Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This garbage was inevitable as long as the FCC were the sole arbitrators. We were going to get some shithead like Pai in there eventually.

Call your rep and senators, vote in the primaries, and let's hope Congress eventually legislates in some actual rules.

Also already hearing there are groups planning to challenge in court, which will be interesting to watch.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Just remember that Comcast et al said that they’ll never do anything with this. Never ever.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Just remember that Comcast et al said that they’ll never do anything with this. Never ever.

I sure do love a Verizon flunkey telling me that major telecoms will never screw me despite that being literally all they've done, ever, in history.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

And then edited out parts of that promise.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The argument they kept going back to over and over was "There were no rules in place for years and look how fine we were!" conveniently ignoring that costs had been steadily rising for years, over and over again, and fees were being hidden from customers, and services were being blocked by ISPs to hinder competition, and and and

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    The argument they kept going back to over and over was "There were no rules in place for years and look how fine we were!" conveniently ignoring that costs had been steadily rising for years, over and over again, and fees were being hidden from customers, and services were being blocked by ISPs to hinder competition, and and and

"Just a handful of examples, but you really don't have any examples" Michael O'Rielly actually

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Idk who else uses it, but the Google play music app is fucking bad lately. I use it for podcasts and often times it just sits there loading for 5 minutes, even if I have podcasts already downloaded, even if I'm not connected to the internet, etc. Just sits there forever. It's really bad

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Idk who else uses it, but the Google play music app is fucking bad lately. I use it for podcasts and often times it just sits there loading for 5 minutes, even if I have podcasts already downloaded, even if I'm not connected to the internet, etc. Just sits there forever. It's really bad

I've been streaming from the web player all day and it's been fine. I've never used it for podcasts though, so I can't think of what might be up.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So what is good for podcasts on your iphone? Recently starting getting into them and heard the default apple podcast app is junk.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

I use it a lot and I have noticed that it hangs like that on podcasts sometimes. If it hangs for more than 10 seconds I just select a different episode and then reselect the one I want and it always works the second time. I've never had it hangs for music though, which I find weird.

• Options
    So what is good for podcasts on your iphone? Recently starting getting into them and heard the default apple podcast app is junk.

I used Overcast for a long time without issues, then I eventually moved to Pocket Casts because it syncs your podcasts across devices, which is nice if say you're listening to a podcast from your phone on the way home then hop on your computer to play some games and you can pick up where you left off from the web player.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

I use it a lot and I have noticed that it hangs like that on podcasts sometimes. If it hangs for more than 10 seconds I just select a different episode and then reselect the one I want and it always works the second time. I've never had it hangs for music though, which I find weird.

Im on the phone app that's the only place I have issues. And like it doesn't bring up ANY podcasts for me to select

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Oh I have not had that issue. I use the phone app too and it always loads podcasts for me to select, it'll just hang sometimes after I select an episode.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    seconding overcast for iphone if you only listen to podcasts on the phone. it's a really nice app.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    I used the google play app on an iPhone for a year (until I could upgrade to a bigger capacity phone and store more music locally) and it was a fucking nightmare

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I use Podcast Addict on my Android phone and it is great.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I will always and forever recommend Pocket Casts.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Pocket Casts is great.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I use Google Music for podcasts, and haven't really had any issues.

A couple times it's crashed, but that's about it.

Running Android 8.0.

• Options
    Huh

weird how I've been having nothing but streaming and downloading issues tonight

so weird

I'm sure that's just coincidental!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Honestly I’m hoping it’s just coincidental. Kinda horrifying to think they’d mobilize that fast to degrade service.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Honestly I’m hoping it’s just coincidental. Kinda horrifying to think they’d mobilize that fast to degrade service.

They've probably had shit ready to go since 2015 tbh.

