As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Today I have done a big chunk of time-related coding.

All programmers hate having to deal with time.

http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time

a lot of those assumptions are dumb and would be thwarted by a 2nd grader's understanding of time and dates.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time

a lot of those assumptions are dumb and would be thwarted by a 2nd grader's understanding of time and dates.

i think that's the point

also assumptions 8-16 are being violated on at least one of my systems right now

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I have an 8h training class today, 8am - 4pm

by 11am we have already had 1h of breaks

at 11am we got a 90 minute lunch.... which is why I am posting this from my living room

I appreciate the breaks, but seriously I would rather have a 4h training course and take the rest of the day off

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

i think that's the point

also assumptions 8-16 are being violated on at least one of my systems right now

I was going to say if you can't wrestle complete 100% lockdown on the system then the assumption should be nothing about how time works and it might be some bermuda triangle shit going on there (like what happens when that VM goes into standby).

Dealing with time is awful, we should pretend like it doesn't exist anymore for computers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    well

i got my first job offer out of college!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    You know what, on second thought i just got paid to pet my kitty and poop on my own toilet

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Pain in arm, unsure if I smashed it into something or pinched nerve growing worse.

Random numbness always went low when I had other health troubles and went to the doctor

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I have an 8h training class today, 8am - 4pm

by 11am we have already had 1h of breaks

at 11am we got a 90 minute lunch.... which is why I am posting this from my living room

I appreciate the breaks, but seriously I would rather have a 4h training course and take the rest of the day off

Most training courses I take have an evaluation handout or online feedback form, if yours doesn't I would provide feedback on that anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Getting paid to poop on your own toilet is good shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stopgap wrote: »
    Getting paid to poop on your own toilet is good shit.

ayyyy!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I am in an extremely bad mood today. I think I'm falling out of love with my job.

Can you please stand in this river then paint for me how you feel?

(Jokes. That sucks I'm sorry Smof :( )

I would love to stand in a river right now. All our rivers are just sand at the moment.

I am just frustrated because I feel like I'm supposed to be able to produce results that are actually way beyond my knowlege and experience, and everyone seems to think it's so easy and I should just be able to do it, and I'm like... you do know I only have a BSc... in an unrelated field... from 8 years ago...?

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    I am in an extremely bad mood today. I think I'm falling out of love with my job.

Can you please stand in this river then paint for me how you feel?

(Jokes. That sucks I'm sorry Smof :( )

I would love to stand in a river right now. All our rivers are just sand at the moment.

I am just frustrated because I feel like I'm supposed to be able to produce results that are actually way beyond my knowlege and experience, and everyone seems to think it's so easy and I should just be able to do it, and I'm like... you do know I only have a BSc... in an unrelated field... from 8 years ago...?

:bro:

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm back at work after nearly two weeks off and help I don't remember what my job is. I think I mostly just look at my email inbox and say "nah, maybe later"????

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So long as I don't have anyone showing up four hours late this morning, should be a better day than yesterday.

• Options
    Also hey I'm gonna try to buy a car tomorrow. Showing up with my own financing already taken care of, shouldn't be too much BS they can try to throw at me, right?

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Also hey I'm gonna try to buy a car tomorrow. Showing up with my own financing already taken care of, shouldn't be too much BS they can try to throw at me, right?

not much!

Going new or preowned?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Just be ready for their finance guy to try it anyway. Be prepared to say "no" to a lot of it before they relent.

If only there were a "skip dialogue" button for car dealerships...

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Working from home today thanks to the snow. I used my lunch break to put together the last 3 Lego Dimensions sets to finish my collection (unless I'm dumb enough to ebay the 2 rare ones). That was time well spent I think.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    blah. Trying to get out of applying for a senior lectureship while also not burning any bridges with the person offering.

i just want somebody to give me some lab space and about 50 grand for hardware and then leave me alone for five years.

