Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Speaking of BotW, I tried to give it another shot this weekend but I still just can't get into it. I really wish Nintendo would patch in some options to customize the game to the player's liking. I can deal with the terrible weapon durability, but it's really stupid that the game doesn't automatically switch to your next weapon for you when one breaks in combat.

That stamina meter has to go, though... I would welcome an option to just turn it off. They wanted to capture that "go anywhere" feeling from Skyrim, but that pitiful stamina meter severely limits that. Link can't even swim across a relatively narrow river without drowning halfway. If this is how Zelda games are going to be for a while, I hope the future entries allow for options to tailor the games to your tastes.

The reason it doesn't automatically switch to a different weapon is because you'll eventually gather a whole load of weapons, and you'll want to save specific ones for other specific encounters. An auto-switch to something you're saving up would be more annoying than useful.

And honestly, BotW takes what you thought was the "go anywhere" concept of Skyrim and beats it to death with a tire iron. Soon you'll be able to climb mountains and surmount any other obstacles other games use to fence you in. You just have to be patient and know that you'll get better and the world will open up. Think of it like an open-world Metroidvania, in a way. Until then, cooking is your friend.

Edit: And yes, as Endlong said, you need to abuse ice blocks.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I use ice blocks to cross rivers.

And I like having the stamina bar, but I like Skyward Sword, so I already liked it before BOTW.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I guess I'm one of a few that actually holds skyward sword up pretty high on my list of favorite zelda games. I think the only things I didn't like were the Ghiram (sp?) fights and constantly being told about every item I picked up.

The ability to cook for health and stamina meant I didn't even start upgrading my stamina wheel until I had a row and a half of hearts.

So impressions of Steamworld Dig 2 are it's better than the first? I really enjoyed the first one, and haven't played any of the other Steamworld titles. Was thinking of getting it but hadn't looked up any reviews yet.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I was okay with the Ghirahim fights; what really stands out to me is being disappointed by how goofy The Imprisoned ended up looking. BOTW sure stepped up in the "actually scary-looking monster" department, with Ganon.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So impressions of Steamworld Dig 2 are it's better than the first? I really enjoyed the first one, and haven't played any of the other Steamworld titles. Was thinking of getting it but hadn't looked up any reviews yet.

I've played it, and oh my yes, it's better. The world is bigger and hand-crafted this time to create a series of interesting challenges, there's more story and there's more varied types of environments. If you liked the first one at all Dig 2 will absolutely suck you in and only disappoint you when you run out of game.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Speaking of BotW, I tried to give it another shot this weekend but I still just can't get into it. I really wish Nintendo would patch in some options to customize the game to the player's liking. I can deal with the terrible weapon durability, but it's really stupid that the game doesn't automatically switch to your next weapon for you when one breaks in combat.

That stamina meter has to go, though... I would welcome an option to just turn it off. They wanted to capture that "go anywhere" feeling from Skyrim, but that pitiful stamina meter severely limits that. Link can't even swim across a relatively narrow river without drowning halfway. If this is how Zelda games are going to be for a while, I hope the future entries allow for options to tailor the games to your tastes.

You can upgrade your stamina wheel and there is gear that makes swimming faster and easier. This game isn't going to hold your hand. The objective is to die so you can figure out how to not die.

edit: also weapons in this game are a resource to be managed like any other.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

There are multiple ways to increase or overcharge your stamina (temples, cooking, etc) and ways to increase your swim speed and climb speed via outfits.

In the original legend of Zelda, link needed rafts and bombs and ladders to get places - the stamina meter is in many ways just that, except that you can bypass it in clever ways using the mechanics present.

Why swim across the river when you can make an airship, or climb a nearby cliff and glide across?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Do shrines to upgrade your stamina bar. That is essentially the key to unlocking the possibilities out in the world (climb higher, swim further, etc)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Come on HD Zeldas! Do it nintendo! Release those games on a system without a fucked up disc drive!

Let me give you (more) money to actually be able to enjoy those games!

*Monkey's paw curls*

e7eLTUc.gif

I'd buy it

Just to have it

Physical release only

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

There are multiple ways to increase or overcharge your stamina (temples, cooking, etc) and ways to increase your swim speed and climb speed via outfits.

In the original legend of Zelda, link needed rafts and bombs and ladders to get places - the stamina meter is in many ways just that, except that you can bypass it in clever ways using the mechanics present.

Why swim across the river when you can make an airship, or climb a nearby cliff and glide across?

Or cut down a tree and walk across, or make ice blocks, or or or

There is no shortage of solutions to a given problem. It's a big part of why the game is so fantastic.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

You can upgrade your stamina wheel and there is gear that makes swimming faster and easier. This game isn't going to hold your hand. The objective is to die so you can figure out how to not die.

