Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    KetBra wrote: »
    My miner friends tell me that if you don't horrifically abuse them, they should be okay

miners don't seem like an unbiased source

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I just walked out of an Intel recruitment drive because it so turned me off the company.
    I can't tell if this was accidental, or deliberate. I mean you'd THINK they'd want to drum up enthusiasm, but maybe they want to make sure they only get applications from people who are very difficult to bore?

Was there lots of powerpoints? I always suspect Intel has lots of powerpoints.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I just walked out of an Intel recruitment drive because it so turned me off the company.
    I can't tell if this was accidental, or deliberate. I mean you'd THINK they'd want to drum up enthusiasm, but maybe they want to make sure they only get applications from people who are very difficult to bore?

Was there lots of powerpoints? I always suspect Intel has lots of powerpoints.

yes, but that really wasn't the problem.

• Options
    shit that's bad then

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ban powerpoint

• Options
    edited February 2018
    They sent out the guy who does atomic layer deposition. Which is fine, he's probably really great at that. But it was advertised as a general recruitment talk for Intel, so at the start he threw up a list of research topics Intel are currently focussing on, and then he went down the list with: "I don't know anything about this." Then he talked in a monotone about thin-film transistors for an hour, and none of the videos worked.

We were assured many times that Intel are still 2-3 years ahead of the competition in thin-film transistor manufacture, though. So that's good.

edit: I only went because it seemed from the promo they might talk about some of the enhanced perception technologies Intel are working on, which is relevant to my research interests. I guess if I'd actually been interested in getting a job there I might have gritted my teeth.

tynic on
  • Options
    jesus

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Was there at least free food?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    And here I was thinking that Samsung were just steamrolling the competition at transistor manufacturing tech.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

yes, at least there was pizza

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Intel, pro pineapple on pizza?

• Options
    Hey talk shit about Intel but don't talk shit about pineapple on pizza

Also Intel announced their new product: Google GlassesVaunt yesterday

• Options

Intel, pro pineapple on pizza?

The pizza queue was enormous so I didn't actually check it out. But it was from this place, so they had all sorts of crap.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Looking at getting one of the new 12” iPad Pros for drawing purposes.

Anyone know of any particularly decent protective cases that don’t bulk up the size too much?

• Options
    Hey talk shit about Intel but don't talk shit about pineapple on pizza

Also Intel announced their new product: Google GlassesVaunt yesterday

Please note, I love pineapple on pizza. A well-made "Hawaiian" pizza can be very difficult to beat at times. I even like pineapple on a "supreme", if I'm ordering for myself.

• Options
    I would honestly just rather eat some pineapple after the pizza.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Pineapple on pizza sucks a chunky poop, thank you and god bless.

• Options
    I love a good slice of pineapple on a burger

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pineapple in general gives me a throat full of hives, but at this point I'm in favor of pineapple on pizza just out of spite.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Pineapple makes a good flavor counterpoint to a meat heavy pizza.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I just flat out don't like pineapple.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    And here I was thinking that Samsung were just steamrolling the competition at transistor manufacturing tech.

Nah, not really. I think Intel, TSMC, and Samsung are roughly equivalent in performance at this point, ignoring the number they put on the process tech for marketing reason. GloFlo (ex-AMD) is probably a year behind that group.

Intel was legit way ahead until about 2 years ago. They've been having a lot of trouble with their "10nm" and "7nm" processes.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Now, this is a ridiculous mouse.

It's a mouse with a joystick on the side:
    Zlx3dNx.gif
    and a joystick in the mouse itself.
    0hFO3V8.gif

• Options
    That's neat.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I just feel like it'd be inconvenient

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How about this surrealistic Jigglypuff controller?

Now you can even play in your nightmares.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I use a standard logitech mouse with two thumb buttons, but I'd really like an ambidextrous version with thumb buttons on either side. It seems this is a no exist thing

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    I use a standard logitech mouse with two thumb buttons, but I'd really like an ambidextrous version with thumb buttons on either side. It seems this is a no exist thing

Yeah it seems the tech market just completely ignores the existence of left handed users.

All my left handed friends use the mouse with the right hand. The ambidextrous mice seem to be really garbage too.

e: unless you like that futuristic shit:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Professional-Wireless-Ambidextrous/dp/B01CEFEMFW

bowen on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Really would like a regular mouse for my right hand, and some wireless joycon-like thing for my left hand to have a good analog stick/buttons/triggers to replace WASD, pinky finger shift/ctrl contortion keyboard stuff.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    mouse control is fine. wasd is probably the least comfortable control scheme in the world. I also have short fingers though so reaching for the modifier buttons really sucks.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah it seems the tech market just completely ignores the existence of left handed users.

All my left handed friends use the mouse with the right hand. The ambidextrous mice seem to be really garbage too.

e: unless you like that futuristic shit:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Professional-Wireless-Ambidextrous/dp/B01CEFEMFW

I have this mouse and it's pretty legit, and yeah you can set the thumb buttons for either side. Or both if you're absurd.

• Options
    Really would like a regular mouse for my right hand, and some wireless joycon-like thing for my left hand to have a good analog stick/buttons/triggers to replace WASD, pinky finger shift/ctrl contortion keyboard stuff.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Orbweaver-Chroma-Mechanical-Adjustable/dp/B013P0HW7K/ ?

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Is there a decent wireless mouse that doesn’t look ridiculous

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I use the Logitech MX Master whatever its called. Great mouse

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    as a left hander, I've never even considered using a mouse with my left hand...

look what conditioning can do!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

https://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-mice/razer-taipan is what I have (I'm left-handed) and it works fine for me.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Having a left hand analog style control while using a mouse is actually one of the reasons I'm frothing at the mouth to get the VR steam knuckles when they come out. Need to type for a sec or otherwise press a key with your left hand? No problem, just let go of the controller. It stays in your palm though

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

https://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-mice/razer-taipan is what I have (I'm left-handed) and it works fine for me.

That looks really nice, cheers! I might have to give up my stolid devotion to wireless at last. Mainly I need to be able to switch hands to prevent shoulder strain

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I found something that will actually make me remember to use the VPN I pay for for basically no reason...

The olympics.

God damn it NBC

This discussion has been closed.