Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfUvW_3C3U

dunno, some seem pretty sincere about carrying and using their swords

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    well huh

I guess he did study the blade

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I am not denying that there are dumb idiots who are super into swords, I just think the internet propensity in general for shaming people for having a dorky picture taken is mean. If someone wants to open carry their sword, they can be safely mocked without collateral damage towards people who are just awkward and have bad taste in shirts.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I am not denying that there are dumb idiots who are super into swords, I just think the internet propensity in general for shaming people for having a dorky picture taken is mean. If someone wants to open carry their sword, they can be safely mocked without collateral damage towards people who are just awkward and have bad taste in shirts.

yeah you're right, i'll check myself on that in the future

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

A bargain at that price, too!

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

yeah you're right, i'll check myself on that in the future

I didn't mean to single you out, it's just something I've been thinking about lately when that stuff comes up. People do it all the time with different nerdy/dorky/unfashionable choices.

• Options
    no he's wrong, all sword nerds are definitely contemptible

now then next up on the schedule we are going to pillory people who like video game dragons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »

A bargain at that price, too!

what in tarnation..

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    but

but I like dragons

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Blockchain announcement sends Hooters parent company stock soaring
    The stock market loves blockchains. Last month, the Long Island Iced Tea Company rebranded itself as Long Blockchain and saw its stock price triple. On Tuesday, Chanticleer Holdings, the parent company of Hooters, saw its stock soar by 50 percent after the company announced that it would be moving its reward programs to the blockchain.

"Eating a burger is now a way to mine for cryptocoins," said Dennis Becker, CEO of Mobivity, the company that's helping Chanticleer jump on the cryptocurrency bandwagon. "Every meal enjoyed at any Chanticleer Holdings brand will accrue currency for the consumer that can be used for future meals or traded with other consumers."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/01/blockchain-announcement-sends-hooters-parent-company-stock-soaring/

Great news @Rorshach Kringle!

yesssss

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have a problem with people who "open carry" swords, thinking that they're in any way practical for self defense or that somehow pulling one out in public transportation is in any way a good idea and not incredibly absurdly dangerous.

I think that someone who would carry a sword for self defense is a big deluded dum dum and I am aware that is painting with a broad, potentially unfair brush.

• Options
    What if I need to stop a bad guy though

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

That's what your nunchucks are for.

• Options
    I would say the only good thing about sword open carry proponents is they highlight how ridiculous open carry is as a concept. It's certainly absurd to ban open carry of swords and not guns.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Maximum wrote: »

That's what your nunchucks are for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvw68IneV4

nunchucks seem almost impossible to use without injuring yourself in several different ways

i wonder how often they were ever used for any kind of practical self defense and how much training you'd need to actually make use of them

Brolo on
  • Options
    0dx16Yy.gif

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I would say the only good thing about sword open carry proponents is they highlight how ridiculous open carry is as a concept. It's certainly absurd to ban open carry of swords and not guns.

It's a lot easier to accidentally cut someone with a sword than it is to shoot someone. And the gun could come in useful.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

It's a lot easier to accidentally cut someone with a sword than it is to shoot someone. And the gun could come in useful.

i guess, but getting accidentally shot seems to be a lot deadlier than getting accidentally cut

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

No, I don't think so

• Options
    I do not find that line of argument convincing and don't think it squares particularly well with any existing interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Swords are far more practical, from a tool standpoint. See, in a pinch you can use a sword to cut a cake, or perhaps some vegetables. You cannot say the same for a gun!

• Options
    Swords are far more practical, from a tool standpoint. See, in a pinch you can use a sword to cut a cake, or perhaps some vegetables. You cannot say the same for a gun!

nqbPHni.jpg

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

nqbPHni.jpg

How dare you

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    As an avid sport sword fighter... open carrying swords is really dumb, and a good way to get yourself shot/imprisoned. Brandishment is a thing, and the second you so much as twitch towards handling a weapon in public you open yourself up to all kinds of charges and physical risks. And as someone who teaches how to use on effectively... it takes years of training to get even passably proficient with one, and thats assuming you can get regular competent instruction. People are gonna get hurt over allowing them to be carried in public, and I get to be on the frontlines of the backlash. Yay!

