Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Piggly Squat Farm Is A Squeal

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    "Royalist but not racist" is just... insane, as far as lines to draw. The royal family was, as a whole, tremendously racist towards what seems to be a pretty normal person and they were that horrible simply because she had the sheer gall to exist in a relationship in proximity to them (while blatantly ignoring the fact that their own family tree is closer to a family wreath at this point). Defending the royal family for being racist assholes 100% puts you in their corner as a racist asshole.
    Mc zany wrote: »
    I'm astonished it took this long for Clarkson to get this all cancelled again. He's a rich royalist Boomer into cars with a career in entertainment for being a generally-tolerable asshole.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Clarkson has never been that tolerable outside of Top Gear (he was a bit of a muppet there as well but at least everyone could say he was playing a character). He got away with it by being famous enough for people to downplay his hijinks as banter.

I don't disagree with you because, to clarify, I meant he was tolerable enough that his current media company could at least paper over dumbass comments and they could edit out anything really over the line before broadcasting anything. He wasn't going around firing off flagrantly racist unedited commentary in the public eye on regular basis.

He's clearly been a jerk since basically forever, though, seems like it was only a matter of time before he stepped too far in public.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It drops February 10th, that's this Friday! I can count!

I do hope at some point Clarkson and Gerald hold down Kaleb and cut his stupid fucking hair, all the time saying "no cap this ain't bussin' fr fr."

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Surprised this is airing after Clarkson got shitcanned. Must've been ready to go.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    They were already filming season/series 3 by the time all that drama happened.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Has Amazon actually canceled them? I’ve heard probably “to be canceled” and “likely canceled” but I haven’t seen anything definite from Amazon.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Amazon's statement was 'We will no longer be working with Jeremy Clarkson after current projects are finished." Considering that this show and at least one other Grand Tour special are still in the can and there's no guarantee there'd be any more anyway it makes Amazon's statement even more toothless.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Seen the first two episodes of Farm s2 and it's still very good television.

• Options
    With the chili cooking scene in the rugby kitchen, I haven't laughed that long in a long time, because it's unscripted and all three of them thought they would be able to power through it.

Just like the first season it's amazing to just watch visually.

• Options
    Through six episodes, it's again my favorite show of the year. Highlighting the NIMBY-ism and how counter productive it is that they fight a guy who has the money and willingness to subsidize the community that needs it the most when they're getting fucked over from multiples angles from government to world events. The badger thing is just infuriating as it destroys farmers and they're just supposed to sit and take it, become the Badger Slayer:

2Z2XI7Q.jpg

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Can I just say how much I appreciate the cinematography of the show.
    Just watching that harvester doing it's ting in gorgeous 4k video is spectacular, easily the best looking show on Prime.

Could do without the extreme close up of cows shitting though.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Through six episodes, it's again my favorite show of the year. Highlighting the NIMBY-ism and how counter productive it is that they fight a guy who has the money and willingness to subsidize the community that needs it the most when they're getting fucked over from multiples angles from government to world events. The badger thing is just infuriating as it destroys farmers and they're just supposed to sit and take it, become the Badger Slayer:

That farm is in the middle of an area of outstanding natural beauty, which means there are strict limits on what can be built there. This is almost certainly why he bought the farm in the first place. He used a loophole to get the cafe built but building anything else was always going to be a tough ask as it was going to be tricky to get the planning permission. His pitch of trickle down economics hold very little water in the UK.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Went through the first episode, immediately delivered.

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

That farm is in the middle of an area of outstanding natural beauty, which means there are strict limits on what can be built there. This is almost certainly why he bought the farm in the first place. He used a loophole to get the cafe built but building anything else was always going to be a tough ask as it was going to be tricky to get the planning permission. His pitch of trickle down economics hold very little water in the UK.
    Yeah, I like the show but I very carefully try not to be on Clarkson's side too much, as we are mostly seeing his version of things. I think he generally means well and his idea of using his restaurant to help other struggling farmers in the area isn't bad, but then again I don't have to live next to his chicanery.

