Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I need to make cornbread for a party tomorrow, and to do this I must go to the grocery store

Problem is I wanna make jalapeno cornbread and jalapenos are staggeringly difficult to track down in this country

Do I give up and just make regular cornbread?

do birds eye chili cornbread

*stomp stomp stomp*

But I want jalapeeeeeeenos

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I need to make cornbread for a party tomorrow, and to do this I must go to the grocery store

Problem is I wanna make jalapeno cornbread and jalapenos are staggeringly difficult to track down in this country

Do I give up and just make regular cornbread?

do birds eye chili cornbread

*stomp stomp stomp*

But I want jalapeeeeeeenos

If they'd get there fresh and overnight I'd send you some, but until we can teleport things I'm afraid you gotta
    suck it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    oh dang I still can't find my colander either!

I also intend to thaw that salmon filet this weekend and try to sear it on the skillet. I need a side dish though.

rice pilaf with some sauteed corn?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    oh dang I still can't find my colander either!

I also intend to thaw that salmon filet this weekend and try to sear it on the skillet. I need a side dish though.

rice pilaf with some sauteed corn?

This sounds good yeah. I will take the shortcut and use ricearoni though probably.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    That's it

My girlfriend took me to a fancy restaurant for my birthday today, and I had the best lamb I've ever had, and of course it was done sous vide

It's finally time for me to break down and drop 50 bucks on a quality thermometer so I can do this myself

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm making andouille sausage tonight or tomorrow as it were

Might do chorizo though

Going to dice up onion, a pepper, break up my fresh sausage, and sautee it with some poblanos. Take that and incorporate it into cornbread and whdn it's done baking, top it with a dippy egg and possibly some sour cream

I went with chorizo since you don't need to smoke it

It's in the fridge in little chunks now. later this evening I'll partially freeze it, grind it, and fry it up to put in the corn bread

can't wait!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It begins...

mPvjwcCl.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    It begins...

mPvjwcCl.jpg

okay where am I buying tickets to

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    OK, bought a pair of Springerle molds yesterday, now I just need to start gathering the normal ingredients for these kinds of cookies. Got oil of Anise, need to get some Baker's Ammonia, and a lot of Powdered sugar.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Gonna try my hand at souvlaki today. I've never actually eaten it, but it's pork marinaded in red wine and oregano and then threaded onto sticks and grilled. How wrong can I go with something that looks so good?

• Options
    fd1d1wde4xaf.jpg

I would eat this every day

Also, I make a mean chorizo

• Options
    Ahhh, my friends...Patience
    RjGod5Ul.jpg
    Was
    RBwyPqrl.jpg
    Rewarded
    l0GIndLl.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tony stop holding out on us and send the coordinates

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is that a butt or a shoulder?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

TIL there is shoulder that is not butt.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

I feel smarter now. This is new information to me as well.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Herbal tea seems very good.

I think I needed to steep it longer though? The flavor was very subtle.

I'm not good at brewing tea that isn't earl grey.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    tony stop holding out on us and send the coordinates

I’m afraid I can’t dox my parents!

Butt
    3clipse wrote: »

Uhhhhh me too!

• Options
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the lady had a hankerin' for falafel so we made that last night

I was surprised by how easy it was, we're probably gonna have to do that more often

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Amazon has the KitchenAid 6-quart Pro mixer as a deal of the day for $219 right now. In silver, red or black. It looks like this is the lowest price it's ever been on Amazon, and is comparable to the price for refurbished models on other sites.

This is the mixer I have at home, and I love it. Same model I used in pastry school and at different shops I've worked at.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'll second that recommendation. My mom's entire side of the family pitched in to buy us one as a wedding gift, and it's an extremely good mixer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shit. Wish money wasn't tight this month.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wish it wouldn't cost an entire paycheck for shipping.....

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I made a gumbo! I used the recipe from the video someone linked on here, with the addition of some okra and prawns (and substituting chorizo for Andouille because you can't get that here).

CGwegZJl.jpg

I don't have anything to compare it to not having tried gumbo before, but it was tasty as hell. Just amazing flavour and texture.

Will definitely make again, and I'm thinking of doing that beans and rice recipe from the same video next.

