Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Piggly Squat Farm Is A Squeal

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    It was open from sometime in July to 12th of August when they got the notice, giving them 6 weeks to make some changes to stay open.
    Clarkson was going to appeal, but has since given up.

District Councils are a little different from Home Owner associations. A Parish Council might be closer in size that deals with a village, but a District will comprise a larger chuck of a County - perhaps half minus any large towns or cities. This West Oxfordshire District covers around 100K people.

With planning things like this, you put in an application and then notices will go up in the local area about what you are planning to do as part of a consultation with local residents. They got 53 letters complaining about the expansion and 12 letters supporting it. Which when you see the farmers nearby who aren't getting Amazon bucks, and the traffic issues the celebrity farm shop caused...well hard to not to sympathise.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    It was open from sometime in July to 12th of August when they got the notice, giving them 6 weeks to make some changes to stay open.

District Councils are a little different from Home Owner associations. A Parish Council might be closer in size that deals with a village, but a District will comprise a larger chuck of a County - perhaps half minus any large towns or cities. This West Oxfordshire District covers around 100K people.

With planning things like this, you put in an application and then notices will go up in the local area about what you are planning to do as part of a consultation with local residents. They got 53 letters complaining about the expansion and 12 letters supporting it. Which when you see the farmers nearby who aren't getting Amazon bucks, and the traffic issues the celebrity farm shop caused...well hard to not to sympathise.

He's recently, as in past couple days, restarted two appeals; one for the parking lot and one for the restaurant. So not quite done but honestly I dont know what will change at this point.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

He's recently, as in past couple days, restarted two appeals; one for the parking lot and one for the restaurant. So not quite done but honestly I dont know what will change at this point.

He's got to have some material for Season 3.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

There isn't going to be a season 3, Amazon canned all future projects with him over the Megan article.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

There isn't going to be a season 3, Amazon canned all future projects with him over the Megan article.

i'm pretty sure season 3 is already in the can and confirmed to be released next year.

• Options

Specifically all future uncommisioned projects. Season 3 will be out at some point, likely around this time in 2024. And there are 4 more Grand Tour specials in the pipe too, slated to run up to late 2024.

• Options

There's still another season (3) coming; the newspaper article he wrote led to there not being a Season 4.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Yeah, given the annual nature of farming and where season 2 ends, they would have been half way through season 3 when the article came out

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Yeah, given the annual nature of farming and where season 2 ends, they would have been half way through season 3 when the article came out

Now Clarkson can end it with a cancelled joke. I'm sure he'll like that.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Seen the first two episodes of Farm s2 and it's still very good television.

Yeah, Jeremy Clarkson, not a nice man. Not a man who should write about anything other than 'stuff that happened to me'. But a man who makes excellent TV.

We've had a bit of a run of problematic but excellent content lately. What with Clarksons Farm, and the new Harry Potter game to name a couple. Cruel people should just all agree to make bad stuff.

There's still another season (3) coming; the newspaper article he wrote led to there not being a Season 4.

Not being a season 4 on Amazon. It's more than popular enough, and made by Clarksons company, that he'll be able to fully self produce and sell a season 4.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Clarkson's attitude is 100% "it's my land, I should be able to do what I want with it!", as is typical of so many short-sighted farmers and ranchers. He moved into gorgeous protected land and now wants exceptions made because he only wants to unprotect a little bit of it, then is getting annoyed when the people around go "no, you can't fucking fuck up this land for your ego". And the local council isn't responding to him for being Jeremy Clarkson, they're responding to him as a council of people from an extremely insular lifestyle also attempting to protect the area from a rich asshole. Yeah, there are some shitty attitudes there to be sure, but that council exists literally to keep assholes from fucking up the land.

If Clarkson wants the damn restaurant, put it up in the local town. Parking and access already exist, transporting the food items to the restaurant a couple times a week is orders of magnitude less damaging to the environment than hundreds of people a week driving out to his farm, it isn't setting the precedent of taking protected land and fucking paving it, and the whole town can benefit from the extra tourism. But then it wouldn't be on his land and part of his ego trip.

It's fascinating watching Clarkson simultaneously increasingly embracing farming while still falling for the bullshit side of classic farmer attitudes coupled with his aggressive rich Boomer arrogance. We definitely saw this same conflict in S1 as well, where we saw Clarkson lamenting about the huge reduction in insect populations... and then in a different episode whining about lost produce because the EU forbade a particularly nasty kind of insecticide which, big surprise, has heavily contributed to reduced insect populations. Give it another 10-20 years and maybe he'll finally realize that fucking over the ecosystem so his farm can pull in one or two more plots of produce is a horrible fucking decision.