Though I did have the thought "I'm sure he could find a farm in a town with a council that would be way into him doing whatever since he's famous" but I have to imagine he's grown pretty attached to Diddly Squat by now.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I'm so confused by the UKs standards for areas of outstanding natural beauty or whatever, as far as I can tell that area is all just farmers fields with a few trees thrown between said fields as boundaries. I can't see any other country throwing conservatory status on...farming fields like that o.O

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Clarkson does seem to have a real fondness for the farm and farmers in general; doing a little reading suggests famers and farmer associations in England have been pretty pleased with the show and how it presents the profession and its problem to the masses.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm so confused by the UKs standards for areas of outstanding natural beauty or whatever, as far as I can tell that area is all just farmers fields with a few trees thrown between said fields as boundaries. I can't see any other country throwing conservatory status on...farming fields like that o.O

It's not that unusual, at least in Europe. It's part cultural heritage and part protection of the biospheres that have developed in these kinds of manmade landscapes.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    honovere wrote: »

It's not that unusual, at least in Europe. It's part cultural heritage and part protection of the biospheres that have developed in these kinds of manmade landscapes.

Interesting. In Canada that area looks like virtually any rural farming area in the summer and we only tend to put extremely restrictive conservation clauses on government owned parks which will have no farming, buildings etc period. But then again I guess we do have a lot more open unused spaces so there isn't as much need.

Slightly related I was also amazed by the badger protected status. I grew up on a farm in Alberta where bovine tb isn't a real concern but we lost so many chickens, rabbits and even the occasional dog to badgers I can't imagine just giving them free reign like the UK does.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Interesting. In Canada that area looks like virtually any rural farming area in the summer and we only tend to put extremely restrictive conservation clauses on government owned parks which will have no farming, buildings etc period. But then again I guess we do have a lot more open unused spaces so there isn't as much need.

Slightly related I was also amazed by the badger protected status. I grew up on a farm in Alberta where bovine tb isn't a real concern but we lost so many chickens, rabbits and even the occasional dog to badgers I can't imagine just giving them free reign like the UK does.

1xmgcyrnc58i.png

e: or Canada.

1guyadm2lrnr.png

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I admit, I'm not familiar with the landscape-view you're talking about, but from my understanding the UK (well, England, anyway) treats a lot of their farmland as kind of like historical sites. Which, some of them kind of are. Some of those hedge-rows you see running between plots of farmland are/were tended by farmers, to do things like separate crops as well as playing double-duty as livestock fencing, and they've been there and working as such for 100+ years. So I can understand how folks might want to keep it looking as it does.

You know, for The Greater Good.
    The Greater Good :wink:

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I admit, I'm not familiar with the landscape-view you're talking about, but from my understanding the UK (well, England, anyway) treats a lot of their farmland as kind of like historical sites. Which, some of them kind of are. Some of those hedge-rows you see running between plots of farmland are/were tended by farmers, to do things like separate crops as well as playing double-duty as livestock fencing, and they've been there and working as such for 100+ years. So I can understand how folks might want to keep it looking as it does.

You know, for The Greater Good.
    The Greater Good :wink:

I think your 100 number's a little low. They've got stone fences in Britain that are 3000+ years old. Though many are going to be in a 400-500 year old range.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, That type of farm (smallish, run by one person) would be zoned as a A-1 agricultural land in the USA so he wouldn't be able to open a restaurant there either.

But yeah, without those laws, that land would have been developed into housing years ago (it is within commuting distance of several large towns and a massive city.) and Clarkson's Diddly Squat farm probably would not exist.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    The way different countries handle things is actually fascinating. I don't know the specifics but my parents farm is ~500 acres, a 25 minute drive to the province capital (Edmonton) and all I know is rules must be lax as the farm beside them has a general store/restaurant/liquor (they even do pizza delivery now lol)store combo on it that sell nothing local as well as a marketplace setup Mennonites come to sell their stuff from about 80 km away.

