Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    How do I control the music on my phone with my Fitbit Blaze? I figured it out yesterday! And I can't remember what I did

They're paired with Bluetooth

Edit
    Got it

I had to forget one of the devices on my phone

And restart my phone

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Knight_ wrote: »
    so i'm stupid and got an iphone x.

it's fast as fucking hell compared to my busted old 6s (which was probably being additionally slowed by apple) and doesn't turn off at 60% battery like my 6s so that's cool. the gesture controls are surprisingly fine. force closing an app is a bit annoying but i'm sure i'll get used to it eventually.

the dongles are a problem though. is there a good wireless charger to get so i can keep it charged at work while i listen to my podcasts? also, does anyone who has one have any experience with the standard snap on plastic cases? i got one of those cases for my 6s years ago and it wore away a big part of the aluminum finish, and i'd like to keep this one looking better than that one so i'll have to get a different case style if that happens to the x.

I mean, so you actually need one? I've only had the battery go under 20 percent once and that's because I didn't charge it overnight. Webguy is right there is the gizmodo article on them, but I'd also say if it is just to constantly top it up, any cheap one off ebay would charge it enough to keep it topped up, just not at the fastest speed (but there is also a 10x cost difference between the fastest and a slower one)

Blake T on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    so i'm stupid and got an iphone x.

it's fast as fucking hell compared to my busted old 6s (which was probably being additionally slowed by apple) and doesn't turn off at 60% battery like my 6s so that's cool. the gesture controls are surprisingly fine. force closing an app is a bit annoying but i'm sure i'll get used to it eventually.

the dongles are a problem though. is there a good wireless charger to get so i can keep it charged at work while i listen to my podcasts? also, does anyone who has one have any experience with the standard snap on plastic cases? i got one of those cases for my 6s years ago and it wore away a big part of the aluminum finish, and i'd like to keep this one looking better than that one so i'll have to get a different case style if that happens to the x.

Like Blake T said, you shouldn't need a charger to keep your X going at work if all you're doing is listening to podcasts. I use my 8plus for that purpose and I've never run out of charge during the day.

As for cases, go pick up an Apple leather case if you think you need one. Nice and grippy, and it won't wear off the finish.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My phone is completely unusable :(

It dropped about four inches from a low chair to the ground, and now the screen just displays nonstop really bright white and greenish light, with the occasional very dim chance of seeing what's going on underneath.

The exterior is 100% completely unblemished, and in those odd chances I can see what's happening on the screen, I can tell that the system itself is entirely functional, and I can log on, start playing music, go to an app, answer calls, etc.

What the hell kind of phone breaks from a four inch drop.
    Hell, what kind of phone breaks the screen before the glass or the interiors.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    What kind of phone is it?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    s7 edge

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It doesn't take much to break a screen.

It just needs to be on the right angle and at a hard enough surface. Not sure what else to tell you other than you got unlucky.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Something similar happened to me - dropped it and the screen got all messed up, but there was no external damage. I just took it to the carrier store and lied! "It's really weird, Mr. Verizon Man, I woke up this morning and took my phone off the charger, it froze, rebooted suddenly, and did this! Isn't that strange??" I let them dick around with it a bit, and it was obvious they couldn't fix it they gave me a new one.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im betting the ribbon cable for the screen got unseated at one end or another.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    On my previous iPhone I thought I fixed it so my gmail would show up faster but on my iPhone X it seems to only show up when I actively go into the mail app and refresh. It is set to fetch automatically.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's so fetch

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    that's so fetch

Quit trying... whatever.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    On my previous iPhone I thought I fixed it so my gmail would show up faster but on my iPhone X it seems to only show up when I actively go into the mail app and refresh. It is set to fetch automatically.

I switched to the Gmail app.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If my phone started giving me push notifications every time I got an email, I would smash it with a brick.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Got an iphone 6 or so that needs a new battery?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think they bodged this pretty badly but that battery replacement price is good.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So my new x can’t connect to my chromecast, but my old 6s still can. What would cause that? They’re both on the same wifi using the same app, but the x can’t see the tv at all.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hi tech friends. I got a powerline adapter for Christmas and hooked it up and it is slooooooow; I have Fios and it's plugged directly into the modem, and directly into an outlet how it's supposed to be, and the other end is directly into an outlet how it's supposed to be, and my Xbox One is getting .31 mbps download speed (according to an in-browser speed test). Wtf halp

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    You don't have it plugged into a surge protector right?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    where do you live? some wiring doesn't work well with power line adapters at all.

for example I live in a trailer and had the same issue because our wiring sucks (every time I turn something on in my room or run my washing machine my pc speakers pop a bit)

apartments often have similar issues.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Nope, knew not to do that.

I'm in an old house (built in 1954), so the wiring is likewise old. I didn't know if that would make a difference but maybe it does?

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Nope, knew not to do that.

I'm in an old house (built in 1954), so the wiring is likewise old. I didn't know if that would make a difference but maybe it does?

Yeah it's likely having an effect.

