As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    this was my office last week

3r8gsodul0av.jpg

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Looks like someone tracked in some sand

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Wow, do they never vacuum? :?

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I'm more concerned about the flooding toilet that no one is fixing.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm more concerned about the flooding toilet that no one is fixing.

There is one at work that has been broken for 3 years

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    all those finger smudges.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I know we have a renting thread but it has fallen way back so I guess I'll post this here.

I just got home from work to find our shower totally torn out. None of us got a text or call from our landlady telling us this was happening. She text me last week because there was a leak downstairs and they thought it was coming from our shower area. It looks like it was a problem with some of the piping behind the wall of our shower.

I assume it was kind of an emergency and I did give them the go-ahead last week, but I thought that would be an in-and-out deal.

We have 2 bathrooms in our unit so we can just use our roommates shower until ours is fixed, but goddamn give me a heads up.

jgeis on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    That screen glare :cool:

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, I just has the weirdest dream and had to wake myself out of paralysis. Like a mixture between Inception and Stranger Things. It was so weird and freaky and it’s 3AM and I’m exhausted and I have to be up in 4.5 hours for work and I don’t want to go back to sleep.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    this was my office last week

3r8gsodul0av.jpg

I hope that the desktop background on your laptop is a pic of a shitty office cubicle.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    My office recently moved from the third floor to the sixth. Now, weather permitting, instead of a wall across the street I can see all the way to the Alps.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Most recent photo of my office, with one of the managers supervising an external contractor.

scyjhjbjfd8y.jpg

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I haven't worked in an office with a window for over 9 years. Security can sometimes suck for quality of life.

I work security and this past year we've been working 12 hour, rotating shifts. We switch from days to nights and back every five weeks, which is juuust enough time to start getting used to a shift's sleep schedule before having to fuck it all up and start over again. I miss 8 hour shifts, and not having to work on my days off. At least come next month we'll be on fixed 12 hour shifts, so there's that. Hopefully I won't be so tired all the time

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I had an interview today. It went well apparently. I should learn more in the next couple days.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My company has massively promoted hot desking.

Banks of desks to encourage collaboration.

What does that mean for me?

I sit in the same seat every day but it's rare my entire team is in at the same time.

SMART WORKING

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Had an elderly lady come in early this morning, unable to recall her address or phone number.

She was wearing nothing but PJ’s and slippers. And of course this is the one night we got almost a foot of snow, and sub zero temperatures.

We called the non-emergency line and a couple of comes and EMS took her to the hospital. She looked like she was physically okay though, and was in a good mood.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I always hate when people ask my phone number. I don't call myself!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I can remember my personal mobile but I'll be fucked if anyone expects me to remember my work mobile

• Options
    I am barely awake today.

• Options
    I make the same joke every time I pause while reciting "I think it's xxx-xxxx" and say "sorry I don't really call myself".

I am clever, of course, and there is no way everyone else does that too. Just like when a barcode won't scan you're supposed to say "I GUESS THAT MEANS IT'S FREE RIGHT?!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I can remember my mobile number because I've had it since I got my very first phone, it must be 15 years old by this point. Also I specifically picked a number that is easy to remember, because it has a nice cadence and the same number in it a lot.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah.

I was supposed to get a one year contract, but fuckery by the government and head office had slowed it down.

My contact finally showed up with three minutes to go in the day, so I signed it and stopped by the principal.

Turns out though when I was talking to him and getting my congratulations, he pointed out that I didn't read my contact properly.

Turns out I got made permanent.

Read shit that you sign people.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That sounds good...is that a good thing?

• Options
    It sounds good but blake sounds like he's sorta a little bit angry about the whole thing!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm glad overall. It was mostly a huge surprise. I was only expecting a one year contract.

I and two other people got made permanent, and it may very well cause some issues further down the line as technically there aren't that many permanent positions available and it may cause some issues later when people on leave come back, but it's a government position and things are very specific on how people can't get let go, so it isn't my problem.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh yeah.

I was supposed to get a one year contract, but fuckery by the government and head office had slowed it down.

My contact finally showed up with three minutes to go in the day, so I signed it and stopped by the principal.

