As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antitrust: Disney wants Fox

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    To be a princess, you have to either be born of royalty, or marry into royalty. Tinkerbell doesn't qualify under either of those criteria.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Being daughters of a queen, xenomorphs are now officially Disney Princesses.

Looking forward to that musical number.

Xenomorphs can't be Disney Princesses because of the rules required you to be human*. This is why Tinkerbell was removed from the list.

*Ariel is because magic made her human.

Ripley is the Disney Princess of Ass Kicking.

The Xenomorph Queen is currently feasting on Malecifent's face

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Is there anything in this deal that Disney is probably going to want to part out? I can't imagine they actually want everything that came with this.

It's probably not going to be run by Disney directly, but under the Disney umbrella. They'll look through the corporate structure of all the assets, split them off into sections and build a new corporate structure that answers to the greater Disney-mass for the ones they have full control of.
    So, like, Sky will be off on it's own, and the local stations in India and Mexico, FX, and National Geographic will be their own separate subsidiaries of Disney Media Corp, 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight will be subsidiaries of Walt Disney Studios, ect.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Xenomorphs can't be Disney Princesses because of the rules required you to be human*. This is why Tinkerbell was removed from the list.

*Ariel is because magic made her human.

Ripley is the Disney Princess of Ass Kicking.

The Xenomorph Queen is currently feasting on Malecifent's face

Like Maleficent would not wreck any number of aliens. She's a classic fairytale wizard, ie, only defeated by sheer plot fiat :p.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Is there anything in this deal that Disney is probably going to want to part out? I can't imagine they actually want everything that came with this.

It's probably not going to be run by Disney directly, but under the Disney umbrella. They'll look through the corporate structure of all the assets, split them off into sections and build a new corporate structure that answers to the greater Disney-mass for the ones they have full control of.
    So, like, Sky will be off on it's own, and the local stations in India and Mexico, FX, and National Geographic will be their own separate subsidiaries of Disney Media Corp, 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight will be subsidiaries of Walt Disney Studios, ect.

And a lot of the elements that don't fit with Disney's "Brand" will be sold off after 2 years.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

And a lot of the elements that don't fit with Disney's "Brand" will be sold off after 2 years.

Couldn't they go to the various divisions/sub-coporations Disney owns which suit them? Disney has a lot of variety, just not under direct branding. The Deadpool movies are remaining R-rated, as well, so they're not clueless.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    So that means the xenomorph in Alien: Resurrection is a half-princess like Ariel

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Couldn't they go to the various divisions/sub-coporations Disney owns which suit them? Disney has a lot of variety, just not under direct branding. The Deadpool movies are remaining R-rated, as well, so they're not clueless.

Far as I can tell, Disney generally does not give a single solitary fuck as long as you don't mess with their money.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wonder if Hulu just becomes the streaming service for Disney, if this goes through. Since they'll own Hulu, not much point in making a new service; especially, when Hulu is likely to get them a decent existing customer base to draw from and a new service would have to build that up. I'm not sure a Disney specific streaming service would get anywhere near what Hulu has right now.
    Elki wrote: »
    Fox News is massively profitable. A quick search shows it's the most profitable of the news networks, at $1.6 billion a year.

I'm curious how this sale might complicate their ability to pull money from other areas. We already know they spend money on and I suspect demographic changes will create a crisis for Fox News. I feel like we need some serious trust busting, but I guess a silver lining in all of this, is that it could set the stage for Fox News to finally fail or stopped be so god awful.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    They are just doing this so they can reboot X-Men, right?

And I hope they reboot Spider-Man again because Spider-Man has not been rebooted enough times yet.

Also, this means that they can add John McClane to Kingdom Hearts.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tnuthMhAR0

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    They are just doing this so they can reboot X-Men, right?

And I hope they reboot Spider-Man again because Spider-Man has not been rebooted enough times yet.

Also, this means that they can add John McClane to Kingdom Hearts.

