Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I thought the general train of thought was that the Golden Globes were horseshit and a joke

That's why I didn't think too badly of that first Gary Oldman quote in that one tweet

But then someone posted another

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I mean, yes

I was citing that fact as evidence one might use to back up that opinion

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So my roommate has held for a while that Luke Skywalker looking at the binary suns is his favorite scene in cinema.

And he'd constantly ask me for mine, and I didn't have one for a while.

But, after watching Jurassic Park, I think mine might be when Alan Grant & Eli Sattler see dinosaurs for the first time.

That scene is filled with so much hope and joy and optimism.

Its beaming with happiness.

And forty minutes later the film shifts into full on terror mode.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    I thought I was having some sort of break with reality when I saw the trailers for Liam Neeson's new Train Movie where he solves a train conspiracy. I could've sworn that there was already a movie where Neeson is contacted mysteriously on public transit and has to find the terrorists. Turns out yeah, he did Non-Stop in 2014 which was a Plane Conspiracy and this train thing is different.

What's bizarre to me is that this new movie isn't a sequel, it's just the same basic premise, again

why must we as a society continue to trap Liam Neeson in large vehicles and force him to solve riddles? He has suffered enough.

What's next? a submarine? Let this man rest

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Jurassic Park is always full terror mode! It's a nightmare zoo filled with a mad billionaires bullfrog-dinosaur chimeras! It's madness back to front, madness Hammond! How many must die?!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Jurassic Park is always full terror mode! It's a nightmare zoo filled with a mad billionaires bullfrog-dinosaur chimeras! It's madness back to front, madness Hammond! How many must die?!

richard-Attenborough-banner-600x350.jpg

Let me show you.

• Options
    I'll see you in hell you mad bastard! Dinosaur hell!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So my roommate has held for a while that Luke Skywalker looking at the binary sons is his favorite scene in cinema.

And he'd constantly ask me for mine, and I didn't have one for a while.

But, after watching Jurassic Park, I think mine might be when Alan Grant & Eli Sattler see dinosaurs for the first time.

That scene is filled with so much hope and joy and optimism.

Its beaming with happiness.

And forty minutes later the film shifts into full on terror mode.

Mine is the climax of speed racer

It's so happy and exciting and overwhelming

It still makes me tear up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Zonugal I am entirely thrown by your roommate expressing an agreeable opinion about media.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    My favorite scene in cinema is the USS Indianapolis scene from Jaws

• Options
    That makes me think of a crazy thing man, me and a friend did "what the fucks on netflix" and amazingly there was Jaws immediately so we watched Jaws and I know for a stone cold human fact that they were upright and eyes open during that scene and they blanked on it, didn't follow, boring

I'm still shaken

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    So, I finally got around to watching Coco.

Boy does that movie have a couple moments where it just wrenches your heart out, huh?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Boy does that movie have a couple moments where it just wrenches your heart out, huh?

CPFPo5I.png

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more images that come to mind, but I think this frame takes it for me.

3bd0b52115b1d9db8430fd76c3f5041a4db32c89_xlarge.jpg

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Can the trench run from A New Hope count as a favorite scene

Because boy howdy, that would be it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more images that come to mind, but I think this frame takes it for me.

What's this

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

What's this

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker I think. Not one of his one's I've seen.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Not my favorite overall, but a recent favorite is the "We Know the Way" segment of Moana.

Another (not so recent) is Gandalf explaining death to Pippin in Return of the King. I tear up every time.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My honest to god favorite shot is one of the opening ones of Blade Runner 2049, as he flies over all those grey semi-underground habitats.

I literally gasped seeing it in Imax.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't know, either the beginning of the Lion King is my favorite or the end of the Lion King is my favorite

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Really that whole movie is a cinematographic feast. Say what you want about the characters or plot but damn there's a lot of exquisitely beautiful shots in that film.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I think almost all my favorite shots are in Tron Legacy, what a gorgeous god damn movie, every frame is my #aesthetic, I would put almost any single one on my wall.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular

I have never bolted faster from a theater than the ending of Coco. Can't let strangers see the weird looking guy sitting alone in the front row crying. I felt like I got fucking shanked, but had spent the films length telling me that it was ok. I was ok with my shanking.

It really was amazing in that a theme that other studios would just take a visual inspiration from, Pixar dove into the idea of remembrance, legacy, and how people live on.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Dimosar wrote: »
    I thought I was having some sort of break with reality when I saw the trailers for Liam Neeson's new Train Movie where he solves a train conspiracy. I could've sworn that there was already a movie where Neeson is contacted mysteriously on public transit and has to find the terrorists. Turns out yeah, he did Non-Stop in 2014 which was a Plane Conspiracy and this train thing is different.