Maybe i should just take what's on offer, resign myself to increasing irrelevance and scrabbling for funding for projects I don't believe in.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Forgot my phone at home, so now I can't listen to music or podcasts, and there won't be an opportunity to pick it up during lunch today. The company next door is some kind of metalworking shop, and the noises that come from it sound like the wails of the damned.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Just be ready for their finance guy to try it anyway. Be prepared to say "no" to a lot of it before they relent.

Sometimes dealers have better rates, sometimes they don't. Ultimately shouldn't be an issue. If possible, set an appointment and pre-offer to ensure as much is done prior as possible. If nothing is already done, planning 4 hours.

• Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

i think that's the point

I was going to say if you can't wrestle complete 100% lockdown on the system then the assumption should be nothing about how time works and it might be some bermuda triangle shit going on there (like what happens when that VM goes into standby).

Dealing with time is awful, we should pretend like it doesn't exist anymore for computers.
    I have avoided dealing with time zone handling for the most part, but was once required to hack a way to update the system hardware clock from RTC updates within a VM. So I too hate dealing with time and timers.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

It really depends on how common what you're looking for is. I have had some success telling the dealer if he draws four squares on a piece of paper that I'm leaving but at the time I had internet offers from a bunch of other dealers so it was easy to mean it.

If you're gonna do the internet thing for the love of all that you hold dear do not use your main email address. Set up a throw away because it will be flooded almost immediately.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Some random UI/UX developer wants to add me to her linkedin and I have no idea who she is.

She lives in seattle, works for a company based in Baltimore MD, and went to school at the Savannah College of Art and Design.

I'm trying to figure out if she's also a recruiter (I think she owns the business that's based in Baltimore) or just made a mistake or what.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Today and tomorrow are snow days, so we're all working from home. Buuuut because of my recent project assignment, I don't actually have any work to do. My boss sent an email this morning saying he was going to send some tickets for me to work on...then he didn't! So I am getting paid to do nothing and I don't feel the least bit guilty!

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Management is doing a pretty good job of sticking around in this storm, but otherwise pretty much everyone who can work from home is doing so. Mostly just hourlies here now.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Welp. I'm being loaned out again as of noon today, this time to the Mailroom, to replace someone going out on medical leave. Indefinitely. I'm not happy, because it means I am losing the inmate supervision pay to the tune of $200 a month before taxes, it's not new experience because I did the Mailroom at the other institution, and there's someone in there who nearly totaled my car with his reckless driving just a couple months back and I confronted him over it so who knows if he remembers me or if anyone else present does.

Fuck all of this. At least I ought to still be on a computer so small favors, but that supervision pay loss is going to hurt. And the worst part is I was assigned because I did such a good job in Visiting. Oh, and while I'm over there I won't be considered for any Out of Class positions that would give me new experience and advancement opportunity.

Madican on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Some random UI/UX developer wants to add me to her linkedin and I have no idea who she is.

She lives in seattle, works for a company based in Baltimore MD, and went to school at the Savannah College of Art and Design.

I'm trying to figure out if she's also a recruiter (I think she owns the business that's based in Baltimore) or just made a mistake or what.

Or you're being catfished.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Welp. I'm being loaned out again as of noon today, this time to the Mailroom, to replace someone going out on medical leave. Indefinitely. I'm not happy, because it means I am losing the inmate supervision pay to the tune of $200 a month before taxes, it's not new experience because I did the Mailroom at the other institution, and there's someone in there who nearly totaled my car with his reckless driving just a couple months back and I confronted him over it so who knows if he remembers me or if anyone else present does.

Fuck all of this. At least I ought to still be on a computer so small favors, but that supervision pay loss is going to hurt. And the worst part is I was assigned because I did such a good job in Visiting. Oh, and while I'm over there I won't be considered for any Out of Class positions that would give me new experience and advancement opportunity.

This is allowed by your union? Crazy.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Wait..

Do people use linkedin to date?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

This is allowed by your union? Crazy.

It is, because I'm still an Office Technician. So my job title isn't changing, just my location, and they can do that at will. It still sucks though.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Wait..