• Options
    Meanwhile, this place is about 10 minutes down the road from Diddly Squat. Its in a different parish (might not be the 100% correct term for England but you get the idea) and they got approved with little to no problem. Explains at least a little bit of the salt, it's not *quite* apples to apples but what he's trying is like 1 tenth of this place, if that.

https://www.daylesford.com/our-locations/daylesford-farm

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah I have no doubt if Clarkson tried to make a restaurant in town they'd throw just as much of a hissy fit as they are now. Because it's not just about powerrrrrr, it's that he's bringing those undesirables into their posh second-home world, what with their turkey twizzlers in hand and second hand Skodas parking right next to someone's Jaaaag.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Meanwhile, this place is about 10 minutes down the road from Diddly Squat. Its in a different parish (might not be the 100% correct term for England but you get the idea) and they got approved with little to no problem. Explains at least a little bit of the salt, it's not *quite* apples to apples but what he's trying is like 1 tenth of this place, if that.

I mean, if it's that close by, then it's 100% clear to me why the council wouldn't clear Clarkson for it: there is already a fucking farm right nearby doing exactly what he proposes and this place doesn't look like the half-assed job Clarkson always does. And if that place is pulling customers, it's pulling customers for what it is, not because Clarkson's name and fame is slapped on it. It's not even just a farm, it appears to be a whole produce and event center with multiple shops and everything. The only thing it doesn't have is somebody riding on decades of fame from a TV show.

To be clear, I'm not directing this at you in the slightest, but the reasons why this other place was cleared and Clarkson's plan is not should be 100% obvious to anybody that's not a rich egotistical Boomer fixated on the Reagan years of Capitalism where everybody should be free to plow under whatever they want as long as it gets them money (or in this case, feeds an ego). The whole thing comes across like an 8 year old being mad that his parents won't let him turn a pretty wilded front yard apart to put in parking for a shitty wreck of a lemonade stand when you live next door to a very nice ice cream parlor or something.

Clarkson is already unconscionably rich, why the fuck should the local council let him do something that will a) clearly harm the landscape because of how Clarkson does things and b) will redirect money away from the local economy and directly into Clarkson's pockets? And then Clarkson whines about it on a show? So yeah, I totally get the council getting pissed off about this and deciding to just uniformly make Clarkson's life miserable for being a miserable wrecking ball of a person. Five bucks says there are people on that council getting actively harassed because of this situation, by people who don't live with a hundred miles of the place.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I honestly don't see how you can compare the two. Daylesford looks to have been run by the same people for 25 years, has a different local authority, they've most likely had some back and forth about what would be acceptable, and they don't seem to be taking the piss.

Clarkson's schtick seems to just be to build and see what happens. Well what happens is that you don't know what roof to have, and it leads to your shop getting closed. Maybe using "a delightful little loophole" to allow the restaurant wasn't the best of ideas.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I don't agree with a person being able to buy any land and do whatever they want with it, within reason and nuance for a particular situation.

Nothing Clarkson proposed, I felt, actually threatened any natural beauty on a scale to oppose. Of course, I don't live there, and it's up to that council to make the decision, but the attitudes felt spiteful and not constructive. Like that one guy who said he likes to go outside at night and look at the sky. That's great, do you think a handful of security lights on a parking lot (where he does not live) is going to impact his nightly sky gazing?

And the tractor road. There's no impact there and I don't think the reason for the road should have any impact. Is it going to be used for the restaurant? Just for farming? Who gives a shit? The change to the landscape is the same and it would reduce road traffic as he can move farm equipment without using public roads.

The council felt like so many other HOAs where it's about petty vindication instead of actually analyzing each situation with a little objectivity.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    This is amusing to me because I like the show but fully see both sides are being shitheads. The council hate Jeremy and won't let him do anything, including stuff that should be a no-brainer. Jeremy is also an asshole who doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks even when he really should.

• Options

Next county even, not just Parish. Whilst they are both in the Cotswolds, Chipping Norton is in Oxfordshire, whilst Daylesford is in Gloucestershire.
    I also wouldn't be that surprised if Gloucestershire tended towards being a little more farming friendly whilst West Oxfordshire has a larger set of second homes and retirees

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Nothing Clarkson proposed, I felt, actually threatened any natural beauty on a scale to oppose. Of course, I don't live there, and it's up to that council to make the decision, but the attitudes felt spiteful and not constructive. Like that one guy who said he likes to go outside at night and look at the sky. That's great, do you think a handful of security lights on a parking lot (where he does not live) is going to impact his nightly sky gazing?

Except the obvious trap here is that Clarkson whines and goes "but it's just one little parking lot!" and next thing you know, every farm has a parking lot with their glaring lights at night. And in a landscape where you can see for miles because it isn't fucked by advertisements and light pollution, now instead of all the nice houses you're seeing a bunch of ugly super-bright cheapass parking lot lights, drilling photons through your windows all through the night.

