As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Once I went up to a library copier that had every warning light on. I kicked it and it began working normally.

Behold. For I am a god.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    My old car had a digital clock display that initially only displayed the time at an hour off (the buttons to change the time didn't work, and I had been told that fixing the clock assembly would be $150, which is dumb). Then it started to just display whatever it wanted. Sometimes it wouldn't display anything. Sometimes if I smacked the top of the dashboard right above the clock, it would pop back into existence to proudly display a time that was multiple hours and minutes off. I amused many a passenger with that.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Once I went up to a library copier that had every warning light on. I kicked it and it began working normally.

Behold. For I am a god.

kinetic reset FTW

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My boss just found out I'm not going to the xmas party this year (which is tomorrow) because I was annoyed by the drinkers and casual sexual harassment last year.

So of course he whined a bit and tried to badger me into going.

Just not my cup of tea, sorry no thanks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Robonun wrote: »

Behold. For I am a god.

kinetic reset FTW

Percussive reconfiguration

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Behold. For I am a god.

Not to look down upon you, your mightiness, but there are better things to be the deity of.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    My boss just found out I'm not going to the xmas party this year (which is tomorrow) because I was annoyed by the drinkers and casual sexual harassment last year.

Did he promise to be your best friend? I mean, that, like, always works.

• Options

Did he promise to be your best friend? I mean, that, like, always works.

He said it's a fun time.

I said "A bunch of touchy feely drunk middle aged people is a good time for no one. I don't even like when my own family drinks"

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Spent the last 2 days wrapping a giant crane.
    Went pretty well, considering it needed to be done outside and it's 32 F out there.
    Need 45 F for the vinyl to stick, but I applied a heat gun and a felt sqeegee all over the sucker.
    Looks good, but now I gotta sleep off the brain freeze and muscle aches.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Listening to 3 engineers struggle to unjam a copier and trying not to laugh too hard.

Normal machines are motivated by their machine spirits

It's fair to say that printers and copiers are more "haunted"

I always joke that the plant I operate knows your feelings. If you are starting it up and are very optimistic that everything is going well, it knows and will sabotage itself. A crisis is imminent.

I am always careful to make sure I am as pessimistic and suspicious as possible.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Spent the last 2 days wrapping a giant crane.
    Went pretty well, considering it needed to be done outside and it's 32 F out there.
    Need 45 F for the vinyl to stick, but I applied a heat gun and a felt sqeegee all over the sucker.
    Looks good, but now I gotta sleep off the brain freeze and muscle aches.

That sounds like a great present. I usually just wrap mine in the funny pages.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    something something black tie sexual harassment?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The beeping code for a printer jam now gives me a pavlovian response of stress.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    The trick to sales is knowing that everyone wants a deal and feeling like they came out ahead.

I'm not being contrarian, but isn't a fair price for a thing a deal? Instead of being told it's work X, but finding out it's really worth Y?

I always feel like "I haggled down a thousand dollars!" carries a lot less weight when the widget was really worth a thousand dollars less than stated.

Regardless, I'm sure the universe will provide.

I don't disagree with you. I hate haggling.

But if you're bartering with people you gotta build it in.

I was shocked to know that big businesses haggle prices like crazy. The ones that don't list their price on the website? It's not just because they're so expensive (9 times out of 10 that's the reason) but because they also want to not clue in their competitors (lol not a real reason) but it's because they're flexible on the actual price if you can get ahold of a sales person.

A lot of them can go as far as 25%, and some even further to 50%.

This is a particularly infuriating aspect of my job at the moment.

I might want a dozen N connectors, or something, and the front office people still have to talk to like 3 vendors and see how low they can haggle each before I can put a metal doodad on a cable.

They're "adding value".

The worst is when I've already negotiated the quote from the company I want. I don't want some jackass in purchasing/buying to try and renegotiate it thus ruining the good-faith I've built with that vendor. I want them to just move the quote/purchase through the system, and pay the vendor so I can get my boards.

