As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I mean it's not even a secret! It was a launch gimmick. It's impossible to even get an official source that keeps up the lie anymore!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    The initial sort of reveal of the game was the undertale twitter and toby's twitter announcing there would be a survey with a bit of fanfare, and then releasing "survey_program.exe" which was just deltarune. That was the extent of the con.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    The experience you want preserved was literally only available the day it was released

The jig would be up when you went looking for it and now there’s screenshots and a trailer

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    It is impressive to have somehow missed it though, especially here where I feel like it came up a lot when it happened

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The experience you want preserved was literally only available the day it was released

The jig would be up when you went looking for it and now there’s screenshots and a trailer

yeah toby fox is selling deltarune merch as well

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/deltarune

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Spy Party
    although I did have a conversation with some of my cousins, who are just getting into their 40s

and they had one of these ikea lamps

IHmz3qW.gifb

and when I saw it I said "oh cool, it's a death star lamp"

and they were both absolutely mystified

"death... star?"

"yes... like from star wars?"

"I don't think I've seen any of those. is the death star something in the movie?"

and man I get not liking star wars, or not going to the movies, but I figured just by like... general cultural osmosis anyone born in 1970 and onwards would know what the death star was

Brolo on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    That reminds me of something that happened recently

One of my wife's employees admitted to her that he doesn't watch the "in between" MCU movies, and only watches the big crossovers, so he's only seen the Avengers movies and Civil War

I don't know how you would even keep track of that

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Spy Party
    which makes me wonder

could there be some able-bodied, neurotypical adult in their 30s

who grew up in america, with a typical upbringing, but has never heard of star wars altogether

like they just never watched TV at the right time to see the commercials, and were never at the movie at the same time trailers were showing

just a series of freak coincidences kept occurring so they were never actually introduced to the franchise at all

Brolo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Star Citizen
    EDIT: Not the movie thread!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    although I did have a conversation with some of my cousins, who are just getting into their 40s

IHmz3qW.gifb

"death... star?"

"I don't think I've seen any of those. is the death star something in the movie?"

and man I get not liking star wars, or not going to the movies, but I figured just by like... general cultural osmosis anyone born in 1970 and onwards would know what the death star was

They HAD to have been fucking with you. That's absolutely wild to me.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Spy Party
    like two days ago, it was either on reddit or twitter I don't remember, I ran into a dude in his 20s that had never heard of trans people
    Like, didn't know the term, didn't know the concept, never heard anything in the news or online anywhere about them, nothing

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    like two days ago, it was either on reddit or twitter I don't remember, I ran into a dude in his 20s that had never heard of trans people
    Like, didn't know the term, didn't know the concept, never heard anything in the news or online anywhere about them, nothing
    That is sadly not in the least bit surprising to me.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Spy Party
    Wyvern wrote: »
    That is sadly not in the least bit surprising to me.

It shouldn't be, but still 🤦‍♂️

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

IHmz3qW.gifb

"death... star?"

This is just a Shin Megami Tensei boss.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    They remind me most of those big psychic orbs from XCOM 2

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Fuck, man, I'm trans and I didn't rightly know what being trans meant until, like, college.

Probably a big part of the reason I didn't figure it out until age 30. Until only a few years ago being trans had basically the inverse cultural footprint of Star Wars (at any time other than the 90s).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Epic's giving away Oxenfree.

Also Afterparty is now going to be out first on the Epic Game Store.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    They're giving away free oxen!?

ORE-GONE, HERE I COME!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ

Epic only or Epic + consoles?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I have to imagine the latter, going Epic only full stop seems extremely foolish

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Spy Party
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Today, during their GDC keynote, Epic Games confirmed that Afterparty will be coming to PC and Mac via the Epic Games Store. Afterparty will also launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch in 2019.

We want to bring you the most kickass version of Afterparty possible, and partnering with Epic has given us access to some amazing resources as we finish up development. This is an invaluable opportunity for an indie studio like ours, and we’re incredibly grateful for their ongoing support.

We want to share the Afterparty experience with the world, so we’ll continue to look at bringing the game to as many PC/Mac storefronts as possible in the future.

Thank you for being part of the Night School community. Seriously, you all rock. We’re looking forward to launch and we’re excited to continue the party with you.

edit: More importantly...

