As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

“Why I’m Not a Feminist”: [Modern Feminism]

AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
edited October 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
So this woman named Jessa Crispin wrote a book called Why I’m Not a Feminist: A Feminist Manifesto, and to promote the book she did an interview with Jezebel.

https://themuse.jezebel.com/a-frank-talk-with-jessa-crispin-about-why-modern-day-fe-1792367458

That interview got posted by a FB friend and I read it and I found it frustrating and confusing, and figured this community might have a better understanding of the subject than I do.

Here’s a somewhat random excerpt of this interview:
[Laughs] I don’t feel like feminist acts are just making posters and knitting caps and marching in the street. As a writer, it’s become increasingly important to me that everything I write lines up with my value system and not make work that doesn’t or write for publications that don’t line up with my value system. I do feel like we’re in a place where even at the baseline, we don’t know where to find value. We used to get our value from religion, but that was bad so we got rid of religion. But where do we get it from now? Do we get it from the capitalist culture that values greed, competition and selfishness?

Where do we get it from? I think that we think that we can figure that out on our own, but we can’t. Human beings are not that smart. We’re not that logical and rational. We absorb shit just from observing, so really rethinking and understanding that our values need to be recalibrated is really important—especially for feminism, which has, if anything, taken on patriarchal values. In the last 20 years, feminism has embraced competition and greed, like, “I’m making in-roads if I make six figures a year because I’m a woman.”

On the one hand she says some things that I agree with. A few of these (I’m paraphrasing and possible not accurately representing her views):

-There are people out there who use feminism as a label while co-opting it as a way to excuse buying into an inequal system, and others who use it as a way to earn social justice points for selfcenteredness

-Racial and economic justice are also important to feminism

-A radical restructuring of our society may be necessary to achieve full equality for all

But she also says a lot that I’m not sure I do agree with (again, I’m paraphrasing and possibly misrepresenting):

-She seems to say that living with integrity as a feminist means at the very least not being proud of buying into the capitalist patriarchy, where buying in includes things like working for companies owned by men, having sex with men, getting married, etc

-She asserts that Hillary Clinton would have been a “terrible President” albeit better than Trump on the environment and women’s rights—I don’t know that this should be a topic of discussion here but her basic viewpoint that there’s not much difference between the two, or that Bernie Sanders as she mentions would have been a radical agent of change, suggests to me that some of overall viewpoints are off base

Overall I feel frustrated because from my viewpoint the problem of “some of these people think they are woke but maybe they’re just playing lip service” is not as big of a problem as the sizeable portion of the public who are unwoke as fuck and proud of it. Like “I got a mani-pedi today #feminism” can be frustrating and dilute the meaning of the movement, sure, but surely your firebombs should be lobbed at the people who are Nazis or who rape women or who actually control the levers of power, right?

Maybe a lot of this boils down to “fighting your ineffective ally is less important than fighting your enemy” and “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good,” but to be fair I haven’t read Dworkin or Firestone, I’m not versed in the philosophy, and maybe that’s why I’m not fully on board for Crispin’s ill-defined vision of a blown-up society from which we somehow rebuild utopia.

What do you guys think of this article, Crispin’s ideas, and where modern feminism is as a whole?

ACsTqqK.jpg
Astaereth on

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I've never been comfortable calling myself a feminist. I'm sympathetic to feminist issues, consider myself a reliable ally to them at the voting booth and with my social capital, but I always felt weird awarding myself that label.

Half intentionally and half by inertia, I've ended up with a *ton* of feminist followings on things like Twitter. One of the ideas I see lately that has finally landed with me is that one of the best things cishet white men can do for feminism is just talk less in public spaces. I hadn't realized how much I'd internalized the idea that my opinion is relevant in all situations and to all conversations, by birthright.

So I see these women post their opinions on women's issues on Twitter or Facebook, and like clockwork a half-dozen cishet white men will pop up to say that they mostly agree with feminism but they have some specific complaint about that specific take, and I know I could have easily been one of those guys five years ago, and that it must be *exhausting* to deal with.

