Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    you fools

4eCkeq0.jpg

I've added a keyboard to my mouse

and also some other buttons

and also some leds

and also some lava

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Back when I played WoW I kind of wanted to try one of those, but I'm sure it's probably super uncomfortable to use in practice

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I have one like that but the buttons act more like a thumb rest

I use a whole three of them, pg up, pg dwn, and f5

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I have G600 and having a numpad on the mouse rules

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ya1kCHwl.jpg

sJ145zSl.jpg

XRhRV4Wl.jpg

Hxke0Fzl.jpg

pigZ3bKl.jpg

eNWeqcpl.jpg

s3zoCnsl.jpg

HlfNvq8l.jpg

QZmF8yNl.jpg

Y3PRyxwl.jpg

I love

dumb mice

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I exclusively use MMO mouses now

They're tough to get used to, but now I can't not have those buttons

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to try that FPSGun mouse.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I love that silly cyber pad thing (I think it's called a Nostromo?) It's so dumb but I can almost rationalise the use case in a couple of scenarios

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Y3PRyxwl.jpg

you just know there's like one person out there who to this day types on one of these things at like 130 wpm.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the nostromo is like...one of the least stupid gaming input devices, really

I mean, except for the fact that it's not being manufactured anymore and therefore it's hard to find a new one for less than like four hundo

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I love to think that somewhere an ergonomics expert is looking at those pictures and quietly having a nervous breakdown.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've got a R.A.T. 7 and to be honest with you, it's fucking great. It's not quite as crazy as that thing in the pictures, but it's really smooth and accurate, and extremely comfortable. And super reliable! Apparently these are supposed to be shitty garbage, but mine is still trucking along flawlessly over ten thousand hours and 7+ years later...

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    But what if your mouse.... Is also a phone

https://youtu.be/6bSoeKMNBgI

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I mean, except for the fact that it's not being manufactured anymore and therefore it's hard to find a new one for less than like four hundo

I actually got one, and it was such a good idea, BUT
    If you look closely at the picture, you notice the Up arrow (the “W” position on a normal keyboard) is in the top row of the Nostromo. It would have been such a good product if there were one more row of keys above, to take the position of number keys. So many games require number keys above the WASD! You were so close, Razer!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

If you look closely at the picture, you notice the Up arrow (the “W” position on a normal keyboard) is in the top row of the Nostromo. It would have been such a good product if there were one more row of keys above, to take the position of number keys. So many games require number keys above the WASD! You were so close, Razer!

yeah it's otherwise a pretty defensible peripheral, I think

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Obviously the number keys are supposed to be on your mouse.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Basic 2 button mouse with the fire gesture addon in Firefox is what I use. I have about 12 different gestures memorized and it saves a lot of clicking and typing. I use an Ubuntu dual boot to keep my command line skills sharp.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    But what if your mouse.... Is also a phone

https://youtu.be/6bSoeKMNBgI

I feel like a mouse phone is one step below Maxwell Smart’s shoe phone.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm still dark at google for removing backspace as the keyboard shortcut for 'back'. It's been baked into windows since forever, why get rid of it?

(well, it was 'up one' in windows until MS decided that file explorer needed 'back' and 'forward' buttons so then it became 'back' and that was annoying too, but to a lesser degree)

pimento on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I still hit backspace instinctively and rage quietly when nothing happens

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

yeah it's otherwise a pretty defensible peripheral, I think

Oh hey, turns out they did just that after all: https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver-chroma https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-v2

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Veldrin wrote: »

I raged hard and then realised that the new shortcut is better and just grumbled quietly

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

I raged hard and then realised that the new shortcut is better and just grumbled quietly

Alt-left? I disagree, but that's probably because backspace is burnt into my fingers and I still use it everywhere else.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Alt-left? I disagree, but that's probably because backspace is burnt into my fingers and I still use it everywhere else.