I don't know how truthful this is but over on Reddit they're saying there's another farm in the same district as Jeremy's owned by a lord Blamford or something that also has a restaurants, store, and luxury gym where memberships cost 300€ a month that the council has no problem with o.O

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    The way different countries handle things is actually fascinating. I don't know the specifics but my parents farm is ~500 acres, a 25 minute drive to the province capital (Edmonton) and all I know is rules must be lax as the farm beside them has a general store/restaurant/liquor (they even do pizza delivery now lol)store combo on it that sell nothing local as well as a marketplace setup Mennonites come to sell their stuff from about 80 km away.

I don't know how truthful this is but over on Reddit they're saying there's another farm in the same district as Jeremy's owned by a lord Blamford or something that also has a restaurants, store, and luxury gym where memberships cost 300€ a month that the council has no problem with o.O

It's mild generalisation but if you have land AND a title over here in the UK, lots of things are just..,very easy for you to do, even compared to someone with Jeremy's funds and status.

As for the show in general, I always found JC to be the least interesting part of Top Gear, and i mean it is heavily incentivised to make him seem like a decent bloke in Clarkson's farm, but most of what he deals with and encounters are pretty accurate from my living in a fairly rural part of england (Somerset). Gerald and his accent is basically what most quiet village pubs sound like.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    BoredGamer wrote: »

It's mild generalisation but if you have land AND a title over here in the UK, lots of things are just..,very easy for you to do, even compared to someone with Jeremy's funds and status.

As for the show in general, I always found JC to be the least interesting part of Top Gear, and i mean it is heavily incentivised to make him seem like a decent bloke in Clarkson's farm, but most of what he deals with and encounters are pretty accurate from my living in a fairly rural part of england (Somerset). Gerald and his accent is basically what most quiet village pubs sound like.

Part of me has hoped with the farm show that JC actually had to come face to face with a bit of prolonged hardship. He has been wealthy and out of touch for so long that a bit of humbling would be good for him.

Now obviously we know that even if he has come to appreciate the regular folks and day to day hard labor, he hasn’t learned how to shut his damn mouth when he starts running it, which is a shame.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

They're very different badgers and the cull is quite a political item over here, made worse when the generally pro-cull Tories intentionally avoiding collecting data on it's efficacy after preliminary data showed that it made no difference. Nobody wants bTB to spread, but from the farmers point of view killing the badgers has a lot less of an impact on them compared to the alternatives (increased screening and stricter movement controls, possibly vaccination). However from the data we've got it looks like those alternatives are the actual effective measures and the widespread culling of badgers leads to increased movement of badgers over a larger range, alongside no difference in prevalence in bTB between areas that culled and those that didn't.

One option for my final year project was titled "Use of Farm Equipment by Badgers", I was quite disappointed to find out it was a bTB thing rather than joyrides on tractors.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Gerald is amazing.

Cow impregnation, less so.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    In regards to Clarkson and a situation like the badgers, this show represents the dual problem of farmers a) being very important to the health of a country and b) farmers having extremely fucking narrow views in regards to what the "world" is. To the traditional farmer, their farm is their world. Everything outside the farm is not in the world and is just some place where there goods go to get sold. And worldwide, we've taken absolute fucktons of the best wilderness and turned it into flat, boring farms that are almost monocultures because, hundreds of years ago, other farmers went "hey, this place is pretty, let's rip down all the trees and put a farm here". As it stands now, the UK has annihilated nearly all of its wilderness and replaced it all with blocks upon blocks upon blocks of either farm or towns, often with shocking levels of insularity. Kaleb is a phenomenal example of this in that he's an entirely capable and trained farmer and he can barely function if you take him fifty miles away, especially if you put him in an urban area. Even having met farmers, it astounds me just how narrow and limited Kaleb's view of the world is.