So my take on that article is that it was interesting and I am glad she shared her perspective.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Well, like you said, it feels more and more like "feminism" has been relegated to just arguing semantics back and forth in an isolated clique while mainstream culture views it as a joke at best, and outright hostility at worst. No one seems to really DO anything anymore other than write books no one except those who already agree with the viewpoint will read and post angry Tweets.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Total and complete paradigm shift, huh?

So instead of seeking wage equity, seek to tear down the forces that make compensation proportional to effort instead of need.

I don't know if that's as useful as the first point, which is taking care of the women most in need first. A lot of culture, including feminist culture, is superficial with a very small gain/effort ratio. Focusing more on the least of us by forgoing celebrity is not sexy, but we can't really pat ourselves on the back while a sizeable chunk of women are starving and unsafe because they've been spurned by the system.

Good luck trying to make a better system, though. I've learned that the necessary skills required to appropriately use power are enmeshed with patriarchy, masculinism, and capitalism. Rejecting all practices wholesale because of association deprives you of the tools necessary to do basic stuff like finance an initiative or develop an action plan. If you try to start from scratch out of obstinacy, well ... the reason the article exists is because there is no successful feminist system currently that will support people that buy into it. There has to be a reason for that.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    I think feminism is merely experiencing what any other successful movement experiences. Once you reach a certain level of acceptance the meaning becomes far less focused. At that point you include so many varied opinions and beliefs under the umbrella that it’s impossible to agree with all of them; combine that with the perception that it has become establishment (in theory if not in practice), you’re likely to get people unwilling to associate based on their own beliefs or out of a desire to buck establishment/be a rebel.

I’ve found I don’t like calling myself a feminist inside feminist circles, but that outside feminist circles it’s a useful shorthand to describe my general system of beliefs.

I don’t agree with her take on capitalism/greed, or it’s jnclusion in feminist ideology as a whole. It’s a great example of how big the umbrella has become.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Per Inkstain, above:
    I agree with your assessment, Astaereth, but it's not really my place to say.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I think feminism is merely experiencing what any other successful movement experiences. Once you reach a certain level of acceptance the meaning becomes far less focused. At that point you include so many varied opinions and beliefs under the umbrella that it’s impossible to agree with all of them; combine that with the perception that it has become establishment (in theory if not in practice), you’re likely to get people unwilling to associate based on their own beliefs or out of a desire to buck establishment/be a rebel.

I’ve found I don’t like calling myself a feminist inside feminist circles, but that outside feminist circles it’s a useful shorthand to describe my general system of beliefs.

I don’t agree with her take on capitalism/greed, or it’s jnclusion in feminist ideology as a whole. It’s a great example of how big the umbrella has become.

At the college I attend, we have a 'Center for Feminisms' instead of a 'Center for Feminism' for just this reason - feminism is a huge, multifaceted movement much too broad to really mean one thing or be approached one way - the simple idea of moving towards equality for all genders is in and of itself a task that must be approached from multiple angles.

There really is no one 'modern feminism'; the 'third wave', or whatever wave we're supposedly on, is in fact a multitude of smaller waves, and it's impossible (and should be impossible!) to truly separate today's women's rights movement from efforts towards racial and ethnic equality, or QUILTBAG equality, without losing a considerable amount of meaning and momentum.

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    To me, whether or not I am a feminist is not up to me. It is up to the people around me, particularly women. My opinion on my own feminism is not more important than theirs.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Feminism is the understanding that men and women deserve equality in the eyes of society and the law.

That's it. That is literally all there is to it.

I am a feminist. I am proud to be a feminist. I will always be proud to be a feminist. I don't care what ridiculous notions other people claiming the feminist title may have. If you can't handle the basic tenant that women and men deserve equality in the eyes of society and the law then you're not a feminist.

