Options

[Freedom of the Press] Fascists really don't like it, but y'know, too bad.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    For those that thought that yesterday would give Trump even a little bit of pause, you were wrong:
    It was only a matter of time before that initial response would be shown to be a load of horse shit. Whenever he has a non-biting response to something, we basically have to wait just 24 hours before he can't help himself and attack the victims of anything.

He really doesn't understand how inappropriate it is for a POTUS to speak negatively of the press. What weight it can carry as far as influence goes.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    For those that thought that yesterday would give Trump even a little bit of pause, you were wrong:
    It was only a matter of time before that initial response would be shown to be a load of horse shit. Whenever he has a non-biting response to something, we basically have to wait just 24 hours before he can't help himself and attack the victims of anything.

He really doesn't understand how inappropriate it is for a POTUS to speak negatively of the press. What weight it can carry as far as influence goes.

Or he does and hopes to see his supporters kill his critics. This is man who has made a habit of palling around with murderous dictators while shunning and attacking democratic leaders across the world. Don't pretend he's innocent.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Jim Acosta demands that Sanders starts naming names if she's going to call the press enemies of the people:

C-SPAN is a cable service that broadcasts government operations.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They should have been taking her to task on her bullshit a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They should have been taking her to task on her bullshit a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

It had to be made personal first for them to notice.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

If the next journalist there isn't going to repeat the same question because it was never answered, and every other journalist repeating the process until someone in this horrible administration actually has to answer a fucking question, what does it matter?

There's nothing Trump wants more than to stay in the headlines. He's an attention-seeking egomaniac. If the media would grow a pair, unite together and agree to not cover him, he'd have Fox and nothing else.

No, this isn't holding them to task because they still avoided the task and everyone else just let it slide.

It's fucking infuriating.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

If the next journalist there isn't going to repeat the same question because it was never answered, and every other journalist repeating the process until someone in this horrible administration actually has to answer a fucking question, what does it matter?

There's nothing Trump wants more than to stay in the headlines. He's an attention-seeking egomaniac. If the media would grow a pair, unite together and agree to not cover him, he'd have Fox and nothing else.

No, this isn't holding them to task because they still avoided the task and everyone else just let it slide.

Or better yet, they could grow a pair, unite together and agree to cover him.

He's been getting away with a ton of things that he shouldn't be able to get away with (including winning the election in the first place) because there's an implicit agreement across all media to distort coverage of him to make him appear far more presidential than he really is.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Or better yet, they could grow a pair, unite together and agree to cover him.

He's been getting away with a ton of things that he shouldn't be able to get away with (including winning the election in the first place) because there's an implicit agreement across all media to distort coverage of him to make him appear far more presidential than he really is.

Sure, if they're willing to stop sugar coating everything and finally call a spade a spade with regards to his bullshit, I could get on board with that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There were a lot of questions about the White House's culpability, fortunately.

Of course, Sanders also claimed Trump won the popular vote, so...

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    While it may only be temporary while a full time replacement is sought, Al Roker got his old job back today after Megyn Kelly’s firing.

A silver lining, at least. Kelly being replaced by a black dude and Arab-American (Hoda Kotb) has a bit of karmic justice to it.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man, sanders, "the president is referring to fake news outlets as the enemy of the people"

So, ah, he calls CNN fake news all the time, so he's is calling them specifically the enemy of the people

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Borrowed from the SE++ Midterms thread:

It would appear that following today's press conference, the White House has made Acosta persona non grata.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Seems like someone feels invincible.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Seems like someone feels invincible.

now with video!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man, sanders, "the president is referring to fake news outlets as the enemy of the people"

So, ah, he calls CNN fake news all the time, so he's is calling them specifically the enemy of the people

Trump literally said "CNN is the enemy of the people" today.

• Options
    So if I'm following this right, they've just full on revoked his pass

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I'm guessing Sanders tweet is the administration's line behind revoking his pass

EDIT: Scrolling down, it is indeed their reasoning:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I'm guessing Sanders tweet is the administration's line behind revoking his pass

I'm assuming this is from when the intern tried to take the mic from him.

Was there video footage? Should make it relatively straightforward in a room with several dozen reporters.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    There is video footage, and as anyone could have predicted, it shows they are lying quite shamelessly.

He is pointing at the President making a gesture, looking in that direction. She tries to reach under his arm to grab the microphone at the same moment he brings his arm down in a gesture of emphasis. His arm lightly touches hers.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    There is video footage, and as anyone could have predicted, it shows they are lying quite shamelessly.

He is pointing at the President making a gesture, looking in that direction. She tries to reach under his arm to grab the microphone at the same moment he brings his arm down in a gesture of emphasis. His arm lightly touches hers.

