As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    My right joycon randomly just isn't working. As indicated above it's a new system. Any suggestions to troubleshoot?

Edit: if this helps, when I plug both joycons into the remote the top light lights up on that side, so I'm guessing that means it isn't a drained battery issue.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    All that Voez video did was make me want Elite Beat Agents for the Switch.

I'd love another EBA game. Feed my rhythm hunger!

As I mentioned above, I have no less than six rhythm games installed at all times on that other handheld. When songs are about 5mins per gameplay loop, they're the perfect thing to play when you're waiting but don't know how long you'll be waiting.

And imagine being able to play competitive rhythm games on the go with the Switch!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    My right joycon randomly just isn't working. As indicated above it's a new system. Any suggestions to troubleshoot?

take it off, resynch it and put it back on

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Two things I love most on handhelds: rhythm games and legit console-port fighting games with good single player content.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

That worked! Had to look up a video on how to get it ready to sync again (what button to push), and feel dumb now.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Another rhythm game getting a mobile-to-Switch port

Nice. Portable rhythm games are my jam.

The 3DS only had Project Mirai and Theatrhythm: FF.
    Rhythm Heaven doesn't count? :(

homogenized on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I'm confused, Voez has been out since launch. Is this about a new content pack?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

That worked! Had to look up a video on how to get it ready to sync again (what button to push), and feel dumb now.

Don't feel dumb!

I asked the same question here a couple months ago!

• Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    HELL yes. Owlboy and Night in the Woods have been among my most anticipated Switch games (with Hollow Knight), and they're both coming in the first half of February. Switch is absolutely on fire right now.

I guess people who played these games previously or don't get all fired up about indies may disagree with me, but Switch is doing exactly what I want it to be doing at the moment. PS Vita 2.0, plus first-party gold from Nintendo?

iiiiiiiiiii caaaan't stop looooov-ing youuuu

I'm loving the flood of great indie games as well. Some I've had on Steam but never really played and some I've always wanted to pick up but never did for some reason or other. I enjoy being able to purchase and play these on the Switch while sitting in the comfort of my living room (or handheld if I choose). I'd love to see Cook Serve Delicious, Dead Cells (I know the developer is interested), Slay the Spire and 20XX get ported.

I also love the WiiU ports. I didn't purchase a WiiU and want to play some of those games. I'm really looking forward to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    I am super envious of you. DKTF is a hell of a ride.

If you've avoided much footage, keep it that way. The spectacle off some levels are best experienced rather than merely viewed the first time. Specifically: if you don't know what is amazing about the sawmill level, keep it that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man Nintendo, they have a license to print money and just refuse.

I wanted to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my son and I yesterday. He's 3 and a few weeks ago we tried it in a demo station and he had so much fun so I decided yesterday was the day for his first game. We went to best buy, grabbed a case and brought it up to the front, turns out they didn't actually have any in the back. Checked online and no Best Buy's in the Vancouver region have it. Check EBGames, neither Vancouver EB has it. We went to London Drugs, not a single LD in the region has it (there are a good 8 of them here). We went to 4 different Shopper's Drug Marts, none of them have it. He was super sad. That night after bed I hit up 5 more Shopper's locations (these places never answer the phone and are small but they all tend to carry popular video games), no luck.

One of the guys at London Drugs told me that Nintendo hasn't sent a copy of Mario Kart to anywhere in the Vancouver Network in over a month and it's insane as it's their most popular game. Fed up I noticed Amazon had it in stock, I have prime so I ordered it last night expecting it to be here Tuesday. Instead it showed up at 8am this morning (now that's some good service amazon!) and we can play tonight after school!

So happy ending but what in the fuck Nintendo?!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    I am super envious of you. DKTF is a hell of a ride.

If you've avoided much footage, keep it that way. The spectacle off some levels are best experienced rather than merely viewed the first time. Specifically: if you don't know what is amazing about the sawmill level, keep it that way.

I haven't watched any videos at all so I'll avoid them til release day. It's my most anticipated announced release of 2018.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

No, I may have gotten the year incorrect on the digital release, but this physical version is a new thing coming out this month.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

I was waiting for someone to post this. Yeah, the digital version of Voez has been out since launch. This is one of those "hey we're making a retail version for the people who still buy physical" type things.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I use ice blocks to cross rivers.

And I like having the stamina bar, but I like Skyward Sword, so I already liked it before BOTW.