The bottom line is farmers should get no say in getting to plow under the handful of habitats the future-conscious people have managed to, by fighting tooth and nail, keep from being destroyed. I'd rather see Clarkson's entire farm burned down and let return to wilderness than remove a single badger in the area. The same goes for the hundred surrounding farms. Guess fucking what? If badgers are a problem, don't raise shit that attracts badgers, or can be infected by them. They've been living on that island since human were still walking over the horizon for the first time. And we don't need those fucking farms. The farmers need them.

It's the exact same shitty attitude that ranchers in the US have towards wolves. We took invasive herds and shoved them into wolf territory, then let whining ranchers wipe out the wolves because they painted the wolves as an overwhelming evil threat. But as it turns out, bringing wolves back hugely improves the health of the local ecosystem. So fucking what if the wolves pick out a handful of sheep or cattle a year? We literally have programs to pay ranchers for those losses! But no, that's not good enough. Ranchers think it is their fucking god-given right to graze those public lands totally unhindered and that wolves are the spawn of Satan himself.

I appreciate that this whole farm thing has seemed to widen Clarkson's perspective. Unfortunately, it seems to have only widened it as far as the average asshole Boomer farmer that doesn't give two shits about turning the world into a barren shitheap of five animal species as long as their farm is protected from mean old badgers. These are the same rural folks who voted for Brexit and then, insanely, were pissed when that turned out to be a huge fucking problem for them personally because Brexit wasn't supposed to hurt them, it was supposed to get rid of those mean old EU limits and hurt lots of scary foreign people.

Fuck what Clarkson has to say about the badgers. People will have to live on this planet after rich assholes like him die and the damage done by badgers doesn't level farms unless the government is shitty and doesn't have any money because of a bunch of really shitty morons voting to hurt the faceless "other guy" instead of voting to build a better future.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    We got the wolf debate here too, now that they're very slowly returning after being basically hunted to extinction and lot of farmers and sheepherders basically want them to be all get killed again because they kill the sheep. Except that it's actually mainly dogs killing sheep and has been for years.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Just finished season two. Really enjoyed it.

Last line was a winner.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    It was a pretty great season and I liked that they have a story more or less this time with pretty much everything being about starting the restaurant.

• Options
    Finished the season, great sequel. One thing that makes it more rewatchable compared to the first season is that lack of death that existed due to the sheep in the first season. Would have liked to see more of the labradors, they should be named James and Richard.

'ate me town council
    'ate me badgers

luv me Diddly Squat
    luv me G-Dog
    luv me Pepper

simple as

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have seen Clarkson's Farm 2 and it was amazing and heartbreaking and enraging in all the best ways.

I'm going to take some time to unpack my personal and utter disgust with Clarkson as a person and this show which I dearly love.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Having watched Clarkson's Farm 2, being not from the UK, and having never dealt with a US Town Council, the Town Council reminds me a lot of US Homeowners' Associations. The whole "no parking cone every 10 feet for miles, actually making the road less usable than having a few cars parked on it would have been" is 100% vindictive HOA behavior.

I liked the second season but I felt like the focus on the restaurant made it feel smaller and less organic than the first season's "generally watch Clarkson fail at a new farming task or 3 every episode" format.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Finished watching the new season, great show, but I think it kind of ended too abruptly.
    I want to know if the restaurant stayed open after that first day, I wanted to see the counsel reaction to it and all the fallout.

The differences in tone was due to the fact that the sheep were gone, they were basically the antagonist of the first season and added a ton of drama and excitement. In this one the cows are so well mannered in comparison that there's not much to do other watch them poop.
    The antagonist in this season is bureaucracy, and there are no winners when you go up against bureaucracy, only more bureaucracy.

in closing, fuck that Clark Duke look alike and looking forward to season 3 where his neighbors will be BlackRock and Bill Gates, cuz there's no way any of his current neighbors will survive this shit for another year.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm a liberal guy and I understand the need for some government oversight with land use, you want to be able to stop a person from buying a bunch of farmland and put up a fucking casino or something, but stopping a person from building a parking lot or a goddamn farm access road ?