And then, noticing her, says "Oh! Pardon me ma'am" before continuing to ask his question.

This plus the video of him with the agent taking his badge certainly paint a picture.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Archangle wrote: »

Was there video footage? Should make it relatively straightforward in a room with several dozen reporters.

EDIT: Ink found it before I could

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular

Haha. The second tweet in Sanders' thread..
    This conduct is absolutely unacceptable. It is also completely disrespectful to the reporter’s colleagues not to allow them an opportunity to ask a question. President Trump has given the press more access than any President in history.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

This is the video of the supposed incident
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmUAb4Ot_Iw

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The "real" press, ie FOX, not the fake press who are all Enemies of the People

(Also the NYT, on alternate days when they're sucking up to him, Jared and Ivanka, and not "failing")

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    God, they're the worst fucking people.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Great, another round of bluster and chest-puffing from two self serving factions.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Between this and the firing of Sessions today I kind of expect Jim Acosta to be the first of many. Ask a question they don't like, get kicked out.

It would not surprise me if the last two years of his Presidency are nothing but continuous fussy temper tantrums like these exhibited today.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Would an ACLU lawsuit against the White House be possible here?

And just as importantly, is Sarah Huckabee's tweet admissable as evidence that the White House is willfully denying first amendment rights to a member of the press? I ask because she specifically cites "today's incident," and the only thing that happened was Jim Acosta asking Trump questions. He didn't raise his voice or get snarky so even if some shill-ass judge heard this argument, they'd have a hard time trying to say Acosta deserved it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Between this and the firing of Sessions today I kind of expect Jim Acosta to be the first of many. Ask a question they don't like, get kicked out.

It would not surprise me if the last two years of his Presidency are nothing but continuous fussy temper tantrums like these exhibited today.

He's only gonna get worse as the investigations into him ramp up.

• Options
    BTW via Raw Story, surprising nobody, when you go back to the video for immediate review you can see that Jim didn't actually lay a hand on the staffer while she in fact got ahold of him many times. Not that this fucking matters.

Also I never imagined this thread would get so directly relevant again. Usually it's shit Trump is saying and not what he's doing.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hey, I was just reading about the ‘Ship of Theseus’ tactic the right uses!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    jfc what a petulant fucking man-baby

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    “We’ll never tolerate a reporter accidentally bumping his arm into a young woman, but by golly will we support rapists and molesters like Kavanaugh for Supreme Court and Roy Moore for Senate!”

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I still don't understand why the next question isn't "I want to know the answer to Jim's question" "Jim do you have a follow up"

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I said it in the SE thread but if the major media giants can't present a united front over this then I honestly feel they're beyond any point of return

It is such an easily disproven lie and such a flagrant attack on the freedom of the press that if they can't stop stirring the pot for ratings over this and take a stand then they never will and Trump and Pals will just keep chipping away further at the first amendment

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    This press conference seems to be as a result of the press talking among themselves and deciding "We should all challenge Trump on his lies." So I don't know where the cynicism is coming from. Isn't this what we wanted them to do? And it's clearly getting under Trump's skin.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    “We’ll never tolerate a reporter accidentally bumping his arm into a young woman, but by golly will we support rapists and molesters like Kavanaugh for Supreme Court and Roy Moore for Senate!”

She's the one that was touching him and getting all up in his face. It's not like he grabbed her by the pussy or something. Hypocrites.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This is the admin that joyously celebrated a member of congress that assaulted a reporter!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Xaviar wrote: »

Haha. The second tweet in Sanders' thread..
    This conduct is absolutely unacceptable. It is also completely disrespectful to the reporter’s colleagues not to allow them an opportunity to ask a question. President Trump has given the press more access than any President in history.

*ahem* You don't say.

Donald Trump Mocks Japanese Reporter: ‘I Really Don’t Understand You’
    The president interjected, asking, “Where are you from, please?”

When the reporter responded with “Japan,” Trump told him to “say hello to Shinzo,” referencing the country’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe.

“I’m sure he’s happy about tariffs on his cars,” Trump said.

When the reporter attempted to finish his question about trade, the president responded, saying, “I really don’t understand you.”

Trump eventually answered, claiming Japan has treated the U.S. “very unfairly” when it comes to the auto trade.

No one's been better to the Press. That's the bar to beat.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    I still don't understand why the next question isn't "I want to know the answer to Jim's question" "Jim do you have a follow up"
    The next reporter didn't get to ask his question apparently.
    The president then moved to address the next questioner, NBC News White House correspondent Peter Alexander, who defended Acosta.

"In Jim's defense, I've traveled with him and watched him, he's a diligent reporter who busts his butt like the rest of us," Alexander said.

"Well I'm not a big fan of yours either," Trump said.