I always forgot about the ice power. It was the least flashy, so I'd just get stuck like a moron in dungeons because I couldn't get around a puddle.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I wanted to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my son and I yesterday. He's 3 and a few weeks ago we tried it in a demo station and he had so much fun so I decided yesterday was the day for his first game. We went to best buy, grabbed a case and brought it up to the front, turns out they didn't actually have any in the back. Checked online and no Best Buy's in the Vancouver region have it. Check EBGames, neither Vancouver EB has it. We went to London Drugs, not a single LD in the region has it (there are a good 8 of them here). We went to 4 different Shopper's Drug Marts, none of them have it. He was super sad. That night after bed I hit up 5 more Shopper's locations (these places never answer the phone and are small but they all tend to carry popular video games), no luck.

One of the guys at London Drugs told me that Nintendo hasn't sent a copy of Mario Kart to anywhere in the Vancouver Network in over a month and it's insane as it's their most popular game. Fed up I noticed Amazon had it in stock, I have prime so I ordered it last night expecting it to be here Tuesday. Instead it showed up at 8am this morning (now that's some good service amazon!) and we can play tonight after school!

You could have just bought it digital in your underwear, and never left your house?

I regret buying MK8 physical. It's pretty annoying to swap the cartridge to play 20 minutes with my 3yo, and then have to swap BotW back in.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Another rhythm game getting a mobile-to-Switch port

Nice. Portable rhythm games are my jam.

The 3DS only had Project Mirai and Theatrhythm: FF.
    Rhythm Heaven doesn't count? :(

Oh point. I never had it. I forgot to mention it because it's not my type of rhythm game. Sorry.

I like ones with actual songs rather than the 'beat compilations' that Rhythm Haven is.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ok, I’m thru Odyssey and BotW, and still play a bit of Stardew Valley or MK8

What should I tackle next? Darkest Dungeon, Skyrim, Shovelknight, Steamworld or something completely different? Thoughts?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

What should I tackle next? Darkest Dungeon, Skyrim, Shovelknight, Steamworld or something completely different? Thoughts?

Battle Chef Brigade

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Have you played Lego City Undercover?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

If you like XCOM style tactical games, might I suggest Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle? That one is right at the top of my wishlist for games I want to play on the Switch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

You could have just bought it digital in your underwear, and never left your house?

I regret buying MK8 physical. It's pretty annoying to swap the cartridge to play 20 minutes with my 3yo, and then have to swap BotW back in.

I alternate back and forth on this. I'm not sure what annoys me more, having to manage the limited disc space on my Switch, or swapping out carts.

Regardless, Nintendo always constrains the supply of carts after the initial release I feel. Most of the games I want to go back and check out on DS or 3DS are borderline collectors items. At least 3DS has an eShop. Still not sure why the DS virtual console is only available on Wii U.

But it's all probably part of parcel of Nintendo's conservative approach. Carts are expensive, and you don't want a bunch of extra stock just sitting around unsold. No need to anymore with digital sales either.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »

I alternate back and forth on this. I'm not sure what annoys me more, having to manage the limited disc space on my Switch, or swapping out carts.

Regardless, Nintendo always constrains the supply of carts after the initial release I feel. Most of the games I want to go back and check out on DS or 3DS are borderline collectors items. At least 3DS has an eShop. Still not sure why the DS virtual console is only available on Wii U.

But it's all probably part of parcel of Nintendo's conservative approach. Carts are expensive, and you don't want a bunch of extra stock just sitting around unsold. No need to anymore with digital sales either.

buy one 128 GB or 200 GB micro SD card, and pretty much not worry about it again. Let your system memory be there for save games and install every game to the card.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Speaking of BotW, I tried to give it another shot this weekend but I still just can't get into it. I really wish Nintendo would patch in some options to customize the game to the player's liking. I can deal with the terrible weapon durability, but it's really stupid that the game doesn't automatically switch to your next weapon for you when one breaks in combat.

That stamina meter has to go, though... I would welcome an option to just turn it off. They wanted to capture that "go anywhere" feeling from Skyrim, but that pitiful stamina meter severely limits that. Link can't even swim across a relatively narrow river without drowning halfway. If this is how Zelda games are going to be for a while, I hope the future entries allow for options to tailor the games to your tastes.

You can upgrade your stamina wheel and there is gear that makes swimming faster and easier. This game isn't going to hold your hand. The objective is to die so you can figure out how to not die.

edit: also weapons in this game are a resource to be managed like any other.

Not looking for the game to "hold my hand" It'd be nice if there were options to remove these unenjoyable systems from the game though. Nintendo's been pretty good about accessibility options in games lately, so I have a little hope they patch something in. If they don't, then it's not a big deal. I just have to hope the next Zelda game does.

...they very likely won't, as the whole point of the systems are to force you to use your imagination.

