As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IT] Chapter 2 Out Now!! (Closed Spoilers for now)

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Fukanaga script sounds significantly better in almost every way, including addressing the racial history, giving Mike's parents a voice, improving the lair, and not doing all that sexist bullshit to Beverly. It's a real shame they lowered the budget and drove him away, as he's a better director than the one we got to boot--and they needn't have worried, since It made bank and the sequel should do very well.

I dunno. For starters, it was never obvious this film would make bank. From the word go, it was being treated with more skepticism than Dark Tower, and up until initial reviews came in i think a lot of people had written it off. "Coming of age horror movie about an evil clown" is not a slam dunk.

As well, I'm hesitant to say what would have made for a better film based on a screenplay. What works on paper doesn't always work on film, budgetary issues aside, and I'm just going to be content with the very good movie we got rather than pine for the great movie that hypothetically might have been. The idea of "fleshing out more characters and also addressing racism in a nuanced, thoughtful manner" sounds fine, but it could also have been "expand an already huge cast past the point of manageability and tack on a hamfisted message about race."

It was the most viewed movie trailer ever in it's first few days online - beating Fate of the Furious. I don't think there was ever any doubt it was going to be a massive success.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Also, a large part of the movie's success is that it not only had zero competition opening weekend, but the previous two or three weeks had been pretty bare as well. The next decent movie with any kind of draw was going to do very well, no matter what it was. (But a better movie would have done better and bumped the sequel too.)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Also, a large part of the movie's success is that it not only had zero competition opening weekend, but the previous two or three weeks had been pretty bare as well. The next decent movie with any kind of draw was going to do very well, no matter what it was. (But a better movie would have done better and bumped the sequel too.)

I think it is arguably the defining word-of-mouth cult movie of millennial childhoods, too.

Like until this remake appeared I don't think I've ever seen IT discussed as a piece of media anywhere, conversely I don't know a single person my own age who a) hasn't seen it and b) doesn't consider it the single scariest thing from their childhoods.

I actually work for the company that originally aired IT in the U.K. back in 1990, and after this remake was announced it was one of the highest engagement "triggers" for social media discussion amongst 25-40 year olds on our various channels.

It was a quiet phenomenon, really.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    They need to get Seth Greene to be grown up Richie

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Saw this film today. Overall I really enjoyed it.

I found child actors and their characters to be really great. Most of the time in movies I usually cringe at their presence, so this is a huge plus for me.

Pennywise was genuinely creepy and I was on edge throughout the first half of the film. I felt once horror started losing it's punch though in the second half due to
    the kids being able to fight off Pennywise on several occasions.

I also thought Billy was going to overcome his fear of Pennywise by replacing it with hatred. That "real enough for Georgie" scene had me expecting Billy to attack at him on his own.

Also regarding the floating victims, were they all dead or were some like Beverley and regained consciousness after Pennywise was defeated?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The boat was the one thing that struck me as a little anachronistic. It's just so wholesomely '50s. It's probably the iconic scene from the book (Certainly the mini-series) so it had to be done, but in 1988 I was a little older than Georgie and boats sealed with paraffin wax? Not in my bailiwick.
    Meanwhile in the 90s, me and my friends were always making paper boats to float and race down the drainage creek in front of our houses. Knowing how to seal them in parafin to make them more durable would've b
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The Fukanaga script sounds significantly better in almost every way, including addressing the racial history, giving Mike's parents a voice, improving the lair, and not doing all that sexist bullshit to Beverly. It's a real shame they lowered the budget and drove him away, as he's a better director than the one we got to boot--and they needn't have worried, since It made bank and the sequel should do very well.

I dunno. For starters, it was never obvious this film would make bank. From the word go, it was being treated with more skepticism than Dark Tower, and up until initial reviews came in i think a lot of people had written it off. "Coming of age horror movie about an evil clown" is not a slam dunk.

As well, I'm hesitant to say what would have made for a better film based on a screenplay. What works on paper doesn't always work on film, budgetary issues aside, and I'm just going to be content with the very good movie we got rather than pine for the great movie that hypothetically might have been. The idea of "fleshing out more characters and also addressing racism in a nuanced, thoughtful manner" sounds fine, but it could also have been "expand an already huge cast past the point of manageability and tack on a hamfisted message about race."

Whenever you ask yourself, 'my god, this script is awful! How did it ever get made?!?' remember, that scripts always read better, because you have your imagination filling in the gaps. You don't account for poor directing choices, the actors flubbing a scene, or anything else that makes a final movie awful.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Definitely.

There was an article where they asked the actors who they think should play the characters as adults. They came up with:

Richie: Bill Hader
    Bev: Jessica Chastain
    Mike: Chadwick Boseman
    Eddie: Jake Gyllenhaal
    Stan: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Ben: Chris Pratt

[Bill's Jaeden Lieberher wasn't there to offer a pick.]