Turns out though when I was talking to him and getting my congratulations, he pointed out that I didn't read my contact properly.

Awesome! Job security! Yayyy!

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    My desk is in a giant windowless conference room / all hands meeting room. They put cubes up here 'temporarily' when they gave our old space to a different group but the people who were supposed to move to make room for use refused (they were exec/admin, they get to say no to facilities if they want). We've been in here for over a year. Execs have finally started moving out but I think there are still some stragglers so we still can't take over the space.

They built out this giant conference room so they could have all hands meetings without having everyone drive to a nearby hotel where they would rent out a banquet room. But then after using it like twice, they put us in here and are now back to renting banquet rooms for big events.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Had a moment with the youngest sous chef (24 years old, shorter than me) last night where he called me 'Taco Boy' since our elk and wagyu beef tacos are, like, the most popular appetizer right now, and I didn't even think, it just sort of popped out:

Me: Call me 'boy' again and watch what happens.

Older Sous Chef: *I* wanna see what happens.

Line Cook behind me with thick accent: I got five bucks on the little guy.

Me: *turns around with a questioning look*

Line Cook: Hey, man, just keeping it interesting.

And everybody starts dying laughing, except for the young sous chef:

Young Sous Chef: I guess you think you could kick my ass or something?

Me: Nah, I wouldn't want to break a nail; I'll just call HR and let them handle you.

He was ... nonplussed ... to say the least.

• Options
    This reminds me - nonplussed is another word that has confused me for ages, because I always thought it meant "completely unbothered" and I've seen it being used to mean the exact opposite, like here.

And sure enough, yep, it's another one of those words. Like chuffed. Words that mean two different things, usually changing meaning between US English and other countries' English, and both definitions are polar opposites.

Why you gotta do this to me, English

• Options
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If you cleave too closely to dictionary definitions, it'll cleave your brain in two.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If you cleave too closely to dictionary definitions, it'll cleave your brain in two.

DUDE WHAT

I never knew of this 2nd definition until just now. ANOTHER ONE! [shakes fist at sky]

NightDragon on
  • Options

English: Where everything's made up and definitions don't matter!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

English: Where everything's made up and definitions don't matter!

English is the Calvinball of languages.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Had a moment with the youngest sous chef (24 years old, shorter than me) last night where he called me 'Taco Boy' since our elk and wagyu beef tacos are, like, the most popular appetizer right now, and I didn't even think, it just sort of popped out:

Me: Call me 'boy' again and watch what happens.

Older Sous Chef: *I* wanna see what happens.

Line Cook behind me with thick accent: I got five bucks on the little guy.

Me: *turns around with a questioning look*

Line Cook: Hey, man, just keeping it interesting.

And everybody starts dying laughing, except for the young sous chef:

Young Sous Chef: I guess you think you could kick my ass or something?

Me: Nah, I wouldn't want to break a nail; I'll just call HR and let them handle you.

He was ... nonplussed ... to say the least.

Uhhh, ain't you a Marine? Like, combat vet Marine?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I missed nothing on my route

I check my bank account and have $120 to lay me till the 21st

My car payment and paycheck drop together, days before the Macklemore concert.

My credit card is still overdrawn with fees and interest, but...I feel good.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    It's probably petty, but I hate it when we get a new computer in and someone says something like, `Oh, did we get a new toy?'

Businesses use computers. Sometimes you need new ones.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    It's probably petty, but I hate it when we get a new computer in and someone says something like, `Oh, did we get a new toy?'

Businesses use computers. Sometimes you need new ones.

Nah, the older I've gotten, the more intolerant I have become about people being childish.

Toys are for children to fuck around with, this is a tool we use to do work.

• Options
    What grind's bowen's gears: When there's a problem and someone says, "Are you playing with the server again?"

Firstly, I was never "playing" with any server to begin with
    Secondly, Tell me your fucking problem
    Thirdly, I would not go out of my way to create more work for myself... my goal is to do absolutely 0 work all day and that would be counterproductive

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh yeah.

I disagree. Before you read it, there was a 50/50 chance that you were not made permanent. Schrodinger’s Contract.

Best to just sign everything without inspection.

This discussion has been closed.