Nah they're doing it so they can have access to Fantastic Four's villains for Avengers 5, 6 and 7. Also, so that they could own all distribution rights to all the Star Wars movies.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Fox News is massively profitable. A quick search shows it's the most profitable of the news networks, at $1.6 billion a year.

They've pretty much got a captive audience, since anyone wanting news not slanted hard right have a number of options to choose from, but the only other alternative to Fox out there is... uh... RT America? Nothing on basic cable, anyway.

Considering the hard line English-speaking contributors on RT frequently take on American wars in the Middle East (Noam Chomsky hard lines), especially for Iran, Yemen, China, and North Korea, I suspect it's not considering a viable option for the right. But your point still stands.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Disney's real brand, like many corporations, is making money. They will do like other companies do and put all the losers into one basket, suck all the money out of them, load them up with all the debt from the good divisions, then spin them off into their own company that will quickly declare bankruptcy.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tnuthMhAR0

oh hey, my friend and his brother are part of this!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Disney should but DC comics as well, and then do something competent with it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Disney should but DC comics as well, and then do something competent with it.

DC comics are currently kicking Marvel comics ass.
    The only thing DC needs help with is their movies, but they're also entirely owned by Warner Brothers.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, this is an interesting speech about breaking up the major tech firms:

https://youtu.be/6NyFRIgulPo

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Didn't they just buy Whole Foods? Those two brands don't really mesh...

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's literally just someone going "Amazon should buy Target" that the news has decided to pick up and run with.

• Options

Target just announced that they bought a door-to-door food delivery service to compete with Amazon. Target has also had some major failings recently, Target Canada folded and they got hit with that data breach.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

yep i agree with most of this on an almost visceral level.

we haven't regulated or properly broken up an industry in 30 years.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Let's just say they did, it doesn't matter much.

Amazon went from online retailer to EaaS for their primary profits.

They're literally selling internet.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

"Too big to fail" was the point at which we definitely should have started.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

"Too big to fail" was the point at which we definitely should have started.

Or when Ma Bell re-formed after being split apart.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently the Fox/Disney merger thing is going well. From Cinemacon, where the big studios present upcoming stuff to the press and investors:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Disney has increased its offer for Fox to $71B, in order to outbid Comcast/NBC's $65B bid: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-20/fox-agrees-to-sweetened-bid-from-disney-dealing-blow-to-comcast

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Thank god. I know there's more to this than reuniting the marvel properties, but anything is better than fucking comcast.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Thank god. I know there's more to this than reuniting the marvel properties, but anything is better than fucking comcast.

I don't know, I'd like to find a way to fuck comcast into bankruptcy.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Yes, the important thing is getting all the Star Wars rights. :P

Hopefully the forthcoming box set will include digital copies.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What this world needs is more and bigger megacorps.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

What has Omni Consumer Products ever done to you?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

That's Nestle right?

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

That's Nestle right?

I’d pay to see a Nestle branded ED-209

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    While getting the Marvel rights back is a big bonus for Disney, I'm sure getting the distribution rights for A New Hope is just as nice. I mean 20th Century Fox owns that shit "in perpetuity." The only way they were giving it up was by buy-out. They also own distribution rights for the other five films through 2020.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Reuters reports Google has been hit with a $5B fine by the EU for antitrust violations related to the licensing terms for the Google Play Store on Android:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-google-antitrust/google-hit-with-record-5-billion-eu-antitrust-fine-idUSKBN1K80U8

It should be noted that this fine, while being a record for the EU, is not even 5% of Alphabet's cash reserves on hand.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Reuters reports Google has been hit with a $5B fine by the EU for antitrust violations related to the licensing terms for the Google Play Store on Android:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-google-antitrust/google-hit-with-record-5-billion-eu-antitrust-fine-idUSKBN1K80U8

It should be noted that this fine, while being a record for the EU, is not even 5% of Alphabet's cash reserves on hand.

It's still enough that it will get Alphabet's attention. Also, the CEO comically misses the point with a GIF showing how easy it is to replace pre-installed apps.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

I do have to think that anything is better than Disney outright owning the cinema experience through the amount of box office power it would wield.