Which is a neat group. I like Chris Pratt a lot for Ben, would personally go with Amy Addams over Jessica Chastain, and feel JGL would be wasted as Stan (and he's a little young, though late 30s to early 50s is easily fudgable on screen).

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping for a true sequel to the book.

With Pennywise's brother, Poundfoolish.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

Definitely.

There was an article where they asked the actors who they think should play the characters as adults. They came up with:

Which is a neat group. I like Chris Pratt a lot for Ben, would personally go with Amy Addams over Jessica Chastain, and feel JGL would be wasted as Stan (and he's a little young, though late 30s to early 50s is easily fudgable on screen).

The characters are fourteen-ish in 1989. That makes them eight years older than me (I was Georgie's six in '89).

They'd be in their early forties right now, 47 or so in 2020.

I just woke up, no judging.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I'm sure Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    would be down for the 20 minutes of filming his role would require.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    And speaking of Bill, I kind of hate him in the book as an obvious author insert annoying character who everyone idolizes to a RIDICULOUS degree. They actually did better in the movie making him a brave, admirable kid who was nevertheless capable of making mistakes and being doubted.

The book addresses that specifically in a way that would be cool to see in the sequel,
    The Other is working through Bill and has chosen him to lead, much like Henry Bowers was chosen by It to lead the bullies. They don't doubt him because he basically has the power of a god working through him. One interesting element of the book that King uses as a subtext is the concept that The Other might not be a pure good being and is using the losers much like Pennywise uses people, though I think the ended makes a that unambiguous.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Actually, the previously planned version of the movie would have had a higher budget, meaning if it had the exact same ticket sales it would have done worse. You saying it would have just "done better" is pure fantasy though. It's not like the previous director was such a known entity that his name alone would have doubled the box office.

• Options
    Quality isn't the end all be all of box office (more's the pity), but I'm convinced it often inspires increased returns on a project whose main success is built on other factors. I think the original director would have made a better film, audiences would have responded a little more than they did, and the sequel would be in a little bit better position.

Of course this is all just speculation.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Whenever you ask yourself, 'my god, this script is awful! How did it ever get made?!?' remember, that scripts always read better, because you have your imagination filling in the gaps. You don't account for poor directing choices, the actors flubbing a scene, or anything else that makes a final movie awful.

Not to mention the shooting script isn't necessarily what get's on screen. Plus, they have a writer on set rewriting scenes.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Definitely.

The characters are fourteen-ish in 1989. That makes them eight years older than me (I was Georgie's six in '89).

True, but Hollywood isn't that strict on adhering to realistic looking casts. Or they just pretend they're that age, and cast them regardless.

• Options
    Quality isn't the end all be all of box office (more's the pity), but I'm convinced it often inspires increased returns on a project whose main success is built on other factors. I think the original director would have made a better film, audiences would have responded a little more than they did, and the sequel would be in a little bit better position.

It's impossible to tell, it's also likely the movie may have failed.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Stephen King should remake The IT Crowd integrating the themes and styles of this film/book.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Stephen King should remake The IT Crowd integrating the themes and styles of this film/book.

https://youtu.be/1u5jO57eD-U

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

https://youtu.be/1u5jO57eD-U

Bahahahah that's great. I'll watch the whole thing when I wake up (2AM and can't find my headphones) but I get the gist without sound.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I think that speculating a film that's already a smash hit with a solid critical and audience reception would have been *even more* successful is a hard sell. And while I agree that some of the changes in the other script make it seem better, I also think that a different actor for IT and a much more schlocky firework fight replacing the rock fight sounds worse and that critical/thematic winners like making racism more explicit wouldn't have necessarily resulted in significant box office shift. Like, a better movie doesn't guarantee massively more ticket sales.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

I think that speculating a film that's already a smash hit with a solid critical and audience reception would have been *even more* successful is a hard sell. And while I agree that some of the changes in the other script make it seem better, I also think that a different actor for IT and a much more schlocky firework fight replacing the rock fight sounds worse and that critical/thematic winners like making racism more explicit wouldn't have necessarily resulted in significant box office shift. Like, a better movie doesn't guarantee massively more ticket sales.

Might have effected the audience reaction, that subject is really easy to piss people off with.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Definitely.

True, but Hollywood isn't that strict on adhering to realistic looking casts. Or they just pretend they're that age, and cast them regardless.

Yeah, I'm sayin.

I'd buy almost all of those actors as ten years older than me, no problem.

Like, put me next to any of them, on a non-hungover day, and any of them look convincingly Definitely Older than me.

Except for Chastain maybe and Boseman definitely. Chadwick and I got that black magic.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I definitely would have preferred to see Cary Fukunaga directing a version of the film that eschewed a lot of the gross sex stuff they added in for Beverly and tried to give the film some kind of thematic purpose.

The film we got is kinda awful outside of the amazing work from the child actors.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    All of that gross sex stuff is in the book too. I don't understand how changing it makes for a better movie.

