As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meownster Hunter: World - Out now!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    World skews things further in favor of non-elemental weapons late game thanks to the Non-elemental gem as well

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    if you're using bow or dual blades (or LBG with rapid fire element ammo), element is the way to go. for everything else, raw is usually king

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay but poison is an element, right? Should I go raw or poison?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i am going to disagree with the element vs raw stuff. the current meta is affinity and master's touch. either through the toestra stuff or the dragoon stuff. add to that the slew of new critical condition and critical element weapons, elemental weapons have a real spot now.

Sure with hammers no one is going to unseat the diablos hammer, and the wyvern impact ignition is still generally the best great sword, the Kjarr weapons are all very good, and most of them have a place.

sure, the diablos weapons for the most part have the best raw damage, but when you have a monster three star weak to an element, and you have 100% affinity, critical element, and critical boost, that is going to out pace the raw weapon on faster weapons.

as for you ghost, use the best weapon you got, is ultimately the advice. upgrade what you can. if you're sticking with switch axe i suggest getting the palalumo gloves, anjanath legs, upgradign them as much as you can. the jagras weapon might be a good switch axe to get if can get one better than your current one. or the barroth one since it is pretty strong and in sword mode can paralyze

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Poison isn’t an element like fire/ice etc. It’s more of an ailment. So while you’re beating up the monster, every hit fills an invisible gauge that when full, triggers the effect. The greater the weakness, the quicker it is to fill.

Personally, if you don’t have a high damage poison weapon, stick to your favourite weapon and give your palico the pukei pukei bow, and allow them to apply the debuff.

• Options
    the rathian sword is very good for palicos. it is often what i have mine use.

status effect stuff is pretty good over all. maybe not for speed running but if you're having trouble with a hunt a sleep weapon can be a game changer.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Okay but poison is an element, right? Should I go raw or poison?

For where you are in the game this won't matter nearly as much as getting Legiana out of the air and fighting it somewhere that you can have some kind of advantage. Don't worry about which weapon you have, yet; that's for when you're doing something like going after Nergigante. You're still in Low Rank, so use whatever feels good.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WHAT'S GOOD, LEGIANA
    WHAT'S REAL GOOD

• Options
    (thanks for the tips, everyone)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's time to meat the Bad Dog.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's time, too: Bad, the Meat Dog

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Meat Dog taught me how to read monster movements and try and predict where it was going.

I love fighting Meat dog now. Just smacking and dodging.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    Meat... Dog?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Meat... Dog?

Odogaron.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You'll know when you see it.

Tomorrow's post: "Oooh. Meat Dog."

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Boy I'm not going to hit hunter rank 16 before this Witcher quest goes away

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hi hunters I think I am going to start from scratch this time around, with a focus on Great sword which I never really used before, since I prefer ranged combat in most of my games.
    Any pro greatsword advice? Playing on PS4, might get it on PC if I get into the groove of hunting again since my PC can support it now

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Boy I'm not going to hit hunter rank 16 before this Witcher quest goes away

It'll come back around eventually, you can't miss the event quests permanently, they do festival events where they put all the event quests up at the same time, for example. I realise this may not be a great comfort if you were really excited to do some Witcher cosplay or whatever, but even if you don't rank up in time this go round there'll be another chance at it.

• Options
    That is actually a comfort!

• Options
    the normal witcher mission isn't timed. the event quest is HR 50 and rotates.

• Options
    Heads up, for the Clifford, the big red dog, if you have a good paralyzing weapon for yourself, or for your palico...now's the time to use it.

Clifford's a... rather playful pup.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    the normal witcher mission isn't timed. the event quest is HR 50 and rotates.

Oh! Well then

• Options
    I can't hit Odogaron with my great sword holy shit i got wrecked

• Options
    Odogaron is a very annoying boss, especially for slow moving weapons.

Aside from the usual ‘learn its moves’, my suggestion is to play on the defensive until it tired itself out momentarily, use traps to pin it down, flash bomb it to give you breathing room, let girros and great girros fight it to parylize it, use the frogs when you can, and if you’re fighting near the upper camp, there’s a pillar that can be knocked down to create a trap.

