As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Danganronpa V3: Back to School!

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    The DR3 dub was good, they brought in most of the game's VAs

Off the top of my head the ones they couldn't get were Junko and Gundham

They also had some real fun with the scriptwriting, which you will either love or hate depending on how strict you want your localizations to be

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I've already seen clips and I noticed they kept Junko's atrocious voice from the old dub, and didn't bother localizing things like "super high school level" into "ultimate" so it's making me pretty worried.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So I was listening to some jammin' tunes from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI93nWonug8

And then I saw the worst comment ever
    Chapter 5 Investigation
    xzbhkf09h52o.png

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Just got into Chapter 4’s Closing Arguments:
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This. Effing. Game. I swear I shouldn’t hang out with anyone, since if I put any Free Time into them, that guarantees that they’ll be dead. First it was Kaede/Shuichi, then after chapter 1 I moved over to Kirumi, and... well. And then I windmill-slammed Miu to actually get someone to 5*, right before... well, this chapter happened.

I really want Monokuma’s off-handed remark about a tie to come up and send Kokichi to hell too.

I am *slightly* concerned about that gap in the log file, though.

Actually, something interesting I noticed is to pay attention to the vote results. Depending on the perp, they might actually toss a fuck-you vote you way. They’re not always unanimous.

I wonder if this might come up as a mechanic later.

I also sort of feel bad now giving Tenko shit earlier. She definitely started to turn it around near the end, and she’s okay in my books.

EDIT:
    Huh, interesting. I may have slammed Kokichi as my vote for Case 4, and the game... actually accepted it as a vote. The majority was still on Gonta, though... and apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so since he got 2 votes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Case 4
    Yep, you can vote for whoever you'd like and it will show up on the board, I voted for Korekiyo in case 1
    just because I could

Also I saw some cosplayers at a convention this weekend. Ran into a Mikan at a diner which was... Real life DR2 chapter 2 I suppose.

• Options
    Case 4
    Yep, you can vote for whoever you'd like and it will show up on the board, I voted for Korekiyo in case 1
    just because I could

Also I saw some cosplayers at a convention this weekend. Ran into a Mikan at a diner which was... Real life DR2 chapter 2 I suppose.

I don't remember Mikan being at the diner in the game.

• Options
    I thought she was

Maybe my memory is bad

Dammit I blew the joke

• Options
    Chapter 5:
    Well, things just happened.

Starting the investigation, and I think I've hit everything in the hanger and bathroom, but the game won't let me leave? Is there something easy to miss?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I got stuck there too
    investigate the jacket sleeve twice

• Options
    Chapter 6:
    I'm actually surprised they didn't lean into the... thing... at least on the Vita version, by having the forward camera turn on and Tearaway you.

Holy shit the reveal, that was REALLY good. I need to see where this is going now, just got a BAD END.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Chapter 6:
    I'm actually surprised they didn't lean into the... thing... at least on the Vita version, by having the forward camera turn on and Tearaway you.

Holy shit the reveal, that was REALLY good. I need to see where this is going now, just got a BAD END.

Chapter 6
    That...would have legitimately been really friggin cool.

• Options
    Finally beat this today.

I have a lot to say and unpack about it, but for now I'll just start with:

I am very very conflicted about this.

• Options
    yup.

Pretty much everyone feels that way after finishing.

Personally I've grown to be quite fond of the ending as time has passed, but I can't promise you'll feel the same way.

• Options
    I think it was a very well-written and well-executed ending and game.

I also think it's not really what I want from the series and am let down by the decisions that were made.

• Options
    I felt the same way at first, but I felt a little better about that when I read that

full game spoilers
    this was not intended to be a followup to the first two games. The staff couldn't decide on whether to make the next game the conclusion to the Hope's Peak storyline or a new thing. So they decided to do both. The DR3 anime was meant to be the conclusion to the Hope's peak story, and DRV3 was supposed to be its own thing. So DRV3 isn't meant to be taken as the ending to the story set out by the first two games, but an entirely different work that happens to refer to them.