As near as I can tell they are "wasting time that could be spent getting more radios in front of me," but I understand - more or less - what you're saying.

I am not to be involved, even tangentially, in such negotiations myself unless it's for something unusual, which doesn't help matters.

It wastes a lot of time. Not just the time buying wastes re-negotiating, but the time lost because we basically lose that vendor.

Some local places are really good at what they do, and they'll bend-over backwards to help us with re-work, if it's needed. Since they're local, we can have a turn around of less than a day on that stuff sometimes because one of the folks in their office will drive over in the morning, pick up the stuff we need reworked, and then return it to us by mid afternoon.

Like, these are high-tier working relationships with vendors to help us not sit on our butts for two/three days and it saves us a ton of money in shipping our thing to [redacted] and having [redacted] ship the thing back to us. Only for us to find out that the rework done in-house at [redacted] wasn't done right, so we have to ship it back... I digress.

Point is, once buying/purchasing burns the bridge with our local vendors, it destroys our ability to have nice things. Also, it tarnishes our personal relationship with the vendor which has a lot of follow-on repercussions for us personally in the local community here.

That sucks. As a buyer currently and supply chain in general for over a decade at this point any decent company will try to get quality work done as close to home as possible. Like you said it cuts down on shipping time and being local people are usually more willing to bend over backwards to help somebody, easier to do QC, etc... I love my local folks.

The issues cone in when cost cutting comes into play. Trying to make everything look great on a quarter by quarter basis. All the local benefits are long term benefits and buying from china to save $1 on a widget is up front savings. Multiple companies I've been at have went the short term cost cutting route and it usually ends up sucking pretty hard. I hate being directed to do short term savings initiatives just to make numbers look better for an executive, when the overall business suffers.

This is/was the issue. The purchasing group was on an incentive plan that was directly tied to how much they could negotiate off of a quote. This lead to some of the most "successful" buyers basically having an "understanding" with shops local to them not us (we're a multi-site company). The understanding was that their local shop (likely also run by a family member) would inflate the initial quote, so that the buyer could then "negotiate" to the real price. Kick backs are assumed, but not proven.

These buyers tried to do the same thing with our local supplier, but the local supplier was like, "what no, that's horribly unethical", and that is what burned us the most.

To my shock (ok, not really, I'm resigned to the fact that everyone in this industry is a cutthroat horrible person), the buyer remains employed to this day (that I'm aware of).

I finally figured out what reaction we need, and have all been missing.

Agree || Awesome || Amazing

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wooooo for free work provided alcohol and fried foods!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Behold. For I am a god.

Not to look down upon you, your mightiness, but there are better things to be the deity of.

Rude!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Behold. For I am a god.

Rude!

No printer is ever going to work for me again, is it?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Now I want soup.

French onion soup.

Well shit, I guess I'm going to Panera now.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I really love their Autumn Squash soup. Kinda sweet but oooooh so delicious.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The trick to sales is knowing that everyone wants a deal and feeling like they came out ahead.

I'm not being contrarian, but isn't a fair price for a thing a deal? Instead of being told it's work X, but finding out it's really worth Y?

I always feel like "I haggled down a thousand dollars!" carries a lot less weight when the widget was really worth a thousand dollars less than stated.

Regardless, I'm sure the universe will provide.

I don't disagree with you. I hate haggling.

But if you're bartering with people you gotta build it in.

I was shocked to know that big businesses haggle prices like crazy. The ones that don't list their price on the website? It's not just because they're so expensive (9 times out of 10 that's the reason) but because they also want to not clue in their competitors (lol not a real reason) but it's because they're flexible on the actual price if you can get ahold of a sales person.

A lot of them can go as far as 25%, and some even further to 50%.

This is a particularly infuriating aspect of my job at the moment.

I might want a dozen N connectors, or something, and the front office people still have to talk to like 3 vendors and see how low they can haggle each before I can put a metal doodad on a cable.