Not looking for the game to "hold my hand" It'd be nice if there were options to remove these unenjoyable systems from the game though. Nintendo's been pretty good about accessibility options in games lately, so I have a little hope they patch something in. If they don't, then it's not a big deal. I just have to hope the next Zelda game does.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Not looking for the game to "hold my hand" It'd be nice if there were options to remove these unenjoyable systems from the game though. Nintendo's been pretty good about accessibility options in games lately, so I have a little hope they patch something in. If they don't, then it's not a big deal. I just have to hope the next Zelda game does.

...they very likely won't, as the whole point of the systems are to force you to use your imagination.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...they very likely won't, as the whole point of the systems are to force you to use your imagination.

Then like I said, no big deal. Hopefully I find the next Zelda game to be more enjoyable.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    If you think that they're going to change the core gameplay from what is the most critically acclaimed and successful Zelda game since Ocarina of Time I think you're going to be..... disappointed.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Where's some heat protection armor in BOTW? I did the Zora area and they hooked me up with a swimsuit. I've been dicking around long enough, it's time to do another divine beast, but Death Mountain seems too hot. Is that where I should go next?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Where's some heat protection armor in BOTW? I did the Zora area and they hooked me up with a swimsuit. I've been dicking around long enough, it's time to do another divine beast, but Death Mountain seems too hot. Is that where I should go next?

You can go anywhere you want, but Death Mountain is so hot your gear will literally catch on fire and damage you just for having it equipped.

That said, it's certainly not impossible with cooling food and being smart....

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dragon Quest Builders is taking too long to come out... Finished the demo over the weekend and then went exploring and found a
    Dragon
    but don't wanna waste any more time on the demo.

Anyone know how big the full version will be. Thinking just get download version unless its real big.

Edit: evidently its 811MB

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

You can go anywhere you want, but Death Mountain is so hot your gear will literally catch on fire and damage you just for having it equipped.

if your following the road that leads to death mountain, you should encounter a small stopover, (horse stable checkpoint). There is a little quest there that tells you how to cook up a fire resistance food. if you want to prepare better, save up a good bit of rupies chug the fire resist food and run up the mountain to get to the goron city as fast as you can, then buy the goron armor from the shop before the food wears out.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

if your following the road that leads to death mountain, you should encounter a small stopover, (horse stable checkpoint). There is a little quest there that tells you how to cook up a fire resistance food. if you want to prepare better, save up a good bit of rupies chug the fire resist food and run up the mountain to get to the goron city as fast as you can, then buy the goron armor from the shop before the food wears out.

Sure, just flat out tell them where to go and what to do.... :P

With BotW, there's no real order to the main quests. Most people tend to suggest doing the Rito divine beast first, because the power you get from it is incredibly useful and makes the entire game a lot easier, but beyond that, they're all about the same in terms of difficulty (the Gerudo divine beast boss is a bit more difficult) and quest structure.

• Options
    Heh. I did elephant, camel, lizard, bird.

Eventually I'll get the DLC because I would love to see my path.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I too did bird last. A pity as it has by far the most practically useful power as a reward!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    And for whatever reason I can only ever easily remember Vah Ruta and Vah Naboris names.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Owlboy is a story-driven platform adventure game, where you can fly and explore a brand new world in the clouds! Pick up your friends, and bring them with you as you explore the open skies. Overcome obstacles and greater enemies, in one of the most detailed adventures of this era.

Being a mute, Otus struggles living up to the expectations of owl-hood. Things spiral from bad to worse with the sudden appearance of sky pirates.

What follows is a journey through monster infested ruins, with unexpected encounters, well kept secrets, and burdens no one should have to bear.

A love letter to pixel art for a new audience, Owlboy is a story-driven action adventure, with a unique mix of flight and platforming.
    Carry anything. Recruit Otus’s friends as gunners to fight for you, each with unique abilities and stories.
    Large dungeons with big and challenging boss battles.
    An adventure 10 years in the making.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

There are! They're already in the game!

The stamina hurdle can be overcome in these ways:
    Beating Shrines to increase up to 3 wheels
    Eating food at any point to either replenish up to three wheels or increase your stamina up to a maximum of 5 wheels
    Zora armor for reduced swimming stamina
    climbing armor for reduced climbing stamina
    horses for eliminated running stamina
    trees, balloons, porting, gliding, and etc. for crossing water or canyons or the like
    revali's gale for climbing

and knowing this game, I'm probably missing a half dozen

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    So... labo?

What the hecks with nintendo and cardboard?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    HELL yes. Owlboy and Night in the Woods have been among my most anticipated Switch games (with Hollow Knight), and they're both coming in the first half of February. Switch is absolutely on fire right now.