But I mean it's just a wee bit too coincidental for me that I'm having trouble with things that would be considered "slow lane" stuff, but everything else seems to be working just fine.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Much like my current cold, my left joycon's decided to die on me and Android 8.1 is chugging battery on my pixel 2 way more than it should

I thought human diseases weren't able to be passed to technology...

edit: ah fuck me, 2-3 week turn around for repair +

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I think the better way to say it is that "you can sell $1M USD worth of buttcoins on an exchange and there are orders to support that (which is what tossrock is saying), but there's no guarantee that $1M USD actually exists in a form you can do anything with outside of the exchange unless you want to take it out $20k at a time because most of these companies don't have that kind of liquidity".

I'd definitely agree that there are exchanges with liquidity problems, and the default withdrawal limit per day is usually $10k or so, but it's also true that there are exchanges where you can have your daily withdrawal limit raised to $25,000,000. And as far as I can tell from my reading of bowen's posts, that's not what he was talking about - he was saying that there wasn't counterparty demand to sell a million dollars of bitcoin ("it's a long process of waiting for bidders for the amount of bitcoin they want to buy and you want to sell and you're going to eat a shit ton in fees to move it around because of that"), which is untrue, as the order book demonstrates.

So, to recap the factual situation:

1. It is possible to sell a million dollars worth of bitcoin, today, for US dollars, and have almost no impact on the price.
    2. There is at least one exchange where it is possible to withdraw that money into your bank account in a single day, in cold hard US dollars, once you've met their verification standards.

These are my main points, and I'm only repeating them because they're both provably true, and yet (apparently) widely disbelieved. I don't recommend anyone buy bitcoin. I think bitcoin is currently in a speculative bubble. That doesn't make points 1 & 2 untrue.

sig.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I want evidence that someone has actually withdrawn a large amount of US currency using Bitcoin. If it really that easy surely someone has posted some transaction logs showing it somewhere. Also a screen shot of a drop down box is not enough proof for me that it is actually possible to do it.

Edit: To be clear I don't really care one way or the other. I just don't think it is actually doable. Saying it is doable is not enough, I want someone who has done it to prove it.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    That's a silly standard of evidence.

• Options
    There's a whole genre of pictures of the Teslas people have bought with their bitcoin earnings, eg 1, 2, which is a pretty concrete sign that these people did in fact convert their fake internet money into real world, expensive-ass car buyin' money. Although I guess those aren't American license plates so they probably didn't withdraw to USD, technically.

Then there was that human interest piece by the noted purveyor of fake news, Forbes, about a guy who sold his coin and is now a nouveau riche douche, or whatever.

Could you make an argument that those are faked, it's all faked, everything is faked? Yeah, I guess so. If that floats your boat, float on. I'll be over here, where I trust that I'm not being deceived by a demon, and it is possible to understand things.

sig.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    No need to be a goose. I just have yet to see anyone actually do it. I guess you really showed me though. Congrats on that big internet win.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    No need to be a goose. I just have yet to see anyone actually do it. I guess you really showed me though. Congrats on that big internet win.

MnXxoh8.png

via Achewood

sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Can you guys just fuck and get it over with?

• Options
    I mean hey, I'm flexible

sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    just an fyi, any forbes website that has /sites/ in the url is just a blog on forbes.

it's not news.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Much like my current cold, my left joycon's decided to die on me

I feel your pain.

I sent in my joycons barely a month ago. Left joystick is a little wonky but the right one is a disaster.

And late last week I started having problems with it again and it's right back to where it was before I sent it out.

So its looking like I'm gonna have to buy at least one new one next month. 8I

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    1 million downloads

Only a 4.2 rating

3+

I have so many questions

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    1 million downloads

Only a 4.2 rating

3+

I have so many questions

Well I mean, from that description, the app does what it says.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    trying to fastforward some of my technology habits to 2017 (just in time for 2018!)

i'm ditching gmail for everything but spam/account service, and i picked up 1password, finally, because I'm starting to have a lot of company passwords and it's really good for that sort of thing

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    1 million downloads

Only a 4.2 rating

3+

I have so many questions

It's powered by memessss

discrider on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    trying to fastforward some of my technology habits to 2017 (just in time for 2018!)

i'm ditching gmail for everything but spam/account service, and i picked up 1password, finally, because I'm starting to have a lot of company passwords and it's really good for that sort of thing

Wait what's the new hotness for email?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.