As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Huge Hack of Equifax exposes ~140 million US customers' info

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that all of this "credit monitoring" that people are reporting sure didn't do anything to stop this data breach, now did it? What a ridiculous farce this whole thing is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah it's funny that they think the 4 or 6 years of credit monitoring is such a good deal. All these other hacks I usually got the compensation AND free credit monitoring.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    One of the options you could choose was essentially "nevermind, I don't want a check OR monitoring".

It wasn't super clear either...

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah it's funny that they think the 4 or 6 years of credit monitoring is such a good deal. All these other hacks I usually got the compensation AND free credit monitoring.

Maybe they should've thought about how shit their system was the other 8 times shit's been compromised to the point that I have several companies offering me free credit monitoring.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Maybe they should've thought about how shit their system was the other 8 times shit's been compromised to the point that I have several companies offering me free credit monitoring.

See that would require them to even give a shit if our stuff is stolen. How much money did they lose out of this? Almost nothing?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

See that would require them to even give a shit if our stuff is stolen. How much money did they lose out of this? Almost nothing?

They lost nothing. Their insurance company, now THAT is a different matter.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Equifax might have even made money if their insurance company has to compensate them for the “free monitoring” they have to do.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Equifax might have even made money if their insurance company has to compensate them for the “free monitoring” they have to do.

Don't forget that the "free monitoring" they are offering includes the right to sell the information of the people being monitored, so yes they are planning to profit from this.

I really don't want that part to be forgotten, the agreement you have to sign includes some pretty noxious clauses (including binding arbitration decided by their people).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have monitoring basically for life on identity and credit from the OPM breach and I used that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I have lifetime credit monitoring through my credit union. Equifax can fuck itself and pay me.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Got the email as well. Also validated my existing credit monitoring service (thank you, OPM hack) and still chose to keep the $125 payout option, not that I expect to see that much of it, if I ever see anything at all. Equifax should rightly be raked over the coals for this customer data hack.

Raiju on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'd really like to get $125, but I'd be ok with getting a check for $0.01 if that means that every $0.01 check that Equifax sends out costs them more than that in postage.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I finally got the email. I don’t think they’re actually validating what you type into the text box. Probably they’ll just deny your claim if they think what you wrote doesn’t count as credit monitoring.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even look into the people who bother to give the info. I suspect this is purely a way to weed out people who aren't following this.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Agreed. They're counting on people to ignore their email or just forget about validating the name of their existing credit monitoring service simply to deny more claims out of turn. Moving the goal posts, as it were.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even look into the people who bother to give the info. I suspect this is purely a way to weed out people who aren't following this.

And one of the signing check boxes was "I understand I may be asked to provide more information," so if this wasn't enough, I expect there will be another cull. Like, 'please provide your user name and password for your credit monitoring service.'

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    So if you freeze your credit, that is better than any monitoring anyone could provide.

But noticeably they don't allow that as a choice, you have to have some shitty monitoring service that will let you know AFTER someone has fucked you.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You can already freeze your credit for free, can't you?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm honestly shocked they're allowed to email people about this. I delete shit from email addresses I don't know. Especially ones with links to websites. Guess I won't be getting anything from this. Not that I was really expecting to.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm honestly shocked they're allowed to email people about this. I delete shit from email addresses I don't know. Especially ones with links to websites. Guess I won't be getting anything from this. Not that I was really expecting to.

They're emailing folks who signed up, from the domain where they signed up, which included saying they might contact you for more information. It is in no way unreasonable.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

Not necessarily. Depends on the state. In my state, there are fees.

Which is ridiculous that we have no control over the information Equifax collected and victimized us with. And now we still can't freeze/unfreeze for free, let alone opt out of being tracked. We need HIPAA for finance.

• Options

They're emailing folks who signed up, from the domain where they signed up, which included saying they might contact you for more information. It is in no way unreasonable.

I'd be more annoyed if I had to keep an eye out for a non-descript envelope.

Thinking about this a little more, they probably need to get the number of claims down below a certain level before it even makes fiscal sense to solicit verifiable information.

If they're looking at millions of ten cent payouts, it doesn't make sense to pay someone to spend even 5 minutes running each one down when all that means is that the ten cents will be redistributed amongst the other claimants.

• Options

I absolutely don't remember the email domain of an entity I had never contacted but once in my life several months ago.

• Options

I absolutely don't remember the email domain of an entity I had never contacted but once in my life several months ago.

You can still update your claim without the email, email just has your claim ID and link:

https://secure.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/amendclaim

That domain is the same one the email uses for future reference. Make them pay.

Alternative motivation: Failure to respond will opt you into their free data harvesting program for however long.

• Options
    Wait failure to respond doesn't just completely disqualify you, it moves you into the "free" data monitoring camp? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they desperately want people to take that option.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You can still update your claim without the email, email just has your claim ID and link:

Alternative motivation: Failure to respond will opt you into their free data harvesting program for however long.

apparently I lost my claim number =/

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Should be right there in the email. Copy and paste that over then you verify name and zip as I recall.

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Wait failure to respond doesn't just completely disqualify you, it moves you into the "free" data monitoring camp? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they desperately want people to take that option.

Unclear, but this implied to me that you will instead receive the standard "compensation" of free monitoring since, iirc, that was the default option you/we opted out of.
    Please note that you only have until October 15, 2019, to validate or amend your claim if you already filed one or your claim for the alternative compensation cash payment will be denied.

• Options

Should be right there in the email. Copy and paste that over then you verify name and zip as I recall.

I deleted the email because 1: I didn't remember the domain name for a few months ago or whenever, and 2: I've never had any legal items not sent through US Mail. Aside from the initial sign up I suppose.

• Options

https://contactus.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/contact

-> Secure Form -> What is my claim number?

• Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

I deleted the email because 1: I didn't remember the domain name for a few months ago or whenever, and 2: I've never had any legal items not sent through US Mail. Aside from the initial sign up I suppose.

Oh oops, missed the part about deleting. ArbitraryDescriptor to the rescue thankfully.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It's just throwing up any roadblocks it can. There's no verification for already having monitoring.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

Not necessarily. Depends on the state. In my state, there are fees.

Which is ridiculous that we have no control over the information Equifax collected and victimized us with. And now we still can't freeze/unfreeze for free, let alone opt out of being tracked. We need HIPAA for finance.

Hm. I could have sworn they removed all fees altogether after this big Equifax breach, but I'm wrong. You can thank your State representatives for taking the "donations" from the credit monitoring companies and credit card companies.

FWIW, it's 100% worth paying the fees to freeze.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Oh shoot, I hadn't sent my verification yet. When's that due by?

Otherwise, you're welcome for my three cents getting divided amongst everyone.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    This thread reminded me to check up on my claim and lo, gmail can't find anything with the search string Equifax. Dammit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think it's middle of october

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Oct 15th.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Finally got my stuff confirmed through the employer identity monitoring and boy what a farce this whole thing is.

I am in the business of saving lives.