As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am okay with having two nic cage ass nic cage movies in a year

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Edit

And I see this isn't the tv thread Oh well

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I am intrigued by that murder parent movie, and I like Nic Cage, and think he’s very good at being unhinged but

I dunno, I actually don’t think Cage is very good at being intimidating. So I’m a little skeptical about a horror movie with him as the antagonist, even if it is a horror-comedy

• Options
    edited January 2018
    he plays the role as a dude just absolutely crushed by the reality of his unfulfilled mid-life existence so it actually really, really works. he fucking hates his life so much.

it also is not a horror comedy at all.

the surprise for me was how intimidating and unhinged selma blair got.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Isn't this the exact same story as 1? Is this just a remake that couldn't afford Samuel L. Jackson and LL Cool J?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    i'm about to watch mom and dad, but i just saw the trailer for the clapper and i'm at an utter loss

what is this movie

https://youtu.be/j6hNsQCCH4g

I have no answer to what this movie is, but I do want to see it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    i am okay with having two nic cage ass nic cage movies in a year

my capacity for enjoying nic cage went a lot higher after someone pointed out to me that he's not overacting, because that's something you do on accident

what nic cage does is a deliberate, intentional choice

Paul Constant calls it mega-acting, which seems about right

Shorty on
  • Options
    i'm about to watch mom and dad, but i just saw the trailer for the clapper and i'm at an utter loss

what is this movie

https://youtu.be/j6hNsQCCH4g

I don't like ed helms at all but this movie looks really charming

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    he plays the role as a dude just absolutely crushed by the reality of his unfulfilled mid-life existence so it actually really, really works. he fucking hates his life so much.

So is Mom and Dad a straight up horror flick with maybe some dark humor instead of a horror comedy?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The trailer very very much pushes the horror comedy angle

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    No-one told me Angela Basset was in Mi6, it just keeps getting better and better

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I wonder where it's set this time

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Obviously Blackpool, just look at it

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I am so ready for a Man from UNCLE sequel.

Is that still not happening, or have the gods blessed us?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I am so ready for a Man from UNCLE sequel.

Is that still not happening, or have the gods blessed us?

I think last I heard a script was commissioned, but nothing more than that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Obviously Blackpool, just look at it

Ah Yeah, they must have cgi'd all the pissed up stag and hen dos out of the background

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Guys, I need some tactical espionage pickmeup.

I'm replaying Metal Gear and we're never getting another. Kojima is 90% made of movies, so recommend some I may not have seen.

I have seen:

Escape from New York
    Guns of Navarone
    Die Hard
    North by Northwest
    James Bond (a lot of em)
    Rambo
    Peacemaker
    Executive Decsion

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Oceans Eleven isn't a spy movie but has lots of slick, cool moments.

You could also watch the Bourne movies,

• Options
    Dr. Strangelove, The Great Escape, and honestly the show 24 are all good Metal Gear-esque touchstones that all hit very different aspects of the series

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't know anything about Metal Gear, but The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was the best spy movie of the past several years.

Also, I don't know, The Losers maybe?

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    If you're looking for military spy/covert ops movies Where Eagles Dare is the first glaring omission from that list that comes to mind. Richard Burton & Clint Eastwood sneak into a nazi castle in the alps, it and Guns of Navarone are like the two best movies in that style I can thing of right now. Force 10 from Navarone is the squeal to Guns but not as good as either of those from what I remember

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    There are really good spy movies out there. "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy", "Three Days of the Condor", "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", "Argo", "The Eye of the Needle", etc. But the "tactical espionage" you're thinking of would be more like Mission Impossible, Bourne series, James Bond, etc that you already know.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    who's taylor ?

• Options
    who's taylor ?

Well, first of all, a multihyphenate

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    who's taylor ?

Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    who's taylor ?

goddamnit

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The original title was Tinker, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Soldier, Spy but it tested poorly with the audience when they realized JTT wasn't in the movie.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The original title was Tinker, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Soldier, Spy but it tested poorly with the audience when they realized JTT wasn't in the movie.

To be fair, the original decision was because he wasn't born when the movie was made.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Guys, I need some tactical espionage pickmeup.

I'm replaying Metal Gear and we're never getting another. Kojima is 90% made of movies, so recommend some I may not have seen.

I have seen:

Escape from New York
    Guns of Navarone
    Die Hard
    North by Northwest
    James Bond (a lot of em)
    Rambo
    Peacemaker
    Executive Decsion

Yo @manwiththemachinegun, this is going to sound a little crazy but you should definitely watch Speed.

Parts of the soundtrack sound exactly like Metal Gear Solid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr1r9jEGJQ

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Speed is one of the best action movies ever made

• Options
    l
    Sorce wrote: »

So is Mom and Dad a straight up horror flick with maybe some dark humor instead of a horror comedy?

it is! there are very few jokey bits in it.

it's super over the top, but it's played completely straight

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ogotai wrote: »
    If you're looking for military spy/covert ops movies Where Eagles Dare is the first glaring omission from that list that comes to mind. Richard Burton & Clint Eastwood sneak into a nazi castle in the alps, it and Guns of Navarone are like the two best movies in that style I can thing of right now. Force 10 from Navarone is the squeal to Guns but not as good as either of those from what I remember

Agreed, though I think of it more as proto-Wolfenstein. :+1:
    There are really good spy movies out there. "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy", "Three Days of the Condor", "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", "Argo", "The Eye of the Needle", etc. But the "tactical espionage" you're thinking of would be more like Mission Impossible, Bourne series, James Bond, etc that you already know.

They don't have to have all Rambo levels of action. Peacemaker which I find incredibly underrated has only like, two major action sequences and the rest is intel work.

I don't like the Bourne series, Damon is incredibly flat in those for me.

24 was the bomb. And I hate we'll never get a movie for one last Jack Bauer rampage.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ooooooh! @manwiththemachinegun, you should also watch Michael Bay's the Rock.

The opening scene (and general plot) is basically right out of a MGS game.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Speed is one of the best action movies ever made

I love finally realizing that Keanu goddamn Reeves quietly became my favorite action movie star. It took awhile, but it sunk in just how many different action movies he's done that are in my favorites column.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Ooooooh! manwiththemachinegun, you should also watch Michael Bay's the Rock.

The opening scene (and general plot) is basically right of a MGS game.

oh god yes, The Rock is basically MGS 2 but with Nic Cage and Sean Connery instead of Raiden

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    mission impossible ghost prots or rogue nation?

you could watch lockout aka space jail if you want to see an okay-enough space rip-off escape from New York

i might also say that total recall shares some sensibilities with mgs

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    watch robot jox

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    you could watch kong skull island to see the efforts of someone who also really wants to make the metal gear solid movie

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The opening scene of Winter Soldier is MGS, but how I play MGS3-V (ie it counts as stealth if there's nobody conscious or alive to tell anyone else I was there).

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.