And yes, occasionally being treated equally means NOT being treated exactly the same, in the same way nobody would expect a blind person to accept that they were being treated equally if Braille signs aren't provided and trip hazards are left all over the place. And yes, the equality of men and women applies just as much to trans men and women as it does to CIS men and women, so if you can't handle that then goodbye, so long, turn in your badge and decoder ring please you are not a feminist and I'm fucking looking at you Germaine Greer.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Total and complete paradigm shift, huh?

So instead of seeking wage equity, seek to tear down the forces that make compensation proportional to effort instead of need.

I don't know if that's as useful as the first point, which is taking care of the women most in need first. A lot of culture, including feminist culture, is superficial with a very small gain/effort ratio. Focusing more on the least of us by forgoing celebrity is not sexy, but we can't really pat ourselves on the back while a sizeable chunk of women are starving and unsafe because they've been spurned by the system.

Good luck trying to make a better system, though. I've learned that the necessary skills required to appropriately use power are enmeshed with patriarchy, masculinism, and capitalism. Rejecting all practices wholesale because of association deprives you of the tools necessary to do basic stuff like finance an initiative or develop an action plan. If you try to start from scratch out of obstinacy, well ... the reason the article exists is because there is no successful feminist system currently that will support people that buy into it. There has to be a reason for that.

This is something I've always found disturbing, how you're forced to either use the tools the system offers, or just go completely rogue and resort to terrorism, neither of which has any real chance of progress.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Feminism is the understanding that men and women deserve equality in the eyes of society and the law.

I am a feminist. I am proud to be a feminist. I will always be proud to be a feminist. I don't care what ridiculous notions other people claiming the feminist title may have. If you can't handle the basic tenant that women and men deserve equality in the eyes of society and the law then you're not a feminist.

And yes, occasionally being treated equally means NOT being treated exactly the same, in the same way nobody would expect a blind person to accept that they were being treated equally if Braille signs aren't provided and trip hazards are left all over the place. And yes, the equality of men and women applies just as much to trans men and women as it does to CIS men and women, so if you can't handle that then goodbye, so long, turn in your badge and decoder ring please you are not a feminist and I'm fucking looking at you Germaine Greer.

also this but also nonbinary and genderfluid peoplllleeee *bangs drum quietly*

(not saying you didn't mean them but I think it's important to be explicit about it!!)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Label wrote: »
    To me, whether or not I am a feminist is not up to me. It is up to the people around me, particularly women. My opinion on my own feminism is not more important than theirs.

I'm hesitant to even go that far, as it frames 'being a feminist' or being regarded as a feminist as some kind of end goal. As in, you get there and yay, you win! Same as being an 'ally'

I mostly agree with the author, where wielding the label is much less important than actually conducting yourself in accordance with an honest appraisal of your values.

Javen on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The wage gap confuses me.

Isn't that sort of thing already explicitly illegal? Paying someone less because of their sex?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've heard feminism described as being simply "believing men and women should have equal rights", so technically a lot of people are feminists. However, I also feel this is a pretty useless definition because not all ideas of how to achieve equality will be popularly considered to be feminist.

I find it interesting that certain feminist ideas are becoming more mainstream despite few people identifying as feminists. It's like popular feminist ideas become disassociated from feminism, with only more radical ideas considered uniquely feminist.

It doesn't help that social justice movements don't have many central authority figures and are mainly defined by the ideas that become most well-known, which can unfortunately be ideas that most people reblog with "can you believe these people believe this shit?" For example, "all heterosexual sex is rape" isn't exactly a mainstream feminist idea, but it was outrageous enough that it still remains in the popular consciousness to a degree.

• Options

also this but also nonbinary and genderfluid peoplllleeee *bangs drum quietly*

(not saying you didn't mean them but I think it's important to be explicit about it!!)

And yes! Those too and asexuals and all the other sorts of people I always forget exist because I possess tragic levels of CISdom. We are ALL equal, and steps should always be taken to help each and every one of us BE equal in our daily lives, so that all of the shit that all of us have to put up with every day isn't compounded by some of us having to spend each and every day trying to prove that it's actually okay for us to exist and expect to be treated equally and to have opinions and stuff.