Taking nerd photos with your sword is nothing shame someone over though, they were a major component of human history and I don't think an appreciation of that is any worse than any other hobby/collecting interest.

*stares nervously at his pile of swords/axe/spears*

Yup, nothing weird about that at all....

• Options
    I don't even think cops should open carry.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    If you're not a master of the gunblade then you're nothing to me

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Weapons have no place in a public setting

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    lyi3lr6.gif

Peen on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think a certain level of sword scorn is associated with the person who is super into weaponry and has "self taught" themselves and is very vocal about it, but only owns display pieces and not functional weaponry. So they are trying to portray a certain image/lifestyle without being able to back it up.

For the people who love this stuff but arent being condescending about it, more power to them.

I feel the same things for folks who go about portraying themselves as loggers, farmhands, gangsters but who dont have any actual association with the thing theyre trying to be. Also to be clear im talking about the folks who go off the deep end trying to dress/act as subculture they know nothing about beyond media representation, then do nothing except talk your ear off about it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I don't think being able to back it up with functional weapons is actually very important to whether you look like a fool

and it's also pretty different from co-opting fashion and culture from groups you're not a member of, that doesn't feel like a good comparison to me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I don't know; At least open carrying a sword gets you shot at first, opening a window of opportunity for the good guy with a gun to shoot himself in the foot.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    If some guy at a party tried to talk to me about his sword collection and how he has studied the blade, I'd probably try and peace out of that conversation. That's probably a guy I don't have a lot in common with. I'm not saying anyone super has to like Sword Guy. Maybe Sword Guy open carries his fucking sword and is a huge douche about it. Judge him on those terms as and when he does that.

The problem I have is when that is extrapolated into "look at this picture of a guy with a sword, what a tool". I think it's judgmental and a form of bullying not only to that person but also to other people like them. It's the use of shame and ridicule to coerce people into conforming to a particular societal expectation and I don't think that's an ethical thing to do in this context. The fact that this particular meme has accompanying text of possibly spurious origin to make it look more ridiculous is telling, because it's an attempt to put more weight behind the ridicule. "This is what this guy is probably like!". Yeah, maybe, but you don't know that. You can't know that. Maybe he's doing a joke. Maybe his dad got him that sword, right before he died. Maybe that guy is a legitimate Kendo badass. Maybe he's just goofing around, like we all do. If you could get given a big prop sword and not strike a badass pose with it I unno, maybe you should regain some of your juvenile whimsy.

It's the same as "this guy wears an unfashionable hat/has a neckbeard/ is too fat or too skinny". People can come up with justifications for it, reasons why that person probably deserves to be ridiculed and any accompanying memes will always come with such justifications. All it ever really is though, is another form of "why aren't you conforming." and it's often delivered by people who should know full well how damaging knee-jerk calls for conformity can be. IE, literally anyone who posts here.

Tube on
  • Options
    I'm also lying in the first part I'll listen to anyone talk about their goofy fucking hobby I love that shit.

• Options
    I'd probably be interested in a conversation with a sword nerd that was all into the history of swords and all that.

Not so much a dude that collects katanas and has creepy body pillows talking about how he could stop a crime and argue with me about katana vs whatever the one handed swords are.

I'd peace out of that conversation for sure too.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    i'm only interested in the number of times the glorious nippon steel is folded over.

but seriously weapons of war in a historical context and the reasons they evolved the way they did is mad interesting.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Gonna be honest: I would be way less worried about the fuckin' white racists we have in Arizona if they carried around katanas instead of pistols and assault rifles.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    we're still dunking on fedora wearers though, right?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    fedoras are going to be radioactive for decades if not centuries

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    we're still dunking on fedora wearers though, right?

Read the post again if you have to. I'll wait.

This discussion has been closed.