As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Back in the 90's I was in a very famous TV show [BoJack Horseman]

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Social Entropy++
BoJack-titlecard-588px.jpg
Back in the 90's I was in a very famous TV show
I'm BoJack the horse (BoJack)
BoJack the horse
Don't act like you don't know

And I'm trying to hold on to my past
It's been so long I don't think I'm gonna last
I guess I'll just try and make you understand
That I'm more horse than a man
Or I'm more man than a horse
BoJack

The latest season just came out and y'all know the score. Is it impossibly sad? You fuckin' know it. Is it also really caring and clever and great? You better believe it.

So come on in and have some fun.

For those just getting into the show, get ready for some grad-a, weaponized sadness.

With that in mind, lets maybe keep the big heavy/twisty stuff from this current season under spoilers, but the last three seasons are open for all.

Besides that the only thing I can really think to say is... Suck a dick, dumb shits!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
Zonugal on

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Thoughts and prayers.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hooray Bojack thread!

I love over the seasons how they've developed Todd from the wacky Kramer/Joey character to one with some surprising depth and compassion. Todd bounces around a lot, but the man has his heart in the right place, maybe more-so than any other character.

Season 4 Todd Spoilers!
    I loved the Todd episode. Especially the sympthony bit at the end, with the conductor smiling and nodding. Also I'm really interested to see where the relationship with him and the better business lady go.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the orchestra's legends of todd are still my favorite todd thing

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Episode eleven of this season is maybe the first show to ever make me have to go get a drink.

I was so utterly destroyed by it.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I love love love the animation on Bojack's inner-thoughts.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Episode 11 was rough, yikes. 2x11 is still the toughest one I've seen.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hey guys. Bojack has a sick soundtrack. Which is your favorite ending credits song? Lots to choose from.

My personal fave is the one from the last episode of Season 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

It follows one of the Top 5 powerful moments in the series. "You just have to do it everyday." Like, damn. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

balerbower on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Episode eleven of this season is maybe the first show to ever make me have to go get a drink.

I was so utterly destroyed by it.

man

so so good, what a great show

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    i loved the "horse with no name" cover from this season

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

The only thing that I didn't like was that they burned it so early in the season

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The moment they used it on was pretty perfect though

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »

The only thing that I didn't like was that they burned it so early in the season

i know that sad horse covers are the thing for bojack finales, but all of season four had a deliberate "after the finale" feeling, so using it so soon was kinda perfect

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    Hey guys. Bojack has a sick soundtrack. Which is your favorite ending credits song? Lots to choose from.

My personal fave is the one from the last episode of Season 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

It follows one of the Top 5 powerful moments in the series. "You just have to do it everyday." Like, damn. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Not a week goes by without a new Courtney Barnett track popping up on my discover weekly playlist on Spotify.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Season 4 Episode 6
    When Hollyhock asks Bojack what he does all day, and his reply is that he just drives around, loiters in scenic areas, and drinks at the bar, that hit me hard. About six years ago, I went through a super rough and long period of depression, and that is exactly what I did almost everyday. Woof.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Vincent Adultman for best normal adult male character.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Honestly though... How the fuck has Will Arnett not won all of the Emmy's for his voice work?

Everyone is fantastic on this show but he is perfect. His voice sells every moment and emotion of BoJack beautifully.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Honestly though... How the fuck has Will Arnett not won all of the Emmy's for his voice work?

Everyone is fantastic on this show but he is perfect. His voice sells every moment and emotion of BoJack beautifully.

What are YOU doinnggg here!

On the music front the one Teagen and Sara song (physical? Forget title) is a good one too.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    last ep
    really liked how it ended on a positive note for bojack, he needed it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

What are YOU doinnggg here!

On the music front the one Teagen and Sara song (physical? Forget title) is a good one too.

Closer's the song. Got me to look up the album and get really into their stuff.

No I don't.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Todd
    I love how, although they mined comedy out of Todd learning about asexuality, being asexual itself was never treated as a joke and the show ended up actually being pretty informative on the subject. I'm actually legitimately looking forward to them potentially exploring an asexual relationship next season

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Stupid computer being broken is preventing me from watching this latest season.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Stupid computer being broken is preventing me from watching this latest season.

Got a 3DS?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    On episode 5 of the newest season. I'll probably finish with season 6 tonight then maybe watch the rest tomorrow.

Pretty good so far! The daughter storyline seems...like it's gonna get bad...