I mean FFS I know the how of it can get bogged down in stupid detail sometimes but feminism is such a simple and obvious concept I literally cannot understand why anyone is okay with allowing it to absorb all these negative associations. No. Fuck all of that. Get that shit the fuck away from feminism.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Isn't that sort of thing already explicitly illegal? Paying someone less because of their sex?

yes but it's hard to prove because American workers are discouraged from discussing and comparing wages.

Unless you have an explicit policy that spells out what workers are paid and what modifiers can be applied to that.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

It is, but only if intent can be proven, which it never is. Wages being so subjective, even for the same job, allows them to basically do whatever they want

• Options
    I know the wage gap exists, but I always wondered how they justify it. Like, "Oh, she has a vagina, that'll be a 20% Vagina Tax!"

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

At the college I attend, we have a 'Center for Feminisms' instead of a 'Center for Feminism' for just this reason - feminism is a huge, multifaceted movement much too broad to really mean one thing or be approached one way - the simple idea of moving towards equality for all genders is in and of itself a task that must be approached from multiple angles.

There really is no one 'modern feminism'; the 'third wave', or whatever wave we're supposedly on, is in fact a multitude of smaller waves, and it's impossible (and should be impossible!) to truly separate today's women's rights movement from efforts towards racial and ethnic equality, or QUILTBAG equality, without losing a considerable amount of meaning and momentum.

It seems very critical, in any serious discussion of feminism and what it is, to at least acknowledge the three different waves of feminism, if not going forward and explicitly outlining the various schools of feminism that have emerged as part of the Third Wave, many of which have pretty fundamental differences with each other. Talking about "feminism" isn't in and of itself useless, but it's about as abstract as talking about "Christianity" or "whiteness" or "Asians" - it's a minefield of banalities, generalities, and truisms. It's what allows anti-feminists to point at the radical feminists and go, "Look, feminism has gone insane!" and simultaneously allows the corporatist feminists to "sell out" (many of) the other feminist schools. (At the same time, its vagueness allows me to identify as a feminist, without especially going into the nitty-gritty of which school I think is ultimately correct.)

In particular, I think contemporary discussion of feminism is particularly complicated by the fact that Third Wave feminism emphasized intersectionality, which necessarily diffused the conceptual core of feminism across various social justice movements, and by what, in my belief, is a new emerging Fourth Wave of feminism, which remains nascent and evolving.

As a result, frankly, whenever I hear/read comments where someone declares themselves not being a feminist, I have a pretty strong skepticism of the intellectual rigour of that declaration. Not that I disbelieve that person isn't a feminist, but because, frankly, people who aren't feminists tend not to have a very good grasp of how extensive and broad feminism has become as a ... I don't even know what it is, a social philosophy? School of thought????

hippofant on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm just happy to see more people sounding the alarm on just how fucking toxic Twitter is.

And, no, it's not just because of the sexists and Nazis on there.

The platform by design encourages and reinforces toxic behavior and even people who I agree with end up sucked into the bullshit.

Lots of different websites have contributed to the celebrity feud paradigm of social activism ("Jessa Crispin trashes Lena Dunham!") but many of them including Jezebel and BuzzFeed have tried to pull back on that somewhat. But there's only so much you can do in 140 characters (yes, I know it's 280 now and no I don't care), and the platform is designed to focus conversations around a social elite, so Twitter remains one of the worst offenders.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

You negotiate your salary, which means that the wage gap is pretty untraceable.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm just happy to see more people sounding the alarm on just how fucking toxic Twitter is.

And, no, it's not just because of the sexists and Nazis on there.

The platform by design encourages and reinforces toxic behavior and even people who I agree with end up sucked into the bullshit.

Lots of different websites have contributed to the celebrity feud paradigm of social activism ("Jessa Crispin trashes Lena Dunham!") but many of them including Jezebel and BuzzFeed have tried to pull back on that somewhat. But there's only so much you can do in 140 characters (yes, I know it's 280 now and no I don't care), and the platform is designed to focus conversations around a social elite, so Twitter remains one of the worst offenders.