The situation is obviously two sets of spiteful assholes with one side getting to deal out all the actual spite but to be honest, I gotta side with the council almost down the whole line here. They aren't giving Clarkson an inch because if they do, he's jam money into that inch and the next thing you know he's putting up a waterpark with floodlights you can see over the horizon.

But I also really really really think if, say, James May was doing this then the story would be extremely different. Even May would probably get annoyed at how stiff-necked some of the rules are, but he would at least start by trying to do things the right way and dealing with the council civilly instead of just ramming ideas through via loopholes. He wouldn't be bewildered at why he's getting fought at every turn because he would bother to understand that he decided to move into an area that looks a certain way and maybe taking a bulldozer to everything on whim isn't the way to handle things.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Yeah. While I enjoyed bits of this season, I think I've also hit my limit of Clarksonism for a while. The number of times he whines about something because he couldn't be assed to look into anything in advance got pretty tiring.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with the 'slippery slope' argument. He's not talking about anything more than what was proposed, so deal with that proposal and feel free to shut down the next one if it's deemed to be too much.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with the 'slippery slope' argument. He's not talking about anything more than what was proposed, so deal with that proposal and feel free to shut down the next one if it's deemed to be too much.

He applied and was granted the ability to build the barn. Now he wants to turn that barn into a small restaurant. Seems that it's pretty apt to worry about the slippery slope when you start slipping down the side of the slope

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Watching the Farm show and how in the hell are roosters so loud, you'd think a small delicious animal would want to keep quiet?

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    Watching the Farm show and how in the hell are roosters so loud, you'd think a small delicious animal would want to keep quiet?

A full cockerel has raptor spurs, starting the day bellowing "Death to my enemies" is their general vibe. They do occasionally kill people (though usually people getting careless around birds they have bred for fighting).

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Holy shit Clarkson has the Land Rover with the optional booze cabinet, fucking of course he does

• Options
    Holy shit Clarkson has the Land Rover with the optional booze cabinet, fucking of course he does

For dogging

• Options

Good chance they gave that one to Top Gear and he kept/brought it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I'm a liberal guy and I understand the need for some government oversight with land use, you want to be able to stop a person from buying a bunch of farmland and put up a fucking casino or something, but stopping a person from building a parking lot or a goddamn farm access road ?

Come the fuck on.

It's clear the majority of the village hate Jeremy personally, which I understand, I don't personally like him either. But it's clear his plans were to be a net benefit to everyone (particularly the young people of that village).
    As someone who has pulled permits professionally, never underestimate the petty nature of city planning commissions.

It’s easy to say no, and they are looking for reasons to say no. Jeremy didn’t really give a compelling reason to say yes.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Good chance they gave that one to Top Gear and he kept/brought it.
    I do remember an episode of TG where Clarkson showed off an expensive 'hunting' Range Rover with a bar in the back, mainly because of the bit where he pulled a leather case out of the back and said "This here contains a brace of shotguns. And to give you an idea how ridiculously expensive these shotguns are, the Range Rover costs over 100k, and the shotguns cost more than that."

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    People with that kind of money don't hunt, they have a short walk and then use overwhelming firepower to execute a critter somebody staged and with no intention of eating the meat or anything like that. May as well really show what a rich asshole snob you are and go fox "hunting" instead.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    People with that kind of money don't hunt, they have a short walk and then use overwhelming firepower to execute a critter somebody staged and with no intention of eating the meat or anything like that. May as well really show what a rich asshole snob you are and go fox "hunting" instead.

For exotic trophy hunts, sure. There's definitely a horse lot in the UK that are there for the various social aspects that come with owning these dogs and horses, I'm definitely not defending it, but it is a lot more hands on and can be the equivalent of 'golf' for the downtime. No one would ever assume you meant to eat the fox. Plus if you were going shooting it'd be for birds.

Also bear in mind that it would rarely be your land, so obviously you don't get to eat what you shoot. Goes to the kitchen and landowner. We're miles away from US hunting culture. This is the last remnant of the local lord taking the nobility out to hunt boar, to entertain them and so he doesn't need to waste a cow on visitors.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/jeremy-clarkson-named-uk-sexiest-male-2023-poll-susanna-reid-b1064612.html

Is... is this real? I don't even trust my lying eyes any more.

Man, I gotta start framing, or at take some photos on a Lamborghini Tractor for my dating profile.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Please, please, please make it this season so the fucking producer doesn't get screentime because he wants to be the third wheel (I think it's the same guy who does his Man in Japan/Italy stuff too)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Please, please, please make it this season so the fucking producer doesn't get screentime because he wants to be the third wheel (I think it's the same guy who does his Man in Japan/Italy stuff too)

italy was better than japan in that regard so they are improving.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The face of the lady in the back is perfect.

Bring on all the James May shows!

• Options
    does she get to stay outside of the closet this time?

