As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm a couple of episodes behind now.

But "I've broken Stalin's house" is one of the funniest things I've heard in ages :lol:

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That fake Stratos, I would get one if I had the money. Loved the 917 doc, and good on Dickie for driving that car again and being legit serious about it and I bet that's a genuine thing that May can only drive the older classics because he's less of an insurance risk.

While the airport segment was scripted because a duh, it seemed like they really did just write down all of Clarkson's complaints when they travel and have him say them again. And I did like their ideas. Also, that looked like it was the same airport that Come Fly With Me was filmed at (also I swear Narita Int'l. was like the longest walkway to and off the plane to the point where you wonder if you're actually going the right way because you just keep walking).

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The build up to Conversation Street always makes me laugh

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The build up to Conversation Street always makes me laugh

It's a pity they seem to be dropping all this. It seems like they finally got back into the groove this season

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dude, the budget alone in the first ten minutes of Mongolian adventure.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    How much could that possibly cost in Mongolia? Couple hundred miles for a helo shouldn't be crazy expensive. Providing Moron has an airport, anyway.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Moron does indeed have an airfield, and MI-8s are fairly common. So the helicopter stuff probably ended up costing less than the insurance and support.

• Options
    Three air drops of equipment from a helicopter in the middle of no where is cheap? What?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Not “cheap” but you can Heli-Ski in Canada for 5 grand. And that should be a load more expensive than hiring a helo in Mongolia

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    You're kidding? I had no idea.

Anyway, I love this special and I love the real camraderie and I don't know how much it's staged but they seem to be a lot more cooperative without booze?

• Options
    Or rather more cooperative with the promise of booze at the end.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That was a great episode.

We were cheering for John the whole time.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    According to the Amazon X-ray thingies the helo came from a mining company. Gonna guess a mining company in the middle of nowhere, Mongolia does not need helo for it's day to day operations so flying out, throw some crates out, and fly back wouldn't cost much since it would just be sitting in the hanger otherwise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    John was quite a departure in naming after Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

which was originally Jeff.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DHS wrote: »

which was originally Jeff.

I'd forgotten that :lol:

• Options
    Can someone explain the hopping? I assume it’s some wacky interaction with the differential, but John just bouncing up every mountain was hilarious.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    DHS wrote: »

which was originally Jeff Geoff.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    John's fate
    X-Ray General Trivia
    "The assembly car had to be scrapped after filming because it could not be sold or exported."

RIP

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    John :(

:cry:

• Options
    One thing this season has done is remind me I like gin and should drink it more often.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    John's fate
    X-Ray General Trivia
    "The assembly car had to be scrapped after filming because it could not be sold or exported."

RIP

I'm a bit disappointed that
    they didn't leave him on a hill somewhere. New landmark!

• Options
    I wonder why it couldn't be exported? Hammond kept Oliver right?

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

Country-specific rules, most likely... I wonder if they didn't know until the end though (I agree that it seems odd that if they knew that was the rules, they wouldn't have done a funeral pyre or something at the end)

• Options
    Gdiguy wrote: »

Country-specific rules, most likely... I wonder if they didn't know until the end though (I agree that it seems odd that if they knew that was the rules, they wouldn't have done a funeral pyre or something at the end)

Laws or rules or whatever that's a huge shame.

I had no idea about this x-ray trivia stuff, is it scene specific? I might have to start a rewatch.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Gdiguy wrote: »

Being a landlocked country bordering Russia and China has to make import/export rules really complicated (and expensive).

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    It also probably didn't help that John wasn't a regular car.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    That was a fantastic episode. I loved the cinematography. And I loved especially the whole seemingly unscripted nature of the episode. Other than "here is your car, go to Moron in 7 days", they didn't have any other objectives. No challenges, no silly games, nothing. And they had to be in one car, not each his own car.

If that is a sign of things to come in season 4, where they abandon the tent and only do specials, then that season will be glorious.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The joke about them not knowing what to do without alcohol was funny, but also a weirdly alien experience for me. I've never had alcohol so the idea of being without it being some terrible hardship was amusing from that perspective.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    An outstanding finale. Might be a bit British-centric for those of you elsewhere, but it nods to the roots of the car culture these guys we love were forged in.

And then, to close it out...

I tip my hat, guys. Marvellous.

The Grand Tour is dead... long live The Grand Tour!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I am sad that just as they got settled with stuff like a female test driver and good studio stuff they're dropping it all but I can see where they're older now and maybe 10-13 travel films a year with 5 or so months off might work better for them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Abbie was great and it's a shame she didn't get more acknowledgement (just things like, you know, calling her by her name). I hope her career takes her places, she's a phenomenal driver.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I want to know how she manages to never blink.

• Options
    I'd like to hear her opinions on various of the cars she's driven on the show. Especially the older ones.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Check her twitter, she comments on episodes as they go up.

• Options
    I always forget about bloody Twitter for things that actually might be of interest and not awful :lol:

• Options
    No no, @Jazz, Twitter is fucking terrible and it's just going to destroy your brain and no joke, it's a fucking wasteland of humanity.

However, Abbie posts stuff like this!

and this, which is the first thing I searched for after that recent special.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    She came out on twitter back at the time they did the Colombia special and they kept making gay jokes about Clarkson and his jeep, posted a pic of her and her girlfriend on a ski slope or some such. There's some commentary on the track car each week and on the things like the suitcase. (It needed more padding.) It wasn't the best or the strongest episode this season, but the personal stories at the start were quite good and I was surprised to see Clarkson tear up at the end.

Nosf on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I'm really glad they're going to keep going with the specials. I liked the new format with the tent, but the trips to god knows where are the ones I remember, like the Africa special from series 19 (Mongolia being a very close second).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Catching up but watched Mongolia, really did feel like they're all alcoholics and were trying to make due in order to get more of their vices. Kind of impressive and sad at the same time. At least in the North Pole they did have liquor.