Calling the film awful outside of the kid's roles is pants on heads out there.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I don't know if the film was awful.

I don't think it is as memorable as the 1990 miniseries, though.

One thing the miniseries really had going for it over this new version (besides Tim Curry) was the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREjhHFvZgQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZUKLbhhOwo

• Options
    All of that gross sex stuff is in the book too. I don't understand how changing it makes for a better movie.

I've laid out my reasons. An attractively-shot, well-acted film can still not be a good film.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I thought IT was great. Not perfect, but great none the less.
    Really funny too.

The Beverly stuff was uncomfortable, but a far cry better than the book so....I actually like the movie resolution better.

Best line of 2017 so far:
    "and now, i'm going to have to kill this fucking clown" was amazing. I dont usually say anything in a theater, and things have to be REALLY funny to get me to laugh audibly, but THAT LINE got a "HA! FUCK YEA!
    to just suddenly escape from my mouth. It was perfectly timed, well acted, and unexpected. Yet, i feel like it was earned. That moment made the whole movie worth while to me.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

I've laid out my reasons. An attractively-shot, well-acted film can still not be a good film.

True, but you seem to have the minority opinion that this movie falls into that category.

• Options

True, but you seem to have the minority opinion that this movie falls into that category.

it's a state I'm used to :razz:

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't understand the "gross sex stuff" complaint. It's a movie about all the stuff a town ignores that terrifies and harms children. What happens to Beverly is terrible, hard to watch, and common. It's not gratuitous, it's part of the theme.

• Options
    I don't understand the "gross sex stuff" complaint. It's a movie about all the stuff a town ignores that terrifies and harms children. What happens to Beverly is terrible, hard to watch, and common. It's not gratuitous, it's part of the theme.

I'm talking mostly about the non-book stuff the film added in, plus removing her agency by making her a damsel in distress at the end

• Options
    I don't think it's a bad film, but it could have been a lot better pretty easily.

Also the Beverly stuff bothers me a lot. It seems pretty unnecessary too--they had a reason to go down there (fight the clown, find Georgie) and Bowers could have chased them in, just like in the book. They didn't need to damsel her and make her some kind of fairy tale princess. Especially given that she's their best fighter in the novel.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I think it was an understanding alternative to what happens in the book. That would have been uncomfortable.
    Not a huge fan of the damsel in distress either but, compared to what i was dreading during the whole movie i was relieved when that was all that happened.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I loved this movie.

My expectations being ridiculously low after that fucking abortion of a Gunslinger adaptation helped, but even without that, this was a damn good film. I was suprised how much I liked Bill Skarsgard in this. He's such a good blend of funny and awful and cunning and pure Stephen King villainous dickishness.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options

I'm talking mostly about the non-book stuff the film added in, plus removing her agency by making her a damsel in distress at the end

That was the only part I wasn't a fan of.

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I think it was an understanding alternative to what happens in the book. That would have been uncomfortable.
    Not a huge fan of the damsel in distress either but, compared to what i was dreading during the whole movie i was relieved when that was all that happened.
    Except the one doesn't replace the other. The sex scene happens after they fight It. Beverly getting damsel'd is the script's way of getting them to the fight.

The original script replaced the scene you mentioned with Beverly talking to the boys, which seems like a nice way to do that.

It would have also helped give the Losers a last moment of connection before the vow dissolves their group.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Except the one doesn't replace the other. The sex scene happens after they fight It. Beverly getting damsel'd is the script's way of getting them to the fight.

The original script replaced the scene you mentioned with Beverly talking to the boys, which seems like a nice way to do that.

It would have also helped give the Losers a last moment of connection before the vow dissolves their group.

Did it?
    huh. I guess its been longer than i thought since i read the book.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

A lot of your reasons don't really make a lot of sense outside of personal preference though. I can appreciate that you didn't like the movie but to say it's a bad film is a bit odd.

Also, I don't see how a person can say they'd have preferred the original Fukunaga film plan when the movie was never made to even be judged.

Again, you not liking the film is 100% fine. To say it's a bad movie is somewhat disingenuous.

• Options

A lot of your reasons don't really make a lot of sense outside of personal preference though. I can appreciate that you didn't like the movie but to say it's a bad film is a bit odd.

Also, I don't see how a person can say they'd have preferred the original Fukunaga film plan when the movie was never made to even be judged.

Again, you not liking the film is 100% fine. To say it's a bad movie is somewhat disingenuous.

"Preferred to see" and "preferred" are not the same thing

And I think that no matter how great a movie looks or some of the performances are, if a film doesn't have a cohesive narrative or adhere to any semblance of logic while indulging in worn-out cliches and misogynistic tropes, I'm gonna call those things out and label it a failure.

I wasn't scared or delighted, I was bored and annoyed.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Wasn't the damsel in distress
    used with a different character in the book?
    I'm currently reading IT again after so many years, so I'm a bit iffy on the details.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!