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Getting through the end of Clarkson's Farm and a couple points.

The first is that I'm quite astonished that Clarkson formed a coop with the other local farmers. That hews dangerously close to socialism, far moreso that I would've ever thought him capable especially given his pigheaded nature.

The second is that it's outright hilarious that the lawyer brought up to try and stop Clarkson argued chiefly from the viewpoint that Clarkson used his farm shop as a "Trojan horse" to get to the restaurant. Just... c'mon. Anybody that's seen this guy operate for five seconds knows he can't plan his way out of a broom closet. The closest he ever gets to a plan is a broad idea, then a bunch of other people have to do the actual planning. Just an embarrassing tack for a lawyer to take when they're getting paid to try and come up with ways to stop Clarkson.

EDIT: Also, as harsh as I was on Clarkson about some stuff, yeah, this council is straight-up fucking with Clarkson because some person or persons has a stick up their ass about him drawing the "wrong" kind of people to the area. Case in point is the lighting. Council asshole objects to the lighting needed and I bet you a thousand bucks he can't even fucking see Clarkson's farm from his own home, not to mention how immensely galling it was to hear about how he enjoyed sitting out in the dark on his huge estate. Well no shit, asshole, maybe other people who aren't stupidly rich would like to see something like that? And on top of that, how about discussing lighting that won't pollute the area? That kind of lighting absolutely exists. And then the council changes its mind about the farm shop roof? Yeah, this is straight-up harassment at this point.

But it's clear that most of the people on that council are pissed that Clarkson is drawing the riff-raff to "their" pristine area and they couldn't give two shits about preserving the livelihoods of literally dozens of farmers that would be part of Clarkson's restaurant. And how many other farmers would have half a million pounds to throw at a pissing contest to make some heavily-considered local changes that could help keep a whole pile of people from going destitute?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

The first is that I'm quite astonished that Clarkson formed a coop with the other local farmers. That hews dangerously close to socialism, far moreso that I would've ever thought him capable especially given his pigheaded nature.

The second is that it's outright hilarious that the lawyer brought up to try and stop Clarkson argued chiefly from the viewpoint that Clarkson used his farm shop as a "Trojan horse" to get to the restaurant. Just... c'mon. Anybody that's seen this guy operate for five seconds knows he can't plan his way out of a broom closet. The closest he ever gets to a plan is a broad idea, then a bunch of other people have to do the actual planning. Just an embarrassing tack for a lawyer to take when they're getting paid to try and come up with ways to stop Clarkson.

EDIT: Also, as harsh as I was on Clarkson about some stuff, yeah, this council is straight-up fucking with Clarkson because some person or persons has a stick up their ass about him drawing the "wrong" kind of people to the area. Case in point is the lighting. Council asshole objects to the lighting needed and I bet you a thousand bucks he can't even fucking see Clarkson's farm from his own home, not to mention how immensely galling it was to hear about how he enjoyed sitting out in the dark on his huge estate. Well no shit, asshole, maybe other people who aren't stupidly rich would like to see something like that? And on top of that, how about discussing lighting that won't pollute the area? That kind of lighting absolutely exists. And then the council changes its mind about the farm shop roof? Yeah, this is straight-up harassment at this point.

But it's clear that most of the people on that council are pissed that Clarkson is drawing the riff-raff to "their" pristine area and they couldn't give two shits about preserving the livelihoods of literally dozens of farmers that would be part of Clarkson's restaurant. And how many other farmers would have half a million pounds to throw at a pissing contest to make some heavily-considered local changes that could help keep a whole pile of people from going destitute?

I'm amused by this post because of how I was thinking your earlier posts said "I haven't seen all of this" but didn't want to call you out on it, but also, am glad to see it because I LOVE clarkson as an on air personality, but the fact it's his stock personality fucking sucks. So to see him actually engage in "important" things is good. My feeling in this series was the same as I have in a lot of things like this. "The rich asshole is an asshole, but those conservative sticks in the mud are assholes too".

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

One point of order, the council didn't change their mind about the roof after the fact. Clarkson ran ahead with building before getting the planning permission finalised, so his bad really. You can argue that requiring expensive slate roofs in these areas is unreasonable (and snobbish) but at the same time it's also pretty standard (actually speaking from some personal experience here) and should have been expected.

British planning permission is stupid and petty and extremely arbitrary at the best of times but the lesson here is don't place bricks until the legal part is written in stone because they are merciless motherfuckers and if you fuck around with them you WILL find out. They will pull your house down before allowing it to exist with the slightest divergence from their exact specifications. The flip side is once this stuff is finalised "written in stone" really is the right way to put it. Part of the reason they're so unwilling to grant anything permission is because it's almost impossible to take back. If over the centuries every farmer had been given permission to just build this odd thing here and there we'd have a lot less green land than we currently do.