Options

[Freedom of the Press] Fascists really don't like it, but y'know, too bad.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    First Amendment means it’s the first to go right?

He’s citing an article from a right wing conspiracy site that complains how news notifications are comprised mainly of actual news sites and not opinion sites as a bad thing.

Google search results for “Trump News” shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake New Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of...
    ....results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!

And Trump commits another felony by deleting these tweets.

This was settled in court, iirc. They said that they would take appropriate measures to preserve deleted tweets, but would not elaborate, so it wasn't clear whether or not they just think @RealPressSecBot is an official government account.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    When you see just how much of an echo chamber we all generally subscribe ourselves to, it gives a bit of perspective out of how people lose sight of where the middleground is.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611807/this-is-what-filter-bubbles-actually-look-like/

From the co-citations map on that page, you could conceivable classify CNN as slightly left of center based on the fact that a large insular chunk of the right has retreated from citing 'traditional' media and have enveloped themselves in the safety of Breitbart and Fox News.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Getting outside the scope of the thread here

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    The fact that I cant play around with any of their maps is really depressing. Is there a link to an interactive view anywhere?

• Options
    Is this within the scope?

Trump’s economic adviser: ‘We’re taking a look’ at whether Google searches should be regulated
    The Trump administration is “taking a look” at whether Google and its search engine should be regulated by the government, Larry Kudlow, President Trump’s economic adviser, said Tuesday outside the White House.

“We’ll let you know,” Kudlow said. “We’re taking a look at it.”

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Trump’s economic adviser: ‘We’re taking a look’ at whether Google searches should be regulated
    The Trump administration is “taking a look” at whether Google and its search engine should be regulated by the government, Larry Kudlow, President Trump’s economic adviser, said Tuesday outside the White House.

Jesus fuck that is worrying as hell.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That's internet policy I'd say

But also pretty chilling on speech!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Wouldn't the "correct" conservative response be to patronize a search engine that has results that you like, not control and regulate a business that says thing that hurt your fee-fees?

Snowflakes.

Cog on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trump is just taking a step forward in his worldview that anything that doesn't just shower him in lavish praise is biased. Complaining about the bias isn't enough, now it's time to start taking actions to correct it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Eh. I suspect it's basically a meaningless press release to placate their insane boss. Basically like his military parade thing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Horrifying that "they are just placating a crazy person" is how our government runs with constitutional protections

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the president doesn't actually have the power to do stuff like that.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the president doesn't actually have the power to do stuff like that.

This administration has demonstrated the President has as much power as he wants unless Congress acts.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Jragghen wrote: »

This administration has demonstrated the President has as much power as he wants unless Congress acts.

I mean, in this case, Google is probably not going to let an idiot dictate their algorithms.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

When I was a child and I wanted something or something to happen my mother's default non-committal response to avoid the fallout of outright saying no was "we'll see." Larry Kudlow is "we'll see"-ing the fucking president of the god damn United States.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wait until he does a google image search for “idiot”

I wasn’t kidding, by the way. I encourage everyone to do a google image search for “idiot”

*searches Google images for “idiot”*

HOLY SHIT!!!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Not entirely. Any direct act of censorship of Google or other sites like FB, or of news agencies, would almost certainly result in a court challenge. And while SCOTUS has gotten worse I am not convinced that they've quite reached "fuck the 1st amendment" levels yet. Could be wrong, though.

edit - additionally, we should not write off grassroots/mass political movements as powerless in these discussions

edit2- Google also has enough money to bribe some of Congress to act

Kaputa on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Google is protected by both constitutional and case law from having this occur. As they are not the only search engine and are a private entity, doubly so.

Congress could try to pass a law, but their current cohort has pretty much made the case that the government cannot regulate the internet service providers to keep a fair shake of things. Regulating google would mean going opposed to that action which would probably cause a court action against one or both.

Pretty much this horror show only would work if they had taken actions to protect net neutrality and even then would be a pretty hard sell. With their dismantling of net neutrality, they have destroyed any hope of their own case here.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Google is protected by both constitutional and case law from having this occur. As they are not the only search engine and are a private entity, doubly so.

Congress could try to pass a law, but their current cohort has pretty much made the case that the government cannot regulate the internet service providers to keep a fair shake of things. Regulating google would mean going opposed to that action which would probably cause a court action against one or both.

Pretty much this horror show only would work if they had taken actions to protect net neutrality and even then would be a pretty hard sell. With their dismantling of net neutrality, they have destroyed any hope of their own case here.
    Also, the current cohort have pretty much shown they couldn't legislate themselves a group lunch.

That's part of the reason Trump (and Obama before him, in the other direction) tries to do as much as they can without needing to involve Congress.

I mean, it's been almost two years, and in that time, even this historically inept White House has done significantly more than a Republican controlled Congress.