Yeah, but it doesnt seem to matter how much you scream about how bad Twitter is, the majority of it's users just dont seem to care.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I've never been comfortable calling myself a feminist. I'm sympathetic to feminist issues, consider myself a reliable ally to them at the voting booth and with my social capital, but I always felt weird awarding myself that label.

Half intentionally and half by inertia, I've ended up with a *ton* of feminist followings on things like Twitter. One of the ideas I see lately that has finally landed with me is that one of the best things cishet white men can do for feminism is just talk less in public spaces. I hadn't realized how much I'd internalized the idea that my opinion is relevant in all situations and to all conversations, by birthright.

So I see these women post their opinions on women's issues on Twitter or Facebook, and like clockwork a half-dozen cishet white men will pop up to say that they mostly agree with feminism but they have some specific complaint about that specific take, and I know I could have easily been one of those guys five years ago, and that it must be *exhausting* to deal with.

So my take on that article is that it was interesting and I am glad she shared her perspective.

I understand this viewpoint and I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But I also feel that as long as I don’t drag the discussion in a shitty direction, it is okay for me to contribute and respond and interpret and argue in good faith.

There’s a difference I think between men speaking up less in a meeting and men speaking up less in response to something a woman has already put in the public space of ideas. Equality should not demand that I ignore what Crispin has said, or avoid critiquing her viewpoint, or avoid seeking to increase my own understanding through a dialogue about that viewpoint—so long as I am not a bad faith jerk when I do it.

She wrote a book and then did a public interview with a major internet news site; for me to offer my opinion on a discussion board is not really silencing or undermining her.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I found out about the YouTube channel ContraPoints recently via the YouTube thread. I find the perspective of the channel's owner interesting because she is a transwoman who identifies as a feminist but sometimes argues against certain popular feminist concepts.

What I appreciated most was a video in which she stated that she often gets people sending messages like "but what about this professed feminist who said this stupid thing/acted bizarrely/etc?" Her response was "lots of people are assholes, and as feminism becomes more accepted and more people identify as feminists, so too will more assholes identify as feminist; these feminist assholes, though, don't define feminism".

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I found out about the YouTube channel ContraPoints recently via the YouTube thread. I find the perspective of the channel's owner interesting because she is a transwoman who identifies as a feminist but sometimes argues against certain popular feminist concepts.

What I appreciated most was a video in which she stated that she often gets people sending messages like "but what about this professed feminist who said this stupid thing/acted bizarrely/etc?" Her response was "lots of people are assholes, and as feminism becomes more accepted and more people identify as feminists, so too will more assholes identify as feminist; these feminist assholes, though, don't define feminism".

Doesnt that apply for every viewpoint though- oh, I get it

• Options
    I've heard feminism described as being simply "believing men and women should have equal rights", so technically a lot of people are feminists. However, I also feel this is a pretty useless definition because not all ideas of how to achieve equality will be popularly considered to be feminist.

I find it interesting that certain feminist ideas are becoming more mainstream despite few people identifying as feminists. It's like popular feminist ideas become disassociated from feminism, with only more radical ideas considered uniquely feminist.

It doesn't help that social justice movements don't have many central authority figures and are mainly defined by the ideas that become most well-known, which can unfortunately be ideas that most people reblog with "can you believe these people believe this shit?" For example, "all heterosexual sex is rape" isn't exactly a mainstream feminist idea, but it was outrageous enough that it still remains in the popular consciousness to a degree.

It is very easy to tell when a "feminist" theory is bullshit. Just apply the basic tenant of feminism. That all genders should be equal in the eyes of society and the law.

Does "all heterosexual sex is rape" pass this test? Fuck no. It's an attempt to criminalise the preferred sexual relationship of straight men and straight women. It doesn't matter if it's said ironically or for shock value or to bring attention to something important, like the very real issue of rape culture. It is, at the most basic, fundamental level, not a feminist theory.

