As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    2 episodes at an hour 45 each, so 4 regular episodes. And some solo projects popping up. I’ll take it. I’ve also been buying years of their top gear as they go on sale. Honestly, while I always want more I’m not dissatisfied.

I suppose...

Looking forward to James May organizing his collection of different length wires or what ever mundane thing he somehow makes rivetingly entertaining.
    I love the grand tour viral video challenge
    where James May unboxing a car won by a landslide.

I mean, I was already subscribed to his Old Unemployed Man Cooking channel.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't know where to post this but there's already DriveTribe, but there's now FoodTribe, which will be James' food channel. He's already done two sandwich videos, including this nice one with Spam vs. Ham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Vs8fU6JqQ

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I'd really enjoy each of the trio doing more "history of racing/history of important car" videos like they had in some segments the past year. I really loved those.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't know where to post this but there's already DriveTribe, but there's now FoodTribe, which will be James' food channel. He's already done two sandwich videos, including this nice one with Spam vs. Ham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Vs8fU6JqQ

This is the content we need

• Options
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    That looks awesome!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    May's boat is so nice!

• Options
    Oh no. This is the same day The Expanse drops.

I'm doomed.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I want a James May sailboat episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I want a James May sailboat episode.

James May's Lost at Sea
    que the music!

I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comatose
    Drinking fresh mango juice
    Gold fish shoals
    Nibbling at my toes
    Fun Fun Fun, in the Sun Sun Sun

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    But surely Hammond is the small rouge one :wink:

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Yes. Yes.....

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    The boats are personifications of what they wish they were. James' is classy, Jeremy's is powerful, and Hammond's is the biggest.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I'll be very surprised if Jeremy doesn't end up putting the guns back on his boat, considering it's a former military craft. Because CLARKSON!!!

• Options
    When you've had enough Seamen, looks like James will be your Drift King tour guide January 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24QlioJFEU

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I've watched James May make sandwiches for, like, an hour. You bet your ass I'll watch him in Japan.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    ...Really?!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    In pedantic fairness that I'm sure May would appreciate, it's merely raining, not storming. The water seems fairly calm, both as it falls in buckets from the sky and as they attempt to drive their boats on it.

Anyway, boats just seem to be the worst possible thing to give these guys to drive, so I'm really looking forward to that.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So it's up, and it's... ok?
    I think it's in the bottom tier of specials, to be honest; which is disappointing as I thought Mongolia was among the best ones they've done. But this one I honestly was more bored than normal... I don't know if it was just the lack of having to repair things themselves that much, or the rivers largely being similar though the entire thing, but I just didn't love it (even though there's bits that I enjoyed quite a lot)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    The last twenty minutes of Seamen is, I think, the scariest thing I've seen them do. Or at least looked like the most likely to kill them (other than Hammond's crashes).

The rest of the special was okay, not great, but I think the end made up for it.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Oddly, the Scarab is supposed to be an off shore race boat. That deep V should have been fine.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    For multiple hours, though

I've been in conditions like that, and it's seriously draining even when you're in a boat that you know how to drive and are reasonably sure won't fall apart under you

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Hammond had mega seasick face the whole time out there.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Now that the show has drawn me in with boat stuff, I'm going back and watching some of the others

Mongolia was stunning

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the special, but the guys were just too miserable for it to be one of the better ones. Being in cars means they can visit more cities and stuff as well, instead of just being stuck wherever the river goes.

And holy shit, that end sequence. That was some legit scary stuff. Clarkson's boat probably would've been fine, but I kept expecting either May's or Hammond's to snap in half from the hammering.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    The Scarab was fine, but boats are just absolutely miserable to be riding along in heavy waves. If you've never had the pleasure just imagine removing the springs and dampeners from your cars suspension and then driving over 6 inch deep pot holes for X minutes/hours.

• Options
    Also Clarkson, exhausted, saying Top Gear and not Grand Tour was great.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It took me two evenings to get through that because, for whatever reason (and despite everything I tried to cure it), the stream kept freezing, despite my internet running fine for everything else.

I'm sure the idea to just charge across the sea for the last part a) justified the title and b) was supposed to be an epic grand finale, but that last ten minutes or so was mostly just miserable and scary in a not-very-fun-to-watch kind of way. And capped off with what felt like a rather abrupt ending.

Still, enjoyed the rest of it well enough. Not their best ever, no, but I think I liked most of it more than a lot of you guys. And top drawer cinematography as always; it's lovely to see these beautiful parts of the world presented like no other show would do.

Jazz on
  • Options
    The overhead shots of the floating towns were mesmerizing.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

He was saying that they survived. And that is a terrible disappointment for Top Gear, the rival show that would like to see them not survive.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Enjoyable episode, the better parts get lost because of just stupid things like trying to get through the weeds or getting lost down the canal. At some point you just need to perma-hire a local helper for each of them to stay with them on their boats on camera if they're going to continue to do things that are going to delay stuff or actually make them go down and clean up the intakes and learn their lesson. It's not a problem with the cars because they know the stuff their but hell even the North Pole trip seemed less bogged down.

Also just let Jeremy do a Vietnam special like James is doing a Japan one and Wrecking Ball is likely doing one on teeth whitening, he really wants to and it shows in his little history moments of the episode.

• Options
    I loved the episode. Mainly because of the scary parts at the end. Not that i wish ill on our heroes, but because i genuinely got the feel that it wasnt "planned" that way. Or, if it was, certainly not to that extent. I like it because it feels like these guys really do stuff like that and not carefully curated "everything taken into account" kind of things. Maybe they're really good at editing i suppose, but i get the impression (after Mongolia and this) that there really is an unknown factor to the adventure.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Guessing at how much of the show is real and how much of it is fake is one of my guilty pleasures with this show, and has been for some time.

I have very little doubt that their vehicles have the breakdowns that occur on the show, or that some of the dangerous shit is indeed dangerous. But I do question exactly how much they're left twisting in the wind during such extreme moments. My guess is "not at all."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Guessing at how much of the show is real and how much of it is fake is one of my guilty pleasures with this show, and has been for some time.

I have very little doubt that their vehicles have the breakdowns that occur on the show, or that some of the dangerous shit is indeed dangerous. But I do question exactly how much they're left twisting in the wind during such extreme moments. My guess is "not at all."

Nah not usually. They are worth FAR too much money to just be left to their own devices.
    Still, in this case, I dont think the camera/rescue boat was doing any better than the hosts. It felt properly dangerous.
    Like Argentina

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Argentina still gives me chills.

And I still get a giggle out of Will Smith when he asks Jeremy what happened in Argentina. "EVERY FUCKING THING!"

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    The Scarab was fine, but boats are just absolutely miserable to be riding along in heavy waves. If you've never had the pleasure just imagine removing the springs and dampeners from your cars suspension and then driving over 6 inch deep pot holes for X minutes/hours.

That's ignoring the factor of the cold and wetness. While survivable, none of their boats are really designed for ocean going. The things that worked for them (especially the PBR) on rivers/lakes work against them on the ocean.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

He was saying that they survived. And that is a terrible disappointment for Top Gear, the rival show that would like to see them not survive.

Oh huh, that makes more sense but not nearly as interesting as him being so exhausted he forgot what show he was on.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    wrong thread

VishNub on
  • Options
    I will say these guys must have the patience of saints.
    because i'd bet good money if you put any "regular joe" in that same situation, add cameras, foreign countries, stress....that regular joe will lose his shit so quick.
    I know i would.