As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I like I, Tonya, but I do not like whoever was the music supervisor on I, Tonya

That movie has a Suicide Squad-esque level of "please stop with the music, the very, very, obvious music"

I swear there's on average a new pop song placement every like 4 and a half minutes in that movie, it's insane overkill

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The bullet points say that the problem is that the romance is too male gazey and I just rolled my eyes so hard that I shit my pants

It's not male gazey, nah

My problem with the romance-- movie spoilers here, don't click if you haven't seen it
    --was that it was a bit unclear to what extent Fishdude was ......... able to consent?

They play up how he's unable to comprehend his situation a couple times and how he's acting on instinct, such as in the kitty chomp scene. Which raises some questions for me as to what his relationship to Elisa can be, how he views it, and whether Elisa is taking advantage of him or not.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.
    he's a literal river god. Considering the historical aspects of god and mortal mating,
    There's strong reason to believe that this wouldn't be his first rodeo

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hello thread, I am watching Robocop for the first time

This intro is excellent

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hello thread, I am watching Robocop for the first time

This intro is excellent

Okay when you're done I need to know how much you would pay for it

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The bullet points say that the problem is that the romance is too male gazey and I just rolled my eyes so hard that I shit my pants

It's not male gazey, nah

My problem with the romance-- movie spoilers here, don't click if you haven't seen it
    --was that it was a bit unclear to what extent Fishdude was ......... able to consent?

They play up how he's unable to comprehend his situation a couple times and how he's acting on instinct, such as in the kitty chomp scene. Which raises some questions for me as to what his relationship to Elisa can be, how he views it, and whether Elisa is taking advantage of him or not.

That’s a really interesting take

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Well, Breen was mentioned earlier. Why not?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular

It's not male gazey, nah

I did wonder about that, but I think it can be noted that:
    Elisa herself is mute, which I think was a smart choice for several reasons, including that she can no more vocalize her thoughts than he can.

Also, he is seen to learn some of the sign language she teaches him (such as egg). I think it can be inferred that he manages to learn more while he’s with her, but we just don’t see it (towards the end he seems to sign more, although it would’ve certainly been nice to see them conduct more of a conversation). After all, they spend a lot more time together than what we see on the screen.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Churchill was evil

Yep

Yeah, it's why I haven't seen Darkest Hour and am not sure I'll be able to. Churchill was complicit in the death of millions of Indians. He actively diverted any food supplies being sent to Bengal to deal with the famine of 1943 and when questioned why he said, "Famine or no famine, Indians will breed like rabbits." When pressed further, he asked "Then why hasn't Gandhi died yet?"

He blocked Indian independence at every turn. It might have come in the 1930, instead of 1947, if not for Churchill and his cohort. Between 1930 and 1947, religious strife, egged on by British policies, accelerated so much that along with independence, partition became inevitable. The partition led to hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of deaths.

He was a vile, racist man, directly responsible for the loss of countless lives. Seeing him hailed as one of the great leaders of the 20th century and a "hero" makes my blood boil.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Well, Breen was mentioned earlier. Why not?

Oh maaan

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I prefer this "Shape of Water" review

Hello, my name is Jamie Loftus and for the past quarter century, I have prided myself on never wanting to fuck a fish.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Pity those poor, ignorant souls that never wanted to fuck a fish.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    that looks pretty good

but I am 5 years old and will never not giggle at the name Imogen Poots

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

It's not male gazey, nah

I did wonder about that, but I think it can be noted that:
    Elisa herself is mute, which I think was a smart choice for several reasons, including that she can no more vocalize her thoughts than he can.

Also, he is seen to learn some of the sign language she teaches him (such as egg). I think it can be inferred that he manages to learn more while he’s with her, but we just don’t see it (towards the end he seems to sign more, although it would’ve certainly been nice to see them conduct more of a conversation). After all, they spend a lot more time together than what we see on the screen.
    That's a good point about Elisa's mute status. I agree that the movie would have been improved with some signed conversations between them.

The point where this was solidified for was the (very fun) musical number sequence toward the end where Elisa is musing about how Fishdude will never know how much she cares for him. And it cuts back to the table where she's signing all this and he does not appear to comprehend any of it. "Egg!" Is all we're getting from him. He'll never know? Why can't she just tell him? The answer seems to be "because he would not understand."

I think they were trying to show he was more of an equal to Elisa at the very end when he finally signs back that more complex idea "you and me together." But that felt like too little, too late.