Apply this to transphobic "feminists", the stereotypical man hating "feminist" (which honestly I have never met a single one) racist "feminists", "feminists" claiming that choosing a career is wrong, "feminists" claiming that staying home and having children is wrong, "feminists" who try to control what other women wear, or look like, "feminists" who claim it's impossible for a man to be a feminist and so on and so forth ad copious amounts of fucking nauseum.

All genders are equal. That. Is. Fucking. It.

Feminism rules.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

I'm not sure what you're referring to, because I don't see any reference to it in the article or the thread aside from your post, but here are a few things:

1) Illegal stuff still happens, and it's still a problem.

2) There are plenty of legal ways to pay women less for the same job, like giving raises to men who are more "deserving" than women.

3) Part of the wage gap consists of women being over-represented in lower paying, less prestigious careers (like family medicine vs. surgery, for doctors), which is also not illegal.

As for the article itself, I haven't read the book, but a lot of the conversation in this thread seems to be more or less ignoring basically all of her points (which aren't at all about the usage of the word "feminism" from what I can tell). There's way too much stuff in that interview to cover, but in general I think she's pretty much right about most of what she says. Her point about how everyone has been brainwashed into wanting a traditional wedding is a good ones. A real commitment to liberation is incompatible with just going with the flow for 90% of what you do. That doesn't work when the culture's super fucked up.

• Options
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    I know the wage gap exists, but I always wondered how they justify it. Like, "Oh, she has a vagina, that'll be a 20% Vagina Tax!"

They don't have to justify it, is the thing. That's literally it.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

It is very easy to tell when a "feminist" theory is bullshit. Just apply the basic tenant of feminism. That all genders should be equal in the eyes of society and the law.

Does "all heterosexual sex is rape" pass this test? Fuck no. It's an attempt to criminalise the preferred sexual relationship of straight men and straight women. It doesn't matter if it's said ironically or for shock value or to bring attention to something important, like the very real issue of rape culture. It is, at the most basic, fundamental level, not a feminist theory.

Apply this to transphobic "feminists", the stereotypical man hating "feminist" (which honestly I have never met a single one) racist "feminists", "feminists" claiming that choosing a career is wrong, "feminists" claiming that staying home and having children is wrong, "feminists" who try to control what other women wear, or look like, "feminists" who claim it's impossible for a man to be a feminist and so on and so forth ad copious amounts of fucking nauseum.

Feminism rules.

So, I don't necessarily disagree with your definition of feminism, but there are definitely schools of feminist thought that would abolish gender entirely. At least, I think those are schools of feminist thought; they're certainly descendants thereof. This is one of those critical conflicts between trans-exclusive and trans-inclusive feminists. Two genders vs multiple genders vs no genders, fluid or static barriers between genders, etc..

hippofant on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Sadgasm wrote: »

They don't have to justify it, is the thing. That's literally it.

I mean to themselves. Even sexists dont usually go around thinking "fuck that bitch".

Okay, they probably do, but still, they probably try to dress it up.

• Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

I understand this viewpoint and I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But I also feel that as long as I don’t drag the discussion in a shitty direction, it is okay for me to contribute and respond and interpret and argue in good faith.

There’s a difference I think between men speaking up less in a meeting and men speaking up less in response to something a woman has already put in the public space of ideas. Equality should not demand that I ignore what Crispin has said, or avoid critiquing her viewpoint, or avoid seeking to increase my own understanding through a dialogue about that viewpoint—so long as I am not a bad faith jerk when I do it.

She wrote a book and then did a public interview with a major internet news site; for me to offer my opinion on a discussion board is not really silencing or undermining her.

An interesting thing I saw recently was an article talking about "male silence" during the #MeToo campaign, asking what this male silence meant. That men don't care? Don't feel comfortable talking about it? Think it's not their place to talk about it?

I partially understand the annoyance feminists might have with hearing the same questions and arguments over and over, especially from people saying these things in bad faith, but I also feel like people who are talking in good faith might have mental stumbling blocks in their way that can keep them from really understanding the things they read.

I know I before have had moments where, after being perplexed and/or annoyed by a given concept for a while, I suddenly experience some kind of perspective shift that lets things fall into place.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Feminism rules.