So nothing is going to happen legislatively.

• Options

Not really. It's more that the checks on the powers the President has are meaningless if Congress doesn't choose to act. Which was entirely predictable.

Inventing new powers is not going as well for them.

The difficulty for them here is not Congress stopping him from censoring Google, it's how does the executive even start censoring Google in the first place. What agency do they use? What technology? How do they force compliance? etc, etc, etc. The nitty-gritty details here prevent them from taking action.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Eh. I suspect it's basically a meaningless press release to placate their insane boss. Basically like his military parade thing.
    I would wager that the DOD can sandbag a little more effectively than one Larry Kudlow.

Voter fraud commission might be a better comparisson. I don't doubt the determination of sycophants on the NEC, I just have no faith in their ability to close on this.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Wait until he does a google image search for “idiot”

I wasn’t kidding, by the way. I encourage everyone to do a google image search for “idiot”

*searches Google images for “idiot”*

HOLY SHIT!!!

I know, right?!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Not really. It's more that the checks on the powers the President has are meaningless if Congress doesn't choose to act. Which was entirely predictable.

The difficulty for them here is not Congress stopping him from censoring Google, it's how does the executive even start censoring Google in the first place. What agency do they use? What technology? How do they force compliance? etc, etc, etc. The nitty-gritty details here prevent them from taking action.

My suspicion is he'd try to target visa extensions with executive orders and other purely punitive measures. You're talking about a guy that had to be talked into then back into putting a flag a half-staff for recently deceased political opponent.

God help google if they need DoJ approval for any acquisitions

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

My suspicion is he'd try to target visa extensions with executive orders and other purely punitive measures. You're talking about a guy that had to be talked into then back into putting a flag a half-staff for recently deceased political opponent.

God help google if they need DoJ approval for any acquisitions

That's not actually gonna do shit though, which is the whole point.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    We are now at the point of videos with scary music attacking Google for bias.

This is kind of just sad.

• Options
    He can google from his foreign intelligence surveillance device/unsecured phone, so he can drive himself into a frenzy a lot easier and more consistently with this issue. Doesn't have to wait for the White Power Hours on Fox News every night.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Maybe Google took him at his word, and knew that it'd be the most watched SotU ever, anyway. So why bother putting some advertising there? Everyone was gonna watch anyway.

It's not just vanity. It's not just narcissism. It's neediness. It's why he does the rallies. It's not just that he wants the adulation. It's that he seems sad when he's not getting them.

It's pathetic.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It remains amusing the petty and stupid things that bother him.

I am aware that “petty and stupid” are his trademarks.

My point remains.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

So I just looked up those dates in the wayback machine, and I was kinda surprised to find that they're accurate.

To be clear, I'm not surprised they didn't do it, because who the fuck wants to watch him flail around in Congress, I'm just surprised they didn't lie about it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MorganV wrote: »
    Maybe Google took him at his word, and knew that it'd be the most watched SotU ever, anyway. So why bother putting some advertising there? Everyone was gonna watch anyway.

It's not just vanity. It's not just narcissism. It's neediness. It's why he does the rallies. It's not just that he wants the adulation. It's that he seems sad when he's not getting them.

It's pathetic.
    Google doesn't even need to be snarky.

Google didn't advertise it because it wasn't a SOTU speech. Trump does not understand what a SOTU speech is.

NBC reporter:

Couscous on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there was anyone in the Obama white house that made sure things like that google advert for the SOTU were done.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Who doesn't want Trump to pick a fight with Google? Lets have "This is kind of sad" be the new "Doesn't she look tired".
    Yeah, Trump, get into a popularity fight with the fucking moderator. I'm sure you'll win.
    #MakeAOLGreatAgain

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

https://gizmodo.com/google-calls-bs-on-trumps-claim-it-blacklisted-his-2018-1828701483

My favorite part is that Google refuted this horseshit by posting an image from the_donald subbreddit.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    This whole Google thing seems to be roughly half Trump is an idiot and half working the ref. A far as Republican ploys go, it's certainly not a new one.

• Options
    Yeah, the first speech is not a SotU

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Not bothering to post them here but yes, Trump is ranting about the “fake media” again. Also about “fake books” about him, filled with stories from “anonymous sources”, which I assume means Bob Woodward’s book is hitting the shelves soon.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

NBC news reporter.

Hmm, that phrasing seems awfully familiar. I wonder where he got it?

• Options
    I hope all the alt-right doorknobs who are super incensed about this made-up google stuff post outrage videos on their Youtube channels.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Not bothering to post them here but yes, Trump is ranting about the “fake media” again. Also about “fake books” about him, filled with stories from “anonymous sources”, which I assume means Bob Woodward’s book is hitting the shelves soon.

He also wants CNN's both to get fired

https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-45357329

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    maybe the alt right will stop using the internet wouldnt that be grand