Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    curses I've read the cooking thread while hungry and have been cursed with specific desires for beans and rice

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    On the subject of refried beans, can one do that with any kind of bean? Because black beans are just better than other beans I'm sorry and if I could I'd replace every bean I eat with black beans.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    On the subject of refried beans, can one do that with any kind of bean? Because black beans are just better than other beans I'm sorry and if I could I'd replace every bean I eat with black beans.

You definitely can with black beans! I haven't ever tried with white beans or anything like that since black and pinto beans are right there but i suppose any starchy bean would work well enough?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Cook your brown rice in chicken stock instead of water. It improves the otherwise bland flavor of brown rice

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Cook your brown rice in chicken stock instead of water. It improves the otherwise bland flavor of brown rice

Hell, unless you specifically want unflavoured rice, always cook it in stock.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I use a 30/70 tomato sauce to water blend with some turmeric and cumin when I make rice. I also usually make rice for curry, though, and it comes out super good.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    eh. i'd usually serve rice with something already oily and salty (like a curry, stir fry or chilli), where its purpose is to cut the richness with a neutral vehicle. sure, cook your rice in stock if you're just going to chuck some veggies in and eat it, but as a side to a complex dish keep it straightforward.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I like to cook my rice with a tablet of Cons-Mate dissolved in the cooking water. It's easy to find here in LA and easy to order online, but I hadn't known about it until I moved out here. It's just a seasoned chicken and tomato bullion.

fwihkmjkwsao.jpeg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    eh. i'd usually serve rice with something already oily and salty (like a curry, stir fry or chilli), where its purpose is to cut the richness with a neutral vehicle. sure, cook your rice in stock if you're just going to chuck some veggies in and eat it, but as a side to a complex dish keep it straightforward.

Yeah at most, if I want to jazz it up I'll throw in some cardamon or ginger, but that isn't so much to add flavour, but to add aroma.

• Options
    Made buttermilk biscuits, ended up using the recipe from the KAF 200th anniversary cookbook. My first biscuit sammich had sausage, egg and sharp white cheddar. It did not last long enough to snap a photo. Round two (shown below) was a bit simpler since I wasn't as hungry.

cnoi8RX.jpg

• Options
    I'm making jam

Also, I'm listening to The Jam because why not!?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm making jam

Also, I'm listening to The Jam because why not!?

It's a Jam-jam-jam!

Don't get into any sticky situations or you'll be in a a Jam-jam-jam-jam.

• Options
    No worries, I'm quite well preserved

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Making a meatloaf tonight using Serious Eats' Food Lab recipie which includes gelatin, anchovies and Marmite.

My wife has very exacting meatloaf demands, ie. it be exactly like her mother's so she usually makes it. Figured I'd take a swing at something that is meatloaf but hopefully feels different enough that she can dissassociate it from her mom's.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made a cranberry apple stuffed pork loin tonight

KPm0C4q.jpg?1

Getting two pieces was a big mistake, I can barely move

xet8c.gif

• Options
    That looks delicious, Sal! also those those plates are gorgeous.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Got some carrots from the farmers market, with the tops included

I had heard you could eat them, so I looked up some recipes

Ended up making a salsa/gremolata/chimichurri thing, adding olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt and garlic. Chili flakes too, since I had no whole chiles on hand.

Turned out very well! Ate it on toast alongside the carrots themselves (roasted), and some soft boiled eggs.

• Options
    I grilled burgs with munster cheese last night and added a disc of grilled onion, a disc of grilled apple, and some bbq sauce

it was maybe the best burger I've ever had

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Strongly considering buying one of these sous vide machines on sale for prime day. Really into the idea of cooking meat without having to babysit it in a hot pan and still have it turn out perfect.

Any recommendations about a Joule vs the Anove

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A friend of mine has the Anove and recommends it, but I don' tknow anyone with the Joule.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I have an Anove and it's been a rockstar. No fancy bluetooth on mine though, which is fine really.