So, I don't necessarily disagree with your definition of feminism, but there are definitely schools of feminist thought that would abolish gender entirely. At least, I think those are schools of feminist thought; they're certainly descendants thereof. This is one of those critical conflicts between trans-exclusive and trans-inclusive feminists.

All comes back to the same thing. When you look at their theories, are they upholding the basic tenant that all genders should be treated equally? Are they abolishing gender to attempt to do that, or is it an attempt to control gender and gender expression?

Seriously, just... apply the test. Apply it every time. And if you're ever unsure, remember that feminism was created in the first place to stop people getting shit on by other people. If your version of "feminism" means shitting on a particular expression of gender, you're doing it wrong.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

This definition of feminist includes MRAs and redpillers. It's pretty silly.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm perfectly ok with calling myself a feminist, both in and outside feminist circles. Feminism is a broad label. The goal of "Defining, establishing and achieving social, economic, personal and political equality for all women" is something I can get behind unconditionally. We've made pretty good strides forward, womens position today is better than it has ever been in recorded history (and we can't say much about the period prior to that), but if #metoo has shown anything it's that the struggle is hardly over. Women are still living in a different social, economic, political and personal reality.

That's not to say that I support everything that comes out of someones mouth just because they're a feminist. Jessa Crispin is definitely a feminist, and that's good. She's also a socialist feminist, and seems to apply a fairly narrow view of what feminism is, which means she has some ideas that I don't approve of at all. Greed and competition can totally be compatible with feminism. Competition in itself isn't bad, it's what drives us towards efficiency. Greed can be positive two, with the right constraints. It's only when unleashed without constraints, when it becomes "winning at all costs", then we can start talking about toxic "patriarchal values".

But honestly. The fractured feminism is probably a good thing as long as we keep our ears open and are willing to listen to opposing viewpoints.
    Feminism is at a stage were we're going "Huzzah! We* solved the obvious issues of blatant legal discrimination....and it didn't fix everything. So where do we go from here?". That's kind of true with all revolutions. French Revolution to Functioning democracy only took like 170 years for France. They're on their 5th version right now.
    Considering that nobody on the planet has yet to make a society where the vast majority of women haven't been sexually harassed at some point in their life we're still in the experimental phase. I'm still waiting for the Feminist version of Reign of Terror (well, metaphoricly considering how heavily based the Reign of Terror was in patriarchal values).

*Or at least the western hemisphere. Saudi Arabia is still hilariously sexist. Hilarious for people who don't live there that is. Mostly. The US is twisting itself like a pretzel to take steps backwards and erase the strides forward during the 60s/70s.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Seriously, just... apply the test. Apply it every time. And if you're ever unsure, remember that feminism was created in the first place to stop people getting shit on by other people. If your version of "feminism" means shitting on a particular expression of gender, you're doing it wrong.

So when a feminist says that a certain expression of masculinity is toxic, they're being bad feminists?

I think you're oversimplifying things a lot.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

So when a feminist says that a certain expression of masculinity is toxic, they're being bad feminists?

Is that form of masculinity shitting on other peoples ability to be comfortable with their own gender roles without being harassed or discriminated against? Then it's probably toxic.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm perfectly ok with calling myself a feminist, both in and outside feminist circles. Feminism is a broad label. The goal of "Defining, establishing and achieving social, economic, personal and political equality for all women" is something I can get behind unconditionally. We've made pretty good strides forward, womens position today is better than it has ever been in recorded history (and we can't say much about the period prior to that), but if #metoo has shown anything it's that the struggle is hardly over. Women are still living in a different social, economic, political and personal reality.

That's not to say that I support everything that comes out of someones mouth just because they're a feminist. Jessa Crispin is definitely a feminist, and that's good. She's also a socialist feminist, and seems to apply a fairly narrow view of what feminism is, which means she has some ideas that I don't approve of at all. Greed and competition can totally be compatible with feminism. Competition in itself isn't bad, it's what drives us towards efficiency. Greed can be positive two, with the right constraints. It's only when unleashed without constraints, when it becomes "winning at all costs", then we can start talking about toxic "patriarchal values".