They're "adding value".

The worst is when I've already negotiated the quote from the company I want. I don't want some jackass in purchasing/buying to try and renegotiate it thus ruining the good-faith I've built with that vendor. I want them to just move the quote/purchase through the system, and pay the vendor so I can get my boards.

As near as I can tell they are "wasting time that could be spent getting more radios in front of me," but I understand - more or less - what you're saying.

I am not to be involved, even tangentially, in such negotiations myself unless it's for something unusual, which doesn't help matters.

It wastes a lot of time. Not just the time buying wastes re-negotiating, but the time lost because we basically lose that vendor.

Some local places are really good at what they do, and they'll bend-over backwards to help us with re-work, if it's needed. Since they're local, we can have a turn around of less than a day on that stuff sometimes because one of the folks in their office will drive over in the morning, pick up the stuff we need reworked, and then return it to us by mid afternoon.

Like, these are high-tier working relationships with vendors to help us not sit on our butts for two/three days and it saves us a ton of money in shipping our thing to [redacted] and having [redacted] ship the thing back to us. Only for us to find out that the rework done in-house at [redacted] wasn't done right, so we have to ship it back... I digress.

Point is, once buying/purchasing burns the bridge with our local vendors, it destroys our ability to have nice things. Also, it tarnishes our personal relationship with the vendor which has a lot of follow-on repercussions for us personally in the local community here.

That sucks. As a buyer currently and supply chain in general for over a decade at this point any decent company will try to get quality work done as close to home as possible. Like you said it cuts down on shipping time and being local people are usually more willing to bend over backwards to help somebody, easier to do QC, etc... I love my local folks.

The issues cone in when cost cutting comes into play. Trying to make everything look great on a quarter by quarter basis. All the local benefits are long term benefits and buying from china to save $1 on a widget is up front savings. Multiple companies I've been at have went the short term cost cutting route and it usually ends up sucking pretty hard. I hate being directed to do short term savings initiatives just to make numbers look better for an executive, when the overall business suffers.

This is/was the issue. The purchasing group was on an incentive plan that was directly tied to how much they could negotiate off of a quote. This lead to some of the most "successful" buyers basically having an "understanding" with shops local to them not us (we're a multi-site company). The understanding was that their local shop (likely also run by a family member) would inflate the initial quote, so that the buyer could then "negotiate" to the real price. Kick backs are assumed, but not proven.

These buyers tried to do the same thing with our local supplier, but the local supplier was like, "what no, that's horribly unethical", and that is what burned us the most.

To my shock (ok, not really, I'm resigned to the fact that everyone in this industry is a cutthroat horrible person), the buyer remains employed to this day (that I'm aware of).

I finally figured out what reaction we need, and have all been missing.

Agree || Awesome || Amazing

Man, that would solve a lot of problems here in the job thread. Mostly I'm just waiting for people to post something like "Holy shit" so I can Agree.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oh hey it's snowing maybe I'll get off tomorrow

• Options
    Today my library received a fax offering a business loan from "Local Bank & Trust Co." Seems legit.

Ah, and I see that they have given me the option to discontinue these faxes at "unsubscribemynumber.com," which also appears to be flagged as a fraudulent website. Cool. Cool cool cool.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

I literally cannot remember the last time I was in falling snow, like when I was really young spending christmas breaks in Maryland maybe.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm in Austin, TX

the last time it snowed was...6 years ago

And that was in like March or April. This is the first seasonally appropriate snow I can ever remember being in.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I literally cannot remember the last time I was in falling snow, like when I was really young spending christmas breaks in Maryland maybe.

It snowed here yesterday but it was 40 degrees out.

First snow flakes I saw this year were on Halloween night.

• Options
    Man, I need to move. I really like cold weather, and today was the first day it stayed below freezing for most of the day.