• Options
    Ending
    I was actually disappointed when they made direct connections to DR1 & 2 in chapter 5, so I was glad that ended up being a red herring. That said, I loved how they made this game a metanarrative of the franchise itself. People idolizing fiction that's meant to be a cautionary tale of destructiveness is a huge problem (you can trace this back all the way to Catcher in the Rye, and even before then), and I think it was a brave decision for them to call that out. Though I could just be giving the ending more credit than it deserves. That's always possible. Maybe I just have a soft spot for the kind of thing they were going for.

The only complaint I have is that making another Danganronpa game after this one will ruin the impact of v3's ending. Though I question if we should get another one.

• Options
    Oh I get that, for sure.
    Essentially there are three timelines. One that DR1 through DR3 take place in, one that is the real world where we are fans of the first, which is fiction to us. Then the third reality is the V3 one, which is essentially a version of our world where big DR fans took things too far.

I'm not sore about V3 supposedly "ruining" the old games like some are, it's easy to mentally wrap myself around the idea of it being a different reality.

I just don't really care for making a game that goes in that direction anyway. It's not what I really wanted out of a new Danganronpa series. I would have preferred a fresh start that was less meta.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I think there's probably a fascinating plot somewhere in one of the ideas that one of the characters tossed off in the first chapter-- "What if we're all already dead?!"-- that could be the basis of a neat Danganronpa spinoff / derivative. Instead of restricting yourself to a high school for geniuses, take some arbitrary number of people from all walks of life and stick them in a a closed circle (maybe a boarded-up hotel?), and the big reveal (possibly in the first chapter, but maybe hold off on that until later) is that they are all dead, and competing for the opportunity to return to life. Who among them will be willing to condemn someone else to a truly final death, for whatever thing they feel they have to live for?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    So, a mashup of Danganronpa and The World Ends With You?
    Sign me up.

• Options
    Plus if you went with that idea, then...
    You could make the mastermind Junko again! Dead Junko!

• Options
    Plus if you went with that idea, then...
    You could make the mastermind Junko again! Dead Junko!
    Junko now, Junko tomorrow, Junko forever!

• Options
    Whole series spoilers:
    I seriously want them to find a way to bring Junko back every time and I want it to get more and more contrived each time.

This time, she's a ghost.

This time, her past self traveled to the future.

This time, she has become a sentient virus.

• Options
    You and I, we are of the same mind on this

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Hey I just started this game and got through the first case.
    And I'm not really feeling it any more, tbh.
    I liked Kaede! She was motivational without being completely unflappable like Makoto or total cardboard like Hajime.

It felt good to be in a female protagonist's shoes and now I'm stuck with a total bore.

I understand why they did it. It's definitely the most emotionally affecting case of the series, but now I feel like I'm starting the whole game over again after already investing SEVERAL HOURS into it.

People who have played through the game, is it worth it? I've already played through 2 games and seen a season of an anime, I know the themes that this series is pushing. Does it do enough new/interesting stuff for me to see it through?

Lemme know! Any opinions are appreciated!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Hey I just started this game and got through the first case.
    And I'm not really feeling it any more, tbh.
    I liked Kaede! She was motivational without being completely unflappable like Makoto or total cardboard like Hajime.

It felt good to be in a female protagonist's shoes and now I'm stuck with a total bore.

I understand why they did it. It's definitely the most emotionally affecting case of the series, but now I feel like I'm starting the whole game over again after already investing SEVERAL HOURS into it.

People who have played through the game, is it worth it? I've already played through 2 games and seen a season of an anime, I know the themes that this series is pushing. Does it do enough new/interesting stuff for me to see it through?

Lemme know! Any opinions are appreciated!

I'm going to as vague as possible, but it will involve talking about (again, in as vague details as possible) the final parts of the game.
    The themes you're talking about do come up quite often, to the point where it feels redundant. But they are ultimately in service of the game's true themes (which are quite different), and the true nature of the killing game. The reveal of the killing game's nature and purpose is probably the best twist in the entire franchise, IMO.

However, this payoff doesn't occur until near the end of the game, so the question is how much enjoyed the mystery solving and story beats of the first two games, as well as the cast of this one. Because up until much later, it's a lot of that.

• Options
    Gonta and Maki are pure and special.