Come the fuck on.

It's clear the majority of the village hate Jeremy personally, which I understand, I don't personally like him either. But it's clear his plans were to be a net benefit to everyone (particularly the young people of that village).

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    In the council's defense, if Clarkson really wanted to set up a restaurant to benefit local farmers (including himself), he'd have leased a space somewhere in the area that's already zoned for being a restaurant and just had his farm's produce trucked over there the same way all the other farmers would have to. Doing it on the farm - especially knowing that the council is generally pissed at him over his farm shop so are unlikely to make it an easy process - is obviously a thing to manufacture challenge and adversity for the show.

But not letting him fix the parking situation or build his access road were purely dick moves.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    The farm is in the Cotswolds isn’t it? It’s the 2nd biggest protected landscape in England after the Lake District (it’s about a 20 min drive from where I live).

I’m sure there was a farm somewhere that wasn’t in a district with the highest number of conservation areas in the country, with a community that would have benefited from investment and interest of visiting a restaurant of a massive misogynist tool.

“Mr Clarkson, what’s the reason you decided to buy a property in one of the most picturesque and affluent areas in the country rather than somewhere like near Burnley?”

Considering what an enormous twat he’s proven himself to be and that it’s isn’t an act, I’m surprised people aren’t being a little more critical with the story he is telling.

And before people think I’m being too harsh on the racist women hating Clarkson, it’s just a joke. Like on Top Gear.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The farm is in the Cotswolds isn’t it? It’s the 2nd biggest protected landscape in England after the Lake District (it’s about a 20 min drive from where I live).

I’m sure there was a farm somewhere that wasn’t in a district with the highest number of conservation areas in the country, with a community that would have benefited from investment and interest of visiting a restaurant of a massive misogynist tool.

“Mr Clarkson, what’s the reason you decided to buy a property in one of the most picturesque and affluent areas in the country rather than somewhere like near Burnley?”

Considering what an enormous twat he’s proven himself to be and that it’s isn’t an act, I’m surprised people aren’t being a little more critical with the story he is telling.

And before people think I’m being too harsh on the racist women hating Clarkson, it’s just a joke. Like on Top Gear.
    IIRC he said in the first episode he bought the farm a while ago, he just paid someone to run it for him till they retired and he thought he try doing it himself. So I assume he bought the place because he thought it was pretty, then got attached to it and now doesn't want to move.

Cause otherwise I agree that if he's really interested in making this farming this work how he wants it he'd be better off moving to another town. I'm sure he can find a farm in a town that'd be thrilled to have a famous rich guy do whatever.

• Options
    In the council's defense, if Clarkson really wanted to set up a restaurant to benefit local farmers (including himself), he'd have leased a space somewhere in the area that's already zoned for being a restaurant and just had his farm's produce trucked over there the same way all the other farmers would have to. Doing it on the farm - especially knowing that the council is generally pissed at him over his farm shop so are unlikely to make it an easy process - is obviously a thing to manufacture challenge and adversity for the show.

But not letting him fix the parking situation or build his access road were purely dick moves.

The parking issue was one of his own making when he put down seating for 100 when he only had approval for 10. The road was denied because it almostly certainly was going to be used for the restaurant and not for farming (he even admits this on the show).

A town planner on Reddit says
    In 10 years time when the show has finished, will there be the requirement for formalised parking for 70 cars within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? He keeps saying that farmers protect the AONB, but the AONB is protected by the very legislation he is trying to fight, and that is the reason it remains an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - because people aren't allowed to pave it to put in parking areas. He often looks over the hills and says how beautiful it is - would he feel the same if every farm had a farm shop, restaurant and 70 car parking area?