In celebration, I have a pot of jambalaya that's been simmering for the past four hours.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    my partner may be getting a new job. which yay cool for him, but omg i stress on numbers and paperwork, and deciding between a dozen insurance plans is a sure bet to riling my anxiety. *whine* why did i start seeing people about my brain probs??! (naturally, none of my providers take the new insurance.)

but hey, validation for the beau that he rates! it's hard to convince him he's a good programmer since i only have contextual evidence to work with.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I'm in Austin, TX

the last time it snowed was...6 years ago

And that was in like March or April. This is the first seasonally appropriate snow I can ever remember being in.

Same, at least where I am we've had snow more recently but it's more of a came overnight, left maybe an inch, gone by midday situation.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Listening to 3 engineers struggle to unjam a copier and trying not to laugh too hard.

Did the engineers employ the tried-and-true kicking method?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm working again this weekend. Woo overtime. If I end up working the following weekend too, that will be a solid 30 days of work before I have my time off. If I actually don't have to work that weekend, then it's only ('only) 26.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The city disallowed the hiring of anymore facility managers, so I'm the only one for the Parks & Recreation department for the foreseeable future!

And I was just told from my supervisor that I am about to be training in some new software so I can start producing marketing for our department.

WHAT EVEN IS MY JOB!?!?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    1st day went well. Sure, it’s 2 trains and a bus to get there until I make sure my car’s fine, I feel just a dab out of my league, and unemployment continues to drag ass and not pay me so I can eat beyond next week.

But guys

I don’t have to deal with external customers anymore, I just provision new accounts and permissions for employees. This excites me to an obscene degree.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The city disallowed the hiring of anymore facility managers, so I'm the only one for the Parks & Recreation department for the foreseeable future!

And I was just told from my supervisor that I am about to be training in some new software so I can start producing marketing for our department.

WHAT EVEN IS MY JOB!?!?

From this post alone, it seems like you should be making three times as much as you were yesterday.

Is an armed coup out of the question?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    1st day went well. Sure, it’s 2 trains and a bus to get there until I make sure my car’s fine, I feel just a dab out of my league, and unemployment continues to drag ass and not pay me so I can eat beyond next week.

But guys

I don’t have to deal with external customers anymore, I just provision new accounts and permissions for employees. This excites me to an obscene degree.

The first post-retail job is magical.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I just baked two dozen double chocolate chip cookies for the cookie exchange at work tomorrow. There are going to be a lot of cookies there.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    If I have asked a favour of someone and they respond promptly I have sometimes inserted a smiley face because just ‘thank you so much!’ doesn’t seem like enough.

Also I looked up Shorty’s bear story and it was a brown bear; granted I’d have a hard time choosing between a boar, a brown bear and a moose, but a black bear? That’s in a far lesser league. You could likely scare away a black bear.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Got off of work 40 minutes late because a call went an hour long. Dude kept asking questions I already answered or told him I couldn't answer and would need to transfer. Any time I tried to do anything it would be a new line of questions and it was dumb.

At the end of the call when I finally got to transfer him he spent a few minutes talking about how wonderful my character is and how great I am.

I was annoyed cause I didn't get paid on the call. I wanted to kick the plug out on my pc so I could escape.

I'm pretty sure I am a bad person.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Just had a right wing co worker mention that he joined a group focused around gun rights and prepping, but he felt weird about it. Everyone was calling each other ‘brother’ and they all had beards.

Then he named the group: The three percentees.

Holy shit did I whip out the websites showing how extreme these guys were, and now he’s totally disdapointed in them. He thought it was a hobby group.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Those kinds of groups are just motorbike clubs by a new name and look.

They still traffic arms and manufacture drugs, all in the name of funding their ideological claims.

I feel like these new "patriot" groups are far worse because they look for violence in order to validate themselves. The old fashioned bike clubs just wanted to keep their heads down and do business.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Had a job interview. I think it went... okay? Second interview in as many months of looking. Feeling kinda desperate, sadly...

This discussion has been closed.