But honestly. The fractured feminism is probably a good thing as long as we keep our ears open and are willing to listen to opposing viewpoints.
    Feminism is at a stage were we're going "Huzzah! We* solved the obvious issues of blatant legal discrimination....and it didn't fix everything. So where do we go from here?". That's kind of true with all revolutions. French Revolution to Functioning democracy only took like 170 years for France. They're on their 5th version right now.
    Considering that nobody on the planet has yet to make a society where the vast majority of women haven't been sexually harassed at some point in their life we're still in the experimental phase. I'm still waiting for the Feminist version of Reign of Terror (well, metaphoricly considering how heavily based the Reign of Terror was in patriarchal values).

*Or at least the western hemisphere. Saudi Arabia is still hilariously sexist. Hilarious for people who don't live there that is. Mostly. The US is twisting itself like a pretzel to take steps backwards and erase the strides forward during the 60s/70s.

If there's one thing Ive learned as I've matured (I HAVE TOO MATURED SHUT UP) it's that sometimes even heroines of feminism can spout the most unbelievably vile unfeminist bullshit imaginable when the chips are down and they're required to support a type of woman they don't like. Again, I'm fucking looking at you Germaine Greer!

That being said, I'd say that we haven't solved the obvious issues of blatant legal discrimination, and won't until we've made vast legal changes to how rape is dealt with. Which, by the way, also includes prison rape which for some reason not only are we overall quite happy to joke about, we've even collectively decided it's part of the punishment you're supposed to suffer when you go to prison, which is unbelievably fucked up, and is yet another expression of the same idea that has some people accepting that it's okay for "misbehaving" women to risk rape for things like binge drinking, being out after dark or wearing heels.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options

They're saying that an expression of masculinity that harms others is toxic, which in turn means that others are treated unequally by that expression of masculinity. So talking about toxic masculinity is good feminism.

It really is that simple.

• Options

Is that form of masculinity shitting on other peoples ability to be comfortable with their own gender roles without being harassed or discriminated against? Then it's probably toxic.

There are forms of toxic masculinity that can't be easily condensed down to "shitting on other people" - for example, excessive risk taking in younger men, or willful social isolation in older men.

One of my favorite books about this is bell hooks's Will to Change and I'm not going to dismiss that as bad feminism because she deigned to interrogate certain forms of gender expression. (Honestly I have a mountain of books about toxic masculinity, but I'm name dropping bell hooks to illustrate that it isn't intrinsically antifeminist to interrogate gender expression.)

In general, there's necessarily going to be a tension between two truths: 1) old gender paradigms were often unhealthy and 2) people should be able to express gender any way they want as long as they do so in a healthy manner. There's going to be a lot of discussion over what constitutes a benign or unhealthy form of gender expression.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've always identified as a feminist since I had a notion of what that word meant, and thanks to my upbringing I never had to unlearn any patriarchal nonsense.

I tend to think of it in terms of your value as a person and the value of your ideas are independent of your sex or gender. Note that this is independent from the value of your *perspective* when that perspective is relevant. Men know more about being men and women know more about being women etc.

I have further positions along these lines that extend beyond feminism itself. I'm not sure to what degree other aspects of identity should really fall under feminism itself instead of under the larger umbrella of equality, equity, and etc.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I've always identified as a feminist since I had a notion of what that word meant, and thanks to my upbringing I never had to unlearn any patriarchal nonsense.

I tend to think of it in terms of your value as a person and the value of your ideas are independent of your sex or gender. Note that this is independent from the value of your *perspective* when that perspective is relevant. Men know more about being men and women know more about being women etc.

I have further positions along these lines that extend beyond feminism itself. I'm not sure to what degree other aspects of identity should really fall under feminism itself instead of under the larger umbrella of equality, equity, and etc.

What about capitalism, the idea of heroes, and seeking validation through fame? These pillars of our society are what this feminist rejects as elements of patriarchy.