Alt-left sucks because it’s twice as fiddly and you’re constantly at risk of resizing your window by mistake

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I own a domain name based off my real name, but as a .net because the .com was taken. I owned for a year or 2, let it lapse for a while, but then renewed it last summer. Today I got an email from domainnamesoutlet.com with an offer to buy the .com address for $149 and some link for more info. Not even sure I want it, I don't really use my site much (yet) although I do have it setup-ish. It's not worth it, right?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    is there a safe way to clean coffee out of a mechanical keyboard switch?

spilled a small splash of coffee on my numpad which somehow went down into the keyboard, then up through the key, then down into the switch???? impressive. thankfully only one key was affected

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I own a domain name based off my real name, but as a .net because the .com was taken. I owned for a year or 2, let it lapse for a while, but then renewed it last summer. Today I got an email from domainnamesoutlet.com with an offer to buy the .com address for $149 and some link for more info. Not even sure I want it, I don't really use my site much (yet) although I do have it setup-ish. It's not worth it, right?

Doesn't sound like it if you're not even using the one you have.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    is there a safe way to clean coffee out of a mechanical keyboard switch?

spilled a small splash of coffee on my numpad which somehow went down into the keyboard, then up through the key, then down into the switch???? impressive. thankfully only one key was affected

Desolder the switch and replace it!

I dunno about getting into them...

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    can't you disassemble mechanical keyboard switches? I would think you could more easily than a membrane keyboard.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Usually the tops of all the switches come off. Kind of depends on how its constructed I think though. Maybe dropping some rubbing alcohol in would be enough?

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular

Oh i have one of those in storage lemme see what ebay says.
    Sponsored link $433.30 !! Next 5 links are 20 bucks. :(

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    looks like cherry mx switches are pretty easy to open actually. though if they are soldered on you might want the tools they make just to make it easier.

I imagine then you'd just clean off the contacts in there with some rubbing alcohol. be careful not to lose the spring.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm still dark at google for removing backspace as the keyboard shortcut for 'back'. It's been baked into windows since forever, why get rid of it?

(well, it was 'up one' in windows until MS decided that file explorer needed 'back' and 'forward' buttons so then it became 'back' and that was annoying too, but to a lesser degree)

Hard disagree. The library computers still use Edge for some goddamn reason, and I'm constantly having to console people who hit backspace when they weren't in a typing field and lost twenty minutes of work when they tried to erase a mistake on a job application. The backspace key sometimes erasing one letter OR all progress on the current page is a hate crime against low-skill users, and I hope it dies, in hell, forever.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Hard disagree. The library computers still use Edge for some goddamn reason, and I'm constantly having to console people who hit backspace when they weren't in a typing field and lost twenty minutes of work because they weren't in a typing field when they tried to erase a mistake on a job application. The backspace key sometimes erasing one letter OR all progress on the current page is a hate crime against low-skill users, and I hope it dies, in hell, forever.

GIT GUD

(yea I've done that too...)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm more surprised that Edge doesn't keep that stuff in memory when you hit Forward to go back to the page you just left.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Hard disagree. The library computers still use Edge for some goddamn reason, and I'm constantly having to console people who hit backspace when they weren't in a typing field and lost twenty minutes of work because they weren't in a typing field when they tried to erase a mistake on a job application. The backspace key sometimes erasing one letter OR all progress on the current page is a hate crime against low-skill users, and I hope it dies, in hell, forever.

Yeah that's the thing. Like, it sucks to learn a new bit of muscle memory but by any reasonable metric the backspace shortcut was about as horrible as it gets and Chrome were right to intervene with "fuck it, this flat out doesn't work now"

• Options

Yeah that's the thing. Like, it sucks to learn a new bit of muscle memory but by any reasonable metric the backspace shortcut was about as horrible as it gets and Chrome were right to intervene with "fuck it, this flat out doesn't work now"

I'd like the option to keep it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    speaking of muscle memory, my laptop just decided to stop talking to its own keyboard, which took me a minute to notice because i was just clicking around the internet wondering vaguely why I couldn't open new tabs. Anyway as soon as I realized what was going on, I tried to quit all my programs and restart the computer ... using the keyboard.

Took me an embarrassingly long time to realise what was going wrong with that plan.

also at some point I should probably get a new laptop, but I don't feel like I can afford one just now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That feels like when you misplace your sunglasses and spend an hour looking for them and then get your friends to help you and you start freaking out but it turns out they were really on your head the whole time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Could be that just your keyboard needs to be replaced. Those are usually pretty cheap, actually.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    laptop keyboard

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.