Everyone else I can pretty much take or leave.
    I'm not particularly excited by the cast.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    In fairness, I'd say most of Danganronpa's characters come off as lazy stereotypes until you've spent a week or two of in-game time with them and learned whatever it is about them that turns all of your assumptions on their head.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    It's worth playing through, absolutely.

• Options
    I was in a very similar boat when I was at that point in the game.

Chapter 1 spoilers:
    I was really bummed out by the protagonist bait and switch, and I wasn't feeling the cast very much.

But I stuck it out, and I'm glad I did. I ended up really liking the cast, Shuichi turns out to be a better protagonist than Makoto and Hajime, and the plot goes very interesting places. The main theme is it's own thing from the rest of the franchise.

• Options
    I found videos of Danganronpa fan game of some sort that looks really polished

but it's not in english so I can't actually tell what's going on or even if it's a full game and not just some kind of tech demo

I did find videos of a translated full fangame but it looks pretty amateurish

• Options
    Decided to keep playing based on people's feedback.

Case 2 was good!

Case 3 was bad!

Kokichi is shooting up the list of my favourite characters if nothing else then for the reason that his Voice Actor may be giving the hammiest line-readings I've ever heard.

• Options
    Case 3 is very bad, yes

Case 4 is amazing though

Case 5 is also very good

• Options
    Decided to keep playing based on people's feedback.

Case 2 was good!

Case 3 was bad!

Kokichi is shooting up the list of my favourite characters if nothing else then for the reason that his Voice Actor may be giving the hammiest line-readings I've ever heard.

Coungratulations! You made it through the weakest parts of the game. It's all uphill from here.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Decided to play DR2, and from what I've played so far I might be appreciative more of the ending to DR3 if things go as I think they are.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So last night I finished up Ultra Despair Girls - and despite its awful, awful parts - I still once again got sucked into the story in the latter half and really liked the epilogue enough to think about picking up 3.

The only problem I have is I think something pretty major got spoiled about 3. I have no idea how bad it is though, since I have zero context.

Basically I didn't recognize one of the characters in Ultra Despair's epilogue, so I googled it:
    I forgot about Izuru, and when he's holding the Monokuma heads I googled "Whos that dude" and he popped up. I clicked his bio because the name didnt ring a bell, and remembered the whole Hajime/Izuru thing and thought it was neat, and BECAUSE I had heard there is absolutely no connection to DR3 from any past games, I started reading his bio as a refresher.

...then I got to the part that said "Izuru in Danganronpa V3" and closed the window.

Now I am thoroughly confused and may end up grabbing V3 because I can't stop wondering what that means, and if its THE huge twist that got spoiled or just some random backstory thing...but STILL...

This series is easily the one I love/hate the most. It's got fanservicey stuff WAY above what I'd ever normally tolerate but the actual plot and twists are so good I always come back to it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    That's not a V3 spoiler, you're good. It was probably a typo and was referring to DR3 (the show, not the game. It's confusing, I know).

• Options
    That's not a V3 spoiler, you're good. It was probably a typo and was referring to DR3 (the show, not the game. It's confusing, I know).

I think it's actually referring to some weird side mode in v3, actually. At any rate, it doesn't happen in the main game.

• Options
    Oh, the Talent Development Plan mini game

I tried that and got bored real fast

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thanks!

Just because it's still fresh in my mind, Ultra Despair Girls plot I think I liked a lot more than the other games, in some ways. Only have 2 characters meant I got a much better feel for them, and actually kinda cared about things more than I expected. Toko, I couldn't stand in DR1, and by the end of this game I actually really like her. Her voice actress helped immensely, because by the end it helped sell that she really was getting to be a better person by dropping the constant stammering and stuff.

If they hadn't horrifically botched Chapter 3 with that weird bullshit, it may even rank as my favorite in the series. I think DR1 and 2 had stronger plots and twists - but took me ages to play and had a ton of reading. Even though this game was a tad cutscene heavy at times, it really fit my schedule this week (still gotta be at work but no bosses around, sneak in an hour or so of Vita time after doing some busywork periodically) and was a great way to kill time.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I just finished this!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    this game used dance dance revolution to make a forceful emotional argument for the power of fiction to influence our lives for the better

uuuuuuuuuuuuck

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me