What's bizarre to me is that this new movie isn't a sequel, it's just the same basic premise, again

why must we as a society continue to trap Liam Neeson in large vehicles and force him to solve riddles? He has suffered enough.

Die Hard in an airport.

Die Hard in...

Liam Neeson on a train.

Liam Neeson on a submarine.

Liam Neeson in a building.

Etc.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Liam Neeson in a box
    Liam Neeson with a fox
    Liam Neeson in Japan
    With Godzilla and Rodan

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Waypoint Radio just reminded me that I have still somehow never watched Prince Of Darkness or In The Mouth Of Madness

So I guess that's this weekend sorted

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Waypoint Radio just reminded me that I have still somehow never watched Prince Of Darkness or In The Mouth Of Madness

in the mouth of madness is my favorite carpenter movie, and i am OBSSESSED with prince of darkness

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

in the mouth of madness is my favorite carpenter movie, and i am OBSSESSED with prince of darkness

I haven't watched either of them myself, but the re-recording of the Mouth of Madness theme on Carpenter's latest record is fucking sick
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ771POEli8

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

My friend and I occasionally would randomly scream IM SORRY ABOUT THE BALLS at one another for a good bit.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don’t like Prince Of Darkness too terribly much, but In The Mouth Of Madness is p. good

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Dimosar wrote: »

Die Hard in an airport.

Die Hard in...

Liam Neeson on a train.

Liam Neeson on a submarine.

Liam Neeson in a building.

Etc.

but imagine if there were a bunch of movies where Bruce Willis is in a large enclosed space that is taken over by thieves disguised as terrorists and he has to take them down cause the cops can't help, but none of them were in the same continuity.

so it's like if he was John Mcclane in Die Hard and then Sleve Mcdiachel in The Policeman, and he's weirdly just doing the exact die hard premise like they couldn't afford the rights to it

My theory is that there's an alternate universe where the plane movie had some rewrites and became a train movie, and some enterprising scientist took a reel to our universe and sold it to Miramax or whoever

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Liam Neeson doing a bunch of whatever action movies is pretty much because his wife died and he tried to focus on work to get through the grief

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Fishman wrote: »

What's this

Yeah, it’s Stalker. I’m a big Tarkovsky fan, and this is my favourite of his movies. It’s also maybe his most accessible, next to Solaris. Check it out!

Here’s the trailer for the new restoration. The Criterion 4K release is stunning.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not sure if it's my absolute favorite but it's up there.

Field of Dreams.

Ray forces Terrence Mann to go to a baseball game with him. While there he gets another vision of "Moonlight Graham" and realizes he made a mistake dragging Terrance to the game. They leave, Ray drops him off at his apartment in his VW Minibus. It's night, you can see the steam rising from the sewer grates. The camera cuts to a first person perspective as Ray turns the bus around, and you hear that sound. A deep bass tone resonates and Terrance Mann is standing in the middle of the street blocking Ray's progress... "Moonlight Graham" he croaks in James Earl Jones unmistakable tones.

I fucking love that moment.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

CPFPo5I.png

There's a really good short story about this concept, I think it's by Neil Gaiman but I may be misremembering. But in that, the deal was that you couldn't truly move on until you were forgotten, so if you were famous it became kind of a curse, like Jesus is stuck there for eternity while other people get to see what comes next.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

What's this

Yeah, it’s Stalker. I’m a big Tarkovsky fan, and this is my favourite of his movies. It’s also maybe his most accessible, next to Solaris. Check it out!

Here’s the trailer for the new restoration. The Criterion 4K release is stunning.

I just bought a DVD set of his without knowing anything about him really. I've been looking forward to getting to stalker and solaris.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The only other moment that for me could compete against that dino-introduction scene from Jurassic Park would be when Peter finally becomes Pan in Hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwpWcdy3vNI

Zonugal on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

CPFPo5I.png

There's a really good short story about this concept, I think it's by Neil Gaiman but I may be misremembering. But in that, the deal was that you couldn't truly move on until you were forgotten, so if you were famous it became kind of a curse, like Jesus is stuck there for eternity while other people get to see what comes next.

oh no it was David Eagleman. Jeffrey Tambor read it on radiolab http://www.radiolab.org/story/91681-when-am-i-dead/

it's called Metamorphosis

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

how much time do you think was wasted on that set by everyone laughing when the camera operator said "rolling"

ten minutes? ten hundred minutes?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.