Also, when it limps back to its nest, just trap and cap the guy, it’s really dangerous in such a confined area.

• Options
    Just reached HR with my full set of Odogaron armor and Jaggra greatsword, feels good man

Any advice on how to progress?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Kill monsters and wear their skins

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Also it's pretty great that i can still find randos online so easily to go on low rank egg hunts

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I stumbled my way into High Rank after minorly inconveniencing an Elder Dragon and promptly got my ass handed to me by the Assigned Quest Anjanath.

Things I Have Learned About Anjanaths:

They can and will just straight up three-hit stunlock combo you to death if you are unfortunate enough to be in a corner.
    Their fire breath does not give a shit about how much fire resistance you have, if you get hit you are donezo.
    Anjanath mucus also has a strange property of always attracting the most annoying thing that could be in the area to me, while simultaneously making those attracted things crave hunter flesh. Oh hello there Barroth charging at me from behind, I didn't need all that life. Also hi there, some new flying thing with explody one-shot rocks! Please, yes, do form some unholy alliance amongst yourselves. It's not like usually you guys at least make token efforts to have turf wars or something.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So I stumbled my way into High Rank after minorly inconveniencing an Elder Dragon and promptly got my ass handed to me by the Assigned Quest Anjanath.

Things I Have Learned About Anjanaths:

They can and will just straight up three-hit stunlock combo you to death if you are unfortunate enough to be in a corner.
    Their fire breath does not give a shit about how much fire resistance you have, if you get hit you are donezo.
    Anjanath mucus also has a strange property of always attracting the most annoying thing that could be in the area to me, while simultaneously making those attracted things crave hunter flesh. Oh hello there Barroth charging at me from behind, I didn't need all that life. Also hi there, some new flying thing with explody one-shot rocks! Please, yes, do form some unholy alliance amongst yourselves. It's not like usually you guys at least make token efforts to have turf wars or something.

Ah, that would be Bazelgeuze, AKA B-52. As soon as a monster roars at the beginning of a fight, he makes a bee line to your location. Dung pods will deter him, but feel free to run away for a bit while he bombs the monster you're hunting. Once your gear is better, you'll be able to tank both at the same time. And wait until you meet the pickle. And the glorious turf war with Bazel. (but seriously, avoid Deviljho, he's really hard for new people.)

In High Rank, I would suggest focusing on getting gear with the skills you need, and upgrading your armour as well. Less about resistances at the moment. Once you get over that gear hurdle, it will be much better. If you can find pieces with health boost or get the charm, it'll make the learning curve a little less steep.

As for Ajanath, when he has his flaps out, flash bombs will momentarily disorient him, making his incredibly painful buldozing move easier to dodge. And, if you can gem it, get your fire res to 20, and you won't have to worry about that stupid debuff.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    I just need 1 Odogaron gem to drop omg

always cut its tail off and break its face. these increase the chances of getting one (face gives a chance for a gem in additional rewards, and tail gives an extra carve chance)

• Options
    If you can afford to do it, wear two pieces of Legiana's set for the bonus. (not sure if it stacks with the Kirin capture bonus though)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    If you can afford to do it, wear two pieces of Legiana's set for the bonus. (not sure if it stacks with the Kirin capture bonus though)

It does, Legiana increases the rolls on the quest reward table, Kirin on the capture rewards table. It's just carving and capture bonuses that can't stack (uh... unless carving can affect tails).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    You want to hear a stupid story? When I first started, my co worker said the Odogaron set was the best starter set for high rank. So I proceeded to farm Odo... via expeditions. Not investigations.

Not my finest moment.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    You want to hear a stupid story? When I first started, my co worker said the Odogaron set was the best starter set for high rank. So I proceeded to farm Odo... via expeditions. Not investigations.

Not my finest moment.

to be fair, it isn't completely obvious that investigations are a thing (in fact, the thing)

• Options
  • Options
    I did it, I beat the game
    I am MONSTAR HUNTER
    Got carried through all the final bosses though
    I don't think I could have survived any of those on my own

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I finally beat Nergigante (with 3 people doing the majority of the work).

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Dear Monhun thread
    Please let the legiana gem drop holy shit
    Edit: fugging finally
    ov2vul6rwcay.jpg

Peas on