As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BYOC issues last year!

retsamretsam Registered User new member
edited November 2017 in PAX East
So last year me and my three boys did BYOC and where so disappointed. The problem we encountered was internet speeds of around 128k to 500k. YES, you read that right, KILOBITS!. So this year we are discussing PAX again and my concern is what guarantee are we going to get that this isn't going to happen again this year!?! why should I drive 300 miles will all my PC gear in tow and three kids to boot only to see this happen again. What is PAX-East going todo to prevent this from happening again this year? are we going to get enough bandwidth to actually play games and interact with friends online?

retsam on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    retsam wrote: »
    So last year me and my three boys did BYOC and where so disappointed. The problem we encountered was internet speeds of around 128k to 500k. YES, you read that right, KILOBITS!. So this year we are discussing PAX again and my concern is what guarantee are we going to get that this isn't going to happen again this year!?! why should I drive 300 miles will all my PC gear in tow and three kids to boot only to see this happen again. What is PAX-East going todo to prevent this from happening again this year? are we going to get enough bandwidth to actually play games and interact with friends online?
    non-game traffic will continue to be throttled. I don't know how they do the classification, but I know that is a policy for BYOC at all PAXen. For details though you'll have to get information from someone who directly works in BYOC.

• Options
    retsamretsam Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    retsam wrote: »
    non-game traffic will continue to be throttled. I don't know how they do the classification, but I know that is a policy for BYOC at all PAXen. For details though you'll have to get information from someone who directly works in BYOC.
    Game and non-game was throttled last year, no game was playable for all three days, was a complete waste of money and time. So i guess you are saying the same will apply this year...

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am saying that you should not expect a similar experience to playing online games at home, as they do try to throttle certain traffic. I am sure that if there were technical difficulties that caused traffic they did not intend to throttle to be throttled, they will work to solve that problem.

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    Sorry you had such a bad experience!

Friday of last year was bad...there were a lot of problems, but by the end of Friday and certainly Saturday morning, so far as I know, the main issues had been worked out. I can say that the Friday issues were definitely on my personal radar, so I paid pretty close attention to the situation on Saturday and Sunday. One of the things I did was to regularly walk around BYOC regularly to get a sense of what was happening, and I saw a lot of people playing on the Internet seemingly having a good time. I can't eliminate the possibility that there was some technical issue you had that others hadn't, but I also have to wonder if the discrepancy here may be expectations.

We believe each BYOC participant should have functional Web access and be able to play games. If you can functionally browse the Web and if you can play games with a ~100ms ping, we're okay with that. If you need a 30ms ping, you're probably going to have a bad time and there's probably not much we're going to be able to do for you. That's not me saying there's anything unreasonable about expecting a 30ms ping, it's just not something we're able to deliver for PAX East. Likewise, if your web browser is running at 300kb/s, we're okay with that. If you need a big download, let us know, we may be able to help, but we care a lot more about people playing games than we do downloading files, and traffic is prioritized as such. We CERTAINLY don't care about speedtests, so if you're the type of person who immediately runs a speedtest as soon as you sit down at a lan party, you're probably going to be disappointed.

As always, for anyone who does take part in BYOC for PAX East 2018, please don't hesitate to reach out to the Enforcers if you have problems. Running a LAN event like this is very tricky and there are a thousand things that can go wrong...please be patient with them, but still make sure they are aware of any issues you encounter.

• Options
    Merlin_KMMerlin_KM The Gentleman Wookie Western MARegistered User regular
    My understanding of last year's situation was that the BYOC owners/operators had switched hands or at least was being managed by a new individual. In previous years, the old person had just given out a higher capped internet line to BYOC, but last year they cut that deal and charged an arm+leg for it. Although, that didn't make too much sense to me, as they run BYOC at every PAX and we do pay a fee to enjoy it. Again, I have no first-hand knowledge, this was what I heard after talking to multiple BYOC enforcers last year.

"Coincidence? The Universe is rarely so lazy."
  • Options
    TheYimTheYim Registered User regular
    Respectfully...

I have been to BYOC for the last 5 years.

Never have I had such a horrible BYOC experience. Friday was bad. We expect Fridays to have issues. However, the issues persisted until the end. The "LAN" excuse is unreasonable in these days. More and more of the popular games are lacking LAN-Only modes. People want to play Overwatch, League of Legends, Team Fortress and other Internet-Only games. It has never been an issue in the past. Either there was major equipment configuration issues, or someone decided to cut BYOC's bandwidth budget. I'm leaning toward the latter.

IMO: It's no coincidence that last years massively disappointing BYOC was under new management.

If you want to cut down on non-gaming traffic, your better off targeting specific sites. Twitch, Youtube, Facebook. Any of the Live Streaming websites consume far more bandwidth. If a BYOC attendee wants to utilize those services, have them jump onto the Convention Center WiFi (which was loads better than the BYOC's internet last year).

WAN-less LAN, won't work. Figure it out, please don't make lame excuses.

• Options
    cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    Honestly, did it last year too and it was horrible. Just wanted to play Overwatch with my brother and 3/4 of the time we couldn't. Occasionally we were able to get a few games in, but it was so gimped.

Again, I heard it was better the previous years. Hope to hear more about either Intel taking back hosting duties or other internet issues addressed. Would love to have a place to chill and relax while also getting to show off my build.

BP8CyRA.png
  • Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I dont remember which year exactly, but a few years ago it was really bad, the internet was barely working. Last year though was rough, I pretty much had to use my phone to connect to the convention centers wifi then send the internet though my usb on phone to my pc to get any kind of internet speed. They really just need to target websites to be throttled and not try to do a blanket sweep.

thorkon on
  • Options
    tamerasuckstamerasucks Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I remember I went to a small PC tourney YEARS ago and they had every single computer connected to one network on a small local server. I ended leaving mid comp because everyone’s game kept crashing and I would have to start over every time. I couldn’t image paying to bring my build and being screwed over completely.

tamerasucks on
  • Options
    shedemonshedemon Ms. MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I ran a UT 99 server at PAX East last year. It was the most advanced thing I could run on the network. Indeed, the bandwidth was a major issue, and unless Steam is considered a non-game-related service, connectivity was poor to horribad. Next to me I saw players struggling to connect on EA, Blizzard and Bungie games. One does hope for better this year, one will still buy BYOC, if for no other reason than to check out the cool, pimped-out rigs ("backup servers" included).

• Options
    jr0gzy950iv4.jpg

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    I'm glad this is the one year I decided to skip BYOC because it sounds like it was quite a mess.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    Still no word on BYOC 2018? Bueler? Bueler?

• Options