Then like I said, no big deal. Hopefully I find the next Zelda game to be more enjoyable.

You can upgrade the stamina meter, as well as abuse food to get a ridiculous amount of stamina (and refill it instantly). There are also a ton of resting spots on any given path, which allow you to stop climbing, refill your stamina, and then continue. Also there's basically no reason to ford a river without tools like ice or a raft of some kind, at least until you are further in. And as for weapon breaking, you eventually get weapons that take much longer to break and do a lot more damage, and you'll have so many specialty weapons you'll be grateful the game didn't waste them by swapping them all around. Don't forget that there is a quick menu so it is just a button press away. You learn too that some weapons are better in certain situations than others. EG any blade can chop down a tree, but an axe won't really lose durability like a sword will. And any weapon can break mineral deposits, but only hammers (and a certain other tool) can do it dozens of times. And in both those cases... bombs are an option.

The accessibility is in the ridiculous number of options the game gives you to tackle any situation. If you're not having fun because of your weapons breaking too often, for example, try using a different way of attacking enemies. Sneakstrikes do double damage, as does striking a frozen enemy. Fire and ice enemies are automatically walloped when hit with the opposing element. You can glide over an enemy encampment dropping bombs. You can strike enemies with objects, and attract a bolt of lightning to them. You can light the grass around a group of enemies on fire and burn them to death. You can take out most enemies from afar with your bow, and bonus if they have archers in their camp since you can refill your arrows using their missed shots! Also, if a situation is too tough... run away! And if they run after you drop a bomb and detonate it as you run.

Anyway, at this point it's probably Zelda Thread talk.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

If you like XCOM style tactical games, might I suggest Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle? That one is right at the top of my wishlist for games I want to play on the Switch.

ITS SO DAMN GOOD!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I feel like supporting an indie developer. Does anyone have any suggestions for obscure but interesting things in the eshop?

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I feel like supporting an indie developer. Does anyone have any suggestions for obscure but interesting things in the eshop?

Superbeat Xonic is an extremely good rhythm game?

Axiom Verge is really good metroidvania game if you haven't played it elsewhere.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Axiom Verge is really good metroidvania game if you haven't played it elsewhere.

I've tried a bit of Axiom Verge on the PC. It felt like a spiritual successor to Metroid 2, in that I spent the whole time wandering around having no clue where I was or what I was doing but apparently making progress somehow.

• Options
    Sonic Mania is totally indy developed... but not indy published so that might not count for your criteria. It's good though.

• Options
    edited January 2018

Don't feel dumb!

I asked the same question here a couple months ago!

Edit: wtf drafts =p

Xaquin on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I dont know a ton about Night in the Woods or Owlboy, outside of the positive reviews and the nice visuals. Everytime new indie games that I want get announced, I just end up wishing that they would say if it was going to get retail releases or digital only!! What the heck.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Best case you can usually hope for for a physical western indie release is it showing up on Limited Run Games one week.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I've tried a bit of Axiom Verge on the PC. It felt like a spiritual successor to Metroid 2, in that I spent the whole time wandering around having no clue where I was or what I was doing but apparently making progress somehow.

I'll second Axiom Verge. I beat it about 2 weeks ago on the Switch. Other than B and A being switched in the menus (probably because of it being ported from other platforms), it's a fairly good metroid-like game. Music is pretty good too. Took me a little over 10 hours. I had 60-something % of the items and 92% of the map.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options

Gorogoa

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just 100% my first area in Steamworld Dig 2. Got almost everything upgraded (missing 3 things) and all the equipment. Yeah, I think I'm gonna 100% the whole game, something I haven't done in forever. I guess I just don't want it to end. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular

Gorogoa

I remember playing a demo of that years ago on PC and being really impressed by the art and the idea. I knew it was out on Switch but I think I should actually look into it.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Honest truth about Gorogoa... it's quite good, but I wish I got it on iPad. It would have been cheaper and the controls are better when fully touch-based.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    True. Honestly the most important thing is playing that game, regardless of platform. It's an incredible experience.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Axiom Verge is fantastic. Thwre were a couple of times where I was at a loss for where to go next, which was annoying, but it was infrequent enough that it didn’t bother me much. It’s a game I can see playing through again in the future. Great music, too.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I loved Axiom Verge. I think I played it on the Vita, or maybe PS4. The powers you unlock in it are fantastically inventive.

Any Metroidvania-esque games to recommend on Switch? I hear Steamworld Dig 2 is pretty much in that genre, and I've been interested in The Mummy: Demastered but haven't been able to justify £20 on it (when I could add another £15 and get Mario + Rabbids)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
This discussion has been closed.