• Options
    how else will you set up an Internet of Meat though

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have an Anova sous vide and it works great

• Options
    Cool, that’s 60 bucks cheaper than the joule anyway. Plus apparently the joule is only controlled via other device, which I think my GF would hate.

Thanks!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

That's what ICMP stands for - Internet Control Meat Protocol.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

As long as it honors HTTP 418 properly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I think I've finally nailed my perfect stirfry brown sauce. I've always tried to replicate the brown sauce I see in [American] Chinese restaurants here, in dishes like (my fave): chicken and broccoli. I've always been told it's based on hoisin sauce. I realized though (after my last stir-fry) that the most out of place flavors were coming from the hoisin.

So instead, this time I made the sauce with:
    soy sauce
    oyster sauce (adds a delicious and very strong, deep, savory flavor with some sweetness)
    scoop of chicken bouillon paste
    mirin
    fresh garlic
    fresh ginger
    sesame seeds
    sesame seed oil (very small dash)
    cornstarch to thicken

LET ME TELL YOU HOW DELICIOUS THIS IS. I mean holy shit it's amazing. Not only does it taste pretty much exactly like take-out sauce, I think it's better. SO MUCH flavor. Good grief, it's good (I'm eating some right now).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    we got a pasta roller attachment for the kitchenaid a couple of weeks back and i'm having a lotta fun with it. figured today since i'm mostly housebound with a young maniac i'd do a beef brisket bolognese sauce and roll out some fettucine noodles later.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

As long as it honors HTTP 418 properly.

I put this in as an error response in an API I wrote, once upon a time. When things went disastrously wrong the endpoint would announce that it was a teapot and would be shutting down because it had gotten confused.

Context for non-web-developers

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Kroger has these 5 dollar frozen salmon filets

I think I'ma buy one and try to cook it soon.

I've never done fish.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Make salmon burgers. They're yummy

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    we got a pasta roller attachment for the kitchenaid a couple of weeks back and i'm having a lotta fun with it. figured today since i'm mostly housebound with a young maniac i'd do a beef brisket bolognese sauce and roll out some fettucine noodles later.

I got that roller for Xmas and it is super cool! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to help out and have fun making noodles.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Been using the kitchenaid pasta roller for more than 10 years. It’s great.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Kroger has these 5 dollar frozen salmon filets

I think I'ma buy one and try to cook it soon.

I've never done fish.

It cooks quickly, and if you bake it or steam it in a bag you can actually do it from frozen without it affecting the end result.

I saw this "Tuscan butter salmon" recipe pop up on Facebook the other day and I kind of want to try it myself. I would personally remove the salmon from the sauce at the end and then toss some linguine or something with the sauce.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I feel like this is a super ironic question coming from someone of your profession.

Tynic do you ever unironically refer to the non-internet world as meatspace?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Tox wrote: »

I feel like this is a super ironic question coming from someone of your profession.

Tynic do you ever unironically refer to the non-internet world as meatspace?

No
    Meatspace is when I wire up a bunch of steaks and try to turn them a simple synaptic layer.

Edit: or, like, a hidden dimension of subspace wagyu.

tynic on
  • Options
    I forgot to update on the jam I made

it's incredible

picked 5 cups of mixed blackberrries and wineberries, added a quarter cup of sugar, 2 table spoons of lemon juice, and boiled it slowly for about 45 minutes. a bit seedy because of the wineberries, but it tastes great. Made 16 oz.

I'm going to go out today and get more blackberries (the wine berries are basically all gone) and make 16 oz of blackberry jam

great big old spoonful on buttered whole wheat toast is a great breakfast

• Options
    All right, got my Anove Sous Vide. Think I'm gonna keep it simple to start, maybe try some chicken first. So excited!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    I love using my sous vide for salmon or other fish fillets. It's super easy to cook it all to the right temp then toss on a screaming hot skillet to crisp up the skin.

• Options
    10:30 at night and I haven't eaten yet. Gf says huevos rancheros. I've never made them before but I friggin nailed it

3sklkgbzv3wk.jpg

Also, I made my own tortilla press from a slab of cherry!

u7nrmny9g3tw.jpg

This discussion has been closed.