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What I also really like is how they portray relationship troubles between Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter

For a character who is generally a giant doofus who is named "Mr. Peanutbutter," I always love when they give him moments to be insightful

Neither of them are ever plainly the bad guy and neither are totally innocent

Paul F. Tompkins and Alison Brie play their scenes together so so well, PFT especially is such a surprise when he nails the dramatic moments

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Holy crap this season. Finale spoilers:
    I love love love that the animation in Bojack's story of Doing The Right Things for Hollyhock was the same as the depression inner monologue. It's like.. he did it not only for Hollyhock but it was also self care and affirmation for him that he can be OK. That and it ends on a such a nice smile.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    That sequence near the end of S4E2 was so well put together, it worked so perfectly.

• Options
    I wish I had a kind angel played by Jose Canseco to help me out of jams.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

I really enjoy stylistic stuff like this. They could have easily done it in the same animation style as the rest of the show and I wouldn't have batted an eye, but by changing it up they got some really cool extra stuff out there.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I really enjoy stylistic stuff like this. They could have easily done it in the same animation style as the rest of the show and I wouldn't have batted an eye, but by changing it up they got some really cool extra stuff out there.

It's a real sign of how strong the team is that not only are they willing to experiment with stuff a lot, but pretty much every one of those experiments has paid off. They aren't just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks, they actually know what they want to do with all the stylistic stuff.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    Season 4 Episode 6
    When Hollyhock asks Bojack what he does all day, and his reply is that he just drives around, loiters in scenic areas, and drinks at the bar, that hit me hard. About six years ago, I went through a super rough and long period of depression, and that is exactly what I did almost everyday. Woof.
    Yup, likewise. I'd call out of work on the drive there and pick a random exit and drive until I got to dead end roads and just park for a bit.

One time a dude showed up at my window when I was doing this - he lived in the house across the street from where I was. I'd fallen asleep, and he knocked on my window. He explained to me that he had recently kicked his heroin addiction (and he assumed that I was in the same place he used to be). He handed me a full mug of coffee and a little package of Ritz peanut butter sandwiches and told me it would get better, and then he went back to his house.

It's a moment I think about a lot.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

It's a real sign of how strong the team is that not only are they willing to experiment with stuff a lot, but pretty much every one of those experiments has paid off. They aren't just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks, they actually know what they want to do with all the stylistic stuff.

While I was in Seattle we went to a pizza place where they were watching bojack, which was a hell of a thing to see. I didn't pay attention since I'm not caught up, but I did notice a Sorkin style hallway walk and talk and immediately became interested because that must've been absolute hell to animate.

rhylith on
  • Options
    BoJack's version of the California flag is amazing.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    BoJack's version of the California flag is amazing.

When they first showed the first glimpses of the flag, I was wondering exactly how they're going to depict the grizzly on it, and was not disappointed.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It really bothered me that there wasn't a single mention of the fate of Ethan Around.

I'd probably say this is my least favorite of the seasons so far. It's a bit too cerebral and obtuse for my tastes, but it was still damn good.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It really bothered me that there wasn't a single mention of the fate of Ethan Around.

I'd probably say this is my least favorite of the seasons so far. It's a bit too cerebral and obtuse for my tastes, but it was still damn good.

See you say cerebral and obtuse but
    there was a running gag in which an overly-serious politician's hands got crushed and he had to get ridiculous replacements.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

See you say cerebral and obtuse but there was a running gag in which an overly-serious politician's hands got crushed and he had to get ridiculous replacements.

I'm referring to Beatrice's ramblings. It's initially seems like she's just talking out of her head but once the big reveal happens everything takes on a new meaning and you have to practically rewatch the entire season to catch all of it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    man, I'd spoiler tag that

• Options
    Whoops yeah sorry, forgot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    man, I'd spoiler tag that

I chose my wording carefully so I wouldn't need to.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

While I was in Seattle we went to a pizza place where they were watching bojack, which was a hell of a thing to see. I didn't pay attention since I'm not caught up, but I did notice a Sorkin style hallway walk and talk and immediately became interested because that must've been absolute hell to animate.

it wouldn't be all that hard, depending on how many corners you're willing to cut

like, the characters are going to be the same relative size in the frame throughout the whole shot, so you can still animate them separately from the moving hallway, and you can set the shot up so you don't have to see their feet

but obviously yeah it could be a huge pain if you decide to knock the lamp