As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    If someone doesn't get paid for staying home when sick, I can understand that.

But if you have paid sick leave and/or can work fr on home, coming into work sick seems like some kind of toughness challenge.

Even worse since you run the risk of infecting others

And sometimes people live with others who risk becoming seriously ill or dying with common infections like the cold or the flu and pneumonia.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We just had a wider strategic mission and the term "ruthless execution" was being thrown around a lot.

Didn't realise I was running a Death Squad

• Options
    It's for the best Solar.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    We just had a wider strategic mission and the term "ruthless execution" was being thrown around a lot.

Were you using it in reference to how you'd like to treat your IT department?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I feel sorry for the guys in the project team.

They keep being told about a "restructuring" of their team in the next few months.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Were you using it in reference to how you'd like to treat your IT department?

I wasn't using it!

But I will be writing a Beria-esque list, oh yes

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This morning I saw a posting for a gig as the nurse at the high school.

So I took it and rolled out of bed to get ready.

Well after getting dressed I got a call informing me that I can not be the school nurse.

So I am going from business clothes to sweat-pants and staying home to play Destiny 2 instead.

Pssh... PSSH.... I COULD BE A SCHOOL NURSE!!!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You probably could, it's mostly hearing tests, growth charts, and watching kids take their insulin. You just need the license for it legally.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Well after getting dressed I got a call informing me that I can not be the school nurse.

So I am going from business clothes to sweat-pants and staying home to play Destiny 2 instead.

Yeah here you have to have certain certs for it

I'm teaching 8th grade science and the other science teacher gave me everything for them to do which meant silent work and the kids are doing it and bwuh?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I agree that you should not be in the office if you are sick, but a cough can unfortunately linger for weeks and it is not always practical or possible to stay away from the office for that amount of time.

Case in point: Last week, I was sick over the weekend and took off on Monday. I then worked from home on Tuesday and went to the doctor, was diagnosed with Bronchitis and given antibiotics and other medicines. I worked from home for the rest of the week.

It’s now Monday. I am no longer contagious, but I do have a lingering cough. I’m in the office. I’m sure it’s minorly annoying for my coworkers but I’m not going to get them sick.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm really glad we all harped on those flu shots because this strain of flu in the southern US looks like it might be a mutant strain which can definitely trigger cytokine storms in people in our age groups.

Stay safe everyone, and if a coworker comes into work looking like death avoid them and treat it like a quarantine situation (maybe even leave to go home yourself).

Hey do you have a good source for this?
    I wanna scare the bejeezus into my teammates, they're all relatively new to office jobs, coming mostly from retail/food service, and think sick days are strictly for hospital visits.
    Ars just posted a flu season primer.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/this-years-flu-season-is-upon-us-and-it-looks-bad-heres-what-you-should-know/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I agree that you should not be in the office if you are sick, but a cough can unfortunately linger for weeks and it is not always practical or possible to stay away from the office for that amount of time.

Case in point: Last week, I was sick over the weekend and took off on Monday. I then worked from home on Tuesday and went to the doctor, was diagnosed with Bronchitis and given antibiotics and other medicines. I worked from home for the rest of the week.

It’s now Monday. I am no longer contagious, but I do have a lingering cough. I’m in the office. I’m sure it’s minorly annoying for my coworkers but I’m not going to get them sick.

Yeah I've been coughing for a month now. My co-workers keep giving me shit for it but they'd complain more if they had to do my work on top of theirs for a month.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I just had a bizarre and awkward conversation with a young coworker. Im a lead, hes a very skilled/talented junior who just joined the company at the age of 19.

And he just pulled me aside to ask me my advice on getting another job enquiry and whether or not he should talk to them or not. Dude! I'm your lead! A. I can't be unbiased because I think we really would like you to stay here, B. Its good I'm not a dick (that I know of) because this is not something you go to someone in the company that you work for let alone your direct supervisor.

I tried to give him some actual advice, but I did let him know that I'm not really going to be able to remove any bias. I do think he should stay for at least a year or two -- it would be more beneficial for his career but at the same time that would also be the thing that would be good for the company so to take it with a grain of salt.

It was one of those 'was I ever this trusting and naive?'

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

You can't be the atheist chaplain either.

• Options
    I just had a bizarre and awkward conversation with a young coworker. Im a lead, hes a very skilled/talented junior who just joined the company at the age of 19.

And he just pulled me aside to ask me my advice on getting another job enquiry and whether or not he should talk to them or not. Dude! I'm your lead! A. I can't be unbiased because I think we really would like you to stay here, B. Its good I'm not a dick (that I know of) because this is not something you go to someone in the company that you work for let alone your direct supervisor.

I tried to give him some actual advice, but I did let him know that I'm not really going to be able to remove any bias. I do think he should stay for at least a year or two would be more beneficial for both his career but at the same time that would also be the thing that would be good for the company so to take it with a grain of salt.

sounds like he trusts your opinion and knowledge and looks up to you as a leader

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah I've been coughing for a month now. My co-workers keep giving me shit for it but they'd complain more if they had to do my work on top of theirs for a month.