Well, corporations are people, so

• Options
    I'm doing used. I'll try to finance through my bank (USAA) but I already have other financing lined up and a car picked out.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Wait..

Nah, they plug their LinkedIn information into The League and date using the data.

• Options
    shit. i wanted to look at a bunch of sequential images and stupid me figured it would be easier to do that if I put them in a video
    and I've just realised that that's gonna take nine goddamn hours to process.

someone get me a 12.1GHz processor please and thank you.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

It really depends on how common what you're looking for is. I have had some success telling the dealer if he draws four squares on a piece of paper that I'm leaving but at the time I had internet offers from a bunch of other dealers so it was easy to mean it.

If you're gonna do the internet thing for the love of all that you hold dear do not use your main email address. Set up a throw away because it will be flooded almost immediately.

There are still plenty of ways for them to try and screw you if you have your own financing. The chief two ways are;

1) high pressure sales for extended warranty and "upgrades" (undercoat, 3M film, theft protection, etc.) after you have finalized the negotiation with the salesperson and their supervisor. This is when you are at your weakest and are feeling relief at negotiating the price and just want to get finished up. This is usually done by the person filling out the bill of sale and financing paperwork, they will cajole and wheedle and do everything under the sun to convince you that if you don't buy these products you are going to lose your shirt in the event that something does go wrong.

2) un-negotiated fees - the one that still has legs around here is what they call a "DOC fee", looks like they're charging for some kind of tax or documentation and they get real cagey, but it stands for Dealer Overhead Charge. Something that should be in the price of the vehicle but that they like to hit you for above and beyond. To prevent this make sure that once you've settled on a price, make sure they agree that it is the "all in" price and there will be no additional fees or charges tacked on. If they refuse to get rid of it just walk away.

The 4 square method is designed to screw the consumer, but if you understand what they are doing you can minimize it, they try to corner you into agreeing to a monthly payment amount which obscures either the full price of the vehicle or the interest rate being charged. If you concentrate on hammering down the price of the vehicle and the interest rate (if you are using dealer financing) then everything else is just a calculation that falls out the bottom, they try to do a bunch of shady shit by trying to get you away from the price and the rate.

All in all, they do this several times a day and are really good at it while you do it once every 2 - 10 years so chances are they will get away with something, but you don't need to make it easy for them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    godmode wrote: »

Wait..

Nah, they plug their LinkedIn information into The League and date using the data.

so you're saying there's a chance

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been on holiday for almost 2 weeks and haven't done any programming*. This is unusal for me as usually after a week or so I get sufficiently unwound that I can build something that's been annoying me. I wonder if this means I got the balance a bit better last year and did enough coding as well as conceptual stuff to actually scratch the itch.

Either way, I have today, then a weekend, then I have to go back to work :(

* I mean, I messed with my avatar algorithm again but that doesn't really count

orthanc
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    1) high pressure sales for extended warranty and "upgrades" (undercoat, 3M film, theft protection, etc.) after you have finalized the negotiation with the salesperson and their supervisor. This is when you are at your weakest and are feeling relief at negotiating the price and just want to get finished up. This is usually done by the person filling out the bill of sale and financing paperwork, they will cajole and wheedle and do everything under the sun to convince you that if you don't buy these products you are going to lose your shirt in the event that something does go wrong.

The rest of your points are right on, but, a some of these are worth it:

If you live in the frozen north and salt is used on the roads, you should get the ziebart undercoating if they offer it.

Also consider GAP insurance. If your vehicle is totaled you're not on the hook for the rest of the loan. Even if there's no collateral to collect, you still have to pay your vehicle's note if it gets totaled. It's worth the cost too.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Do it.
    While you are gainfully employed, if something goes bottom-up at your company, or if you have friends who are in need of a job, having people on your profile is a good thing. I pretty much accept nearly everyone who asks due to this, and I am gainfully employed. A simple post to your friends or bros or whatever LI calls it can really help someone.

And if you're being catfished, you can just block them and move on with your life.

This discussion has been closed.