• Options
    I'm starting in earnest to start losing weight again because I've been putting it off for a while and I'm in a position now, financially, where I can buy better ingredients to cook with instead of loading everything with carbs. I made turkey burgers tonight (on brioche buns because I'm not a barbarian, just on a diet) with some chipotle gouda and garlic aioli and holy fuck. I'm sure it'd be better with beef but this is plenty good for me.

• Options

accidentally added to much red pepper flake I think.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I made a simple chicken salad (poached chicken, celery, white onion, Italian parsley, mayo, dijon, seasoned salt, pepper) earlier today and I am now eating a chicken salad sandwich, and chicken salad is far and away one of my favorite basic foods. The process of making it barely counts as cooking but the result is more than the sum of its parts.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Chicken salad is real good.

I've been eating chicken veggie sautee for dinner pretty much every weeknight at home for the last eight months, and kinda feel the same way. Like, I chop up a bit of whatever veggies I've bought - usually red pepper and broccoli, at the very least, zucchini, eggplant, whatever's to hand - and a chicken breast, sautee it for a bit until the broccoli is browned, throw in whatever leafy greens I have around, garlic, and green onion, season it with s & p and whatever spice inclination I'm feeling that day, and top it with a bit of crumbled cheese or a bit of yogurt. Eight months and I'm still pleased as punch to eat it most nights.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    S & P is pretty good but have you tried Dow Jones?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Eh. It's pretty average.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I love chicken salad with chopped pickles in it. Just such a perfect complementary flavour and texture

• Options
    I'm going to make polenta soon

It just seems like it would be good

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm going to make polenta soon

It just seems like it would be good

Polenta is very good. I saw someone online once mention using apple juice as some of the cooking liquid, and it was actually really nice.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I took some advice from Stale and make polenta in 50/50 milk and chicken stock. It works.

Try spreading it out in a sheet pan and refrigerating, then pan frying!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I've never had polenta. I dunno why. it sounds tasty.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    best thing about doing italian fancy is the heaping pile of incredible greens

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    So I made ice cream again, this time going with strawberry

I used a similar custard base as to before, though next time I almost want to go a little richer, maybe a couple extra egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar (this time half brown, half white)
    4 egg yolks
    1 1/2 cups each whole milk and heavy cream (35% / whipping)

I used a pound of strawberries with a tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar, all mixed together and left to chill overnight

Macerating strawberries in a little sugar and lemon juice...
    1jddLiPm.jpg?2

Stirring custard over medium-low heat (video)

Straining custard for solids
    m9YRiL1l.jpg

After this point I chilled the custard and strawberries overnight, blended the strawberries, mixed everything together, prepped the ice cream maker, and forgot to take pictures of any of this, then ran the machine 35 minutes

Lifting the dasher out (video)

And here's the finished product!
    JENjxEpl.jpg

It still has a few hours to go before it really hardens up, but it's already delicious and I can't wait to dig in

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Chicken salad is real good.

I've been eating chicken veggie sautee for dinner pretty much every weeknight at home for the last eight months, and kinda feel the same way. Like, I chop up a bit of whatever veggies I've bought - usually red pepper and broccoli, at the very least, zucchini, eggplant, whatever's to hand - and a chicken breast, sautee it for a bit until the broccoli is browned, throw in whatever leafy greens I have around, garlic, and green onion, season it with s & p and whatever spice inclination I'm feeling that day, and top it with a bit of crumbled cheese or a bit of yogurt. Eight months and I'm still pleased as punch to eat it most nights.

My favourite meal prep lunches lately have been chicken breast or lean steak for a treat, with lots of mushrooms to fill it out

I'll slice up a ton of onion and bell peppers, cook them in a little pat of butter, throw salt and pepper in, and that's about it

My favourite seasoning so far has been a good hearty amount of chili powder, paprika, a little cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper

If I were to mix up a bunch my ratios are like

3 parts chili powder
    3 parts paprika
    2 parts ground black pepper
    2 parts garlic powder / onion powder in any combination
    1 part cumin
    1 part salt
    1 part corn starch

I do it by eye though so it's hard to say for exact amounts

If I'm indulging a bit I'll add grated cheese and sour cream, it's basically perfect taco filler

This discussion has been closed.