Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    what the hell? my phone just told me I have used 2gb of data this month and I've never even come close to that before? I wonder if I got some weird malware hijacking my lte for nefarious purposes?

can you break it down by app?

android should have an option to do that under options -> Network -> Data Usage -> Mobile Data Usage (click text to see graph)

4eVyeRLh.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you had a pixel an update came out about a week ago and if you weren't on wifi that would have eaten a large chunk of bandwidth.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    ah looking at it seems like my wifi keeps cutting out. so that means a lot of my normal Google play streaming is going over lte instead of wifi like normal.

Probably need to call the cable company and get a new modem.

If I can actually I might just get a modem and buy my own access point next month.

luckily I'm on unlimited data and tmo won't charge me overages until well over 50gb not that I'll hit that before next cycle.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Everybody out in the shop of my last job had Trekz Titaniums and every one of them loved them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Hey Tube, did you ever get those airpods? Do you like them?

AirPods are fantastic. Buy them.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I wish I could find a pair of earbuds that fit me well. All of the ones I've tried are uncomfortable and end up falling out of my ears after about 10 minutes of use. Even ones with adjustable rubber gaskets or whatever don't end up fitting right.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I wish I could find a pair of earbuds that fit me well. All of the ones I've tried are uncomfortable and end up falling out of my ears after about 10 minutes of use. Even ones with adjustable rubber gaskets or whatever don't end up fitting right.

Some people have ears that are just super hard to find earbuds that fit comfortably and/or seal well. Have you tried using a pair that has compressible foam tips? Comply makes tips that'll fit almost any IEM.

I've honestly never ever found the rubber ones comfortable and have always used some form of foam tips. Another more expensive option is getting a set of custom molded IEM's, ones that start as fully custom or having a non-custom pair made into customs by places such as InEarZ.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah earbuds don't agree with my ear shape at all, they just fall out if I move my head at all.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    yeah earbuds don't agree with my ear shape at all, they just fall out if I move my head at all.

They're always super uncomfortable to me no matter what kind I use. I've never found one I actively like wearing that doesn't make my ears feel weird.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Rubber in ears just feel awful to me and never stay in. I prefer old school ear buds with replaceable foam covers.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    hey. youtube TV is available here now.

I might give that a shot.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey Tube, did you ever get those airpods? Do you like them?

I like them pretty well, but haven't used them on a call yet. The double tap stuff doesn't work well, and there isn't a convenient way to change volume without using my watch, but otherwise it genuinely seems like a good form factor and a decent (overpriced) product. I think they need a couple of actual buttons on them to match the functionality of my other sets. I miss being able to easily get the things to play whatever is running button from my aftershokz.

• Options
    Oooh, when they renovated the flat before we moved here they actually installed ethernet everywhere except in the kitchen, and it even works! That saves me the hassle of installing a workaround.

• Options
    h6wzOsSl.jpg
    j9ZRiO5l.jpg
    HlvDrOJl.jpg

QBBJKf2l.jpg

The headset itself is going by the name Lightwear, which features an array of sensors – exactly how many and their individual purpose, we’re not sure yet. Two cables are seen trailing out the back of the Lightwear headset, although it appears these actually connect to the computing unit. Lightwear is said to be “[e]ngineered to be lightweight and comfortable for hours of exploration. We’ve combined our Digital Lightfield technology with environment mapping, precision tracking and soundfield audio to produce amazing experiences that feel natural.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/magic-leap-finally-unveils-first-ar-product-magic-leap-one-shipping-starts-2018/

• Options
    i expected the future to be horrifying

but i didn't really think it would be this goofy looking

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Via https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/lightwear-introducing-magic-leaps-mixed-reality-goggles-w514479
    As for the cost: “So we have an internal price, but we are not talking about that yet,” he says. “Pre-order and pricing will come together. I would say we are more of a premium computing system. We are more of a premium artisanal computer. “

hmm.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

djmitchella on
  • Options
    artisinal....computers

• Options
    edited December 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    artisinal....computers

SJzXxNH.jpg

whip ain't got no gas tank but it still got woodgrain

Brolo on
  • Options
    dual ethernet ports on my laptop like WHOA

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dad: "Make sure you have your chess helmet on before playing Giant Street Chess"
    Kid: "Aw dad do I really have to?"
    Dad:"It's the law, Billy."

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Artisanal computers

Oh fuck off

• Options
    Apple might be slowing down old iPhones to preserve battery life

I'm not sure this is a bad idea per se, to reduce performace to increase battery life, but they probably should be open about it or have is an option.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Apple might be slowing down old iPhones to preserve battery life

I'm not sure this is a bad idea per se, to reduce performace to increase battery life, but they probably should be open about it or have is an option.

Courage.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sometimes I'm really astounded that Apple is valued as much as it is

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Well that would explain why my 6s runs like an absolute pig these days.

It also still shuts down at 40% battery so mission failed on that front too.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

I mean, Apple makes some great products! The original iPhone was a ecosystem changing meteor in the mobile landscape.

But this corporate worship of the Church of Apple (our father Jobs who art heaven, hallowed be thy name) and really expensive electronics is alien to me.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Personally I stay with apple because I have a lot of apple ecosystem stuff and honestly I don't care enough about the differences between phones to justify a switch to android, especially as flagship phones on that side like the pixel have also removed the headphone jack, the only thing i actually give a shit about.

Honestly anyone these days who worships brands and corporations is being played for a fool. They don't care about you. Not a single one.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

I mean, Apple makes some great products! The original iPhone was a ecosystem changing meteor in the mobile landscape.

But this corporate worship of the Church of Apple (our father Jobs who art heaven, hallowed be thy name) and really expensive electronics is alien to me.

Counterpoint: iTunes

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I only use iPhone and Apple Watch, but they suit me pretty well and I don't see a need to change. Every other Apple product I've ever used has been horrible, and their software is an absolute joke.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    people were telling me I should look into imacs for a new computer

uh, no

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    iTunes on Mac isn’t actually bad

Also I still trust Apple to protect my data more so that google/Samsung, for whatever that’s worth. They seem to actually put their money where their mouth is when they say they are committed to user privacy/security (recent lapses in root access on High Sierra aside)

• Options
    the secret is that every company is lying about caring about that so you're fucked no matter what

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    people were telling me I should look into imacs for a new computer

uh, no

they're pretty swanky if you have unlimited money and don't want to dick around inside of the box

cpWC6Yrh.jpg

aDpLWOOh.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2017
    lol $7k what the fuck (e: tax + apple care probably brings that close to 7k)

bowen on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Do the iMac Pros come with some sort of liquid cooling system or something? Because I feel like that 18-core Xeon + Vega 64 build has to get real hot in the iMac form factor.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    price aside that is actually a really good computer

they finally fixed the one thing that always kept me from imacs which was bad thermals.. but still $4k minimum price... that's not reasonable

• Options
    it's artisinal AND organic bowen

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If you're not cool enough to keep your processor within operational limits, you're not cool enough to own a Mac.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Do the iMac Pros come with some sort of liquid cooling system or something? Because I feel like that 18-core Xeon + Vega 64 build has to get real hot in the iMac form factor.

they built two leaf blowers into the back of it

This discussion has been closed.