Not saying it's a bad film, far from it! It just didn't quite work for me, and after thinking about it,
    that's the main reason.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    With kids, every vacation is just more work anyway

You could say I need a vacation

from

my

vacation
    Don't worry, your spot in The Bad Place is assured.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I actually burst out laughing when he tossed the computer into the fire.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just saw A Quiet Passion. It was like if Jane Austen wrote a biopic about Emily Dickinson. I loved it.

At first it felt a little too typical stuffy-period-piece, albeit much wittier, but quickly started to get more...abstract? Poetic? There are sequences in the latter part of the film that feel almost like Tarkovsky, or Bergman.

It’s also a shame it isn’t getting more acknlowdgement for its cast. Everyone is great.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I actually burst out laughing when he tossed the computer into the fire.

This is the greatest commercial I've ever seen.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Pity those POOR, UNFORTUNATE SOULS that never wanted to fuck a fish.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Pity those POOR, UNFORTUNATE SOULS that never wanted to fuck a fish.

That doesn't count, Ursula isn't a fish she's a cephalopod.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think we've all had sex with a cephalopod at this point.

That's just a Tuesday for most of us.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like the word "Cephalopod"

It's a good word

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    that looks pretty good

but I am 5 years old and will never not giggle at the name Imogen Poots

I got that out of my system after seeing the Fright Night remake
    Okay I'm lying, hehe

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

this seems like an ok idea but the girl is...not good and her lines are also pretty bad.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Imogen Poots is a giant danger sign for a movie. I think she's really bad. Survivable, for sure (The Green Room is still great) but definitely a red flag

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I like her in the fright night remake

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The only two movies I've seen with her I've quite enjoyed. Her performances included.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I like I, Tonya, but I do not like whoever was the music supervisor on I, Tonya

That movie has a Suicide Squad-esque level of "please stop with the music, the very, very, obvious music"

I swear there's on average a new pop song placement every like 4 and a half minutes in that movie, it's insane overkill
    my fav movie reviewer had similar thoughts
    Vern wrote:
    From the naming convention that brought you I, ROBOT and I, FRANKENSTEIN comes I, TONYA. I, Vern, was concerned about this one from the second the production company logos started. Obviously I’m all for movies kicking off with a blast of funk, but I couldn’t see how such music represented Tonya Harding, the scandal-scarred bad girl of Olympic figure skating, icon of early ’90s teased bangs, discussed in this movie as going to a Richard Marx concert, disparaged for her allegedly low class music choices in competitions (“Sleeping Bag” by ZZ Top), declaring herself a redneck, marrying a white man who wears a turtleneck under a cardigan.

Okay, they got a Chicago song on there, I buy that. But Violent Femmes? Siouxsie and the Banshees covering Iggy Pop? And yes, there’s a prominent use of “Spirit in the Sky.” All movies that aspire to hipness have “Spirit in the Sky.”

Throughout the movie these wall-to-wall needle drops never said to me “This is the soul of Tonya Harding,” but instead “Guys, this is like BOOGIE NIGHTS! This is like GOODFELLAS! Right Guys? It’s like Scorsese!” An Entertainment Weekly interview with music supervisor Susan Jacobs confirms that she sees it as “the soundtrack of AMERICAN HUSTLE or a Scorsese film.” She says they chose ’70s and early ’80s music because “there’s a warmth to the ’70s that does not exist to the ’80s and ’90s.” Sorry Richard Marx.

It’s a small thing. Most people shouldn’t care. But it felt false to me, and kept me a little skeptical.
    http://outlawvern.com/2018/01/16/i-tonya/

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I fucking hate Spirit in the Sky

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    She was in 28 Weeks Later which is a terrible film but I don't think that was her fault.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like Spirit in the Sky. I also like that it was written by a non-christian/observant jewish person and so is kind of a christian...fan? song

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Spirit in the Sky is a real good song, but is definitely a bit overused on movie soundtracks

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I can't recall any move I found imogen poots objectionable in

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hehe

Poots

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Daddy's going on vacation to the tree in the back yard. See you all in two weeks.

I feel like that's the plot of several Married With Children episodes.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Daddy's going on vacation to the tree in the back yard. See you all in two weeks.

I simultaneously took this to both the darkest and most comical places possible...

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

Do not click this spoiler unless you have read the graphic novel or don't care about spoilers!
    I know they can't give away the twist in the trailer, but this is going to lead to more crying children then the Bridge to Terabithia movie.

Especially sticking stuff like "From the producers of Harry Potter" at the beginning.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Is this the first time someone of desi descent has been nominated for a screenplay?

This discussion has been closed.