I guess people who played these games previously or don't get all fired up about indies may disagree with me, but Switch is doing exactly what I want it to be doing at the moment. PS Vita 2.0, plus first-party gold from Nintendo?

iiiiiiiiiii caaaan't stop looooov-ing youuuu

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    It's rather brilliant really. Consider the nintendo bazooka accessory. it used like what...3 games total? and cost an extra 40-70 bucks on top of what was honestly, a substandard game. now a game company can sell 3-4 sheets of preprinted cardboard for a 5 buck upcharge to its game, and that game looks a lot more attractive to purchase. The Gimmick was the giant gun. now the gun is still a gimmick, but reasonably priced as well as the equivilent of a free lego set.

Just on its own, the variety kit would be a reasonable investment for lower grades to use as a project for art class. This idea is intended to be sold not only to standard gamers but also the education community.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I too did bird last. A pity as it has by far the most practically useful power as a reward!

I did it first!

Everything in the game was steering me toward the zora off the bat so I went the opposite way!

Also just love the rito and their music. Had to go there first. They live in a beautiful area too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    azith28 wrote: »
    It's rather brilliant really. Consider the nintendo bazooka accessory. it used like what...3 games total? and cost an extra 40-70 bucks on top of what was honestly, a substandard game. now a game company can sell 3-4 sheets of preprinted cardboard for a 5 buck upcharge to its game, and that game looks a lot more attractive to purchase. The Gimmick was the giant gun. now the gun is still a gimmick, but reasonably priced as well as the equivilent of a free lego set.

Just on its own, the variety kit would be a reasonable investment for lower grades to use as a project for art class. This idea is intended to be sold not only to standard gamers but also the education community.

If we don't get a Super Scope 6 Labo game I'm blaming you.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I think labo is Nintendo's attempt at something completely new. I also think anything cardboard shouldn't be made for video games and will flop spectacularly.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    As someone who's triple dipping for MHW (digital, collector, PC), I am pretty psyched about the level of detail that's in MHW. I think no MHXX for the West was pretty much a muddying the waters thing but I also don't think this is the end of the MH series on the Switch. I think it's actually very likely we'll get a MH Stories port at some point for the Switch. And they'll probably throw some spin-off/lower intensity games there as well, especially if it's something they think will appeal to kids.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I think labo is Nintendo's attempt at something completely new. I also think anything cardboard shouldn't be made for video games and will flop spectacularly.

If it's folded properly, it will glide elegantly.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    As someone who's triple dipping for MHW (digital, collector, PC), I am pretty psyched about the level of detail that's in MHW. I think no MHXX for the West was pretty much a muddying the waters thing but I also don't think this is the end of the MH series on the Switch. I think it's actually very likely we'll get a MH Stories port at some point for the Switch. And they'll probably throw some spin-off/lower intensity games there as well, especially if it's something they think will appeal to kids.

G-rank on Switch? I can dream...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Another rhythm game getting a mobile-to-Switch port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rrcp4oYFXw

Voez released last March in all regions on the eshop, however apparently the physical version is coming out in about two days in Japan and Asia, and the Asia release will have English subtitles.

It claims it will have all of the songs currently released for the mobile version will available in the Switch version, which is about 160 songs. And the devs are promising future songs will be released for the Switch version as free updates.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Oh snap, February's getting even nuttier for Switch indies:

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Where the hell is my Ultimate Chicken Horse on Switch. That's all I want. I already have it on PC but the controller situation will be so much easier. Also need more people to experience this game, it's such a unique and great idea.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Another rhythm game getting a mobile-to-Switch port

Nice. Portable rhythm games are my jam. Glad Switch is getting in on the action. I'll probably pick it up.

The 3DS only had Project Mirai and Theatrhythm: FF.

The Switch has ports of Superbeat Xonic and Deemo from the Vita so far. I already have those games. It needs more.

Vita had 3 Project Diva games, IA/VT Colorful, Superbeat Xonic, Deemo, DJMax Technika Tune, Senran Kagura Bon Appetit, and P4 Dancing All Night. Plus the Idolm@ster games and some other stuff. And it's getting the P3/P5 dancing games.

Gimme rhythm games Switch! I hunger! You can't be the new best portable for me if you don't feed my pick up and play rhythm game hunger.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    All that Voez video did was make me want Elite Beat Agents for the Switch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I just really want Wargroove to have a release date.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The Switch has ports of Superbeat Xonic and Deemo from the Vita so far. I already have those games. It needs more.

Musynx coming out in April/Q2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXHtN0tvCc

Donnicton on
This discussion has been closed.