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Spy Party
    HELLCOUCH
    HELLCOUCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJwd8I7sCjs

HELL COUCH

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    telling people not to mention that the game exists at this point is a huge ask

fox himself only asked people to keep things on the downlow for 24 hours and it's been months

I only asked them to use spoilers!

edit: Like, this is not a huge deal to me, I'll survive. I am just a little taken aback that the response to please use spoilers is that it's on me to keep up with the rest of you.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    DayZ
    telling people not to mention that the game exists at this point is a huge ask

fox himself only asked people to keep things on the downlow for 24 hours and it's been months

I only asked them to use spoilers!

edit: Like, this is not a huge deal to me, I'll survive. I am just a little taken aback that the response to please use spoilers is that it's on me to keep up with the rest of you.

The response is due to the nature of the spoiler, in that it's literally only a spoiler to someone who hasn't heard about Deltarune before. The only way to preserve a spoiler of this type is to not talk about the game at all, because even if you spoil every single post you make about the game, whatever text you use to indicate what content you're hiding behind the spoiler tag will be itself a spoiler. As such, asking to spoil things in such a way that the original surprise can be preserved is next to impossible and a completely unreasonable request.

Anyway, Tacoma is free on Humble Bundle for the next couple of days, if anyone wants to get it.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Spoilers are kind of a fundamentally broken concept the second you ever want to have a discussion beyond "this event literally occurs in the media we both agreed to discuss in advance, which we have either 100% completed or not begun at all."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Spy Party

how does this keep happening

• Options
    Star Citizen

C'mon, what could pawsibly go wrong?

• Options
    well fuck it let's just bring back earthworm jim while we're at it! minus any douche-canoes that may have previously been involved!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Legally Distinct Earthworm Jim

I dunno

Woolly Bear James

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Annelida Andy! The round-worm science fiction space hero in the cool mech suit!

• Options
    Star Citizen
    Annelida Andy! The round-worm science fiction space hero in the cool mech suit!

Please.

Anne-Lida.

It's the lady worm's time to shine.

• Options
    OH SHIT BAYONETTA BUT SHE'S A WORM

• Options
    Spy Party
    I dont understand why the BIT.TRIP team is making a fucking Bubsy game
    Does someone have blackmail on them, are their families ok

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Star Citizen
    Honestly, there has to be, at some level, a desire to conquer the challenge of "how do we take this z-tier platformer from the 90's and make a good game with him."

EDIT: Z-tier might be a little harsh. There's probably worse platformers than Bubsy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Didn't we already have a mostly forgotten attempt at rebooting Bubsy once already too? in like the early 2k's?

edit: hmm might have just be a wave of rereleases of the old stuff I'm remembering.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Spy Party
    Didn't we already have a mostly forgotten attempt at rebooting Bubsy once already too? in like the early 2k's?

edit: hmm might have just be a wave of rereleases of the old stuff I'm remembering.

no there was one of these literally two years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgxHiqBptm8
    The game was met with a negative reception, with review aggregator Metacritic giving the PC version a weighted average score of 44 out of a possible 100[20] and the PS4 version a score of 45 out of 100,[21] indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Brian Shea of Game Informer panned the game, calling it "an unnecessary resuscitation".[22] Patrick Hancock of Destructoid questioned why the character of Bubsy was brought back and made note of its release in the same year as other more well received platformers.[23] Heidi Kemps of IGN dismissed the game as "an extremely short and completely forgettable platformer based on nothing but irony and nostalgic notoriety".[24] Christian Donlan of Eurogamer wrote "Bubsy's return is more than a little underwhelming".[25] Conversely, Hardcore Gamer gave the game 3.5 out of 5.[26]

The game was a runner-up for the "Worst Game (That We Played)" award at Giant Bomb's Game of the Year 2017 Awards.[27]

like why waste more money on this?

I doubt most gamers who are into these very basic kinds of platformers remember bubsy
    and anyone who does still remember bubsy probably doesn't like him

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    an identifiable name is still more valuable than a new IP to investors

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    I dont understand why the BIT.TRIP team is making a fucking Bubsy game
    Does someone have blackmail on them, are their families ok

I think someone with some capital got a hold of the Bubsy IP recently and decided to try throwing a little bit of money at a few different studios to try to turn it into a Real IP that's, like, profitable and worth owning. So far they're not succeeding because they're not throwing nearly enough money at it and the legacy of Bubsy's shoddiness seems ironically reinforced.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Star Citizen
    Yeah, somebody ressurected Accolade, put out the existing Bubsy 2D platformers on Steam, and has been financing new games with the IP.

The first modern game was short and not great, so I'm wondering if they didn't just go "Find a popular indie developer to make this next one."

This discussion has been closed.