As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I will be making five pumpkin pies and one chocolate bourbon pecan pie.

I am not 100% sure about how I'm going to transport so many pies on Thursday, but we'll see.

Some sort of modified cake sledge?

m9dag78q9shy.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is the canon explanation for Lex's pink and green body suit "cocaine?"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Who wants to actually try this?
    Your new favorite Thanksgiving appetizer: brussels sprouts sliders
    And I'm not asking like "hell yeah who wants to," I mean, this is more of a dare.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that looks delicious

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yo I'd eat the hell out of b sprouts in most applications

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would try the hell out of those and probably love them, but I can't call them sliders. I just.. can't.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I was gonna say Brussels with pancetta buuuut... Brussels with balsamic maybe?

also 100% in favor of Parker House rolls no question

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    grrmusha wrote: »
    I wish I could get sunchokes here, I found an amazing-sounding recipe that calls for sunchokes.
    I got sunchokes few days ago among some homegrown fruits and veggies I ordered. It was my first time trying them. Got any simple recipes?

I guesss that depends on your definition of simple?

this is a good recipe and so are basically all of Ottolenghi's recipes, so his website is a safe bet. There are at least three more there.

The recipe I was looking at making is this one

Saveur has a recipe for sauteed sunchokes and also sunchoke hummus but I haven't tried them.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When all else falls, roast them in garlic. Sunchokes are awesome though.
    and so, so farty

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    some of those ingredients aren't common or easy to find here, and I used up lacinato kale today in chilli :D that salad looks amazing! missing a few ingredients to make it. i'll think of something. read that you can make soup/cream soup with it, that's a a good idea since I don't have a large amount.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    reheated the leftover turkey and stuffing tonight and it was amaaaazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My apartment is currently heated to 75 degrees so my stupid bread dough will rise properly, and it sucks. Has anyone had success with any particular brand of proofing box? I love making bread, but I want to return my apartment to the arctic wasteland my Slavic physiology demands.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm doing the turkey breast in a roaster pan

What's a good brining and roasting recipe? I had a really good one a few years ago, but I don't have the cookbook stuffed full of magazine pages and all that anymore

Can anyone help me out with a good brine?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

What's a good brining and roasting recipe? I had a really good one a few years ago, but I don't have the cookbook stuffed full of magazine pages and all that anymore

Mr. Brown will not steer you wrong on this matter

• Options
    roasting in garlic is a solution to all of life's problems.

almost.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    roasting in garlic is a solution to all of life's problems.

almost.

the rest can just be covered by butter

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    *AHEM*
    garlic butter

• Options
    *AHEM*
    garlic butter

Oh I thought that was implied.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    There used to be this Italian place downtown that sold garlic knots that were literally swimming in garlic butter. You'd pull a knot out of the container and the butter, garlic, and basil flakes would rush to fill the void. I miss that place

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My apartment is currently heated to 75 degrees so my stupid bread dough will rise properly, and it sucks. Has anyone had success with any particular brand of proofing box? I love making bread, but I want to return my apartment to the arctic wasteland my Slavic physiology demands.

Put the dough in a large bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth. Put the bowl into a pre-warmed to the lowest temp you can set oven, and turn the heat off.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Oh, this looks nice

Thank you

• Options
    *slathering myself in garlic butter*

hope it works.

• Options
    *slathering myself in garlic butter*

hope it works.

I fail to see any downsides to this situation.

• Options
    arctic wasteland my Slavic physiology demands.
    are you russian?

• Options
    nah, he's just in a bit of a hurry

• Options
    god dammit xaquin go home

• Options
    edited November 2017
    arctic wasteland my Slavic physiology demands.
    are you russian?

Mostly Slovak-American. What I once heard described as "redneck Czechs," which tracks distressingly well with my dad's generation of the family.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Oh, this looks nice

Thank you

No worries.

And if you haven't gotten one yet, fetch ye a probe thermometer! They make this whole turkey thing WAY easier. Foolish is the man who waits for that imbedded popper thing to go off.

• Options
    I bought a three pound turkey breast

There's only six of us, and we're having ham too

I was going to make it at my apartment (this the Crock-Pot idea), but I hate my kitchen, so I'm making it at my parents place

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Cooking! I'm tasked to make an extra gravy recipe that doesn't use the drippings. Any suggestions?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I was reading one recipe and they called sunchoke a farthichoke.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Cooking! I'm tasked to make an extra gravy recipe that doesn't use the drippings. Any suggestions?

@Bedigunz

Mince 1/4 onion, 1 celery rib, 1 carrot. Melt about 4 tablespoons of butter in a small but tall sided sauce pan, and gently sautee the mirepoix (minced veg) until it is softened and starting to brown slightly. Add ~1/4 cup of flour and whisk until the flour is completely incorporated and not powdery at all. Slowly add a quart of chicken stock or broth while whisking constantly (this helps eliminate lumps from the flour); take this step slow you don't need to rush. Once the stock has been incorporated, add some fresh or dried thyme, bay leaf, a few cracks of fresh pepper and salt to taste. Simmer gently while stirring occasionally for maybe 10 minutes or so, though it can go longer if you want a thicker gravy. Run the gravy through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of any lumps and the bits of veg you added from the beginning.

If you have vegetarians at the table, you can sub vegetable stock for chicken, and if you have vegans you can use olive oil in place of butter.

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I made 22 and a half dozen Kringla to bring to Thanksgiving lunch tomorrow.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We don't do turkey day here, but there's no rule against a thursday night porchetta roast

444777aj341d.jpg

• Options
    well now I'm hungry thanks tynic

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Mini pumpkin pies are cooling on the rack, the Turkey is in the smoker. Now time to clean the house a bit and get a shower in somewhere.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    I am beginning work soon on sides! We have a turkey that's been roasting all night, a smaller turkey we are going to basically crawfish boil, spices and all, some pies, potato salad, shrimp and oyster and tasso dressing is done, and I'm starting on baked Mac and green bean casserole and knockoff Popeyes biscuits in a couple minutes

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We're eating later than usual this year since my wife has to work until at least 5. Getting ready to cook a pumpkin pie right now. Doing a fried turkey this year so that will be a bit later. My wife made her favorite sweet potato casserole last night so we'll heat those up later and do some mashed potatoes as well. Creamed corn will get done much later along with green beans with shallots and pancetta. My mom is making her stuffing and bringing it. I'll work on a cranberry chutney after the pie since that can rest until later.

New this year is a pumpkin and chèvre lasagna that I can make in the slow cooker. I've never tried it before but the book I found it in has been consistently great.

• Options
    Weather is kind of shitty today so I had to put on the precision engineered rain cover for my smoker.

scru989xf0mc.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Oh my God the cheese sauce for this fucking macaroni. I want to drink it

If anyone wants the recipe:
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/macaroni-cheese/

The powdered mustard really adds something special

Erin The Red on
This discussion has been closed.