How is that throat infection coming along, anyway?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

I tried to give him some actual advice, but I did let him know that I'm not really going to be able to remove any bias. I do think he should stay for at least a year or two would be more beneficial for both his career but at the same time that would also be the thing that would be good for the company so to take it with a grain of salt.

sounds like he trusts your opinion and knowledge and looks up to you as a leader

Which is nice! Thats a place I want to be

But I've had so many bad leads and directors that I play stuff like job stuff VERY close to the chest. And I don't know if hes at the point where he can tell the difference between someone who is chummy and someone who just acts chummy

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Well, yeah. But you also don't generally ask your lead/boss "hey should I pursue this other job opportunity even though you guys just hired me"

Well, yeah. But you also don't generally ask your lead/boss "hey should I pursue this other job opportunity even though you guys just hired me". Sounds like an awkward conversation for sure!

That conversation would also make me worry a bit about whether or not the person was even serious about the job...also, whether or not they'd even be there 6+ months later, or if they'd just go for the next opportunity that comes up. Not exactly something you want to make your company start thinking about.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Which is nice! Thats a place I want to be

But I've had so many bad leads and directors that I play stuff like job stuff VERY close to the chest. And I don't know if hes at the point where he can tell the difference between someone who is chummy and someone who just acts chummy

I don't know him, but it's also possible he doesn't have anybody else to ask, for whatever reason.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My university is changing its alumni discount scheme from 20% to 10% as of next academic year, so I'll be fine but damn thank goodness I applied when I did, or I'd be in a less fortunate position.

I am still very much enjoying my studies, I am v inspired etc

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I am so happy you are enjoying yourself and inspired @Liiya :D

• Options
    Well, yeah. But you also don't generally ask your lead/boss "hey should I pursue this other job opportunity even though you guys just hired me"

Well, yeah. But you also don't generally ask your lead/boss "hey should I pursue this other job opportunity even though you guys just hired me". Sounds like an awkward conversation for sure!

That conversation would also make me worry a bit about whether or not the person was even serious about the job...also, whether or not they'd even be there 6+ months later, or if they'd just go for the next opportunity that comes up. Not exactly something you want to make your company start thinking about.

Yeah, I suspect he might not have anyone else to ask and trusts wasser to keep it on the down low. Or incredibly naive like most 19 year olds!

• Options
    I am so happy you are enjoying yourself and inspired @Liiya :D

Me too - thank you!

• Options
    Just remember: Everyone is your enemy. Even touching the wall will kill you.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    oh yeah!

secret immunization thread: i got a flu shot -- i was TCB on Saturday, so i felt pretty accomplished.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Dear free food thread that I find-

Free mince pie today.

The end

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My jury group got dismissed.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

How is that throat infection coming along, anyway?

Not sure. The cough is definitely tapering off but my right tonsil seems to be infected as of last Thursday, and swallowing hurts. I'm still only getting unbroken sleep about 1 in 3 nights. I need to go to town on Wednesday so if it's still bothering me I'll see the doc. I haven't already because I keep thinking I'm getting better, but then I start feeling worse again.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Depending on the market, industry, and real value of the employee to the company, it could also be an effective way to make sure that the review compensation discussions are balanced.

I most certainly want my company to be thinking about the fact that I have a desirable skill set, and that other companies know it. But as you're alluding to in your post, it could be a thing that backfires if used too much.

• Options
    Someone just sent a draft briefing for the CFO and it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. I literally, involuntarily said “oh my god” out loud when I opened it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Someone just sent a draft briefing for the CFO and it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. I literally, involuntarily said “oh my god” out loud when I opened it.

Quickly, change the font to Papyrus!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Trying to put together a resume for a job my STEM degree qualifies me for, but none of my working experience is directly applicable is proving to be very hard. I do have a family member working for the company (doing the job I'd be doing and in the same department) that can get my resume to the right people bypassing the initial HR screening, but I have to still tailor my resume with keywords and emphasis that I have enough technical background to be a good candidate for the job. I know that I have enough technical know how to work in a factory clean room, follow carefully outlined procedures, and make smart judgments when working with non-standard operations. I've never felt like I've had imposter syndrome before because I've always been overqualified for my current job, but I feel like I do now just writing a resume for the job I'm applying for. Doesn't help that I need to send it in by Wednesday, and work is at it's most busy and stressful time of the year.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    My jury group got dismissed.

Hooray! I had jury duty all last week, which mostly amounted to "Okay check back today to see if we don't need you."

Still, it sucked not knowing if I was going to be able to go to work the next day.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    We moved to our new office this morning. For the first time in my professional career, I got a desk with a window!

It's just an interstate out there, but still.

• Options
    as long as it lets in sunlight it's a win in my book

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Received email from business side: This report hasn't been capturing data for five years. Please extract the data.

Head, meet desk. Repeatedly.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    One day I'll have an office with a window.

One day...

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I've commandeered my last two offices.

First I was in a little corner of the break room with a partition because they had no space.

Then a whole bunch of employees left because they got like an extra $1/hr at the doctor's office up the road (when you're making $11/hr I can't blame you for that) so I stole a room where 3 employees were grouped up together and made it my office (I did wait a month to see if they'd replace them). It was in the middle of the building so there was no external light.

Then when we expanded to the new side of the building I took over 2 old exam rooms, one for my office and the other for staging equipment and servers.

The staging room has no windows, this one does.

It gets real cold in here in the winter though, I don't think they insulated it expecting to having someone in here all day long.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    v33m32o9tqg3.jpeg

I don’t quite have my own office yet, just a window-adjacent cube

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Received email from business side: This report hasn't been capturing data for five years. Please extract the data.

Head, meet desk. Repeatedly.

We had a huge go-live for a new EHR system last week. It's been in the works for about 16 months. Constant communication about it in the last few.

We still got several tickets with questions like "After the go-live for <new system>we're no longer getting such and such report out of <old system>"

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.