Do you have a fuse box instead of a circuit breaker?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Nah, it's a shiny new high capacity breaker box. That was the first thing we upgraded when we moved in, the old one wasn't up to code.

It's hard to find information about this thing on the general Internet, it appears to be the blackest magic.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Literally no one knows how they work

• Options
    Well that rules out that then.

Might just be the brand of powerline adapter you're using? Some have more magic power than others.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Xbox is connected wired or wireless? Powerline wireless had occasionally been spotty for me

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I uh

well someone paid me 500$ to come set their kids desktop up for them and at first I'm like "you don't have to pay me this is easy shit for me and I don't mind doing this" and they were all like "no no I saw how many cords and things are it must be super difficult and this was expensive as shit so I want it done right!" and then I was like "okay" and now I have basically free money in my hand

*pinches self* am I dreaming?

edit: the weirdest thing was that I'm pretty sure if I outright refused the money he'd have felt insulted

Trace on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I uh

well someone paid me 500$ to come set their kids desktop up for them and at first I'm like "you don't have to pay me this is easy shit for me and I don't mind doing this" and they were all like "no no I saw how many cords and things are it must be super difficult and this was expensive as shit so I want it done right!" and then I was like "okay" and now I have basically free money in my hand

edit: the weirdest thing was that I'm pretty sure if I outright refused the money he'd have felt insulted

He probably felt like there was no way it could be so easy you'd do it for free (he did not want to feel stupid)

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    I uh

He probably felt like there was no way it could be so easy you'd do it for free (he did not want to feel stupid)

honestly I barely know the guy. He's a friend of a friend of a friend and he is -the most- tech averse guy I know. He can barely use his cell phone and according to like, everyone, he is completely uninterested in learning a thing about technology and derides it cause he wants to go back to the good ol'e days of like, Rolodex and six tv channels I guess?

apparently his kid had been hounding him for years for a desktop pc (specifically a pc, because I think video games are another tech thing the dude looks down on) so I don't know if he knows that a 1080 wasn't exactly a requirement. this is a nice desktop too, probably in the range of 2500$

• Options
    If he has the money and wants to pay it's whatever, he trusts you to do it right and I don't like arguing with those folks. I make it clear with them that if anything goes wrong it's not something I did though, because those are the types of people who typically hound you 3 years later that "something you did 3 years ago made my computer crash, fix it for free"

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Man, the shop I work in only charges about $150 to do that!

• Options
    If he has the money and wants to pay it's whatever, he trusts you to do it right and I don't like arguing with those folks. I make it clear with them that if anything goes wrong it's not something I did though, because those are the types of people who typically hound you 3 years later that "something you did 3 years ago made my computer crash, fix it for free"

I told him I'll show up once a month to basically take a look at it and advise care, maybe even clean it out for them. Honestly the kid seems like he'll pick up on it quick enough. I set him up with avast and stuck ad blocker on his favored browser and let him have at it. I figure I'll buy him overwatch and a decent headset for his birthday since I know basically no one else will.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Xbox is connected wired or wireless? Powerline wireless had occasionally been spotty for me

Wired, my whole goal was to get the Xbox wired so that maybe performance would improve and definitely there'd be less traffic on the network. It's a TP Link set that's reviewed well so maybe it's the house, who knows. I'll keep poking at it and I'll report back if I figure anything out.

• Options
    god why does bluetooth suck so much.

i just want a headphone standard that lets me wirelessly listen to music outside and not have it be the absolute worst.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Wired, my whole goal was to get the Xbox wired so that maybe performance would improve and definitely there'd be less traffic on the network. It's a TP Link set that's reviewed well so maybe it's the house, who knows. I'll keep poking at it and I'll report back if I figure anything out.

Try moving the receiving end to a different outlet. I had to move mine around a couple times to get it to work.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    god why does bluetooth suck so much.

i just want a headphone standard that lets me wirelessly listen to music outside and not have it be the absolute worst.

See, I've been having the opposite response to Bluetooth since buying new headphones. I could leave my phone on my desk and still listen to music in the bathroom at work.

I don't know why I would do that but it's still neat to me.

• Options
    yea they work great inside, almost absurd distance.

walk outside and suddenly the distance from my pocket to my head might as well be across the country.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Try moving the receiving end to a different outlet. I had to move mine around a couple times to get it to work.

That's the only one in the right place! I read a few things and apparently having anything plugged into the same outlet can cause interference. That's fine and all but where the hell do I plug in the device I'm running internet to? I'm going to end up wiring my damn house.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

That's the only one in the right place! I read a few things and apparently having anything plugged into the same outlet can cause interference. That's fine and all but where the hell do I plug in the device I'm running internet to? I'm going to end up wiring my damn house.

Ethernet over power devices need to be paired, one should go from your router to the wall socket, the other from the device you're trying to connect to the wall socket. Both should be connected with RJ45 networking cable.

8DilPkd.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

I've done it, depends on the house and all, but the activities involved aren't that difficult.

Get yourself a fisherman's sinker, and you'll be in business.

This discussion has been closed.