyrie
    4xbullgryns

344 valkyrie
    9 crusaders
    nork deddog
    ministorum priest

300 vendetta
    straken
    ministorum prienst

280 vendetta
    9 crusaders
    ministorum priest
    officer of the fleet

253 vendetta
    ministorum priest
    primaris psyker

Idea would be to use the elysian "Aerial drop ability" on the valkyries and vendettas to deploy them 9" from the enemy.

During first turn the transports would fly over the enemy, dropping troops using the "grav chute insertion" rule that allows them to place the troops somewhere on there 20" of movement path.

As I understand it in 8th edition units which are disembarked count as having moved, but can still assault? Hehehe. I'd then land on them with bullgryns / crusaders etc.
    Priests give +1 attack and rerolls to both crusaders and catachans. Catachans get +1 strength for being catachans. Straken gives +1 attack in a bubble to catchans. Ogryns are ugly enough without any of those buffs.

I imagine that even a humble ccw&laspistol command squad can lay the hurt out with 4 strength 4 attacks on the charge with rerolls on misses. Especially when "fix bayonets" means it can be done twice per round.
    Nork Deddog with the crusaders because I want him absorbing wounds from units that are harder to wound than he is.

Think it might be weak on anti-tank -- though I'd hope that the officer of the fleet and vendetta lascannons would be able to mostly sort my enemy antitank.

I think the only vehicle that gets aerial drop is the taros, not the flyers. The wording is weird in the book but they kind of clear it up in the faq if I remember right. Its still kinda ambiguous but I don't expect much effort out of FW on non-30k/SM stuff these days.

Also the command squads are fixed at 4 guys, so cant take 10. Can do two squads of 8 unless I missed something in the new codex, don't have it in front of me now.

• Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    How do you think the list would do though?

It seems pretty clear to me that the valkyries do get the aerial drop by the rules as they are written.
    "There are a number of Astra Militarum datasheets that can be used
    by the Elysian Drop Troops – presented in the box on the left. Those
    that do replace the <REGIMENT> keyword on their datasheet in all
    instances with ELYSIAN DROP TROOPS."
    All ELYSIAN DROP TROOPS models gain the Aerial Drop
    ability

EDIT: ARG I'M WRONG VALKYRIES DON'T HAVE THE <REGIMENT> KEYWORD >.<

EDIT2: HAHA SAVED BY THE FAQ https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/40K_8th_ed_Update_Imperial_Armour_Index_Forces_of_the_Astra_Militarum_ver_1.0.pdf
    Page 71 – Elysian Drop Troops Army List
    Change the final sentence of the first paragraph to read:
    ‘Models that have the Aeronautica Imperialis
    keywords on their datasheets replace them in all
    instances with Elysian Drop Troops.’

And Valkyries do have the Aeronautica Imperialis keyword so they do gain Aerial Drop.

Even without that would it matter? How does the valkyrie move characteristic compare to the distance between deployments -- without the aerial drop how long does it take to get off assaults?

You're right command squad is only 4 models. There actually was a bit of slack in the points. Think it can be improved by more primaris psykers. They're hitting at s6 with 5 attacks and rerolls on the charge and -1 to armour with d3 damage so for 28 pts they seem like a bit of a steal. Still have like 65 points of spare in the list.

Fitting in a terminator inquisitor with power maul acolytes in another vendetta is also tempting, but there really isn't room for it.
    270 unit cost
    valkyrie
    bullgryns

344 valkyrie
    9 crusaders
    nork deddog
    ministorum priest

276 vendetta
    straken
    primaris psyker
    4x command squad laspistols & ccws, regimental standard, voxcaster,medkit
    4x command squad laspistols & ccws

280 vendetta
    9 crusaders
    ministorum priest
    officer of the fleet

264 vendetta
    ministorum priest
    2xprimaris psyker
    4x command squad laspistols & ccws, regimental standard, voxcaster,medkit
    4x command squad laspistols & ccws

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    Is the list for matched play? I think you need one officer per command squad.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I realized today that if I pick up two Venerable Chaplain Dreadnoughts from Forge World I could field a 2K battle forged army comprised entirely of 11 Dreadnoughts.

• Options
    The 8th edition codices generally go with a “no model, no rules” approach, right? There are some exception, Grandmaster Dreadknight, SM lieutenant, Exalted Champion, but that’S basically it, as far as I know.

I hope the Eldar codex doesn’t follow that example to closely. It would mean losing a lot of options for Autarchs and and some of the Exarch weapons. I know the Index entries would still be legal but I don’t know how that works for entries that get updated but reduced in options.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Chaos Lords still get all their options despite the only plastic PA mini being the static pose one from Dark Vengeance, so I think Autarchs will be ok.

Its the one thing everyone in this thread can 100% agree with.

Also I have a vague idea about coming to NOVA or something next year.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Chaos Lords still get all their options despite the only plastic PA mini being the static pose one from Dark Vengeance, so I think Autarchs will be ok.

Its the one thing everyone in this thread can 100% agree with.

Also I have a vague idea about coming to NOVA or something next year.

Do it. I plan to play in NOVA.

(Also my club does a bunch of stuff and I think some of them are doing the narrative stuff this year)

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm pretty sure the image with the path of command rules wasn't there when the Ulthwe preview was poste, but anyway Autarchs now give back CPs on a 6 as long as the Autarch is your Warlord. That's nice.

Biel Tan:
    https://warhammer-community.com/2017/10/18/craftworld-focus-biel-tangw-homepage-post-3/

The trait is not good, right? the leadership bonus is not that strong and is for aspect warriors only and the Shuriken bonus overlaps with path of command, and mainly helps guardian units plus Avengers.

The Avatar stratagem is pretty nice.
    Avengers are getting a much deserved point reduction. Also nice.

honovere on
  • Options
    So that pretty much confirms the leak, right?

• Options
    It does.

Question now is just if the move and fire heavy weapons is army wide (my bet) or bikes only.

Saim Hann also feels like the only trait that really reflects how the army is portrayed in the background.

The Biel Tan stratagem probably works best with infiltrating Scorpion. With it you only need a 7 to make the charge.

A little bit weird that the Biel-Tan trait makes Autarchs less effective for the army.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Honestly after the guard codex everything else seems kinda lazy.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It feels there like there are three tiers of codex releases at the moment.

Space marines and Death Guard are the traditional releases: Books with new kits etc.

Astra Militarum: No new kits but someone actually sat down and thought about rules and background and put some work in.

The rest: "We also have to get these out fast."

There might be a bit hyperbole in my statement.

honovere on
This discussion has been closed.