Options

Marvel! Makes kids comic with Arms Company, forgets Iron Man's origin story.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think they needed to decide whose legacy nadia was going to honor.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also Unstoppable Wasp always just felt real hollow to me

it was very gung-ho about being feminist and pro-women geniuses and even had an organization literally named G.I.R.L. founded in the book

and it was written by a dude

I do think Whitley probably is feminist and genuinely believes the direction of the book but it really, really smelt of Marvel chasing their Squirrel Girl or Moon Girl or Ms. Marvel success without realizing that giving the G.I.R.L. book to a dude writer is not a great look. Like, Squirrel Girl is also by a dude but it isn't putting out covers like this:
    503550._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    when Marvel had, like, maybe a half-dozen books written by women at the time.

Thank you Blank. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills every time somebody talks about Wasp. It's like the definition of "trying too hard".

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't blame that on the creative team, mostly

I 100% think that was an editorial idea to try and get more of that Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl money but it whiffed hard

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Boy Legacy is kind of a dud so far,
    Marvel should really do something exciting and original to shake things up. i9oc1zu4jhbz.jpg

Oh

A 12 issue OML prequel starring Hawkeye.

That's

Something

(Written by Ethan Sacks and art by Marco Chechetto)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I wish one of these days Marvel would make me feel like a Dummy.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Probably should've seen this marketing move coming a mile off, but yeah ok

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Apparently they're officially the Revengers in the movie

Which is funny because they're more like the classic Defenders

• Options
    I think the Revengers is a joke name Thor gives them

I saw a clip where she asks him what they should be called and he almost says Avengers but then stops for a moment and goes "...Revengers?"

Doubt it'll go much beyond that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hawkeye looks like a 30 year old with a white-blond beard on that cover

• Options
    Pretty gutsy to go with OML backstory considering that entire setting is built on a house of cards that falls apart the second you think about any of it

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    right now marvel feels like the forty year old hot topic manager retelling stories from their college days for the umpteenth time, but exaggerating details to make themselves seem cooler

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    That's

disturbingly specific

• Options
    it a very much a type of dude i've come across

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I have worked for that dude!

Except it was a lady

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The car on the cover is the default car in the Mad Max game, I'm pretty sure

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    WAIT NO I JUST NOTICED OLD LACE HAS FEATHERS NO NO NO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    8-)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hawkeye looks like a 30 year old with a white-blond beard on that cover

Yeah, and you usually can't shoot a compound bow with your fingers, you need a mechanical release

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Have they shown what Old Lace looks like in the show yet? I'm interested to see how that comes out

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
  • Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Have they shown what Old Lace looks like in the show yet? I'm interested to see how that comes out

Just make it Lockjaw again.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hey, The Gifted is pretty rad.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Hey, The Gifted is pretty rad.

Indeed!

I was quite impressed.

• Options
    the gifted is an x-men ass x-men show

i love it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Can someone articulate what exactly that means, as a person with no history with X-Men comics

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Can someone articulate what exactly that means, as a person with no history with X-Men comics

it is a show about how mutants are hated and feared and misunderstood by society, and the conflicts and tragedy that come out of that

also there are superpowers and sentinels

holy fuck their version of sentinel robots are fucking nightmares, jesus fucking christ

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

it is a show about how mutants are hated and feared and misunderstood by society, and the conflicts and tragedy that come out of that

holy fuck their version of sentinel robots are fucking nightmares, jesus fucking christ

Presumably it is also super soap opera.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

Presumably it is also super soap opera.

oh goodness yes

but in a good way!

i genuinely enjoyed the first episode like, immediately

• Options
    i don't trust a superhero show that ain't soapy as hell

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I'm just saying that X-Men is the pinnacle of that.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    That was a great first episode. At first the Strucker last name confused me and made me expect something about the dad. Nope. Wrong about that haha. I was confusing him with Stryker... which I don't think will be in this show?

• Options
    Armoroc wrote: »
    That was a great first episode. At first the Strucker last name confused me and made me expect something about the dad. Nope. Wrong about that haha. I was confusing him with Stryker... which I don't think will be in this show?

yeah i doubt it, given i think they want to avoid most characters from the movies and also the kind of confusion you just had coming up

• Options
    Strucker is the hydra guy.

• Options
    I imagine that "Andy Strucker" is probably some result of the byzantine Fox/Marvel contract that resulted in Andreas Von Strucker being part of the X-Men rights as he's technically a mutant, having been altered by Arnim Zola while in utero to have the X-gene, so he's just one of the long list of characters that are part of the X-Men licence that Fox wasn't planning to use for a X-Men movie that the producers of The Gifted were free to use how they saw fit.

Obviously they needed to make up the rest of his family as Fox wouldn't have the rights to Baron Von Strucker (who appears in Age of Ultron, in fact) or whatever, but that's what I figure happened.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Apparently the siblings in Gifted are
    Loosely based on Andrea and Andreas von Strucker from the comics, who are an odd choice to turn into hero protagonists, to say the least.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My understanding of the X-men is that Cyclops likes to yell "JEAAAAANNNN!"
    qEBq0tA.png

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    oh my god

i just realized it

it had been bugging me all episode

the actor playing Eclipse in The Gifted reminded me of someone and I couldn't put my finger on it

it's Oscar Isaac. He's like a TV budget Oscar Isaac

a Poe Man's Dameron?

....i'll show myself out

• Options
    Apparently the siblings in Gifted are
    Loosely based on Andrea and Andreas von Strucker from the comics, who are an odd choice to turn into hero protagonists, to say the least.
    They had a power similar to Northstar and Aurora, where they were stronger when touching. And then his sister died, and the brother took her dead skin and made a leather wrapping for his sword hilt while he was Swordsman.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Ok, so this is also comes to mind when I think of X-men

http://maxwittert.tumblr.com/tagged/jean-and-scott

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
This discussion has been closed.